PDA

View Full Version : The Valley After Week 1

PantherRob82
September 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM
This week I got to watch most of the teams in the Valley. I miss out on SIU, Il St, and YSU. SDSU had the week off. Here's my opinion so far.

1a. UNI- UNI looks to have lost very little from last year. If anything, I might say they are even better. Freshman Carlos Anderson is one of the most slippery RBs I've seen at this level. QB Grace was as accurate and poised as I've seen him. O and D lines held their own with a team that will finish in the top half of the Big 10.

1b. SIU- The Salukis went on the road and took Marshall to the end. It's hard to say how good Marshall will be this year, but SIU took a long trip and fought hard. I have a hard time bumping them any lower with a great effort and some poor efforts below them.

3. SDSU- I have the Jacks at 3 partially on preseason thoughts, but also based on the poor play of the other teams I HAVE seen.

4. NDSU- The Bison made a lot of mistakes at Iowa State on Thursday. If they can eliminate some of these mistakes then there's no reason to think they can't finish in the top 3 and possibly get their first playoff spot. Mertens still looks like he is making some pretty poor reads at QB.

5. WIU- The 'necks won at Sam Houston State on Thursday night, but it was ugly. The run game appears to have some issues, and personally, I think this game was more of a showing on exactly how bad SHSU is this year. QB Matt Barr had a field day, throwing for over 400 yards. A lot of those yards were to WIDE open WRs.

6. Illinois State, YSU, Indiana State, and Mo State - All of them looked pretty bad to me. Didn't "see" YSU, but they didn't appear to do anything at Pitt.

This is just a real quick synapsis to get some discussion going. Rip away! :D

Big Al
September 8th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I definitely think UNI played a good game -- the scary part is there were definitely areas for improvement! While Iowa isn't a top 25 caliber team without Hampton, they are certainly a top 40 team in the BCS, and that's saying something.

The Flying Egyptian Dogs Who Eat Children will learn that Marshall is a pushover compared to UNI. They're still second-best in the league.

Dakotas - Who knows? NDSU didn't impress in the game against Iowa State but it's the first game of the season and Iowa State is in flux so it's hard to judge their talent. One of these teams will get a bid to the playoffs.

WIU - Fightin' Leathernecks need to understand how to play this modern passing game or they'll never make it past mid-level of the conference.

Ill State - What the hell, Redbirds? I expected better. You let Jake Christianson manhandle you? Do you know how insulting that is?

YSU - They got hypnotized by the 'stache. Anyone that loses to Wannstadt -- and I mean anyone -- deserves only scorn and derision.

MSU - Terry Allen, you ain't what you used to be. Did the Kansas gig break your spirit?

Indiana State - *sigh*You're the football equivalent of a trailer-park girlfriend who keeps on going back to her loser boyfriend for another beating. Somethings has gotta change.

mmiller_34
September 8th, 2009, 06:21 PM
We'll see what SDSU has this weekend when Georgia Southern comes to town.

UNI Pike
September 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I have to say that the NDSU run game looked fairly solid. A lead blocking fullback and I believe it was #12 Paschall earning some good yards. The downside is that ISU was trying to arm tackle most of the game.

The QB play of Mertens, well, my Mom told me not to say anything if I don't have anything nice to say. So here it goes - his uniform looked to be the right size for him.

straightshooter
September 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
You mean former GSU RB Patrick Paschall? Man I'd forgotten about that guy. The
Eagles had big plans for him, but the books got him. Glad he worked things out and is playing again. Pat's got some talent.

X-Factor
September 8th, 2009, 08:57 PM
You mean former GSU RB Patrick Paschall? Man I'd forgotten about that guy. The
Eagles had big plans for him, but the books got him. Glad he worked things out and is playing again. Pat's got some talent.

that's the man. We picked him up as a sophmore from the JUCO that GSU sent him to. He has backed up Tyler Roehl for the past two seasons and did a fabulous job AND has stayed out of trouble. Unless someone really comes out of the woodwork, he is probably the best RB in the Missouri Valley this season.

THE HERD
September 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I agree:with some earlier poster about NDSU cleaning up some mistakes, which would make them pretty darn tough as well. I was very impressed with our O-line performance against the Cyclones, just hope they can stay away from the injury bug that bit us last year. It is going to be very interesting on how it all shakes out. I expect the game with Sam Houston this weekend will give us a better idea of what we are working with this year. We have a lot of very good young players, true freshmen Mike Sigers is a highlight real waiting to happen. I do not know who the Bearkats are going to kick to this weekend....Shamen Washington or Sigers. That decision is like ointment or suppositories for the bearkats. ha ha [/B]:D UNI looked very tough, congrats on the game....you should have won.

