PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra at Bryant

dgreco
September 11th, 2009, 12:59 PM
article in the providence journal
http://www.projo.com/college/content/sp_fbc_football_roundup_10_09-11-09_8FFMD0F_v1.29384a8.html

Ask Bryant University football coach Marty Fine to discuss Hofstra, his opponent Saturday, and he will reply, "Do we have to?"

"We're overmatched," he added quickly.

Fine sought opponents such as the University of Massachusetts last year and Hofstra and Fordham this season to gauge the progress of his program during its transition to Division I from Division II.

"We have to play these games so we know where we are and where we want to go," he said. Northeastern is on a future schedule, and Bryant administrators are trying to arrange games with the University of Rhode Island and Brown. Hofstra is on the schedule again in three years.

Seahawks Fan
September 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Give Bryant credit for their OOC scheduling. They are a good addition to the NEC. xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
September 11th, 2009, 06:31 PM
article in the providence journal
http://www.projo.com/college/content/sp_fbc_football_roundup_10_09-11-09_8FFMD0F_v1.29384a8.html

Ask Bryant University football coach Marty Fine to discuss Hofstra, his opponent Saturday, and he will reply, "Do we have to?"

"We're overmatched," he added quickly.

Fine sought opponents such as the University of Massachusetts last year and Hofstra and Fordham this season to gauge the progress of his program during its transition to Division I from Division II.

"We have to play these games so we know where we are and where we want to go," he said. Northeastern is on a future schedule, and Bryant administrators are trying to arrange games with the University of Rhode Island and Brown. Hofstra is on the schedule again in three years.

Good to hear. xthumbsupx

Dane96
September 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Absolutely...I am very excited with the addition of Bryant.

LawDutch
September 11th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Bryant will be a solid FCS program in no time, I dont think any of the Hofstra faithful are overlooking them this weekend either. Can't wait for the game tomorrow.

dgreco
September 12th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I hope that they can continue to get the games and get some of them at home. I know URI is holding out in basketball because we will kill their RPI and they are always trying for the tournament, but IDK why they are holding out in most other sports.

footballman65
September 12th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Give Bryant credit for their OOC scheduling. They are a good addition to the NEC. xthumbsupx

Yea unlike a certain NEC team scheduling Stonehill (and losing to them) and SUNY Maritime (D3?)...really?

ngineer
September 12th, 2009, 09:53 AM
One of our old wrestling coaches when asked why we were constantly banging up with Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, etc., said, "If you want to be a bullfighter, you have to fight some bulls."

Kudos to Bryant for stepping up with their scheduling and challenging the program. A few years ago, hardly anyone heard of Bryant. Noise will gradually be made.

Uncle Buck
September 12th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Bryant will be a solid FCS program in no time, I dont think any of the Hofstra faithful are overlooking them this weekend either. Can't wait for the game tomorrow.

Holy cow! Another Hofstra fan on this site, my eyes almost popped out of my head xeekx

As for this weekend, you are absolutely right. With the slow start on offense this past week against SBU and Cory Christopher looking very rusty throwing the ball, we can't afford to overlook Bryant. This Bryant team will be up for this game. Reminds me of 1994 Hofstra when we had UNH come down to us. This was probably our biggest game of the season at that point and we beat them 28-6. Gigantino was out DC back then and like i have said before, he will have these kids ready to play 60 minutes and looking for an upset.

Cohen better have his troops ready, games like this scare me a bit if the kids don't respect their opponent. I'll be watching on the web, can't wait for kickoff.

hebmskebm
September 12th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Yea unlike a certain NEC team scheduling Stonehill (and losing to them) and SUNY Maritime (D3?)...really?

I think the Stonehill game was the backend game of a home and home, which begs the question why the hell would a D1 school schedule a home and home with a D2 in the first place? Also, I'm not going to make excuses for scheduling Maritime, but that game was originally supposed to be Iona but they cancelled their program.

It's important to note the NEC as a whole only scheduled 3 sub D1 games for the whole year, but two of them were by Wagner xnonono2x

Uncle Buck
September 12th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Just logged in, video feed looks excellent

Uncle Buck
September 12th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Byant moving the ball well

Dane96
September 12th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Bryant valiently trying to storm back...but Hofstra with a FG.

This so reminds me of Albany's early FCS years against Hofstra.

I think Bryant is going to be a force in a few years; nice little facility and a solid coach.

Seahawks Fan
September 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I agree. Bryant is a fine addition to the NEC.

Uncle Buck
September 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Not taking anything away from Bryant, but Hofstra needs to get rid of their QB who yes threw for a bunch today, but man, he never hits a guy in the numbers. I was shocked as hell that they named him the starter. The second thing they need to do, get a new OC who doesn't go into a shell when we have a lead. His playcalling stinks and he puts his offense into low gear any time we smell a lead. It puts our D in a bad spot.

LawDutch
September 12th, 2009, 04:18 PM
CC sucks, if the WR's weren't so good today, we could have legitimately lost.

I'm sick of saying a win's a win, Bryant looked like a team in transition into D-I today, we should have cake-walked through this game. But yet again, we looked incredibly sloppy, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Richmond is going to run us out of their building next week if we play like this again.

Uncle Buck
September 12th, 2009, 04:35 PM
CC sucks, if the WR's weren't so good today, we could have legitimately lost.

I'm sick of saying a win's a win, Bryant looked like a team in transition into D-I today, we should have cake-walked through this game. But yet again, we looked incredibly sloppy, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Richmond is going to run us out of their building next week if we play like this again.

I agree. Before the season i would have put my house on the fact that Probst would have been the starter. He throws a better deep ball, moves better, and IMO, has a better more accurate arm. CC does not make me feel like he will lead us to wins against CAA competition. Way too many passes off the mark that our WR's have to go up for. That pick in the endzone was pathetic. Should have been about 50-10 today.

dgreco
September 12th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I have to agree about the Hofstra QB not being good. Besides 3 great catches by his WR all his passes were either almost picked, picked or way off target. All the yards were from little dumpoff passes and Bryant couldn't tackle in the first half so they got good yardage.

I think Bryant came out and were shocked with the beginning of the game and it slowed them down. The second half they played much better. Once they got it back to 24-31 they got to excited and were looking to the crowd and not focusing and they gave up a big passing play for the TD then the game was just clock killing by both sides.

Overall, I am happy with the game because it would of been closer than 16 and it showed that they are only a few years away from being a contender. I think once they start getting scholarship players in it will help.