PDA

View Full Version : Upset Of The Week! USD @ UNI

SD4ever
September 11th, 2009, 08:41 PM
So here is my first prediction ever (and maybe my last) on AGS.

USD 31

UNI 27

Noah Shepard shows that he is one of the best QB's in FCS and the Yote Defense plays better than expected.

Needless to say, the Panther Nation is really bummed out.

Go South Dakota, Go Coyotes, Forever!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

BEAR
September 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Nope. UNI looked great on TV the other day. UNI by 14 if they play that way. xnodxxlolx

UNIFanSince1983
September 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM
That is the key though. IF UNI plays like that. I am sorry to say, but I guarantee it is a lot tougher to get your team up for playing USD than it is for an instate FBS rival that you haven't beaten in 111 years.

ValleyChamp
September 11th, 2009, 09:03 PM
UNI by 20.

Thundar
September 11th, 2009, 09:06 PM
UNI by 25

SD4ever
September 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM
So what time does this game start? I've seen both 4:05 and 2:05 pm cdt. What's up?

ValleyChamp
September 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM
4:05.

X-Factor
September 11th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I have no idea but I would imagine UNI takes this game. I think USD keeps it a game though. That QB has some talent.

TCisMYhero
September 11th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Hit the indian reservation for some peyote, or what? No guarantees here, but I don't think there's anyway a mark Farley team will lose a home opener in the dome ever again.

darell1976
September 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM
South Dakota 35
Northern Iowa 31

Coyote Fan
September 11th, 2009, 10:22 PM
USD can win the game but I still give a serious edge to UNI. I can't see USD's defense being able to stop UNI very well at all. UNI should never overlook anyone from the upper midwest. Heck when UND was D2 (I believe) they won at UNI and even Minnesota State Mankato who was a mid level NCC team at best gave UNI a pretty good game. I don't see why UNI would overlook the game in any fassion. Obviously USD can play with them as proven last year. I will still go with UNI 37-20 but will give the Coyotes a fighters change. Make the odds about 12:1 in this game. USD's recent road struggles (except at S Utah) will be the biggest single reason I am confident UNI will win. That moreso than UNI just simply being a good football team.

ValleyChamp
September 11th, 2009, 10:58 PM
UDS fans, how good is your defense? I have only heard things about the offense.

SD4ever
September 12th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Good to see you chiming in here Mr. CF! Kinda like the good old days on the D2 mb. You know I'm hoping that I will be right (you hope that too) and that you will be wrong. One way or the other I think the Yotes give them a real good game and show the nation that they are on the right track to becoming a factor in FCS. Much to the dismay of the the critters to the north in the great State of South Dakota.

How about that prediction from our North Dakota friend?

Here we go Coyotes, here we go!

Thumper 76
September 12th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I will be impressed if the Yotes give UNI a game. If its a close score at all I tend to think that most likely what happend is UNI is A) On and emotional letdown from last week and B) Not playing all their starters as much as normal to rest them after a physical game last week to get ready for the conf schedule. I think both of these would have to happen, and the Yotes would have to jump them quick and keep them down all game, but I highly highly doubt that will happen. You boys have a while to go before you lay the smack down on a power like UNI

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Coming into last years game we were coming off a long travel to BYU. It was our QB's second game and he got knocked out cold twice at BYU.

I think USD is a team you can't overlook, but UNI should win by 14 or more if they are a contender.

Carlos Anderson runs for 150 or more.

igo4uni
September 12th, 2009, 07:54 AM
USD can win the game but I still give a serious edge to UNI. I can't see USD's defense being able to stop UNI very well at all. UNI should never overlook anyone from the upper midwest. Heck when UND was D2 (I believe) they won at UNI and even Minnesota State Mankato who was a mid level NCC team at best gave UNI a pretty good game. I don't see why UNI would overlook the game in any fassion. Obviously USD can play with them as proven last year. I will still go with UNI 37-20 but will give the Coyotes a fighters change. Make the odds about 12:1 in this game. USD's recent road struggles (except at S Utah) will be the biggest single reason I am confident UNI will win. That moreso than UNI just simply being a good football team.

It was 2006 when North Dakota came into the fabulous UNI-Dome and dumped UNI. They had a stud running back that UNI just couldn't find an answer for. I will never forget that game. I was impressed with how many Sioux fans made the trek to Cedar Falls.

