PDA

View Full Version : It was nice to be FCS while it lasted.

gr8ness97
September 11th, 2009, 05:44 PM
xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawl ingx

Friday, September 11, 2009

Winston-Salem State University trustees vote to stop move to Division I

By John Dell
Winston-Salem Journal

Winston-Salem State University has stopped its drive to Division I.

The decision to continue to compete in Division II and rejoin the CIAA was made Friday afternoon, by the school's board of trustees at a specially called meeting on campus.

Chancellor Donald Reaves, who has researched the move to Division I over the last 18 months, presented a detailed resolution that the board unanimously approved.

"This has been a difficult decision," Reaves told the board. "…but it's time to move on."

Since leaving the CIAA and starting the transition to Division I five years ago, WSSU's athletics department has lost more than $6 million. Reaves projected that the deficit would grow to $15 million by 2012.
Reaves said that the university's continued funding of the athletics program was taking away from academic endeavors.

The transition started in October 2004 when Reaves' predecessor, Chancellor Harold Martin, had a vision to upgrade athletics as the student body increased.

"It is my hope that the emotions will subside and that folks who have supported the university will continue to do so," Reaves told the board.

Reaves met with all of WSSU's coaches after the meeting and planned to meet with all the athletes on campus.

Those athletes, many of whom believed they were being recruited by a Division I school, will have their scholarships honored.

"We will be working with each student directly impacted by this change," Reaves said. "We will provide advice and financial support, as well as helping them decide what is their best interest."
WSSU sponsors 15 sports, and Reaves said that some could be eliminated. He added that any athletes affected would be helped at every turn.

"We must do whatever it takes to support these student-athletes," Reaves said.
Tonia Walker, the interim athletics director, said after the meeting that she was 100 percent behind the decision.

"I fully support the decision by the chancellor and the board, and now we need to focus on being the best Division II program that we can be," Walker said.

PantherRob82
September 11th, 2009, 06:12 PM
wow....that sucks.

rjg129
September 11th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I think this was the best move for WSSU

EmeryZach
September 11th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Wow that's tough. Looks like they just aren't ready for the financial burden of being FCS.

Good luck to your program, hopefully you don't lose a lot of kids.

3rd Coast Tiger
September 11th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Damn.... hoping for the best Rams.

Cobblestone
September 11th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah it sucks on the surface but at least your still going to be playing football.

SU Jag
September 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Tough move!

danefan
September 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM
As someone else said - it sucks in one aspect, but the easier decision would have been to drop football to pursue the DI basketball dream that every school seems to have.

Good luck to all the young men in the program.

TexasTerror
September 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Great decision.

It hurts, but you got to do what is best for you and the CIAA is not a bad league for WSSU. The MEAC or being independent was going to be a costly proposition. The only real bad thing is NCCU has now left WSSU behind in their tracks...

proasu89
September 11th, 2009, 09:17 PM

By John Dell
Winston-Salem Journal

The decision to continue to compete in Division II and rejoin the CIAA was made Friday afternoon, by the school's board of trustees at a specially called meeting on campus.

Chancellor Donald Reaves, who has researched the move to Division I over the last 18 months, presented a detailed resolution that the board unanimously approved.

"This has been a difficult decision," Reaves told the board. "…but it's time to move on."

Since leaving the CIAA and starting the transition to Division I five years ago, WSSU's athletics department has lost more than $6 million. Reaves projected that the deficit would grow to $15 million by 2012.
Reaves said that the university's continued funding of the athletics program was taking away from academic endeavors.

The transition started in October 2004 when Reaves' predecessor, Chancellor Harold Martin, had a vision to upgrade athletics as the student body increased.

"It is my hope that the emotions will subside and that folks who have supported the university will continue to do so," Reaves told the board.

Reaves met with all of WSSU's coaches after the meeting and planned to meet with all the athletes on campus.

Those athletes, many of whom believed they were being recruited by a Division I school, will have their scholarships honored.

"We will be working with each student directly impacted by this change," Reaves said. "We will provide advice and financial support, as well as helping them decide what is their best interest."
WSSU sponsors 15 sports, and Reaves said that some could be eliminated. He added that any athletes affected would be helped at every turn.

Tonia Walker, the interim athletics director, said after the meeting that she was 100 percent behind the decision.

"I fully support the decision by the chancellor and the board, and now we need to focus on being the best Division II program that we can be," Walker said.

Being from WS I was really hoping this would work out. Sorry to hear this.

Sly Fox
September 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM
That was a brave decision by their board to make this unpopular move. But Division I is not for everyone and the CIAA is not a bad situation for them at all. I just wonder how they'll work scheduling their rivals at A&T and NCCU.

ngineer
September 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM

By John Dell
Winston-Salem Journal

Very interesting. Sad for football fans, but nice to see the priorities are in order. While we all love football, the cost of playing the game cannot be detrimental to the overall primary reason for a college to exist. There is a lot of good and exciting football played at the D-II level. Hopefully, the re-transition goes smoothly and everyone accepts reality. All the best.

gr8ness97
September 12th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Seems like alot of players are crying fowl. WSSU only has to shed 15 schollys to get back to the D-II limit.

hebmskebm
October 3rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/oct/02/ciaa-votes-readmit-wssu/#

Saw that on the D2 board, tough break for WSSU.

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Sorry to see this.