PDA

View Full Version : GSU Versus SDSU Pregame

Gringer1
September 10th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I got pretty positive response from last week's write up about GSU versus Albany, so I have decided to continue the series. Hope this week doesn't disappoint.

GEORGIA SOUTHERN at SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
Saturday, September 12, 2009

CEREAL BOWL

COUGHLIN-ALUMNI STADIUM
Brookings, South Dakota

KICKOFF 7 p.m. ET

Weather:
68-54°F
Cloudy
Humidity: 84-75%
Sunset: 8:43 PM ET

http://popcdn.zoovy.lg1.simplecdn.net/img/helmethead2/W150-H150-Bffffff/S/schutt_mini_georgia_southern.jpghttp://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics18/400/EZ/EZEKUPHCQAUBQEC.20071126161316.jpghttp://www.freewebs.com/great_western_conf/South_Dakota_St.gif

South Dakota
Coach
John Stiegelmeier
OVERALL RECORD:
75-56 (12 years)
RECORD AT ALBANY:
75-56 (12 years)

Georgia Southern
Coach
Chris Hatcher
OVERALL RECORD:
90-21 (10th season)
RECORD AT GSU:
14-9 (3rd season)

SERIES RECORD:
Georgia Southern leads 3-0

LAST MEETING:
GSU 41-38, 10-6-2007
Paulson Stadium

Impact Players

Georgia Southern

Quarterback- Lee Chapple: Completed 30-of-43 passes for 259 yards and two scores last week against Albany.

Running Back- Adam Urbano: Ran the ball 7 times against Albany, averaging 7.6 yards per carry and caught 8 passes totaling 48 yards. Several of those passes came in the final 2 minutes to set up the winning field goal.

Receiver- Jamere Valentine: Caught six passes for 79 yards and was on the receiving end of both TD passes for the Eagles. Named SoCon Freshman of the Week.

Defensive Back- Darrell Pasco: Finished 2008 11th in the SoCon for pass breakups. Scored points on the defensive end when he returned a blocked extra point attempt against Albany.

Line Backer- Dion DuBose: Recorded 11 of his career-high 15 tackles in the first half against Albany.

South Dakota State

Running Back- Kyle Minett: Ran for 100 yards six times last year, finishing with 1,289 yards and 14 touchdowns. He also ranked third on the team with 44 receptions totaling 415 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Defensive Line- Danny Batten: Recorded 75 tackles, 14.5 TFL and eight sacks. The senior defensive end was named to the Buck Buchanan Award watch list, given to the FCS 'Defensive Player of the Year'. Named honorable mention All-America the past 2 years.

Quarterback- Ryan Crawford: Completed 70 percent of his passes (14-for-20) in 2008. Saw most extensive playing time of career in season finale at North Dakota State, coming on in relief of an injured Ryan Berry to complete 10-of-13 passes for 50 yards and a touchdown. Was 3-for-3 for 50 yards in home victory over Missouri State.

What to Look For

Georgia Southern and South Dakota State are both on the edge of playoff contention. A win here sets either team up to make a run for post season play. A loss will not completely end playoff hopes for either team, but it certainly creates an up hill climb.

GSU has one game under their belt, having defeated Albany in Statesboro. The Eagles didn't look razor sharp, but certainly gained much needed experience and got a better look at where they stand this season. This will be the first game of the season for SDSU, which holds advantages and disadvantages. The Eagles will have less of an idea about who the Jackrabbits are this year, but the Jacks are also largely guessing at their own potential. SDSU will certainly come out strong, but a little first game rust might slow them down.

Having the home field won't hurt the Jacks by any means, but Georgia Southern is not the type to be bothered by thousands of opposing fans.

South Dakota State will need to get newly named starting quarterback Ryan Crawford into a rythm early in the game. I would expect some simple passes to build his confidence, followed by shots down the field.

Kyle Minett is a threat in the Jacks backfield, but GSU's defense showed that they can handle top running backs by holding Walter Payton Award watchlister David McCarty to just 66 yards on 24 carries last week.

The GSU defense was stout in last week's game, but the GSU offense struggled in the first half, scoring only 1 field goal. The offense came alive in the second, engineering a come from behind victory. The offense cannot afford to start slowly against the Jacks, so Lee Chapple will need to come out strong right away.

The screen pass was one of the best weapons at GSU's disposal last week, with the Eagles getting their first offensive touchdown with it. Coach Hatcher certainly has a fondness for the play and will call it up plenty of times this week. If SDSU pressures on the corners to take this play away, Lee Chapple has the arm to tear up the middle of the field and Urbano has the legs to scamper for big yardage.

