furman94
September 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Furman Defense. needs improvement.

South Carolina Duke
September 12th, 2009, 08:06 PM
What defense???????

ASU_Fanatic
September 12th, 2009, 08:06 PM
What defense???????Ha good point especially are D-Line. We couldnt touch McNeese's QB today. I was there.

wcucat85
September 12th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hey guys dont worry..............Western has you all covered................we lost at home tonite to Gardner Webb...................New low at Western has been reached.....................I am losing all hope

ASU_Fanatic
September 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hey guys dont worry..............Western has you all covered................we lost at home tonite to Gardner Webb...................New low at Western has been reached.....................I am losing all hopeBut GWU has a solid program you have to remember they only lost to Georgia Tech 10-7 last year.

theasushow
September 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
This game was EXACTLY like the JMU playoff game in 2007. Neither team could stop the other. Just like in '07, our quick strikes hurt us, when we had the ball, we scored in 3-4 minutes. Problem was our defense couldn't stop Rondey Landers, spitting image today, whoever had the ball last was going to win. The only thing missing was a goal line turnover!!!

CatFan22
September 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Is your pass D as bad as ours?

ASU_Fanatic
September 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM
BTW would anyone be interested in me starting a community thread on here?

ASU_Fanatic
September 12th, 2009, 08:16 PM
This game was EXACTLY like the JMU playoff game in 2007. Neither team could stop the other. Just like in '07, our quick strikes hurt us, when we had the ball, we scored in 3-4 minutes. Problem was our defense couldn't stop Rondey Landers, spitting image today, whoever had the ball last was going to win. The only thing missing was a goal line turnover!!!How the f does are kicker miss a 22 yarder?

blueballs
September 12th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Meanwhile GSU is getting owned by SDSU 34-6 after 3 quarters... looks like a race in the SoCon to see who can outsorry who.

wcucat85
September 12th, 2009, 08:17 PM
ASU Fanatic thats what concerns me .....all the programs around us are on the up tick and well..............were just drowning..............

theasushow
September 12th, 2009, 08:18 PM
How the f does are kicker miss a 22 yarder?

great effin question...ofcourse how do we give up 522 yards of offense? how do we let #22 get 250 yards of total offense, he only got the ball EVERY SINGLE PLAY!! he was a jayson foster nightmare all over again,

BEAR
September 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I see ASU dropping mightily in the polls. xlolx

theasushow
September 12th, 2009, 08:23 PM

This person is brilliant. Or maybe I am just a tad bitter over "the best asu team yet" playing like women on defense.

ASU_Fanatic
September 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM
great effin question...ofcourse how do we give up 522 yards of offense? how do we let #22 get 250 yards of total offense, he only got the ball EVERY SINGLE PLAY!! he was a jayson foster nightmare all over again,I guarntee you they threw that effin dump pass 20 times for about 300 of those yards.

ASU_Fanatic
September 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
ASU Fanatic thats what concerns me .....all the programs around us are on the up tick and well..............were just drowning..............I think your Coach will end up being pretty good though. BTW does a Curtis McGill play any for yaw?

wcucat85
September 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
ASU-FAN............Both my brothers went to the game and they called me a little while ago and were saying its the worst the App D has looked in a long time..............I took a full ride to WCU.(football)................They both attended App...............I feel slighted right now...Grew up in the Rock.....Race rock that is...........Richmond County Raiders ....

JROCK98
September 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Exactly asushow, no adjustment was made on no22. I don't know what game our defensive coaches and players were at but they missed out on this guy big time. Our back 7 on defense were not in the game at all!

Saint3333
September 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Losers take pride in the fall of others instead of the accomplishments of themselves.

wcucat85
September 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I have not seen him play as I can recall.I spend too much time watching the trenches......Coach Wagner is a good coach and he has had to deal with a lot since arriving

wcucat85
September 12th, 2009, 08:32 PM
App is still in my opinion S.C. champs when its all over with.

ASU_Fanatic
September 12th, 2009, 08:32 PM
ASU-FAN............Both my brothers went to the game and they called me a little while ago and were saying its the worst the App D has looked in a long time..............I took a full ride to WCU.(football)................They both attended App...............I feel slighted right now...Grew up in the Rock.....Race rock that is...........Richmond County Raiders ....What position are you?