JayJ79
September 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I will be impressed if the Yotes give UNI a game. If its a close score at all I tend to think that most likely what happend is UNI is A) On and emotional letdown from last week and B) Not playing all their starters as much as normal to rest them after a physical game last week to get ready for the conf schedule. I think both of these would have to happen, and the Yotes would have to jump them quick and keep them down all game, but I highly highly doubt that will happen. You boys have a while to go before you lay the smack down on a power like UNI

I agree that your "A" is a possibility.

And some of the starters might have been banged up last week (though I haven't heard anything) which could reduce their playing time.

But I don't foresee UNI coaches keeping players out of this game just to rest them for the conference schedule. First off, we play St. Francis next week, which I'm not saying is a "gimme" game, but it should be less of a challenge than today's game against USD will be. Plus, UNI starts off it's conference schedule with Missouri State and Indiana State.

Of course, that all is looking too far ahead.
We still have to get through our game against a good Coyote team this afternoon.

Ivytalk
September 12th, 2009, 09:02 AM
UNI by at least two scores.

I wonder how many San Diego fans read this thread!:p

Houndawg
September 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
It was 2006 when North Dakota came into the fabulous UNI-Dome and dumped UNI. They had a stud running back that UNI just couldn't find an answer for. I will never forget that game. I was impressed with how many Sioux fans made the trek to Cedar Falls.

The guy who coached that UND team will be back to the dome this year with a pretty good team.

ngineer
September 12th, 2009, 09:48 AM
If there's an upset of the week, I think it would be Lehigh knocking off #3 Villanova at Villanova. Very few people are picking LU to hold VU's offense to under 40 points, and Lehigh's offense has not shown much of a pulse, as yet, this year. But it's why we play the game...;)

JBB
September 12th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Are USD fans going to complain and whine if this game is a blowout, you know a moral victory, like the UND fans did when confronted with the truth as only the box score can tell it? Or, are we in a PC situation where no score is kept and everyone is a "winner" including the logo?

I think USD might buck a little but this game is over before it starts. I would expect to be back in the tailgate lots at the half or down the street in the local bar finishing it on TV.

Last weeks rout did show that USD did what good teams do, roll over inferior opponents, and there lies the hope, but USD is outgunned and outmanned where it counts: Along both lines. I like the Yotes, but not in this game.

Chi Panther
September 12th, 2009, 10:56 AM
The good thing for UNI is we have faced the South Dakota QB just last year. We know he is very good. He may put up big numbers on UNI because he is good, not because he will sneak up on UNI.

UNI's offensive line, healthy QB and water-bug running back will pose the biggest challenge the Yotes defense see all year. It doesn't look good that your best dlineman from week one is a transfer from UNI. xrotatehx

JBB
September 12th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Last year USD had 290 yds passing and no TDs. UNI had 130 yds passing and 2 TDs. They lost 24-13, same score as NDSU and I was out the door of that game at the half.

Dane96
September 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Northern Iowa, if no hangover present...will smoke USD.

SD4ever
September 12th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Interesting predictions and comments. We'll see who is right.

35 Minutes to kick off!

Go South Dakota, Go Coyotes, Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Houndawg
September 12th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I think the Yotes need to get rich quick with their limited number of posessions. Nobody is going through UNI this year (before the playoffs), you have to go over and around those guys.xnodx

darell1976
September 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Are USD fans going to complain and whine if this game is a blowout, you know a moral victory, like the UND fans did when confronted with the truth as only the box score can tell it? Or, are we in a PC situation where no score is kept and everyone is a "winner" including the logo?

I think USD might buck a little but this game is over before it starts. I would expect to be back in the tailgate lots at the half or down the street in the local bar finishing it on TV.

Last weeks rout did show that USD did what good teams do, roll over inferior opponents, and there lies the hope, but USD is outgunned and outmanned where it counts: Along both lines. I like the Yotes, but not in this game.

Thats just Bison fans.xlolx;)

And not getting blown out by a TT team who is a Big 12 Powerhouse not a Big 12 cellar team (Iowa State) is a moral victory.

Chi Panther
September 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM
USD blitz every play....amazing....xeekx

Chi Panther
September 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM
38 to 7 UNI still in 2nd....USD has only scored on a flee flicker on first play.

