PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Texas, Texas State, Prairie View A&M

D1B
December 11th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Just got back from one of the best trips ever. Way too short.

Cap'n and I flew down together from Chicago on Friday. Houston airport is clean and well run (especially suprising since it's named after George Bush!) Man every single person I met in Texas was polite and so cool. We ran into a few "agitated" kids at the game but that the way it is.

We drove to San Marcos from Houston. Nice drive and San Marcos is a beautiful town and Texas State is a gem of a university. Thanks much to all the bobcat fans we met. I had a great time and thanks for the beers, conversation, tourist advice, and food.

My god THE WOMEN - every single female was gorgeous! Jesus H Crackers indeed. I'm seriously thinking of getting another communications degree down there. Texas State is something else.

Tailgate scene was great. They've really done well there and it's only gonna get better.

Played rap music loud during pregame warmups - that was cool.

Stadium is top notch. Beautiful stadium. I think your gonna hafta add more seats soon!

Texas State football team is the real deal. Excellent, excellent team and well coached. IMHO, the coaches could have done a better job, but we'll leave it at that. Also, the best team won that game. UNI is awesome and Sanders is the best player in 1AA, period. Nealy is great.

Texas - absolutely beautiful state. First time I've been there since the sixties. Great people too. Had a wonderful time in Austin and San Marcos.

Prarie View A&M - Campus is impressive to say the least. Capn and I drove our Mustang convertable all around and our jaw were kissing the floor. Simply beautiful. Looks like an outstanding school. No bar scene though, at least we couldnt find it. I was ****faced and prolly didnt need to do much more drinking.

Anyway, thank you Texas and Texas State for a great weekend. My wife and I are looking forward to visiting again soon. Now I know why yall loooovvve Texas!

igo4uni
December 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Hey DIB.........where's the pics?????????????

Or all they all too explicit for this fine, family oriented board??? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Retro
December 11th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Played rap music loud during pregame warmups - that was cool.

There's nothing cool about Rap (not music)! :nono:

Mountain Panther
December 11th, 2005, 07:18 PM
My god THE WOMEN - every single female was gorgeous!

That's what I've heard...my TSU grad co-workers were right. Is the Cap'n ready to change his vote for best women from GSU to TSU?

Bobcat94
December 11th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Thank you so much for the kind words about our team, our university, and our state. Very gracious winner indeed.

I'm still realing from that loss. It's bitter sweet, in that I've never felt such a strong feeling of wishing it wasn't over. I've never been one to care about the recruits or the spring game. I figure I'll come out an cheer what ever we bring. Don't get me wrong I keep tabs, but just have the time to keep up. Even the wife was saying we have to go to the spring game this year. What an emotional game, hell of a game. I don't know if it ranks or not. The way we all feel in San Marcos and at UNI, I say it probably does rank right up there.

The fan base is growing and I know a few from Austin that would take me up on a game anytime......

Thanks again for the truly kind words and go UNI!!!! Prove, at least in our minds, the national title was decided this past Friday.......

DFW HOYA
December 11th, 2005, 08:26 PM
In spite of the OT (and I really can't blame Bailiff in such a close game), the ESPN footage of the game should be mandatory viewing for every recruit that is even thinking about San Marcos. The crowd shots at Bobcat Stadium, the fan support, and the general level of play was as good or better as any half-empty Sun Belt or MAC stadium game on a Wednesday night on ESPN2.

What does a game like that do on TSU's thoughts about I-A? Building an addition in the end zone along Aquarena could bump the capacity to the 30K limit.

txstatebobcat
December 11th, 2005, 08:49 PM
What does a game like that do on TSU's thoughts about I-A? Building an addition in the end zone along Aquarena could bump the capacity to the 30K limit.

Its funny you mention that. Before the playoffs, I would have said that more than half the bobcatfans.com posters wanted for TxSt to go I-A. The playoffs converted more than a few posters to I-AA, however. Its just so exiting, and in the view of many bobcat fans, its much better than going to a minor bowl.

Bobcat94
December 11th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I am one that would have told you a year ago I'd rather be in I-A......

My wife and I have come to the conclusion, hell she talked me into it, why would anyone want to move up to a lower tier conference and play for a piss poor conference championship........(see North Texas)

The only way I'd want to see Texas State move up to I-A is if they move to a BCS conference. THAT WON'T HAPPEN!!!

There is a marketing dream in San Marcos for the I-AA game. Why compete with that other school up the road when you can get the limelight side by side.........Stay in I-AA expand the stadium to 25 or 30K (when it's needed, 'cause is not now) and play for national championships every freaking year.