ASU_Fanatic
September 12th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I'll ask again would anyone be interested in an AGS Community Thread?

wcucat85
September 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I played 81 through 85...........Red shirted(medical) one year

ASU_Fanatic
September 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM
What position?

wcucat85
September 12th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I love the game...............Its a great game for life not just for playing...............I owe a lot to the game of football.

ASU_Fanatic
September 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM
OK what position were you?

DG Cowboy
September 12th, 2009, 08:47 PM
great effin question...ofcourse how do we give up 522 yards of offense? how do we let #22 get 250 yards of total offense, he only got the ball EVERY SINGLE PLAY!! he was a jayson foster nightmare all over again,

Well, App will be OK this year. #4 Fourroux and #22 Pendland are pretty decent national caliber players. If you had ONLY Pendland as a stud backfield guy, wouldn't you milk it until App could stop him? I agree App surprised me with no sacks with our young O line.

theasushow
September 12th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Well, App will be OK this year. #4 Fourroux and #22 Pendland are pretty decent national caliber players. If you had ONLY Pendland as a stud backfield guy, wouldn't you milk it until App could stop him? I agree App surprised me with no sacks with our young O line.

I doubt we will see a RB that good this rest of the season. Like I said before, it was like watching Jayson Foster shred our D all over again.

I will say that lost in the horrible D, was the great effort by Devon Moore, 155 yards rushing and another 42 receiving. Had we won, he would have been the player of the game.

DG Cowboy
September 12th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I doubt we will see a RB that good this rest of the season. Like I said before, it was like watching Jayson Foster shred our D all over again.

I will say that lost in the horrible D, was the great effort by Devon Moore, 155 yards rushing and another 42 receiving. Had we won, he would have been the player of the game.

Had you won, and it was only a sliver away from that, it would be hard to decide between Moore and Edwards. First game back and he looked like that? Amazing.

Mikeyosef
September 12th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I saw someone said we would still win the SoCon....Not with that Defense. Looked just like the first quarter of the ECU game, just pitiful. I have never been more dissapointed in our defense, never...and I've been around a while. Hope Jerry has a heart to heart with then and gets them to understand what's what around here or it's going to be a very long and painful season.

SideLine Shooter
September 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Someone, a MSU person said that game was the second highest offensive production in their schools history.:(

JTCowboy
September 12th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Was the ASU defense that bad, or McNeese O that good? xconfusedx

Mikeyosef
September 12th, 2009, 09:48 PM
BTW. McNeese State did everything just about right. I wouldn't be so upset with our defense if they hadn't been beaten so badly, over and over again by that little screen pass. It was there for MS when ever they needed a few yards. MS played a good game and if our Offense wasn't humming pretty well this would have been a blowout!

BEAR
September 12th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Losers take pride in the fall of others instead of the accomplishments of themselves.

Yeah, you've been beating that drum long enough. xlolx Don't be so bitter. I've noticed ASU has had continual success since I've started following the FCS. Don't worry, McNeese is a worthy team to barely lose to. Those Louisiana schools have the mojo. Plus it was a bad night. I had you guys predicted to beat them by 14. Guess I was wrong. xlolx

proasu89
September 12th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Was the ASU defense that bad, or McNeese O that good? xconfusedx

Not there in person, but online it looked like both. Congrats on the win!

Mikeyosef
September 12th, 2009, 09:52 PM
JTCowboy; you guys do have a good offense but anyone at the game could tell you ASUs defense was anemic at best. No way we beat a team with a good QB and talented running back that can catch the ball... I hope you guys have a good rest of the season and that we get our act together and see you again in the Playoffs. One more thing; the MS fans I met where great.

JTCowboy
September 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Not there in person, but online it looked like both. Congrats on the win!

I am impressed with how classy the ASU crowd has been all week prior to the game and even now.xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
September 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
JTCowboy; you guys do have a good offense but anyone at the game could tell you ASUs defense was anemic at best. No way we beat a team with a good QB and talented running back that can catch the ball... I hope you guys have a good rest of the season and that we get our act together and see you again in the Playoffs. One more thing; the MS fans I met where great.

I think that the App defense also had a hard time matching up with McNeese's wideouts. Part of that opinion was from watching and part of it was from listening to the App State announcers. They were talking about how the App State defensive backs were getting beaten when they tried to man up. Of course not getting a pass rush is part of that.

If you remember, on the last drive, it looked like App State tried to man up and got burned twice. I'd have to look at it again to be sure it was man coverage that got beaten but that's what my impression was.

