PDA

View Full Version : Gardner-Webb 27 - Western Carolina 20

elcid83
September 13th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Game 2 - Gardner-Webb takes on Western Carolina at Cullowhee in a 6:00 matchup. After a 3.5 hour drive on the interstate we arrived at WCU for my first trip to Cullowhee. I was impressed with the WCU campus and its setting in the Appalachian Mountains. We parked in the baseball field parking lot and enjoyed some good fellowship and some ice cold beers [I highly recommend the Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale] with fellow Bulldog families. We were serenaded by the WCU drumline as we discussed last week's W over Mars Hill and talked about the possibilities over WC. Needless to say, we are very proud of this team and we have high expectations for them.

After a brief walk, we arrived at the stadium and the crowd of over 9,600 was excited about the football game. Whitmire Stadium is an older arena set into the hillside that has received some good recent upgrades. We got to our seats on the visitors side and I was a little surprised to see that the WCU fans sat on both sides of the field - this is not something I have seen at any of the Southern Conference venues I have visited in the past [Citadel, Furman, Wofford, and Elon]. I suspect the homers like the visitors side because the sun is to your back on that side.

The Bulldog faithful traveled well and were situated in and around the end zone near the basketball arena. After a look around, I decided my best perch was going to be on the top row of the visitors side and I made my way up the stairs for an eagle's eye view.

1st Quarter - GW received the opening kickoff and comenced a 4+ minutes opening drive [10 plays - 6 rushes and 4 passes] that culminated in a 9 yd TD pass from Stan Doolittle to Tyson Petty. WC fumbled on their first play from scrimmage and GW recovered. After failing to get the 1st down, GW sent Ryan Gates in to kick the field goal and GW goes ahead 10-0 with 8:58 left in the 1st Q. WCU's next drive lasted 4 plays and ended when they failed to convert a 4th down and 2 against the tough Bulldog D. GW got the ball at the WC 28 and failed to generate any offense. This series ended when Ryan Gates his FG attempt. WC started making some progress on their next drive and got to the GW 29 yd line. GW ended this drive when Bryce Nixon [Soph] intercepted a Zach Jaynes pass in the end zone. The touchback put GW on the 20 yd line to start the last drive of the quarter. Doolittle completes two passes and GW is at the WC 45 yd line when time expires. GW 10 - WC 0 [WC has not scored a point in 5 quarters at this point].

2nd Quarter - GW continues its drive from the WC 45 yd line. The drive came to an end when Ryan Gates' attempted FG was blocked by WC. WC's drive stalls and they kick the first punt of the game. Both teams step up the defense and both teams trade punts back and forth for a few series. GW starts the last drive at their 38 yd line. After 12 plays, GW advances 50 yds and sets up a 30 yd Ryan Gates FG which is good [GW 13- WC 0]. WC has one rushing play after the kickoff and that is the end of the half. [WC has played 6 Qs without a score.]

3rd Quarter - WC's opening drive of the 2nd half comes to an end when Zach Jaynes fumbles and GW recovered at the GW 39 yd line. 12 plays and 5 minutes later, Phillip Peoples rushed the ball into the end zone from 4 yds out for the TD. PAT good [GW 20 - WC 0]. After the kick, Jayne [GW 20 - WC 7]. GW goes 3 and out the next series and WC takes over at the GW 42 yd line. The 3rd Q ends with WC showing some fire in their offensive bellies and they have progresed to the GW 13. [GW 20 - WC 7]

4th Quarter - After everyone sticks 4 fingers up in the air [can the 4th Quarter really be everybody's]. WC settles for a FG to start the 4th Q [GW 20 - WC 10]. GW gets the ball and goes 3 and out again. After the GW punt, WC starts their drive at their 34 yd line. WC marches down the field in 9 plays ending with a 7 yd TD pass from Jaynes to Marquel Pittman. PAT good. [GW 20 - WC 17]. Unfortunately, GW does another 3 and out [choosing to avoid the "stomp on their neck" approach to offensive playcalling which I always prefer]. GW punts and WC starts at their 49 yd line. WC gets to the GW 10 yd line where they are forced to kick a FG [GW 20 - WC 20]. GW needs help at this point as the momentum has clearly shifted to the Cats. Doolittle takes the offense out on the field and GW starts their drive at the GW 21. Typical GW playcalling resumes and Stan completes a 12 yd pass to James Perry [RSo], a 29 yd pass to Jamal Patmon [RJr], and another 4 yd pass to Perry. An 11 yd pass to Phillip Peoples and a few good runs gets GW to the WC 1 yd line. After the QB sneak, Doolittle is in the end zone and the PAT is good. [GW 27 - WC 20]. Inspired by the resurging offene, GW's D hold WC to a 4 and out and GW takes the field with 54 secs left to play. After taking a knee, GW is victorious. Final score [GW 27 - WC 20].

Offensive notes - Doolittle - 23-40-0, 265 yds, 1 TD, 2 sacks. 84 yds net rushing. No offensive turnovers. James Perry caught 7 passes for 91 yds and Jamal Patmon caught 6 passes for 90 yds.

Defensive notes - Marty Patterson and Bryce Nixon each had 7 tackles for the night. Mario Brown had 6. Jordan Woods and Jeffery Williams each had 4. FR Matthew Goods had a 13 yd sack.

Now the Bulldogs get ready for the trip to Raleigh to take on the NC State Wolfpack. Hope to see you there.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!