PDA

View Full Version : LFN: Preview, Lehigh at Villanova

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2009, 10:16 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/09/game-preview-lehigh-at-villanova.html

Man, Villanova is a deep, fast, big, talented team. xsmhx

Fordham
September 11th, 2009, 11:04 AM
yikes. good luck, engineers.

wideright82
September 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I for one do not think this game is going to be as one sided as a lot of people. The neers always get up for this game, and like the Penn series always manage to keep it respectable. I'm not saying Lehigh will win, but i wouldn't sleep on this game if I were Nova.

Hoyadestroya85
September 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
http://novafacts.blogspot.com/2009/09/keys-to-villanova-lehigh-game.html

Here are my keys to the game from the Villanova perspective. Hopefully this isn't 2006 all over again, but then again this is a much better Villanova team and I think it's safe to say, a Lehigh team without a true offensive weapon to match Villanova (Sedale Threatt)

Hoyadestroya85
September 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM
http://novafacts.blogspot.com/2009/09/keys-to-villanova-lehigh-game.html

Here are my keys to the game from the Villanova perspective. Hopefully this isn't 2006 all over again, but then again this is a much better Villanova team and I think it's safe to say, a Lehigh team without a true offensive weapon to match Villanova (Sedale Threatt)

Hoyadestroya85
September 11th, 2009, 01:29 PM
in other news, Villanova has reinstituted tailgating for 20 dollars per car per game at the Main parking lot. Sweet!

ngineer
September 11th, 2009, 04:25 PM
in other news, Villanova has reinstituted tailgating for 20 dollars per car per game at the Main parking lot. Sweet!

I'll be there in the Lehigh Alumni Tent--I heard that close to 100 had already registered.xbeerchugxxbeerchugxxbeerchugxxprost2xx prost2xxprost2x

RichH2
September 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I,also will be there. I ask that Alums try not to beat my cousin, '69 Nova, too much.xrolleyesx.

LacesOut
September 11th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Lets go 'Nova!!

Philliesfan980
September 12th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Just got back from the game. Wow, it's going to be a long year for Lehigh this year. I don't really see too many difference makers at the skill positions. Nova dominated this game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Just got back from the game. Wow, it's going to be a long year for Lehigh this year. I don't really see too many difference makers at the skill positions. Nova dominated this game.

First 0-2 start since 1982. It's going to be a long long year. If Talley really wanted to i think he could have easily hung 50 on the board tonight. Lehigh TV announcers basically saying Lehigh suffered from being unable to do the little things. Another losing season and i can't see anyway Coen keeps his job. Lehigh has way too many fundamental break downs and never over achieves. An 0-4 start seams quite likely imo.

Digby
September 13th, 2009, 06:57 AM
There are not too many wins out there for this team. The TV announcers went on the usual scholarship rant but when players cannot tackle, that is a problem. When they do not cover lanes, that is a problem.
This team is just bad. Clark was better but not good.
The coach seems to be losing the team and that is a disaster after just two games.

RichH2
September 13th, 2009, 07:36 AM
This team aways from being good.Nova an unfair assessment as the talent difference was vast.
Went to the game . Lots of missed assignments and tackles again. Much of that due to Nova. But not all. Coen looks like a deer in headlights. Up until fumble game competitive but after not so much. nova lots of big yardage plays. LU none. Clark was better. But not good enuf. Zurn and Drwal were OK . Best runner was Colvin. One of the few LU guys who could compete with Nova.Benning also belonged on the field. Seemed to me that team played scared. Lum moved team late for last TD.

Final score much as predicted by LFN, Talley could have scored more.

Now we have 2 weeks to beat this game to death.

Only real conclusion that can be drawn is the vast talent difference betwwen us and top of CAA. Scary.
I have little doubt but that Coen will be bashed unmercifully for the next 2 weeks. Much of it deserved . The talent level however is not his fault. This is a taste of our future. The landscape has altered over the last 4 years. I do not know whether the lack of competitiveness shown over the last 2 weeks is Coens coaching or just the new reality. I do not think he has become so incompetent a coach. By now he should have learned how to be a HC. Has he? I do not know.
Coach K has always been a verg good DC. He still is. Last night his D was ineffectua lmostly to stop Nova. Leads me to conclude not his coaching ability but Nova talent responsible.

It was a long and sobering ride home last night.

Digby
September 13th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Your team loses because the other team played better and there were a ton of mistakes in last night's game. If the scholarship whining will not stop, then drop to D3.
Somehow other teams lose to scholarship programs, and beat them, without always pointing the finger at that one issue. Colgate beat a scholarship program last night and one could argue that Lehigh is a much more attractive place to play than Hamilton.
So ``man up'' and move on. Discussion of the issue is one thing. Saying after each loss that the school will never compete, or ``the whole league is a disaster'' is a cop-out.
This Lehigh team has made errors big and small for years. At least last night there were no 12-men-on-the-field penalties.

RichH2
September 13th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Digby,
My issue is not scholarships as to Nova game, just the reality that LU talent level so much lower. I listened a bit this amto Announcers. It was rather annoying rant on schollies. Whether true or not, Coen has to teach this team to win somehow. LU has beaten and lostto more talented teams in the past. This team I thought had learned how towinoff end of last year. Seemsthey forgot

ngineer
September 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I was there in the drizzle last night night as well and my take is quite simple. Villanova is one of the elite teams in FCS and the primary and far and way reason was SPEED. The reason 'nova pulled away was that they...pulled away. A number of their 'big plays' by Sczcur and Whitney was due to pure speed and athleticism that no coaching can teach. Several times Whitney was trapped and escaped with a big gain. Some of 'nova's play calls were excellent at they anticipated our D being over-aggressive on the first move and cut back against the grain with excellent vision.