JohnStOnge
September 12th, 2009, 10:07 PM
This game was EXACTLY like the JMU playoff game in 2007. Neither team could stop the other. Just like in '07, our quick strikes hurt us, when we had the ball, we scored in 3-4 minutes. Problem was our defense couldn't stop Rondey Landers, spitting image today, whoever had the ball last was going to win. The only thing missing was a goal line turnover!!!

I actually think McNeese caught a break due to its own imperfect execution. On McNeese's last drive wideout Immanuel Friddle (88) got wide open. I couldn't see the whole field but it looked to me like he was gone for a TD if Fourroux hits him in stride. The App State announcers said the same thing so I'm pretty sure it was the case. But Fourroux underthrew the ball and Friddle had to go down to catch the ball.

If Fourroux would've hit him in stride McNeese would've taken the lead but App State's offense would've had over a minute, at least I think over a minute, to come back and tie the game. And I think they had all three timeouts at that piont too. When it happened I told my brothers watching the game with me that there was a silver lining in that, if they did go on to score, App State wouldn't have as much time on the clock.

ASU_Fanatic
September 13th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Was the ASU defense that bad, or McNeese O that good? xconfusedxThe ASU D is that bad I would love to know how much yards that dump of pass got for MSU in this game.

asknoquarter21
September 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM
1. No adjustments were made in the game. EVER!

2. We had no pass rush

3. Our LBs were left in space with a RB they couldn't run with. (great coaching on McNeese's part)

4. We had 1 player that was burnt EVERY play. I hate to call anyone out on a national thread, but man, if he is starting in two weeks I will be very surprised.

McNeese walked in with a plan and they never had to change it. Great game by them and terrible performance by the coaches first then the players. As soon as we scored with time left I knew we were in trouble.

Great game McNeese.

JohnStOnge
September 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
The ASU D is that bad I would love to know how much yards that dump of pass got for MSU in this game.

I'm thinking 90. That's because Pendland had 121 yards on 10 receptions and one reception was a 31 yard TD on a downfield pass.

ncman071
September 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM
It's a shame we don't have the great defensive ends like we've had in the past. we really haven't had a pass rush in a couple years now. but last night was pathetic...a total of 2 qb hurries and absolutely no sacks. we have to do a better job getting to the qb.

CamelCityAppFan
September 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM
As soon as we scored with time left I knew we were in trouble.

Great game McNeese.

Yeah, when we made that last score, everyone I was with was cheering. I turned to my friend and said "we left waaaaay too much time on the clock...

asknoquarter21
September 13th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Forget too much time.

I just didn't want our D back on the field!

Aho_Old_Guy
September 13th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I am impressed with how classy the ASU crowd has been all week prior to the game and even now.xthumbsupx

Give us a chance to change your mind xlolx

I imagine every team in the SoCon will 'go to school' on the McNeese video. I look forward to seeing an endless array of screens and dump-offs this year until the Mountaineers stop 'em.

Hopefully .... you guys did us a favor and the Appalachian defense will learn something from that 500+ yards of total offense that smacked 'em in the face.

Saint3333
September 13th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Stay classy UCAbear, what a joke.

JohnStOnge
September 13th, 2009, 09:03 AM

I imagine every team in the SoCon will 'go to school' on the McNeese video. I look forward to seeing an endless array of screens and dump-offs this year until the Mountaineers stop 'em.

Hopefully .... you guys did us a favor and the Appalachian defense will learn something from that 500+ yards of total offense that smacked 'em in the face.

Time will tell but I don't know if App will play against an overall set of skill position players in the Southern like McNeese has. Going into the season it was known that they'd be very strong in that area. The question was the offensive line, which lost four starters but was believed to be talented. Time will tell on that front too.

One guy in the skill set who wasn't on my "fan" radar until yesterday is #89, Corday Clark. He's a junior who hadn't previously seen all that much playing time. Only three catches all last year. I wasn't even paying attention to where he was lining up yesterday but assumed he's a wideout because he runs and moves like one. But he's listed as a 6'3", 230 pound tight end. If he's really a tight end that's a really agile, athletic tight end that's going to be hard for people to match up with.

WOCO
September 13th, 2009, 09:08 AM
App's D struggled, but there was a big problem with tackling. It wasn't always and issue of people being out of position. A lot of times defenders were there and just didn't make the play.

