PDA

View Full Version : Iowa still ranked = more respect for the FCS?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I was just wondering this given the history of AP voting. I can remember UGA dropping one place in the AP poll after a 20-point win over GSU. And when App. State lost to Michigan they went immediatley from being a top-5 to being unranked. I was thinking Iowa might not get a single vote but I was pleased to see them still at #22 despite the fact that I hate the Big 10 and would like to see them lose their BCS bowl bid.

CrackerRiley
September 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Iowa is not still ranked this week.....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

they were 22 last week

HoyaMetanoia
September 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Wow. This is a stretch...

crunifan
September 8th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I was happy to see Iowa fall out of the rankings...for now. I do hope they beat Iowa State (always good to put the Cyclones in their place) and return to the top 25. But it feels good to at least stunt them, haha.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2009, 08:50 PM
oops
xoopsx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Well maybe we can turn this into a complaining thread...

OSU drops two places in the top 10 for a close win to Navy and Iowa falls out for a close win over UNI?

xmadx

JSU02
September 8th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Well Georgia Tech beat us by 20 and moved up 2 spots to #13, and we dropped 2 spots.

Big Al
September 8th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Well, the voters at large don't know jack squat about UNI, so they automatically think Iowa is down. To be fair, maybe they are. Or maybe it's September and Kirk Ferentz can't get an Iowa team to gel until October.

Oh, and I think Navy is better than people realize, although I do think OSU is still probably over rated by about 5 spots.

Hoyadestroya85
September 8th, 2009, 09:33 PM
People on AGS seem to be forgetting that UNI LOST this weekend.. they didn't beat Iowa, they lost. They couldn't put it away. Good teams win close games.

smallcollegefbfan
September 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
ECU has lost some points after their close win against App State. Looks like even the giant killers in FCS still aren't getting any respect either.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM
People on AGS seem to be forgetting that UNI LOST this weekend.. they didn't beat Iowa, they lost. They couldn't put it away. Good teams win close games.

That's not the point destroya.

Why should Ohio State only drop a few spaces within the top 10 for a close win to Navy (who has a losing record against Delaware since 2003) while Iowa goes from 22 to not being ranked for a close loss to UNI?

sikolec
September 8th, 2009, 11:24 PM

Why should Ohio State only drop a few spaces within the top 10 for a close win to Navy (who has a losing record against Delaware since 2003) while Iowa goes from 22 to not being ranked for a close loss to UNI?

I think that both Iowa as well as Ohio State deserved to drop in the polls. Not being able to beat weaker opponents by a decent margin is not poll worthy in my opinion. The Big Ten struggles against the flexbone triple-option (Ohio St. vs. Navy this year, Cal Poly vs. Wisconsin last season)

blukeys
September 8th, 2009, 11:53 PM

It seems you don't quite get it. In 2007, the last time Navy and Delaware played, Delaware beat Navy and Navy beat Notre Dame and went to a bowl game. NAVY is a tough team for any FBS school. I don't think OSU is going to challenge for the NC but to use Delaware's record against Navy as a reason to impugn Navy suggests that you are still convinced that the best in FCS are inferior to FBS teams.

A true FCS fan would understand that Delaware's record against Navy is a positive for FCS teams. Instead you use that record to impugn Navy. Just whose side are you on? It appears that you believe that a losing record against a FCS team despite years of success against FBS teams makes the FBS team inferior as opposed to giving credit to a FCS team. Some would see UD's record against a consistent bowl team such as Navy as a positive for FCS. Sorry that you are not in that category.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 9th, 2009, 07:21 AM
It seems you don't quite get it. In 2007, the last time Navy and Delaware played, Delaware beat Navy and Navy beat Notre Dame and went to a bowl game. NAVY is a tough team for any FBS school. I don't think OSU is going to challenge for the NC but to use Delaware's record against Navy as a reason to impugn Navy suggests that you are still convinced that the best in FCS are inferior to FBS teams.

A true FCS fan would understand that Delaware's record against Navy is a positive for FCS teams. Instead you use that record to impugn Navy. Just whose side are you on? It appears that you believe that a losing record against a FCS team despite years of success against FBS teams makes the FBS team inferior as opposed to giving credit to a FCS team. Some would see UD's record against a consistent bowl team such as Navy as a positive for FCS. Sorry that you are not in that category.

Not trying to impugn Navy or UD. I think that AP voters believe that Navy is one of the better non-BCS teams (which I agree with) and they don't seem to think the best FCS teams are of equal caliber, which is what I object to. I hold UD's record versus Navy as proof of that, and for that matter the FCS's performance against conference USA last week.

Hoyadestroya85
September 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I'm just saying that Iowa still won and even if they didn't win by three touchdowns, they still pulled it off and for all we know they could still go to the Rose Bowl. I just get tired of all these threads about "respect" for the FCS and a new thread whenever Joe Quarterback from an FBS school decides to transfer.

Kabooom
September 9th, 2009, 12:17 PM
....What respect??

tribe_pride
September 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Navy was 8-5 last year with a win over a ranked team and played in a bowl game. They were a good squad last year and people expect that it will continue this year. I don't think you are giving enough respect to their squad. Should OSU have dropped more, probably but that is why they play the games.