PDA

View Full Version : FCS/FBS nomenclature

henfan
September 10th, 2009, 08:00 AM
FWIW, I've noticed that many more media sources (TV, print & radio) seem to have adopted the FCS/FBS terminology over the past year. The old 'I-AA'/'I-A' monikers are still being used but not as much as last year at this same time. This confirms my suspicion that it would take a few years for the new terms to gradually slip into popular useage. It was silly for the NCAA or anyone to think that this would happen with the flip of a switch.

Now, I don't intend this thread to be a discussion on the merits/drawbacks of the D-I FB nomenclature change. If anyone wants to turn it into that, fine. I'm just making an observation and wonder if anyone else has noticed a change.

chrisattsu
September 10th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Some people may be using it, but I am still seeing quite a few sports writers (especially in major Texas newspapers) refusing to use the 'new-fangled' term.

jmufan999
September 10th, 2009, 08:16 AM
i think you're right, henfan. i've noticed a little bit more usage of FCS and FBS.

espn, especially... if they adopt it, everyone else will EVENTUALLY fall in line. like the network or not, they're very powerful.

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2009, 08:22 AM
ESPN's definitely using it, and I think the biggest thing is that they aren't referring to it as "FCS, formerly known as I-AA"

89Hen
September 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM
ESPN's definitely using it, and I think the biggest thing is that they aren't referring to it as "FCS, formerly known as I-AA"
Yes they are. Go to the schedule page on the website. FCS (formerly I-AA).

BTW, I will never change.

813Jag
September 10th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Yes they are. Go to the schedule page on the website. FCS (formerly I-AA).

BTW, I will never change.

xnonoxxnonoxxrulesxxlolx

TCisMYhero
September 10th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Lou Holtz will never say FCS. Mainly because it's too many "S"'s to slur.
"Bee-Shee-Esh. Notre Dame."

OhioHen
September 10th, 2009, 10:51 AM
The ESPN scroll at the bottom of the screen now lists "CFB Top 25," "CFB FBS," and "CFB FCS" as the leading indicator for scores that are being listed. Last weekend, the FCS vs. FBS games were listed with both FBS scores and FCS scores.

coover
September 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Heck, here on the west coast, the sports writers only know three things about college football.

1. Division I has two parts.
2. The two parts are BCS and those non-entities not members of the BCS.
3. FCS, I-AA, Division II, Division III, and or NAIA Football are all illusions. THEY DO NOT EXIST.

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Heck, here on the west coast, the sports writers only know three things about college football.

1. Division I has two parts.
2. The two parts are BCS and those non-entities not members of the BCS.
3. FCS, I-AA, Division II, Division III, and or NAIA Football are all illusions. THEY DO NOT EXIST.

xlolxxlolxxlolx