MSUBear42
September 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM
MSU - Terry Allen, you ain't what you used to be. Did the Kansas gig break your spirit?

A 38 point loss is a 38 point loss, but we were a phantom whistle, a few terrible calls, and a nonsense reversal of a challenge from scoring 24 on an SEC defense.

I still think the Bears will finish with 7 wins this season.

These were my grades:

Sure, the 38 point deficit isn’t something to be proud of, but when you look into individual performances this years Bears team is going to be able to make some noise when they play against other FCS schools.

The News-Leader’s grades seemed to have forgotten one thing, the Bears weren’t playing another FCS school out there, they were playing a very talented SEC school in front of 55,547 fans. So, keeping that in mind, this is the grade report for the first game of the season.

Passing Game: C+
Kirby played a good game against the UA secondary and showed a few flashes of his scrambling ability. He was hurried a few times early on in the game which may have affected how he played the rest of the way. He also was playing with a big gash above his eye, which resulted in 6 stiches. The new faces showed some incredible speed and Harbor, once again, proved why he’s a 2-time All-American.

Running Game: C
Douglas and Cooper-Falls will be two excellent RBs to have for MSU. CF was a human pinball out there in the 2nd half. These two deserve the bulk of the playing time at the RB position.

Run Defense: A-
2 AWESOME goal line stops give the Bears this high of a grade. If this was last year, UA would have walked right into the endzone.

Pass Defense: C-
Did they give up a UA school record in pass yards? Yeah, but it with a QB that will undoubtelbly be in the NFL in a few years. The UA WRs were just too much for MSU to handle. We didn’t have much of a pass rush, but that might have been because we were dropping so many people back in coverage.

Special Teams: D+
You just can’t give up a Kick off TD return, especially on the first play of the game. That said, MSU had some good punts and Hottleman hit a career-long FG for the Bears’ first points.