I normally don't toot our horn.....but UNI is REALLY good. Whoever beats us this year is goona be a crazy good team!!!!xrotatehx

pantherbacker
September 12th, 2009, 05:32 PM
USD fumbles...UNI ball on USD 35

Yote 53
September 12th, 2009, 05:37 PM
This is ugly. Watching on TV. UNI is good, real good, dang good. I can't see an FCS team beating them this year.

Chi Panther
September 12th, 2009, 05:39 PM
1st Half Stats

Northern Iowa Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Pat Grace 23/30 370 12.3 3 0
Northern Iowa Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LG
Pat Grace 5 32 6.4 3 1
xwhistlex

darell1976
September 12th, 2009, 05:42 PM
This is ugly. Watching on TV. UNI is good, real good, dang good. I can't see an FCS team beating them this year.

I am sure Bison fans differ on that statement. And we will all hear about it.

darell1976
September 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM
1st Half Stats

Northern Iowa Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Pat Grace 23/30 370 12.3 3 0
Northern Iowa Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LG
Pat Grace 5 32 6.4 3 1
xwhistlex

Pat Grace has awesome numbers...if he plays like this every Saturday we will be seeing him every Sunday.

Yote 53
September 12th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Bison and Jack fans can dream. They aren't touching the Panthers this year.

So much for Iowa postgame letdowns.

SD4ever
September 12th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Well, I gotta give credit to those that said the Yotes would get blown out. What a joke!

UNI does look real good. Go ahead and dream State U's. You're not touching them.

Pant8her
September 12th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Half time stats OMG!!! They looked like final stats for a game.

I do not think there will be a USD upset today.

UNI Pike
September 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM

USD 31

UNI 27

Noah Shepard shows that he is one of the best QB's in FCS and the Yote Defense plays better than expected.

UNI scores on every possession through the game 52-7 halfway through the 3rd

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/3015/cp03.jpg

Screamin_Eagle174
September 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Whoever started this thread must be choking on a gut full of crow. UNI is legit.

igo4uni
September 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Just got back from the game. USD runs the flea flicker and scores on their first play of the game. After that it's all UNI. Grace looked really good. USD just could not stop our offense.

The new turf in the fabulous UNI-Dome looked great, in my humble opinion.

ValleyChamp
September 12th, 2009, 07:38 PM
over 700 yards of offense for UNI. Pat Grace had 450 passing yards with 4 TDs and also had 3 rushing TDs.

DOME
September 12th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Pat Grace is sitting in place of Davis right now, 24/32 passing for 445yds and four TD's. Did I mention he ran for THREE more TD's?!?
I've got a feeling that this is gonna be a good year Panther Fans!!

Screamin_Eagle174
September 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM
over 700 yards of offense for UNI. Pat Grace had 450 passing yards with 4 TDs and also had 3 rushing TDs.

xnutsxxsmileyclapxxbowx

Yote 53
September 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Seriously though, USD is not as bad as this performance shows. I think this is more about how good UNI is than how bad USD is. I guess we'll find out the rest of the year.

This was a measuring stick game, guess we saw we have a long way to go.

darell1976
September 12th, 2009, 07:44 PM
1 game doesn't represent a season keep fighting Yotes..except when we play you.

TCisMYhero
September 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Jesus!

ValleyChamp
September 12th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I, for one, did not expect this. USD did not have one defensive stop the entire game. UNI scored everytime they had the ball.

Pat put up those great numbers while only playing 2 and a half quarters.

MSUBear42
September 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM

USD 31

UNI 27

Andddddddddddddddddddddddd there goes ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YOUR CRED!
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Houndawg
September 12th, 2009, 08:35 PM
xlolx

Somebody call a social worker and report the abuse!

Coyote Fan
September 12th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Eventhough I predicted a 37-20 win for UNI I am not all surprised that USD played poorly on defense. They have a past history of allowing receivers to run wide open all game without making any adjustments to stop them. I have seen it too many times. I give credit to UNI but USD did not show up for this game whatsoever. Any USD fan that is gonna write this one off to how great UNI is (and they are good) is simply overlooking a team that came very ill prepared to play a football game.

If USD wants to write this one off instead of looking straight into a mirror is exactly what they have done in the past and exactly why they haven't and likely won't improve much as a program.

Khan4Cats
September 12th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Um, wow. UNI is good. I think USD may have pissed the Panthers off a little with that flea-flicker on the first play. Which is the third successful flea-flicker on us in 4 games.