CrackerRiley
September 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
It was rough watching all those third down conversions... they were 2-2 on 4th down as well. It was annoying being around underclassmen that didn't know how to get loud as well.

Appinator
September 13th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Wow.....

I was so mad last night I couldn't even watch ANY of the other games after I got home.

As mentioned by numerous other posters, we were KILLED by the screen and dump passes in the flats (not all of them were screens, most were 2nd and 3rd reads to the RB who then had an open field in front of him). It was PITIFUL, almost comical, on how consistently they went to those plays on 3rd down. Our man coverage on the WRs was actually pretty good, but it was our lack of personnel in the flats that kept us from stopping these plays.

I think it just wasn't the defense as a whole to blame, but specifically the defensive line. We got nothing from them. Horrible. They got nothing on the pass rush, and were porous against the run.

I cannot tell you how many times I saw these guys jump up and celebrate, thump their chest, etc. for giving up a 4 yard play! It was insane how many times we wanted act like we won an NC for just not giving up a TD! Here is a news-flash: if you give up a 25 yard play and then knock someone out of bounds, YOU SHOULDN'T CELEBRATE IT. These guys needed to be humbled, and I hope this loss did it. We need to expect greatness on both sides of the ball, not just on offense. I hope Coach Moore takes them all to task for it.

The positives? AE is back and looked like he never left. Solid from start to finish, read the defense well, and directed the offense with precision. My only complaint would be on our last score. On the play we scored on and the one before, we left about 20 seconds on the play clock, which would have prevented McNeese from having enough time to drive down the field and score. Simply slowing the pace would have given us a shot in OT.

Congrats to McNeese. Your coaches game planed great, and your QB executed well. You were able to keep our O off the field long enough, and managed the clock with perfection. Good luck with the rest of the SLC schedule.

JohnStOnge
September 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I hope I can watch the game again to look more closely at what was going on. I'm hearing that McNeese was running a lot more two tight end formation than it did last year. And if so the other tight end was Corday Clark 9 (#89). I was looking at it and thinking he was a wideout running wide open all the time but if what I'm hearing is right he was getting open from the tight end position.

The thing about him is that he's really more like a big (6'3", 230 pounds) wide receiver. In fact, all day yesterday I thought 89 was a wideout I'd never heard of that App couldn't cover because he moves and runs like a wideout. It makes sense that if somebody tries to cover him like they'd cover a tight end it may cause problems because he's faster and more agile than a tight end is usually going to be. I don't know if that's one of the things going on but I do know he was causing some problems for the defense.

Anyway, aside from a win under circumstances in which I thought it was going to be an App State blowout, Clark was the biggest pleasant surprise I had yesterday. I'd never even heard of the guy but I think he was a huge factor in the game. People are talking about the swing passes but Clark had 137 receiving yards; apparently from the tight end position. He had one TD and also got wide open to set up the winning field goal. In fact my brother insists that he didn't step out of bounds at the two and actually scored. I don't know about that but it doesn't matter. He's the one that got them down that close by getting really wide open. And he got really wide open like that a number of times.

A McNeese fan knew going in that the Cowboys are going to get production from Pendland and Fourroux. But it was nice to see the emergence of what may be a new major contributor to the offense. I don't think McNeese would've won the game without him.

appirishmen
September 13th, 2009, 03:57 PM
What defense???????

i agree.....we need some work on concentration if we have any hopes on the rest of the season. the offense is the only thing that kept us in the game. i was impressed with JMU.

ASU_Fanatic
September 13th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Another thing that killed is that on alot of McNeese'e big pass plays we had a linebacker on the receiver. Thats not supposed to happen.

yosef1969
September 13th, 2009, 05:39 PM
The title of this thread is an oxymoron. Are you sure ASU fielded a defense yesterday? It was broken in every phase. Zero pressure, over pursuit, poor tackling and bad position, etc. doesn't mean that it can't be turned around but they better hurry. I guess they just wanted go ahead and get the playoffs started a little early this year, say maybe week 4?

feb18blacksunday
September 13th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Give credit to MS for their game plan. We suffered from too many linebackers trying to cover 22 out of the back field. Someone mentioned Foster which is what I thought as well. Maybe we'll have to come up with a spy for someone like that or change into a nickel package to match up better with speed. McNeese is a good team and I hope we see them again. The MSU fans I met were some good folks xthumbsupx

wcucat85
September 13th, 2009, 05:53 PM
And ECU got whacked by West Virginia......................So much for ......close game there......ECU was to have been a BCS buster.......................Like the Trumpetor to Augustus..............Remember master.....FAME IS EVER FLEETING.............Ok now tell me all the ugly things you can say about Western.....When I am actually being constructive and trying to imply that this team loaded with talent needs to wake up and be as good as they are instead of hearing it................Both my younger brothers attended App...................I hear all the jeers I can stand please.

