PDA

View Full Version : Old Dominion Coach mentions Montana Fans

Ronbo
September 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Old Dominion Coach mentions Montana Fans in a letter to his fans.

Dear Old Dominion Football Fans,

On behalf of our Coaches and players, I would like to thank you for a memorable first night. Words cannot describe how you made us feel running thru the tunnel for the first time, after our first touchdown, and after our first interception. Our players have talked about having goose bumps every time you stood as one and made our team play faster while our opponent played slower. A long time college Coach once told me that a great home crowd will give you the feeling that you are starting the game up 10-0. What he meant was the opponent will make so many mistakes due to the crowd noise you will gain a touchdown and a field goal from your crowd, if they are loud !!!
On Friday night at the Pep Rally I challenged our students to make a difference in this first game. I would say that causing 7 penalties due to noise in making a difference !!! I told the students that every time our opponent got a penalty that they were responsible for, I would point to them. I was thrilled to point to the student section 7 times as a salute for what they and the rest of our faithful had just caused to happen. Nothing illegal happened by our crowd. No rules of sportsmanship were broken. What we had was a true home field advantage. I have coached in stadiums all over the country in my career. Penn State, Ohio State, Tennessee, and Nebraska to name a few. All of these facilities held 80,000 to 100,000 people. None of these stadiums were as loud as the only F.C.S. school in the country to sell more season tickets then Old Dominion, The University of Montana.
What made Montana different was the fans were at their loudest when their opponent was on offense. They knew they could eliminate the offensive check system with noise. They were the 12th defender on the field by making the offense predictable. And they took great pleasure in every penalty the visiting team received. They knew that was their penalty !!! Last Saturday night, you were responsible for 7 penalties.
You were responsible for 10 points. You did your part, and we did our part. It was a true team victory. The 11 players on the field, and the 12th man in the stands.

Thank you all for a job well done last Saturday and let's all plan on doing it again this Saturday. You are a very important part of our team !!!

Bobby Wilder
Head Football Coach
Old Dominion University

89Hen
September 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Does Montana have a nice stadium?

ASUG8
September 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM

This post is worthless without pics xlolx

FCS Go!
September 9th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Yes, Montana does have a nice stadium. Here is a picture in case you haven't seen it before:

http://www.grizzoulian.com/Wash%20Griz%20night.jpg

andy7171
September 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Yes, Montana does have a nice stadium. Here is a picture in case you haven't seen it before:

http://www.grizzoulian.com/Wash%20Griz%20night.jpg

Dude! I've seen bigger crowds at a Towson game!

FCS Go!
September 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM
My bad. Here is a pic with fans:

http://www.umt.edu/images/photolib/351_photo.jpg

ChickenMan
September 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM
My bad. Here is a pic with fans:

http://www.umt.edu/images/photolib/351_photo.jpg

here' another one!

http://www.ihsa.org/initiatives/hstoric/files/fraternities/phillips%20football%20team%201906.jpg

:p

andy7171
September 9th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Second guy in on the left....I NEED THAT SHIRT!!!!

CrunchGriz
September 9th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Please note: 89Hen started this one about the stadium. The original post was about the fans, not the stadium, and he had to hijack it with talk about WGS.

Whatever happens in this thread is entirely your fault, 89. May you get what you deserve. ;)

89Hen
September 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Please note: 89Hen started this one about the stadium. The original post was about the fans, not the stadium, and he had to hijack it with talk about WGS.

Whatever happens in this thread is entirely your fault, 89. May you get what you deserve. ;)
I'm just Joe Public asking for the goods. :)

ASUG8
September 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I was surprised the bait got taken so quickly 89 xlolx How many Wa-Griz photo threads are there on the site? xrulesx

89Hen
September 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I was surprised the bait got taken so quickly 89 xlolx
Nah, the regulars only take the bait as a joke and ruin the fun. I was hoping some new Griz fan would be chomping at the bit. BTW, have we gotten any new Griz fans in the last 12 months? xeyebrowx

Big Al
September 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Second guy in on the left....I NEED THAT SHIRT!!!!

I definitely like the style of the two guys on the left. They've got Moxie!

mtgrizfan4life
September 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Many GRIZ fans are now at another FCS website too. I will not post it here. I go to both sites pretty equally though. ODU coach is off to a good start with GRIZ fans though.

Thanks coach, We appreciate the love. xthumbsupx

aust42
September 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Can't wait to visit ODU when the Bluehens make their first trip down there. What was the attendance for ODU's first game?

mcveyrl
September 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Can't wait to visit ODU when the Bluehens make their first trip down there. What was the attendance for ODU's first game?

It was a lot. Close to 20K (I think around 19,900). I was in Hampton Roads because of a family emergency and got to watch all the coverage. Would've loved to have made it over there, but no time and no ticket made that a dicey prospect.

Silenoz
September 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Nah, the regulars only take the bait as a joke and ruin the fun. I was hoping some new Griz fan would be chomping at the bit. BTW, have we gotten any new Griz fans in the last 12 months? xeyebrowx
I was a lurker before 12 months ago...

Besides, I would never post those pics

Because they're out of date and don't show off WSG's true glory xlolx

aust42
September 9th, 2009, 04:10 PM
It was a lot. Close to 20K (I think around 19,900). I was in Hampton Roads because of a family emergency and got to watch all the coverage. Would've loved to have made it over there, but no time and no ticket made that a dicey prospect.

Very impressive. Right off the bat their 2nd in attendance in the CAA behind Delaware. Obviously that will only help their recruiting efforts.

NFLCB2
September 9th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I played there I honestly have to say its one of the hardest stadiums to play at by far!

RadMann
September 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Jeez, I wish UD would get out of the CAA Virginia conference. Adding another program so far away is uninteresting to me. Georgia State is even more exciting! Yawn....

89Hen
September 10th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Jeez, I wish UD would get out of the CAA Virginia conference. Adding another program so far away is uninteresting to me. Georgia State is even more exciting! Yawn....

xconfusedx I agree about GSU, but ODU is closer than UMass, URI, NU, UNH and Maine. xconfusedx