PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-7

JALMOND
September 8th, 2009, 01:45 AM
So the first week is in the books and we learned...basically nothing. The conference teams playing DII won and those playing FBS lost (and NAU did neither). This week should provide some excitement. Here are the new power rankings. This week (last week). All are my opinion and all open for discussion.

1. Montana (1)---The Griz got a win over DII Western State, but the game left many people, including some of the Griz faithful, not satisfied. A top tier FCS team playing a marginal DII team at home left some thinking that the margin should have been greater. Still, a win is a win. This week finds the Griz on the road against a good UC-Davis team, a team that gave the Griz fits in Missoula last year.

2. Weber State (2)---The Wildcats went into Wyoming last week fully expecting to come out with a win. What they didn't realize was that a good defense can usually shut down a good offense and the Cowboys took advantage of Wildcat mistakes. Still the Wildcats kept it close and this week, another upset possibility as they head to Colorado State. Can they do it?

3. Eastern Washington (3)---The Eagles held off a pesky Western Oregon bunch and took the victory. Whether they are playing for pride and not the playoffs remains to be seen, and how good they are also remains to be seen. They let the Wolves hang around until the fourth quarter, and now they head to Pac-10 opponent, California. How good are they?

4. Montana State (4)---More questions than answers for the Bobcats. Granted they knew last week's game at Michigan State was going to be tough, but no one really thought the Bobcat defense would give up 44 points, or that the offense would stall at 3 points. This week, a chance to answer some questions as they welcome DII Dixie State to Bozeman.

5. Northern Arizona (5)---As some teams took on DII and won, and some teams faced FBS and lost, the Jacks took advantage of the week off and got ready for their opener this week at Arizona. Poised for an upset or just trying to get through it, one thing is the Jacks will us the week off and will be ready.

6. Sacramento State (6)---Good things anticipated for the Hornets going into the year, and then they run into a buzzsaw in UNLV. Thinking they could stay with the Rebels, the Hornets laid an egg and the game got ugly in a hurry. This week, they go back on the road to Cal Poly, a fellow FCS team, but just as difficult. Can they find a way to get the win?

7. Northern Colorado (7)---All indications were that the Bears were in for a dogfight against Kansas, a team looking to make a statement themselves. Unfortunately for the Bears, the game was not even close. This week, they have a chance to redeem themselves as they welcome FCS non-scholly San Diego. Before they think it will be easy, keep in mind that they lost to the Torreros a couple years back. History repeats itself?

8. Portland State (8)---A lot of questions answered and a lot of good things happened for the Vikings in their game against Oregon State, but the Vikings still found themselves on the short end of the scoreboard. The speed of Oregon State was on display and the Vikings ended up the scapegoats. This week a little easier competition as they host NAIA Southern Oregon.

9. Idaho State (9)---This year, the Bengals were hoping to show that they were as improved as anyone. But what was on display was the same old Bengals as they were blown away by the Pac-10 Arizona State. This week, things do not get any better as the Bengals head to Oklahoma. Well, maybe better as Heisman winner Bradford will not play.

No changes, which happens when the games go as planned. Next week, changes are imminent, no doubt.

Ronbo
September 8th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Hauck was trading QB's every 3rd series as well as 2nd and 3rd stringers platooning throughout the game. Every kid on the team got lot's of playing time including 7 true freshmen. 4 Defensive starters were held out with nagging injuries and yet the WSU offense never crossed the Montana 29 yard line and was held to 57 yards rushing and 56 yards passing. A dominating performance doesn't always show up on the scoreboard.

You have to applaud WSU also as their offense didn't give up a turnover and had very few penalties. They played mistake free but didn't move the ball much. We moved the ball up and down the field and missed two field goals and fumbled the ball on the 1 yard line.

Excuses, excuses, excuses! xlolxxlolxxlolx

Bottom line, 25,685 attendence, school record and $750,000 in the bank. How much did Temple pay Villanova????? What did Richmond make????

putter
September 8th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Hauck was trading QB's every 3rd series as well as 2nd and 3rd stringers platooning throughout the game. Every kid on the team got lot's of playing time including 7 true freshmen. 4 Defensive starters were held out with nagging injuries and yet the WSU offense never crossed the Montana 29 yard line and was held to 57 yards rushing and 56 yards passing. A dominating performance doesn't always show up on the scoreboard.

You have to applaud WSU also as their offense didn't give up a turnover and had very few penalties. They played mistake free but didn't move the ball much. We moved the ball up and down the field and missed two field goals and fumbled the ball on the 1 yard line.

Excuses, excuses, excuses! xlolxxlolxxlolx

Bottom line, 25,685 attendence, school record and $750,000 in the bank. How much did Temple pay Villanova????? What did Richmond make????

This was a good game for the Griz to be ironing out the wrinkles but I just hope next year they don't charge us $26 to watch part 2 of this glorified scrimmage.

ncbears
September 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I don't disagree with any. Nice job Jalmond!