ASUG8
September 13th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I knew the McNeese guys were sandbagging in the predictions thread xrulesx

Your QB and RB are the real deal - McNeese (even young and beaten down as some of you MSU guys said xlolx) is the real deal. They should jump to a solid #7 or 8 this week. Not to beat a dead horse, but McNeese scored at will seemingly. ASU has been playing shootouts for the last couple of years, but usually we manage to control the ball just a little more. xoopsx

Hope all of you who made the game were treated well and enjoyed your stay in the High Country. Good luck in the rest of your season. xthumbsupx

AppIAA
September 13th, 2009, 06:29 PM
It seemed as though the main things that killed us were the bubble screen/dump pass to Penland (WHO IS THE REAL DEAL!) and the TE coming off a chip block to a wide open middle.

McNeese has a solid team and out coached us this game! I hope we meet them again

JohnStOnge
September 13th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Here's an interesting quote from a guy known as "Zem" on the McNeese message boards:

"I think we had some positive matchups with Clark on the LB and Pendland against anybody they had to take him one on one in the flat."

"Zem" is a high school coach in the Dallas area and was formerly on the McNeese staff.

The comment on Clark brings me back to something I've been harping on: I didn't even realize he's a tight end. But nobody's going to cover that guy with a linebacker. Not going to happen. What's amazing to me is that, as far as I can tell, he had 0 receptions in the Henderson State near-debacle. I don't even know if he played. I doubt that there's any way way App State could've known about him and prepared for him playing from the tight end position.

asknoquarter21
September 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Yea that would explain why he was the only hit getting that wide open.

Pendelton is a stud and a matchup nightmare. We had to use our bandit on him early, but that wasn't working. We then put our bandit on the TE, didn't work as well.

From the way it looked our CBs were getting roasted by 89, but it surprised me that he was the only one. It makes sense that he was coming from TE because it looked like our CBs played pretty well(at least the first 7 seconds per pass play).

To tell the truth thinking back about every 3rd down or big play you had it was 1 of 2 guys who were burnt or out of position. 1 of them has already been criticized heavily by app fans for his celebrations and the other was a redshirt freshman taking over for our defensive leader last season.

After looking at these two matchups along with the playcalling that was 100% spot on to take advantage of these matchups it becomes much more clear to me that McNeese might have just come in with the perfect team to take us down. Not taking credit from the kids but man they had strengths that matched up to our weaknesses all along the board.

Our D-line was more depressing than anything though.

The more I think about our offense the more I think this team still can win a championship. We just have to fix 2 big holes and get the D to wake up.

P.s. He was out of bounds

JohnStOnge
September 13th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Yea
Our D-line was more depressing than anything though.

The more I think about our offense the more I think this team still can win a championship. We just have to fix 2 big holes and get the D to wake up.

I'm hoping that what you see as a problem with App's D line was a sign of potential for McNeese's O line. Otherwise, it could have just been a situation in which McNeese came in with a good game plan and also surprised App with a player that hadn't been featured before. As I wrote earlier, Clark had only three catches in 2008 and none in McNeese's 2009 opener. He's a "tweener" who was recruited as a wideout and has the speed and athleticism to play that position. But he was switched to tight end because, I presume, he's also pretty big at 6'3" and 230 pounds. All of a sudden he shows up as a major factor for the first time. If App State would've seen game films of him doing that in the past I'm sure they've have made plans to address him. But they didn't have that.

JohnStOnge
September 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM
The more I think about and ask questions about yesterday's game the more I think that McNeese sprung stuff on App State that the Mountaineers had not seen on film.

ASU_MBA
September 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Congrats Cowboys!
I have never seen a team run such a great game plan against us. Our defense has no leader and no focus at this point. We underestimated how much it hurt to lose Pierre Banks this year. Our bandit position at LB looks lost and safety, which we thought would be a strong point, missed assignments. We punted the ball to your 5 and dared you to march the ball and you marched it 95 yards and 8 minutes off the clock for a score. Your punter must have been so so bored. Sure we had our chances on offense in the first half and shot our foot a couple times but you just beat our D behind the woodshed.