Coaching: C
No trick plays?

`````
That said, if we go out there and lose to Tenn-Martin, you can resume with the Bear Bashing!!:D:Dxlolxxlolx

PantherRob82
September 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM
that's the man. We picked him up as a sophmore from the JUCO that GSU sent him to. He has backed up Tyler Roehl for the past two seasons and did a fabulous job AND has stayed out of trouble. Unless someone really comes out of the woodwork, he is probably the best RB in the Missouri Valley this season.

Carlos Anderson, UNI.

PantherRob82
September 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Good to hear from some other fans. I thought my synapsis would bring out a lot more comments. SIU, YSU, WIU?

Bam
September 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Indiana State - *sigh*You're the football equivalent of a trailer-park girlfriend who keeps on going back to her loser boyfriend for another beating. Somethings has gotta change= CLASSIC

leatherneck177
September 9th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Obviously I do not feel the same about everyone's impressions from the WIU-SHSU game. A road win against a SLC team is still a road win. I'll take it.

Yes, SHSU has a horrible pass defense, however I felt good that we have SOME ability to through the ball. Anyone that has paid any attention to WIU and the MVFC realizes that the Necks will need a balanced attack this year with the loss of Donaldson.

The defense has some good young players and the offense is pretty young as well. I think we could finish around 7-4, with 2010 giving us another excellent shot at the playoffs.

siuham
September 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Only thing I disagree with is keeping Indiana State on the same plane as the other three #6's.

Just waiting for the year we or UNI wins the away game to finally take the conference with no questions.

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Indiana State - *sigh*You're the football equivalent of a trailer-park girlfriend who keeps on going back to her loser boyfriend for another beating. Somethings has gotta change= CLASSIC

They looked MUCH better at Louisville. I predict they get a win in the MVFC this year.

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Obviously I do not feel the same about everyone's impressions from the WIU-SHSU game. A road win against a SLC team is still a road win. I'll take it.

Yes, SHSU has a horrible pass defense, however I felt good that we have SOME ability to through the ball. Anyone that has paid any attention to WIU and the MVFC realizes that the Necks will need a balanced attack this year with the loss of Donaldson.

The defense has some good young players and the offense is pretty young as well. I think we could finish around 7-4, with 2010 giving us another excellent shot at the playoffs.

From watching the game, I felt like Barr was throwing some pretty bad passes. WRs would get way behind the DBs and then sit and wait for the ball. A couple of them were still caught, but a couple were broken up.

I just don't think WIU's offense will have much success against the top half of the conference.

MSUfan2010
September 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM
They looked MUCH better at Louisville. I predict they get a win in the MVFC this year.

I doubt it. Their only two shots would be MSU and ISU(red). Both of those are on the road. If they do win one, it will have to be against YSU or WIU at home

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM
It's not like MSU and ISU RED are impossible places to win.

ysubigred
September 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Not much to say about YSU. 5th trip to a BCS school for a payday and yet to score a TD xmadx We did have 6 players suspended for this game xconfusedx We never got the names or why xeekx

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Not much to say about YSU. 5th trip to a BCS school for a payday and yet to score a TD xmadx We did have 6 players suspended for this game xconfusedx We never got the names or why xeekx

That's very odd? Starters? Maybe Heacock needs to go?

Jacks02
September 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Carlos Anderson, UNI.

Kyle Minett, SDSU

Houndawg
September 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Good to hear from some other fans. I thought my synapsis would bring out a lot more comments. SIU, YSU, WIU?

SIU let one get away that was very winnable. I don't know how Marshall will do but they do have some good athletes.

Both teams got TDs off short fields from turnovers.

SIU once again came out of a halftime lead sleep-walking against a hurry-up.

Chris Dieker will be the most underrated QB in the MVC this year. He ran for two and threw for two and looked real good on a 4th quarter 91 yard drive that closed the gap to 3 after the defense held on downs in the red zone. He has a big arm and doesn't go down easy.

The D will be giving up size all year but they are fast, and they can hit. Last year they caused 30 turnovers plus a dozen more fumbles they didn't recover and they're all but one back. Bradin Jordan looks like a legit contender for the Buchannon award: 12 tackles - two for a loss, one sack, one forced fumble, and a QB hurry that was picked off. Held Marshall to 76 yards rushing and 2.0 yards per carry.

The offense looked pretty good for playing a first game against a FBS opponent, one TD came off of a short field TO, two drives were for 60 yards and one for 91 yards. Dieker has a big arm. RB was by committee and picked up about 125 yards, 65 by Deji Karim.

Scott Ravenesi averaged 45.5 yds/punt.

Stevie Strother is a serious burner.

Redbird Ray
September 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Instead of watching that snorefest in Columbus Sat night, be sure to flip on the BTN and see Illinois State try to lose by less than 30 to the farting Illini. I get five bucks if we can keep the margin under 30! xlolx

Also, Illinois State may suck this year, but I have confidence that once coach Spack gets his horses in the barn, in two/three years, we'll be pretty tough, until then, I'll be pleasantly surprised with any win(s).

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Instead of watching that snorefest in Columbus Sat night, be sure to flip on the BTN and see Illinois State try to lose by less than 30 to the farting Illini. I get five bucks if we can keep the margin under 30! xlolx

Also, Illinois State may suck this year, but I have confidence that once coach Spack gets his horses in the barn, in two/three years, we'll be pretty tough, until then, I'll be pleasantly surprised with any win(s).

Wow. that's a bummer to just hope you lose by less than 30.

BearsCountry
September 9th, 2009, 02:59 PM

Illinois looked horrible last Saturday.

Redbird Ray
September 9th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Illinois looked horrible last Saturday.