In conclusion, both teams want this game badly and the winner will almost certainly crack the top 20. Georgia Southern has all the talent they need to win this game, but if they come out flat, South Dakota State will run away and never look back. These teams are very evenly matched; the winner will breathe a sigh of relief while the loser will be disappointed at how close they came.

On a side note, I would like to take a moment to remind everyone what this weekend means. We will all go out and enjoy college football knowing that we are safe because of the sacrifices of the men and women in America's armed forces.

http://www.pinmart.com/assets/item/regular/S215.jpg

couger71
September 10th, 2009, 01:54 AM
should be a great game. I'm picking SDSU 31-21

Yes - Thankyou to all of the troops. Present/Past/Future. They defend and fight for our freedom.

God Bless the U.S.A. !!!!

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Great write-up Gringer!xbowx Very good job at being unbiased in your thoughts. I personally feel that Crawford will be ready to play on Sat, but both teams have good defenses. I think that Coach Meadows is going to go with a long play action play to start the game off with a bang and show confidence in the new qb.

I think that the Jacks take it in a close one at home in front of 14,500 Jacks fans xthumbsupx

24-21 (at least I hope xrolleyesx)

Eaglesrus
September 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Really good preview of what should be a really good game, thanks! Since we can't make the trip I sure hope that Eaglevision is working Saturday evening.

Laserlips
September 10th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Really good preview of what should be a really good game, thanks! Since we can't make the trip I sure hope that Eaglevision is working Saturday evening.

FWIW:

I've heard the GSU, Eaglevision, end of last weeks transmission was fine, it was a problem with "JUMPTV", bandwidth, etc..

Hopefully JUMP will get their act together and we can get better game transmissions in the future.

Even as crappy as last weeks transmission was it was certainly worth my $3.33. (I think three games are being televised by Eaglevision this month). xthumbsupx

Best Wishes,

Jesse

F'N Hawks
September 10th, 2009, 09:02 AM
This is going to be a good one. Tough call, I would normally pick SDSU but it seems every year the Jacks start out so bad and then finish very strong. Being this is the first game of the year I don't know what to expect from them.

Jacks fans: You guys have any insight on why the slow starts? New players, etc??

SiouxFallsJack
September 10th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the great game preview! I can't til Saturday night!

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I don't think either team can be considered on the "edge" of playoff contention in week 2, can they?

Should be a fun game.

cowbellnation
September 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM
SDSU has a nationally recognized College of Agriculture. So, for those of you that don't understand the Cereal Bowl game meaning. Here you go, from the University.

THE CEREAL BOWL: The Cereal Bowl is South Dakota State University's recognition of the state's commodity groups who have contributed more than $2 million in research grants, scholarships and donations in the past year to SDSU, which is the state's Land-Grant institution. The donations are primarily targeted for completion of the Seed Technology Building, which is the second building at the Innovation Campus currently being developed east of the SDSU campus.
Commodity groups include:
· South Dakota Agribusiness Association
· South Dakota Corn Utilization Council
· South Dakota Crop Improvement Association
· South Dakota Foundation Seed Stocks
· Hull-less Oats Growers Association
· South Dakota Oilseeds Council
· South Dakota Pulse Growers
· South Dakota Soybean Research and Promotion Council
· South Dakota Wheat Commission
In addition, 2009 marks the 30th anniversary of the Plant Science Department at SDSU.

mebisonII
September 10th, 2009, 11:06 AM
+1 to all the comments about it looking like a great game. Too early in the season to say who I'd pick to win it. I know I should cheer for my conference mates, but after the last couple years, I'd kind of just like to see the Jacks lose :P

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2009, 01:30 PM
One thing i read today in the SDSU Collegian that I didn't realize about our 8 returning players on defense, its our top eight tacklers from last season, so I'm hoping to see them really step it up this year and be dominant, but we will see.

RabidRabbit
September 10th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Gringer1:

xoutofrepx

Thanks for a GREAT write-up. I've been saying all summer that the winner of this game will make the play-offs, and the loser won't.

We'll not know for certain for 11 weeks, but I'll stick with my xreadx on this. To quote NDSU Coach Bohlxlolxxlolx "This will be a whale of game"

About 13K to watch the Jacks FINALLY get a W vs Eagles. Tight game 38-34 Jacks.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I don't think either team can be considered on the "edge" of playoff contention in week 2, can they?