UNI never punted in the game and only went for it on 4th down twice, both in the 4th quarter when the game was out of reach and we could have easily kicked field goals, but why run up the score when we can just run a dive play. USD stopped us on one of them, the other we converted from 4th and 6 into a touchdown using our 4th string RB behind our 3rd string OL. Oh well, wasn't any kind of trick play.

The only other time USD came close to stopping us was our field goal on our second drive and we only kicked after taking a delay of game trying to get a play called and our jumbo package in on 4th and 1. Not sure USD would have stopped us for only one yard.

USD was supposed to be a tougher match up for us than St. Francis, but who knows? St. Francis did take down Morehead State. Welcome to the Dome next week Red Flash, the Panthers are waiting.

JayJ79
September 12th, 2009, 09:42 PM
The new turf in the fabulous UNI-Dome looked great, in my humble opinion.

Looked great, yes. But too many players seemed to have some footing issues.
I'm hoping that issue can get resolved quick. (perhaps with different shoes, I dunno)

newsbreaker
September 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM
UNI is a team on a freakin' mission.

I was telling people all week that Iowa was going to kick the ever-loving crap outta ISU, because what they saw last week was an extraordinarily good FCS team. I was correct.

May the Lord have mercy on the soul's of the rest of the MVFC. Richmond p****d us off. Iowa p*****d us off. And now you're going to pay for their sins.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM
UNI is a team on a freakin' mission.

I was telling people all week that Iowa was going to kick the ever-loving crap outta ISU, because what they saw last week was an extraordinarily good FCS team. I was correct.

May the Lord have mercy on the soul's of the rest of the MVFC. Richmond p****d us off. Iowa p*****d us off. And now you're going to pay for their sins.

Great post.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 12th, 2009, 10:47 PM
If I'm an AGS voter UNI is my #1.

ValleyChamp
September 12th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Richmond p****d us off. Iowa p*****d us off. And now you're going to pay for their sins.

xbowxxbowxxbowx

achrist70
September 12th, 2009, 10:54 PM

I don't see it as a homer vote when I do that.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I've seen some good teams in 20 years of UNI football.....this team is nuts.

igo4uni
September 12th, 2009, 11:28 PM

The only #1 that really matters is at the end of the year. However, seeding for the playoffs is important as well.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I believe we had 3 #1 votes last week (without looking)

igo4uni
September 12th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I believe we had 3 #1 votes last week (without looking)

Rob.....are you trying to pass me in in # of posts?? Grrrrrrrr.......I gotta spend more time on this fine website.

joecooll6
September 13th, 2009, 04:14 AM

USD 31

UNI 27

Prediction fail

UNIFanSince1983
September 13th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I'm not sure what kind of measuring stick this game really was. USD had absolutely no defense whatsoever. They couldn't cover a receiver for ANYTHING! I was impressed we didn't have to punt, but remember fellas this isn't SDSU we just beat this bad it was USD. It wasn't SIU. We are good, but please try not to get too overconfident. I'm not sure many people predicted McNeese would beat App St, but we saw what happened when two good teams play. Anyone can win!

Bring on the Red Flash! GO PANTHERS!!

Pantherpower
September 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure what kind of measuring stick this game really was. USD had absolutely no defense whatsoever. They couldn't cover a receiver for ANYTHING! I was impressed we didn't have to punt, but remember fellas this isn't SDSU we just beat this bad it was USD. It wasn't SIU. We are good, but please try not to get too overconfident. I'm not sure many people predicted McNeese would beat App St, but we saw what happened when two good teams play. Anyone can win!

Bring on the Red Flash! GO PANTHERS!!

Yep. Great, convincing win. As you said, it was USD, not SDSU. SDSU just got done dismantling GSU and will no doubt be loaded for bear when we head up their in a few weeks.

jmc_jackrabbit
September 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Some USD fans need to realize that transition is NOT fun. We've been arguing with them for years that FCS football is really, really different from D2. Some USD fans seemed to think that the transition would be easy. In more than one occasion, I've had USD fans argue to me that "top D2 teams would compete with good FCS programs."

Um... no.

We've also heard a lot of barking about how USD is better than SDSU and that the Jacks are ducking USD. That should be out the window now. We're playing a tough out-of-conference schedule to make the best case for a playoff bid. UNI, with its rich history, can afford to play USD since everybody knows the quality of the Panthers' program. Our approach, as a newbie, has been to try to play very good FCS opponents out of conference (Georgia Southern and Cal Poly this year; McNeese and Cal Poly last year) so we can make a better case for an at-large bid if we get to 8 wins.

