PDA

View Full Version : NEC Power Rankings - Week 2

dgreco
September 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I am going to try to do my own power rankings for the NEC. Not too much insight, just some thoughts of who I think are the strongest and weakest in the conference (on a week by week basis).

1. Albany (0-1) - A great game against Georgia Southern. They kept it close and had the chance to win. On the road in the first game of the season versus a SoCon team is a tough task and Albany handled it well. I think besides the losing the game many Albany fans are going hope with an overall positive response to how the team played.

2. CCSU (1-0) - Central Connecticut is always right there fighting for the top and they needed to make a statement early this year. The offense may be boring at time, not everyone enjoys the option, but it is effective for the team and it proved to work in week one. Beating a good Lehigh time on the road is a nice accomplishment for the Blue Devils.

3. Monmouth (0-1) - Monmouth had an okay showing, not a great showing versus Colgate. Colgate was predicted second in the Patriot League, and it showed. MU has a strong team coming back, especially their senior RB, who should continue to make a strong impact.

4. Duquesne (1-0) - Duquesne gets the #4 spot because they got a DI win in week one. It was a good game against Bucknell and proved that they are rebuilding. They should have a better second year in the NEC than they did last year.

5. RMU (0-1) - RMU had a good showing against VMI. They had the chance to win the game, but couldn't win in the end. VMI is a good first week opponent and it should help them this week when they go up against Bucknell. I think they will be right around the 5 spot all year in the NEC.

6. Bryant (1-0) - Bryant beat SCSU, a decent DII team, and it was an okay win - but they should of played a lot better at home. They should of won by more, but they could not get the ball in the endzone. The Defense showed up, much like they did all of last year, and were the saving grace both last week and last season. I think Hofstra will be a tough game, but hopefully after week 1 they have all the kinks out with the offense.

7. St. Francis (0-1) - We always hear SFPA is going to be better, but they always seem to fail in those predictions. I think we all thought they would be blown out by UNH early and the game would be over before the half. I think they showed that maybe they are making the turn and will be a good team this year. Their matchup with Morehead State will tell us a lot.

8. Sacred Heart (0-1) - I am still not sold on Marist being a very good team. I think they get a few good wins every year, but are not consistent. I thought SHU was going to be a top team in the NEC this year, but the perform was very subpar. They have a tough matchup this week and they might start the year off a lot different that lasts year.

9. Wagner (0-1) - Maybe Stonehill just has there number, but losing to a DII team two years in a row is tough. They need a big win this week to save face otherwise it might be a hard season for Wagner. I hope Stonehill was a fluke and not a precursor to the rest of their season.

hope you enjoy.

SUUTbird
September 8th, 2009, 02:14 PM
2. CCSU (1-0) - Central Connecticut is always right there fighting for the top and they needed to make a statement early this year. The offense may be boring at time, not everyone enjoys the option, but it is effective for the team and it proved to work in week one. Beating a good Lehigh time on the road is a nice accomplishment for the Blue Devils.

Doesnt CCSU run the spread? Every video clip of them i have seen shows them running out of the shotgun.

dgreco
September 8th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Doesnt CCSU run the spread? Every video clip of them i have seen shows them running out of the shotgun.

I am 99% positive they run the option. I have only seem them once, last year, so I could be mistaken. A Central Connecticut fan like ace could give more details.

dgreco
September 9th, 2009, 07:51 AM
http://pic.phyrefile.com/a/an/anonymous/2008/12/08/bump.gif

Original_RMC
September 9th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I'll join the fun and will probably get a lot of replies for my list.
My power rankings consist of record plus your opponent.

1. CCSU (1-0) - CCSU won the road against a tough Lehigh team. CCSU could be the team that spoils Albany quest for 3 straight NEC titles. CCSU adding a passing attack makes them very dangerous.

2. Duquesne (1-0) - The Duke beat a solid Bucknell team. Are the Dukes for real this year? I still think they are 1 year away from making some real noise in the NEC but they are #2 because they won.