I hope that the game film is burned before Elon gets it, but with our D i think we could be finished before that game. No way we beat Samford, Furman, Wofford or GSU with this high school D. We have no pass rush, we just look bad. We have played 8 quarters of football and been owned in about 6 of them.

Also somebody please lock Jason Vi-terrible in a room before our next game. He is so so so so so bad. Missed a 22 yarder, a high school kid can make that all day long. That was a game changer early. I thought he was bad last year....but he is just terrible. I find myself crossing my fingers with every extra point attempt. You should not have to do that with a kicker...

This is two games in a row our team has looked unprepared, the coaches and players need to get their stuff together or that remodeled stadium will be empty.

I am still pulling for my mountaineers and the season is young but the D has given me little to cheer for...someone on the D needs to step up and be a leader.

And santa please bring me a new kicker for xmas....

SideLine Shooter
September 13th, 2009, 09:25 PM
The more I think about and ask questions about yesterday's game the more I think that McNeese sprung stuff on App State that the Mountaineers had not seen on film.

This is what they sprung on us. #22, Mr. Toddrick Pendland.xbawlingxxbawlingx

uofmman1122
September 13th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Are there any highlights from this game anywhere?

SideLine Shooter
September 13th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Are there any highlights from this game anywhere?

Maybe in Lake Charles.

gophoenix
September 14th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Congrats Cowboys!
I have never seen a team run such a great game plan against us. Our defense has no leader and no focus at this point. We underestimated how much it hurt to lose Pierre Banks this year. Our bandit position at LB looks lost and safety, which we thought would be a strong point, missed assignments. We punted the ball to your 5 and dared you to march the ball and you marched it 95 yards and 8 minutes off the clock for a score. Your punter must have been so so bored. Sure we had our chances on offense in the first half and shot our foot a couple times but you just beat our D behind the woodshed.

I hope that the game film is burned before Elon gets it, but with our D i think we could be finished before that game. No way we beat Samford, Furman, Wofford or GSU with this high school D. We have no pass rush, we just look bad. We have played 8 quarters of football and been owned in about 6 of them.

Also somebody please lock Jason Vi-terrible in a room before our next game. He is so so so so so bad. Missed a 22 yarder, a high school kid can make that all day long. That was a game changer early. I thought he was bad last year....but he is just terrible. I find myself crossing my fingers with every extra point attempt. You should not have to do that with a kicker...

This is two games in a row our team has looked unprepared, the coaches and players need to get their stuff together or that remodeled stadium will be empty.

I am still pulling for my mountaineers and the season is young but the D has given me little to cheer for...someone on the D needs to step up and be a leader.

And santa please bring me a new kicker for xmas....

That's 8 games from now, all this will basically be irrelevant by then. In fact, it will all be irrelevant once league play starts. It would be hard to believe App doesn't make adjustments well before the Elon game and plug the holes. That is what good teams and coaches do.

MasonJar
September 14th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Sucks.

Then support Duke and Clemson more...xeyebrowx

SideLine Shooter
September 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM
The more I think about this game, I realize that it was a a whole lot uglier than the score would have you think.xconfusedxxconfusedx

UCABEARS75
September 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Stay classy UCAbear, what a joke.

Agreed, please do not judge us all based upon one.

McNeese75
September 14th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I was at the game and IMO the offensive scheme just kept the ASU defense on it's heels all day (I know, call me Capt Obvious). I see a lot of bashing and complaining about the defense being bad this year but when you return 9 starters off a pretty good D last year and depending on the source anywhere from 2-4 of the returning starters were selected to the first - third all-american team I find it somewhat hard to belive. There are some great athletes on the defense and I am betting those 9 returning starters make a statement (a good one) soon.

asknoquarter21
September 14th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I was at the game and IMO the offensive scheme just kept the ASU defense on it's heels all day (I know, call me Capt Obvious). I see a lot of bashing and complaining about the defense being bad this year but when you return 9 starters off a pretty good D last year and depending on the source anywhere from 2-4 of the returning starters were selected to the first - third all-american team I find it somewhat hard to belive. There are some great athletes on the defense and I am betting those 9 returning starters make a statement (a good one) soon.

I am somewhere in the middle

I think App played poorly in general on defense, but McNeese certainly located our weaknesses and took advantage of them.