Should be a fun game.

I think what he means is GSU and SDSU both need every OOC win they can get to have a shot at the playoffs because of how they stack up in their respective conferences.

Gringer1
September 10th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Very good job at being unbiased in your thoughts.

Thanks, I do try to keep these things very objective and this does look like a pretty even match up.

I think what he means is GSU and SDSU both need every OOC win they can get to have a shot at the playoffs because of how they stack up in their respective conferences.

You got me right on. What I mean to say is that SDSU and GSU have been very close to making it into the playoffs the past few years. Being picked middle of the pack in their respective conferences, they will need good OOC wins in order to make it this year.

da_Bison
September 10th, 2009, 09:15 PM
gotta go with the Jacks at home by at least 10, Kyle Minett runs wild

ASU_MBA
September 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I have a feeling that the fans of SDSU will be confused with Valentine's day coming in Sept. this year...just a prediction...

McNeese75
September 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I have a feeling that the fans of SDSU will be confused with Valentine's day coming in Sept. this year...just a prediction...

xrolleyesx Real Original!! Like, we have NEVER seen a reference like that before. I guess I should come up with a beverly hillbilly reference xcoffeex

Eagles have been to Brookings so they should know the Rabbits can be slobberknockers at home xnodx

ASU_MBA
September 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM
xrolleyesx Real Original!! Like, we have NEVER seen a reference like that before. I guess I should come up with a beverly hillbilly reference xcoffeex

Eagles have been to Brookings so they should know the Rabbits can be slobberknockers at home xnodx

hillbilly references are welcome....
just having some fun with you guys....after the rowdy ECU fans things seem too friendly xsmiley_wix

Eaglegus2
September 11th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Great write-up!! Just wish I was able to make this trip. I attended the last game in Brookings and had one hell of a time. Their fans are great. I put them in the same class of McNeese and Furman. Some of the best fans in FCS.

My prediction is a blowout by the home team or a close 3 point win by the visitors.

Laserlips
September 11th, 2009, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE=cowbellnation;1401891]SDSU has a nationally recognized College of Agriculture. So, for those of you that don't understand the Cereal Bowl game meaning. Here you go, from the University.

cbn:

Well, here in Georgia we have:

THE Sand Gnat BOWL: The Sand Gnat Bowl is Georgia Southern University's recognition of the state's large Sand Gnat population because without them, along with the horse flies, yellow flies, and standard miniature, but pesky and irritating generic Georgia gnat, our fine portion of the Peach State would be overrun with retiring Yankees. (Even more than it is now.)xthumbsupx

So, a big "THANK YOU" to our last line of defense against the Northern hoard who by legion are moving ever so slowing UP from Florida, a State they have already conquered, but whom they are being threatened daily by the new influx of Spanish speaking folks who don't care for Yankees much either.

Yowzaa..... xwhistlex

Best Wishes,

Jesse

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_0217_01.jpg

McNeese75
September 11th, 2009, 09:38 AM
hillbilly references are welcome....
just having some fun with you guys....after the rowdy ECU fans things seem too friendly xsmiley_wix

xbeerchugx Cowboy fans are just not as rowdy as usual after the close escape last week. Usually there would be plenty of good natured banter going on. I'm in Asheville and will be driving up the parkway to Boone this afternnoon. I am looking forward to a great FCS atmosphere and game tomorrow. xthumbsupx

blueballs
September 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Not to speak for the esteemed App poster, but I'm pretty sure the "Valentine's Day" quip was a reference to GSU's true freshman WR Jamere Valentine, who was the SoCon FR of the week last week after scoring two TD's receiving against Albany, one of which was on a one handed catch in the end zone.

The kid is a future star... I'm not really sure how GSU got him.

Seven Would Be Nice
September 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM
gotta go with the Jacks at home by at least 10, Kyle Minett runs wild

I don't think anyone is going to "run wild" against our D.

We kept Albany, a team that was going to "run wild" on us, to 209 yards rushing, including their Walter Payton candidate to a 2.6 average on 24 carries.

On that note, hows that new QBs arm?

RabidRabbit
September 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM

We kept Albany, a team that was going to "run wild" on us, to 209 yards rushing, including their Walter Payton candidate to a 2.6 average on 24 carries.