3. Albany (0-1) - Albany should be #1 and they should have won that game but they didn't. Albany will learn a lot from this game and still are the class of the NEC but to be #1 you have to win.

4. St. Francis (0-1) - WHAT?!?!?...SFPA #4? Yep...SFPA showed a lot of guts & heart playing the #8 in the nation and only lost by 10 points. Is SFPA breaking out of its shell?...perhaps. I think SFPA will put off 1 major upset within the NEC this year.

5. Monmouth (0-1) - A tough game against Colgate who has a QB that will be on a NFL roster. The next game is not any easier for Monmouth...I just hope that learn from these tough games.

6. RMU (0-1) - Just like Albany, RMU should have won their game but they didn't. RMU better beat Bucknell because after one game certain fans or players or coaches are not happy with the current starting QB already. (Crazy)

7. Bryant (1-0) - Bryant had a tough home game against a decent DII team. I'm looking for a good showing against Hofstra.

8. Sacred Heart (0-1) - What happen Sacred Heart?...I thought this was their year to move up and maybe crack the top 3 in the NEC. Hats off to Marist as they show that they are not the same Marist from the MAAC.

9. Wagner (0-1) - Wagner...please win or maybe we contact Marist in the off season.....

Tribe4SF
September 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM

They run option out of a conventional pro-set, shotgun most of the time. Two wide receivers, and a tight end. Don't think they use any spread stuff, with 4 or 5 wideouts and wide gaps. I'm sure there's some read-option in there, but I gather most of it is directed at the edges with the QB reading the DE. Interesting match-up this week against the Tribe's very quick defensive front.

blukeys
September 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM
They run option out of a conventional pro-set, shotgun most of the time. Two wide receivers, and a tight end. Don't think they use any spread stuff, with 4 or 5 wideouts and wide gaps. I'm sure there's some read-option in there, but I gather most of it is directed at the edges with the QB reading the DE. Interesting match-up this week against the Tribe's very quick defensive front.

Interesting matchup. It might give some insight to the PL guys. Can you give thoughts after the game Tribe???

Tribe4SF
September 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Interesting matchup. It might give some insight to the PL guys. Can you give thoughts after the game Tribe???

You bet.

If you're interested in thoughts on the UVA game, I said in another thread that I was pleased with what I saw at half-time, and a little surprised that we did not wear down at all in the second half. The defense seemed to grow stronger, and more confident as the game wore on. Our question mark OL held their own against a good UVA defensive front, and our young LBs were exceptional. The other unknown at CB produced a new star in rFr. BW Webb. We also appear to have found our fourth receiver in rFr. Ryan Moody, who had 3 catches for 70 yards. Archer missed twice on wide open deep routes that would have been TDs, but he lead the offense with a composed and heady performance.

NFLCB2
September 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM
What is the criteria for ranking these teams? Based off who laid a egg the first game? Who had better match-up?

Original_RMC
September 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
What is the criteria for ranking these teams? Based off who laid a egg the first game? Who had better match-up?

I did my by record and strength of their opponent

NFLCB2
September 9th, 2009, 03:19 PM
So your saying based on how they played will measure to their rank?

Original_RMC
September 9th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I did my list by records and then who they played
For Example
Both CCSU & the Dukes are 1-0 but CCSU played a tougher opponent so on my list, they are ranked #1.
But and I know I might get some grief for this...Bryant played a DII so playing a level down hurts your ranking.
Losing to a lower level team (Wagner) = basement.

dgreco
September 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I did my list by records and then who they played
For Example
Both CCSU & the Dukes are 1-0 but CCSU played a tougher opponent so on my list, they are ranked #1.
But and I know I might get some grief for this...Bryant played a DII so playing a level down hurts your ranking.
Losing to a lower level team (Wagner) = basement.

basically did the same thing, but I weighed the close lose to GSU a little higher than the win over Lehigh etc...