So no, USD, we're not ducking you. And I think that "USD is better than SDSU" meme should go away now for a few years.

That said: USD fans probably shouldn't be on suicide watch. UNI is really good.

goyotes
September 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
USD & SDSU share an open date in Nov, 2010. USD has offered to travel to Brookings to fill the open date. SDSU would rightfully be a heavy favorite, but has yet to accept USD's offer.

unigriff
September 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Amanti Who????

JBB
September 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Thats just Bison fans.xlolx;)

And not getting blown out by a TT team who is a Big 12 Powerhouse not a Big 12 cellar team (Iowa State) is a moral victory.

I just received a private communique intended for general distribution from the GOLDEN ARM COMMITTEE:

Quote:

As we all know moral victories are important in college football. Normally the moral victory claim is made when a huge underdog, maybe even an object of scorn for taking the game in the first place, feels they did well and deserve a pat on the head.

JBB is correct when he says the TTU/UND box score is now the definition of a moral victory. In the past the definition had been keeping the final score within 1, out-gaining your opponent by 125 yds or more in total offense, winning the time of possession battle and keeping the opponents under 250 yds. This definition was established in the NDSU "win" over Minnesota in 2006 Final score was 9-10. The new measure of a "win" is now the TTU/UND box score.

In the past the moral victory was commonly reserved for those underdogs that were victims of a heart-breaking loss. Now that the definition of moral victory has changed to include any loss it is now accurate to claim any loss as a victory.

In a second matter now requiring comment due to the overwhelming response to a recent post the football term anyone, anytime, anywhere, means just that. There are no exceptions if a formal offer was extended.

89rabbit
September 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Ouch, huge loss and worse yet a prediction of an upset. Wow, that is going to leave two marks. xlolx xnodx

Thumper 76
September 13th, 2009, 04:33 PM
USD & SDSU share an open date in Nov, 2010. USD has offered to travel to Brookings to fill the open date. SDSU would rightfully be a heavy favorite, but has yet to accept USD's offer.

I dont think not taking that game up with the yotes cant really be considered "ducking" them after comparing the two games today. The Jacks tore up a decent GSU team and the Yotes looked like a D2 team still. I think they play later on down the road, but if they dont take up that date its not cause were "ducking" them.

JackJD
September 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
There are a number of reasons why SDSU isn't going to schedule USD in 2010 and those reasons have been hashed over ad nauseum on other message boards so nothing to talk about any more. SDSU has bigger fish to fry as it continues to make its mark in FCS. That's not a knock on USD, just they're not in the plan right now.

ValleyChamp
September 13th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I respect SDSU for really scheduling tough in these last couple of season. Thats the way you make a name for yourself.

jmc_jackrabbit
September 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Guess you didn't read my post.

UNI can play transitional teams because they're automatically going to be in the at-large playoff discussion even if they didn't win the MVFC. SDSU? We need to play tougher out-of-conference foes to make a name for ourselves. If we don't do that, we possibly wouldn't be part of that discussion even if we win 8 games. It's about positioning your program to be considered for an at-large bid. Honestly, right now, USD doesn't help that positioning the same way that, for example, GSU and Cal Poly do this year.

When USD goes to UNI and loses that badly, it doesn't help us make that case that a win over USD is equivalent to a win over GSU or Cal Poly or McNeese State.

I understand that USD needs a rivalry game with SDSU. We have 8 conference games, an FBS game, and have to make the most out of the out-of-conference FCS schedule to get noticed. How hard is it to understand that we don't need a USD game right now? We'll play again eventually, when it makes sense for us.

LakesBison
September 13th, 2009, 10:31 PM
NICE PREDICTION BY THIS GUY.

darell1976
First Class FCS Ruler

Re: Upset Of The Week! USD @ UNI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Dakota 35
Northern Iowa 31

PRETTTY CLOSE.

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2009, 11:38 PM
NICE PREDICTION BY THIS GUY.

darell1976
First Class FCS Ruler

Re: Upset Of The Week! USD @ UNI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Dakota 35
Northern Iowa 31

PRETTTY CLOSE.

Don't lay it on too thick. Same thing might happen in Fargo. I'm sure 99% of your fans will predict a big win. :D