McNeese had our number, but the way they ran through us leaves us with things that obviously need to be fixed, and I think that is what everyone is upset about.

MSU_77
September 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I am somewhere in the middle

I think App played poorly in general on defense, but McNeese certainly located our weaknesses and took advantage of them.

McNeese had our number, but the way they ran through us leaves us with things that obviously need to be fixed, and I think that is what everyone is upset about.

Well, Pendland makes a lot of folks scratch their heads! :) I'm sure your defense will be fine.

asknoquarter21
September 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Well, Pendland makes a lot of folks scratch their heads! :) I'm sure your defense will be fine.

our matchups on pen*land(as many app fans are realizing there is no D for him) were non-existant

jmufan999
September 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM
you'll be fine. it's a non-conference loss so all you have to do is win the SoCon, you'll be fine.

AppAlum96
September 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hadn't I been reading and hearing about how our D was supposed to be better this season?

That game was hard to watch...when we didn't have the ball. We'd better score on every possession this season. O looked great, though!

asknoquarter21
September 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hadn't I been reading and hearing about how our D was supposed to be better this season?

That game was hard to watch...when we didn't have the ball. We'd better score on every possession this season. O looked great, though!

Jerry Moore told a friend of mine a month ago that the D was VERY strong, and the offense was looking better each day.

Is the defense getting worse each day???

Seven Would Be Nice
September 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
ASU's can't be as bad as GSUs...

We have an offense to match too!

purplepeopleeaterv2
September 14th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I'm interested to see what happens when App plays a team like Wofford who just chews up the ground and the clock and keeps that App offense on the side line. Especially considering many of those players last year still remember that dreadful night on ESPN.

claydus
September 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Welcome back to reality Appers.... You can join the like of Georgia Southern in the bottom of the SoCon while we watch Samford or Elon win the conference.

biggie
September 14th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I'm interested to see what happens when App plays a team like Wofford who just chews up the ground and the clock and keeps that App offense on the side line. Especially considering many of those players last year still remember that dreadful night on ESPN.
Someone who runs constantly and has a questionable passing game = 2nd half ECU. That our D can handle I believe. Its the balanced attack that was the issue against MSU.

Waco Kid
September 14th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Welcome back to reality Appers.... You can join the like of Georgia Southern in the bottom of the SoCon while we watch Samford or Elon win the conference.

We ain't giving in yet!

appfan2008
September 14th, 2009, 02:42 PM
The ASU defense better show up against samford or they are gonna run all over us...

james_lawfirm
September 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Well, I wouldn't go that far. We'll see what happens in 2 weeks.

boonegoon
September 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Whiel watching the pregame, the Mcneese coach mentioned that App rarely blitzes. That we play back and try to man up. I really don't know if a blitz would have helped but a little pressure might have at least made him misthrow a few times. I would have to say that our defense looked slow and out of position all game.

soweagle
September 14th, 2009, 03:57 PM

Don't worry, GSU will run the screen to death, even when it's not working.:D

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Jerry Moore told a friend of mine a month ago that the D was VERY strong, and the offense was looking better each day.

Is the defense getting worse each day???

Here's the thing, McNeese was in the top four in total offense last year, with a strong corps of returning skill players. We lost 4/5ths of the offensive line, as well as two great hands in Whitehead and Lawrence, but we make some pickups that are pretty good. Corday Clark, the TE who looks more like a big wide out, stepped up as did some of the others. The guy I really wanted to see, Bernardo Henry, is still not on the field due to a hamstring problem, I think. He's probably the fastest guy we've got and if he's able to come back, our vertical passing game is gonna really take off...

I know App Fans aren't going to want to hear this, because you guys are like we are, you're known for your speed, but I seriously doubt you're going to see another team on your schedule this year that's as fast as McNeese is...I thought going into this that we probably were going to have an edge when it came to team speed and that a shootout would work to our advantage...

I wouldn't write your defense off just yet. A lot of the comments about "no intensity" and being out of position looked to me to be more a function of a speed mismatch at certain positions....not unlike the kind you guys usually enjoy ;)

Hopefully, you guys don't think I'm being a less than gracious winner...I think you're gonna be fine and I think any deficiencies that you DO have are going to be corrected pretty quickly.