MR. CHICKEN
December 11th, 2005, 08:59 PM
LONESTARS........DON'T LET UH WINNIN' SEASON...GO TA DUH NOGGIN!.....YA'LL MAY NOT BE ABLE TA PUT DAT 10 GALLON ON IT!.....I-A..IS UH STRETCH DERE LADS.........SEE IFIN' YA CAN REPEAT NEXT SEASON....ETC!........YER NO "MARSHALL"......YA GO NOW...........YA'LL BE ARKANSAS STATE!....:nono:......AWK!

DFW HOYA
December 11th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Any chance San Marcos bids on a I-AA final (or even a semifinal doubleahder if that ever comes to pass)? Nothing against Chattanooga, but if they choose to rotate sites, Texas would be a good stop, as would the West Coast.

blackfordpu
December 11th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Why did you guys (Cap'n and D1B) go to Prarie View? Not much to see there.

Sorry we missed you (TT and I), maybe the next trip. :)

beerkat
December 11th, 2005, 10:40 PM
you should come back in the summer and float the Guadalupe River, you will have the time of your life

blur2005
December 12th, 2005, 02:52 AM
There's nothing cool about Rap (not music)! :nono:
Not entirely true. Some of it is actually pretty good. But I can agree with you on some of the stuff.

Panther88
December 12th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Why did you guys (Cap'n and D1B) go to Prarie View? Not much to see there.

Sorry we missed you (TT and I), maybe the next trip. :)

Maybe. Just maybe Cap'n and D1B had to drive along Hwy 6/US 290 leaving Houston to get to San Marcos??????? Where's that confused looking smiley? lol The site of MUCH history (Texas) and you state "not much to see there?" Plz. U're thinking of Huntsville. :doh:

The people, that are Hicksville, strike again. :asswhip:

Hope you guys enjoyed your visit Cap'n and D1B. The campus is coming along just fine. Did you guys view that "state of the art" stadium of ours? lol

McNeeserocket
December 12th, 2005, 02:01 PM
In spite of the OT (and I really can't blame Bailiff in such a close game), the ESPN footage of the game should be mandatory viewing for every recruit that is even thinking about San Marcos. The crowd shots at Bobcat Stadium, the fan support, and the general level of play was as good or better as any half-empty Sun Belt or MAC stadium game on a Wednesday night on ESPN2.

The only problem with the idea of expanding the stadium is the first time they ever sold out the stadium was in December 2005 (because they were in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs). In most years, they do good to have it half full (crowds were a little better this year during regular season as they were winning more games).

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2005, 02:10 PM
The only problem with the idea of expanding the stadium is that the first time they ever sold out the stadium was in December 2005 (because they were in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs). In most years, they do good to have it half full (crows were a little better this year during regular season as they were winning more games).

I agree...

Bobcats need to consistently put up numbers. Some faithful say they sellout the opener against Tarleton St, a Div II school, next year. I say it's doubtful. There's not going to be the demand for tickets. I say they have no reason to draw under 10,000 ,but we'll see how the Ws and Ls fall next year and how the attendance reacts...

Panther88
December 12th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I agree...

Bobcats need to consistently put up numbers. Some faithful say they sellout the opener against Tarleton St, a Div II school, next year. I say it's doubtful. There's not going to be the demand for tickets. I say they have no reason to draw under 10,000 ,but we'll see how the Ws and Ls fall next year and how the attendance reacts...

Y Tarleton St and not a PVAMU? :read:

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Y Tarleton St and not a PVAMU? :read:

Call your AD and find out...

I'm thinking it's more on your side than it is of another Texas I-AA. You guys only have two, three weekends to choose from thanks to the nine-game SWAC mandate and throw in two of your games occur during our non-conference period (Grambling at State Fair, TxSo on Labor Day weekend) which complicates things especially since I bet PVA&M doesn't wanna play the week after TxSo game due to a short-week...

Panther88
December 12th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Call your AD and find out...

I'm thinking it's more on your side than it is of another Texas I-AA. You guys only have two, three weekends to choose from thanks to the nine-game SWAC mandate and throw in two of your games occur during our non-conference period (Grambling at State Fair, TxSo on Labor Day weekend) which complicates things especially since I bet PVA&M doesn't wanna play the week after TxSo game due to a short-week...

Nah. We actually do Southern immediately after the LDC w/ TxSU. However, immediately after SU, we normally have a bye (3rd weekend).