Apparently well recovered after breaking it in the NDSU game (which is why Berry returned, even with concussion, to FINALLY break the Fargo jinx on the Rabbits). Ryan Crawford beat out 3 other highly qualified QB's to be selected the SDSU starter. For the first game of the season, I doubt you'll see the 40 passes that Berry had in his record setting games. He does have a strong (6) group of running backs, but he also has an even better group of TE WR than Berry had to throw to. I'm guessing that you'll see a 50/50 split on run vs pass plays. Recognize that whether Crawford or one of the back-ups is in there, there is LITTLE difference in the quality of that QB so I expect that SDSU will continue it's high scoring characteristics. The biggest difference from last year is that the 8 LEADING TACKLERS are ALL back this year. I think that opponents won't score nearly as much as they did last year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM
If we get 4 solid quarters of play from Chapple and the WRs don't make too many freshman mistakes, GSU will win the game.

In 2007 Jayson Foster had more yards passing against SDSU than any other team we had on the schedule that year. I just don't think SDSU has the secondary to stop us if the passing game is on it.

da_Bison
September 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM

well you may be right, but I believe this years Jacks team will be there best "EVER" fielded

Seven Would Be Nice
September 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM
pregame activities:

http://www.baconstripranch.com/images/20_Elmer_Fudd2.jpg

RabidRabbit
September 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM
pregame activities:

http://www.baconstripranch.com/images/20_Elmer_Fudd2.jpg

And we all know how well Elmer (Eagle) did with that Rabbit! xlolxxlolx:p

ASU_MBA
September 11th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Not to speak for the esteemed App poster, but I'm pretty sure the "Valentine's Day" quip was a reference to GSU's true freshman WR Jamere Valentine, who was the SoCon FR of the week last week after scoring two TD's receiving against Albany, one of which was on a one handed catch in the end zone.

The kid is a future star... I'm not really sure how GSU got him.

yes indeed....that kid will be a star....it came down to App and GSU, well we know which one he picked...I don't think App threw the ball enough for him and he can be 'the guy' at GSU

not sure why no FBS schools got involved...he could play at that level for sure...I heard his speed was a question mark....

mmiller_34
September 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM
We kept Albany, a team that was going to "run wild" on us, to 209 yards rushing

Errr.. IMO, allowing 209 yards of rushing is exactly a "stiff" defense.. we'll see. but I suppose its better than the 350 + GSU put on SDSU in 2004? xoopsx

Baldy
September 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Errr.. IMO, allowing 209 yards of rushing is exactly a "stiff" defense.. we'll see. but I suppose its better than the 350 + GSU put on SDSU in 2004? xoopsx

To be fair, about 90 yards of that total were on a couple of 'busted' plays. Albany faked a punt and ran for about 50 on one play, and on a 4th and one the QB was stuffed at the line, but our youth and inexperience left the end wide open and the QB skirted to the corner and ran for a 40 yard TD.

Jacks02
September 11th, 2009, 04:11 PM
To be fair, about 90 yards of that total were on a couple of 'busted' plays. Albany faked a punt and ran for about 50 on one play, and on a 4th and one the QB was stuffed at the line, but our youth and inexperience left the end wide open and the QB skirted to the corner and ran for a 40 yard TD.

So you're saying the youth of Georgia Southern may be susceptible to some big plays by the Jacks?

Baldy
September 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM
So you're saying the youth of Georgia Southern may be susceptible to some big plays by the Jacks?

Anything is possible, but to my recollection those were the only big plays we gave up during the game. You might try, but I think those guys learned a lesson last week. ;)

blueballs
September 12th, 2009, 08:24 AM

I'm not too worried about the number of yards surrendered rushing by GSU last week because the defense made the plays when it mattered in the fourth quarter, forced turnovers, and scored points. GSU's very young squad had a -17 turnover margin last year and it cost them at least 3 losses on the way to the 6-5 mark. Since GSU won the turnover stat against a much more experienced Albany team that is a cause for optimism but that will be much harder to do this week against a experienced ranked team on the road.

I'm not prepared to say at this point GSU's defense is better then the senior laden 2004 unit the Jacks faced, but they are way better then the 2005 and 2007 units.

Jacks, I like your program. You improved soooooo much from 2004 to 2007 and you are class acts from top to bottom.

RabidRabbit
September 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Great write-up!! Just wish I was able to make this trip. I attended the last game in Brookings and had one hell of a time. Their fans are great. I put them in the same class of McNeese and Furman. Some of the best fans in FCS.

My prediction is a blowout by the home team or a close 3 point win by the visitors.

Well, your prediction came true. xlolxxlolx

grizzpaw
September 13th, 2009, 01:23 PM
looks like your MAKING that next step! good win!