I think we played better than against CCSU, but were up against a much superior team. Nova could not run on us very well up the gut. They attacked the corners, just as CCSU did and continually turned them. Not that it would have determined the outcome, but the fumble return to put VU up 24-7, rather than going in at the half down only 17-7, was a huge momentum swing. Again, not at all saying Lehigh wins, but you could sense the air come out on that play, as well as losing Walker with the ankle sprain.

Again, we came out throwing. I don't think we ran a running play until about our fourth possesion. I really question our OC's calling...early in the game, with what looked like the beginning of a drive, after one first down. We threw on first down to gain 8 yards. On 2nd and 2, and third and 2 we threw again, both incomplete and then have to punt. I just shake my head. Get the GD first down!! There is no rhyme or reason to the play calling and it repeatedly puts the offense in a position of having to make 'bigger plays', which they have not been able to do much. This was reminiscent of last year's game against Colgate when, trailing by 1 we drive down the field and had 2nd and 3 around the CU 40. We threw two consecutive passes, incomplete, which then forced a 4th down pass caught just out of bounds to end the drive for a game winning FG. The game of football is about moving the chains, and Brown has no head for that. He seems to be constantly looking for the big play. IMO you have to walk before you run. Move the chains a few times before you start taking any kind of shots. Don't get me startedxsmhx

At least our PK showed well with a nice 41 yarder, and punts were good. And get this,.....WE WON TIME OF POSSESION....31-29!!!!! (of course, a lot of that was Lehigh's 6+ minute drive in the fourth quarter against a lot of second stringers).

As for the scholarship thing...it is part of why we don't have the level of athleticsm and speed or depth that the top tier teams have. It's a fact of life and we just have to live with it until the poohbahs decide differently. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to play the CAA and others. I think it's important to test one's program against others and try and step up. It's better than playing D-II teams.

RichH2
September 13th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Well said, We also got more sacks than Nova. We have good team speed overall but No one to match up with Nova's skill kids. DL did good job. LBs Cohen OK but we could not control the edges. Fumble key play from LU view. We still lose but perhaps we arenot so flat in 3rd period. Coen did have nice touch with Colvin running a wildcat. Brown does not have any confidence in his O it seems, loses patience at the most odd times killing drives. 2 weeks to prepare for teams a bit less scary.

Ivytalk
September 13th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I hope Nova dismembers Penn next week.xwhistlex

Philliesfan980
September 13th, 2009, 07:28 PM

I'll be at Franklin Field next week, and I think it will be a somewhat competitive game. I'm thinking a Nova 28-13 type win.

Penn played them very tough last year, and they pretty much have the same team returning. They have a couple of very good defensive players, and good special teams. I'm curious to see who they play at QB next week. I forget the names, but they had a 3 ring circus out there last year, with the Sophomore playing really well at the end (Kiefer? Just taking a guess).

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM

You may just get your wish.

Go...gate
September 14th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I guess Colgate wasn't as spectacularly unworthy a representative against Villanova in the play-offs last year as some PL supporters insisted. Villanova is just a damn fine club - and the PL needs to get stronger.

Hoyadestroya85
September 14th, 2009, 03:58 AM
As a Nova supporter, i quite enjoy the Patriot League, I enjoy hearing stories of my uncle blowing out his knee chasing down Gordie Lockbaum. Something needs to be done though, you guys can't compete in the non scholarship game to the ancient eight. You need to offer full rides to get speed.

ngineer
September 14th, 2009, 07:17 AM
As a Nova supporter, i quite enjoy the Patriot League, I enjoy hearing stories of my uncle blowing out his knee chasing down Gordie Lockbaum. Something needs to be done though, you guys can't compete in the non scholarship game to the ancient eight. You need to offer full rides to get speed.

Amen. Of all elements, that was the glaring deficiency in our game on Saturday. Several times we had VU backs trapped for losses, or had angles at the corners, and the carrier still got loose. When broken plays go for or set up touchdowns, that's just pure athleticsm that cannot be coached. It has to be recruited.xnodx

RichH2
September 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
It seems like only yesterday that we fought JMU until time ran out on us for a 14-13 loss. JMU went on to win Natl Champ. Higher academic requirements, expanded Ivy aid, lots more Eastern schollie schools, the playing field much different now. Without merit aid LU faces a certain future of mediocrity.
little doubt that we cannot match IVY AID . Our niche getting smaller and smaller.

next 4weeks s/b interesting. Can Coen build on team effort vs Nova? One big advantage to playing schollie schools is that it raises your own level. Can we keep it for Princeton?
Interesting quote from Coen that Colvin "was" a qb in HS. Assume he is being moved but to where? Must get him on the field.

ngineer
September 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
It seems like only yesterday that we fought JMU until time ran out on us for a 14-13 loss. JMU went on to win Natl Champ. Higher academic requirements, expanded Ivy aid, lots more Eastern schollie schools, the playing field much different now. Without merit aid LU faces a certain future of mediocrity.
little doubt that we cannot match IVY AID . Our niche getting smaller and smaller.

next 4weeks s/b interesting. Can Coen build on team effort vs Nova? One big advantage to playing schollie schools is that it raises your own level. Can we keep it for Princeton?
Interesting quote from Coen that Colvin "was" a qb in HS. Assume he is being moved but to where? Must get him on the field.

Colvin is one of those Gordie Lockbaum types. Great athlete and can play O and D. I dare say with Walker hurt we may see him, along with Kablan. Colvin also played DB in high school.

Your observations, above, are spot on. VU has shown the PL with Colgate last year and us this year what the future looks like. We have to stop being pretenders and walk the walk. Otherwise, call the IL and set up the "IQ Bowl" the first weekend in December.