PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post: "James Madison Counts, But Georgetown Does Not..."

DFW HOYA
September 9th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Washington Post article on the CAA's recent success:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/09/AR2009090902371.html

(That quote came, from all people, the Georgetown correspondent at the Post, discussing why some teams get I-A opponents and others do not.)

Model Citizen
September 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM
It's the truth.

You don't like it. Is that your point?

danefan
September 9th, 2009, 08:29 PM
That particular part of the statement is correct, however, the writer should at least get his facts straight.

The rule is that FBS schools can count 1 win against an FCS counter opponent towards bowl eligibility. A counter is defined as a team funding and average of 90% of the maximum allowable scholarships over the preceding two year period. 90% of 63 is 56.7. Not 60.

blukeys
September 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
That particular part of the statement is correct, however, the writer should at least get his facts straight.

The rule is that FBS schools can count 1 win against an FCS counter opponent towards bowl eligibility. A counter is defined as a team funding and average of 90% of the maximum allowable scholarships over the preceding two year period. 90% of 63 is 56.7. Not 60.

danefan, it is the Washington Post. Facts confuse them.

Model Citizen
September 9th, 2009, 09:45 PM

The rule is that FBS schools can count 1 win against an FCS counter opponent towards bowl eligibility.

Yes, the writer got lazy. He's trying to write a story that doesn't read like the NCAA rule book.

Since no I-A/FBS is scheduling multiple FCS opponents, it's a moot point. Likewise, I wouldn't complain about the difference between 56.7 and 60 unless he's actually missing a team that falls in between.

aust42
September 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
"This is the fourth year in a row that at least one CAA team has defeated a division I-A team. New Hampshire is going for its fifth consecutive win against a division I-A team this weekend. Since 1997, CAA teams boast 19 wins against division I-A opponents; no other I-AA conference comes close to matching that number."

No doubt the CAA is the most powerful conference in 1AA from top to bottom. The 19 1A wins are probably from half the teams in our conference. (without doing the research)

jcf5445
September 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Yes, the writer got lazy. He's trying to write a story that doesn't read like the NCAA rule book.

Since no I-A/FBS is scheduling multiple FCS opponents, it's a moot point. Likewise, I wouldn't complain about the difference between 56.7 and 60 unless he's actually missing a team that falls in between.

Ole Miss is playing 2 FCS opponents this year. SE Louisiana and Northern AZ.

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2009, 09:56 PM

I don't think this is true. Someone in either the Big East or ACC plays 2 FCS teams.

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Rutgers plays Howard and Texas Southern

aust42
September 9th, 2009, 10:19 PM

The writer is obviously rounding the number up. He's not going to waste space in the article explaining and typing out the exact rule which the average reader could give a crap about.

GATA
September 9th, 2009, 10:31 PM

*********. North Carolina is playing Georgia Southern AND the Citadel this year.

Just last year, Georgia Tech played Gardner Webb and Jacksonville State.

FBS teams schedule two I-AA teams often.

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2009, 07:38 AM
*********. North Carolina is playing Georgia Southern AND the Citadel this year.

Just last year, Georgia Tech played Gardner Webb and Jacksonville State.

FBS teams schedule two I-AA teams often.

Exactly, which is why some "non-counters" like CCSU and Albany are likely to get more I-A games in the future.

jmufan999
September 10th, 2009, 08:13 AM
i love mickey, but i don't think the top 15 FCS teams could compete with "anyone in the country" on the FBS level. every single FCS team would get DESTROYED by Florida, just as an example.

there was something else i was going to say but now i can't remember it.

danefan
September 10th, 2009, 08:33 AM
The writer is obviously rounding the number up. He's not going to waste space in the article explaining and typing out the exact rule which the average reader could give a crap about.

Come on though - have some pride in your work. Saying 57 and adding a "one" takes up very little space. All I'm asking for is a little accuracy from anewspaper - which is probably too much to ask for.

HoyaMetanoia
September 10th, 2009, 09:12 AM
i love mickey, but i don't think the top 15 FCS teams could compete with "anyone in the country" on the FBS level. every single FCS team would get DESTROYED by Florida, just as an example.

Yeah. Not even close.

Jackman
September 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM

I would agree, but for a Mickey quote that's relatively non-crazy.

Rob Iola
September 10th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Then again, most FBS teams would get destroyed by Florida too...