I expect you guys to do well in the SoCon as usual...

jmufan999
September 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
not so sure about all this confidence in Wofford. 2008? excellent team. but if i recall, they lost a ton of starters, including QB (while they don't pass much, he still has to make sound decisions).... and now they lost their FB (if you haven't seen them, the FB is a crucial position running the ball)...

i wouldn't say that Wofford will be the team to challenge ASU in the conference. Elon, maybe. haven't seen them play. GSU, no idea... but the GSU fans don't seem too optimistic.

all in all, i wouldn't get too overconfident in beating ASU out for the conference title. it's still early.

AppAlum96
September 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Here's the thing, McNeese was in the top four in total offense last year, with a strong corps of returning skill players. We lost 4/5ths of the offensive line, as well as two great hands in Whitehead and Lawrence, but we make some pickups that are pretty good. Corday Clark, the TE who looks more like a big wide out, stepped up as did some of the others. The guy I really wanted to see, Bernardo Henry, is still not on the field due to a hamstring problem, I think. He's probably the fastest guy we've got and if he's able to come back, our vertical passing game is gonna really take off...

I know App Fans aren't going to want to hear this, because you guys are like we are, you're known for your speed, but I seriously doubt you're going to see another team on your schedule this year that's as fast as McNeese is...I thought going into this that we probably were going to have an edge when it came to team speed and that a shootout would work to our advantage...

I wouldn't write your defense off just yet. A lot of the comments about "no intensity" and being out of position looked to me to be more a function of a speed mismatch at certain positions....not unlike the kind you guys usually enjoy ;)

Hopefully, you guys don't think I'm being a less than gracious winner...I think you're gonna be fine and I think any deficiencies that you DO have are going to be corrected pretty quickly.

I expect you guys to do well in the SoCon as usual...

I'm not offended at all. I would prefer to think that Saturday's showing was a result of a great offense for the other team, rather than our defense just being terrible. I'd always rather lose because of being outplayed by a good team, rather than because of serious flaws on our team.

CrackerRiley
September 14th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I'm not offended at all. I would prefer to think that Saturday's showing was a result of a great offense for the other team, rather than our defense just being terrible. I'd always rather lose because of being outplayed by a good team, rather than because of serious flaws on our team.

Agreed. I don't see our season being completely lost because of this single game. Defense got outplayed. Will it become a trend? I would hope not (though every other school on this board would like this).

I am worried about our fan base with this season and next if we lose another game or 2. Everyone seems to think national title or bust. Well, I'm a believer in "defense wins championships." So I'm a little pessimistic right now. Though I'll still be the single loudest person yelling in the stands, I can guarantee that and, honestly, it hasn't been that hard for me to pull off lately... xthumbsupx

appstate38
September 14th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Well it seems the band wagon is getting a little lighter!!!! Present company the exception of course.... We got beat by a very good team. I believe if we got the ball back with 1:30 or so we win.....It was one of those games that whoever had the ball last won. Don't forget the offense left some points on the field. Missed FG, Quick fumble on the goal line, AE getting sacked and knocked out of FG range after a defensive turnover..... Hold on App fans we will be ok.

AppIAA
September 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
AE getting sacked and knocked out of FG range after a defensive turnover.....

With how our kicker has been so far this year, it seems like we're always out of FG range...

Skjellyfetti
September 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Cornerback Cortez Gilbert said: “Out of 70-some plays we lined up wrong 32 times. So about 50 percent of the time before the snap, we were lined up wrong and they capitalized on our mistakes.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/sep/23/asu-ready-for-fresh-start/sports-college/

xmadx
xsmhx
xoopsx
xbangx
xsplatx
xbabycryx

AppAlum2003
September 23rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/sep/23/asu-ready-for-fresh-start/sports-college/

xmadx
xsmhx
xoopsx
xbangx
xsplatx
xbabycryx

Props to Cortez on the math skills. xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
With how our kicker has been so far this year, it seems like we're always out of FG range...

That's just juju for the 8 years you had Julian Rauch on roster kicking on astro turf.

crossfire07
September 23rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Well it seems the band wagon is getting a little lighter!!!! Present company the exception of course.... We got beat by a very good team. I believe if we got the ball back with 1:30 or so we win.....It was one of those games that whoever had the ball last won. Don't forget the offense left some points on the field. Missed FG, Quick fumble on the goal line, AE getting sacked and knocked out of FG range after a defensive turnover..... Hold on App fans we will be ok.

both side left points on the field and anything thought of after that falls into the "what if"