This is true, but I have a feeling they are looking to take their frustrastions out on us. I'm hoping we have some more fight than last week, but I'm not expecting much.

X-Factor
September 9th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Carlos Anderson, UNI.

While Kyle Minnett is up there with Paschal, Anderson has a long ways to go and even more to prove to be put in the same camp as the other two.

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2009, 09:02 PM
While Kyle Minnett is up there with Paschal, Anderson has a long ways to go and even more to prove to be put in the same camp as the other two.

Maybe if you haven't watched him play. xrolleyesx

I would be suprised if he doesn't have at least 10 100yard games this year.

unigriff
September 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM

HAHAHAHA. Now If I was in school still I'd be a homer and say Carlos is the best ever at UNI and would dominate the rest of the conferences running backs.

However, now that I am not...I haven't seen Carlos in person for a game, but I have seen those other powderpuffs. In just one game, against traditionally one of the best (top 10) rush defenses in the country, made some moves all those others wish they could make. He is going to be a phenom. Not to mention he took the entire rushing load on himself...to get pounded for 60 minutes by a Big10 beast by yourself...is like committing murder in front of 1000 spectators, and he conquered them all.

However though, Minnett might be almost better than Omar Cuff.

JackTwice
September 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
We are pretty proud of Kyle here in Jackland.

I have never seen Paschall and I would bet he'll be pretty damn good but lets see him get through a season in the MVFC before we start saying that Minett is up there with him. Kyle has proven himself already.

Also, I turned off the UNI game after a bit because Anderson scared me too much. There were times he was the best player on the field.

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Where are some Iowa fans when you need them?

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM
RUSHING No. Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg.
Anderson,Carlos 24 81 6 75 0 12 3.1
VS. Iowa (2008 Rushing Def was 9th in the country at 94/yd pg)

Pat Paschall 21 151 5 146 1 62 7.0
VS. Iowa State (2008 Rushing Def was 95th in the country at 176.17/ypg)

I think we need some more info before "we" decide Anderson isn't a top back. Looks pretty good so far to me.

MSUBear42
September 9th, 2009, 10:46 PM
My picks for this week:

EIU vs Indiana ST
MSU vs UT-Martin
YSU vs Peay
UNI vs SoDak
Illinois vs IL State
NDSU vs SHSU
GSU vs SDSU
No IL vs WIU

Thumper 76
September 9th, 2009, 11:00 PM
EIU vs Indiana ST
MSU vs UT-Martin
YSU vs Peay
UNI vs SoDak
Illinois vs IL State
NDSU vs SHSU
SDSU vs GSU
No IL vs WIU

RabidRabbit
September 9th, 2009, 11:08 PM
EIU vs Indiana ST
MSU vs UT-Martin
YSU vs Peay
UNI vs SoDak
Illinois vs IL State
NDSU vs SHSU
SDSU vs GSU
No IL vs WIU

AAAAHHHHHH, another smart Rabbitxbowxxbowx

I agree with these choices.

MSUfan2010
September 10th, 2009, 01:18 AM
It's not like MSU and ISU RED are impossible places to win.

Who said they were? Wouldn't you agree that their best chance is going to come at home? I would bet they have a better chance of beating WIU or YSU at home than MSU or ISU on the road.

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2009, 02:09 AM
AAAAHHHHHH, another smart Rabbitxbowxxbowx

I agree with these choices.

That is, brother Rabbid, because great minds think alike do they not?xrotatehx Why else would we be Jacks fans xthumbsupx :Dxlolx

Houndawg
September 10th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Maybe if you haven't watched him play. xrolleyesx

I would be suprised if he doesn't have at least 10 100yard games this year.

I would be surprised if my daughter didn't, given that O-line.

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Who said they were? Wouldn't you agree that their best chance is going to come at home? I would bet they have a better chance of beating WIU or YSU at home than MSU or ISU on the road.

I don't think they have any kind of home field advantage.

TCisMYhero
September 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Where are some Iowa fans when you need them?

They've got to worry about not being the first BCS team ISU has beaten in how many years. Here's hoping the sky falls in Iowa City in 2 daysxlolx

ISUMatt
September 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Wow. that's a bummer to just hope you lose by less than 30.

We lost starting QB Drew Kiel to a thumb ligament injury...He was 20-22 vs EIU...Now we have an inexperienced QB in there, with a terrible offensive line, with a new spread offense that didnt look farther than 15 yards downfield vs EIU...Id be THRILLED if we kept it under 30!!!

By the way...our defense was dead tired by the middle of the 3rd quarter last week, and thats not going to improve vs Illinois

My take

Illinois 49
Illinois State 10

We are STILL better than Indy St though xlolxxnodx

ISUMatt
September 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
EIU vs Indiana ST
MSU vs UT-Martin
YSU vs Peay
UNI vs SoDak
Illinois vs IL State
NDSU vs SHSU
SDSU vs GSU
No IL vs WIU

JBB
September 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I cant call them all anymore, dont read enough, but I do know this:

The NDSU@SHSU game has all the earmarks of a blow-out. I have it 34-17 BISON but I wouldnt be surprised to see 45-14. Of course a win is a win and Ill take it by 1, I just dont see it happening. There is nothing to indicate a competitive contest.

leatherneck177
September 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM
EIU vs Indiana ST
MSU vs UT-Martin
YSU vs Peay
UNI vs SoDak
Illinois vs IL State
NDSU vs SHSU
SDSU vs GSU
No IL vs WIU - yes they will get it done.

JayJ79
September 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM

"violation of team rules"

just like every other suspension in college football. :p

JayJ79
September 10th, 2009, 06:23 PM
They've got to worry about not being the first BCS team ISU has beaten in how many years. Here's hoping the sky falls in Iowa City in 2 daysxlolx

yes, ISU was winless against BCS teams last year (beating only SDSU and Kent St.).
But they beat 3 BCS teams in '07 (Iowa, Kansas State, and Colorado).

I'd rather see Iowa win the game this weekend. Though I don't really care too much either way.

da_Bison
September 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM
EIU
MSU
YSU
UNI
Illinois
NDSU
SDSU
No IL

UNIFanSince1983
September 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
EIU vs Indiana ST
MSU vs UT-Martin
YSU vs Peay
UNI vs SoDak
Illinois vs IL State
NDSU vs SHSU
SDSU vs GSU
No IL vs WIU

CopperCat
September 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
We'll see what SDSU has this weekend when Georgia Southern comes to town.

I would actually be watching this game if I could find it somewhere. Both of these teams have potential, but aren't really being talked about much.