Interesting. If memory serves correct, we played SHSU either the 2nd or 3rd game of the year in the mid-80s. Ditto for SFA.

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM
PVA&M won in 1985 against Bearkats 14-9 when we were a transition team...

PVA&M had more openings back then in their schedule and no lame nine-game SWAC mandate which exists despite a conference title game...

Panther88
December 12th, 2005, 02:41 PM
PVA&M won in 1985 against Bearkats 14-9 when we were a transition team...

PVA&M had more openings back then in their schedule and no lame nine-game SWAC mandate which exists despite a conference title game...

Yeah. I was @ that game. One of the last ones played @ the old stadium (if memory serves correct). :)

I knew quite a few guys from high school that was on the SHSU "transition" team. lol SHSU had a talented squad @ WR, DL, & RB. Everything else is what we took advantage of. :)

Certainly would be "neat" if we could get together either our 3rd week or the 7th(2 games post the deal w/ Grambling - mid to late October) for a "friendly" get together. :nod:

McNeese75
December 12th, 2005, 04:28 PM
We ran into a few "agitated" kids at the game but that the way it is.

LOL, imagine that.

This is a very nice school and if they continue their progress (and keep their coach) they should turn into contender for the SLC and playoffs on a regular basis. The school is too big and is located in such a hot recruiting bed to return to the mediocrity they enjoyed for the last 20 years.

blackfordpu
December 12th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Maybe. Just maybe Cap'n and D1B had to drive along Hwy 6/US 290 leaving Houston to get to San Marcos??????? Where's that confused looking smiley? lol The site of MUCH history (Texas) and you state "not much to see there?" Plz. U're thinking of Huntsville. :doh:

The people, that are Hicksville, strike again. :asswhip:

Hope you guys enjoyed your visit Cap'n and D1B. The campus is coming along just fine. Did you guys view that "state of the art" stadium of ours? lol

Why in the world would they go north/west up 290/6 when they just had to go I-10 towards San Antonio?

How many times you made that drive? xidiotx

D1B
December 12th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Why in the world would they go north/west up 290/6 when they just had to go I-10 towards San Antonio?

Panther and Blacky - we took 290 back up towards Austin where we spent a good chunk of Saturday.

We give so much grief to the SWAC we at least wanted to check it out. Damn nice school.

Kill'em
December 12th, 2005, 07:38 PM
That's what I've heard...my TSU grad co-workers were right. Is the Cap'n ready to change his vote for best women from GSU to TSU?
Never! We've still got the best looking women. After all, I met my wife there.

Panther88
December 13th, 2005, 01:06 AM

Scenic drive... Austin... Blue Bell ice cream factory Brenham. Speed more w/out being caught lol. Make sense now? xidiotx

I never trust dudes/dudettes who drive fords anywayz. :asswhip: Long live mopar! lol

Glad U guys had a good time D1B. Hope you didn't run into too many people like black ford pickup guy. They're a lil xidiotx here. lol

TxState_GO_CATS!
December 13th, 2005, 08:10 AM
LOL, imagine that.

This is a very nice school and if they continue their progress (and keep their coach) they should turn into contender for the SLC and playoffs on a regular basis. The school is too big and is located in such a hot recruiting bed to return to the mediocrity they enjoyed for the last 20 years.

LOL, imagine that...you concentrate on the ONE semi-negative thing he says about Texas State! You're so predictable.

Of course, MCNEESE doesn't have "a few agitated fans"...they're all angels :rolleyes:

however, you are right about everything else. we're too big of a school and in too good of a recruiting area to settle for mediocrity.

Catmendue2
December 13th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Panther and Blacky - we took 290 back up towards Austin where we spent a good chunk of Saturday.

We give so much grief to the SWAC we at least wanted to check it out. Damn nice school.

PV is exceptional and the administration is top of line too. But to be honest all SWAC schools mirrors PV and all have exceptional campuses. Its amazing what a Saturday afternoon cruise can reveal. :hurray:

McNeese75
December 13th, 2005, 10:03 PM
LOL, imagine that...you concentrate on the ONE semi-negative thing he says about Texas State! You're so predictable.

Of course, MCNEESE doesn't have "a few agitated fans"...they're all angels :rolleyes:

however, you are right about everything else. we're too big of a school and in too good of a recruiting area to settle for mediocrity.

xazzx But you have settled for mediocirty for soooooooooo long. Bad habits are hard to break!!!! xlolx