Native
September 8th, 2009, 05:16 PM
So the first week is in the books and we learned...basically nothing. The conference teams playing DII won and those playing FBS lost (and NAU did neither). This week should provide some excitement. Here are the new power rankings. This week (last week). All are my opinion and all open for discussion.

1. Montana (1)---The Griz got a win over DII Western State, but the game left many people, including some of the Griz faithful, not satisfied. A top tier FCS team playing a marginal DII team at home left some thinking that the margin should have been greater. Still, a win is a win. This week finds the Griz on the road against a good UC-Davis team, a team that gave the Griz fits in Missoula last year.

2. Weber State (2)---The Wildcats went into Wyoming last week fully expecting to come out with a win. What they didn't realize was that a good defense can usually shut down a good offense and the Cowboys took advantage of Wildcat mistakes. Still the Wildcats kept it close and this week, another upset possibility as they head to Colorado State. Can they do it?

3. Eastern Washington (3)---The Eagles held off a pesky Western Oregon bunch and took the victory. Whether they are playing for pride and not the playoffs remains to be seen, and how good they are also remains to be seen. They let the Wolves hang around until the fourth quarter, and now they head to Pac-10 opponent, California. How good are they?

4. Montana State (4)---More questions than answers for the Bobcats. Granted they knew last week's game at Michigan State was going to be tough, but no one really thought the Bobcat defense would give up 44 points, or that the offense would stall at 3 points. This week, a chance to answer some questions as they welcome DII Dixie State to Bozeman.

5. Northern Arizona (5)---As some teams took on DII and won, and some teams faced FBS and lost, the Jacks took advantage of the week off and got ready for their opener this week at Arizona. Poised for an upset or just trying to get through it, one thing is the Jacks will us the week off and will be ready.

6. Sacramento State (6)---Good things anticipated for the Hornets going into the year, and then they run into a buzzsaw in UNLV. Thinking they could stay with the Rebels, the Hornets laid an egg and the game got ugly in a hurry. This week, they go back on the road to Cal Poly, a fellow FCS team, but just as difficult. Can they find a way to get the win?

7. Northern Colorado (7)---All indications were that the Bears were in for a dogfight against Kansas, a team looking to make a statement themselves. Unfortunately for the Bears, the game was not even close. This week, they have a chance to redeem themselves as they welcome FCS non-scholly San Diego. Before they think it will be easy, keep in mind that they lost to the Torreros a couple years back. History repeats itself?

8. Portland State (8)---A lot of questions answered and a lot of good things happened for the Vikings in their game against Oregon State, but the Vikings still found themselves on the short end of the scoreboard. The speed of Oregon State was on display and the Vikings ended up the scapegoats. This week a little easier competition as they host NAIA Southern Oregon.

9. Idaho State (9)---This year, the Bengals were hoping to show that they were as improved as anyone. But what was on display was the same old Bengals as they were blown away by the Pac-10 Arizona State. This week, things do not get any better as the Bengals head to Oklahoma. Well, maybe better as Heisman winner Bradford will not play.

No changes, which happens when the games go as planned. Next week, changes are imminent, no doubt.

Nice job yet again, JALMOND! You're HIRED!

Unfortunately, NONE of the Big Sky teams acquitted themselves as well as I expected this past weekend. Just a few bright spots for Montana, Weber and Eastern Washington, but really ugly on down the line.

I hope this week is better for everyone! However, it may take 3-4 weeks for things to settle down.

saccat
September 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I think the Cats WR proved they could get open against good CB's. The problem was they also proved they can drop passes when they are open. Our Secondary should be almost back to normal in the coming weeks. If we can stop the run like we did for most of the game against the Spartans (wore down in the 4th) we should be O.K. this year. I actually think the cats had quite a number of Positives coming out of this game. I know that the score was ugly, but I saw some very good things on the field. No turnovers and some good looking plays and players.

Native
September 8th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I think the Cats WR proved they could get open against good CB's. The problem was they also proved they can drop passes when they are open. Our Secondary should be almost back to normal in the coming weeks. If we can stop the run like we did for most of the game against the Spartans (wore down in the 4th) we should be O.K. this year. I actually think the cats had quite a number of Positives coming out of this game. I know that the score was ugly, but I saw some very good things on the field. No turnovers and some good looking plays and players.

No turnovers and a strong run defense against the Spartans?!?? That is good news, indeed!

Native
September 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM

Your rush defense performed well in the 4th quarter! I only added up 14 net yards rushing for the Spartans, out of a total of 181 for the entire game.

JALMOND
September 8th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Nice job yet again, JALMOND! You're HIRED!

Unfortunately, NONE of the Big Sky teams acquitted themselves as well as I expected this past weekend. Just a few bright spots for Montana, Weber and Eastern Washington, but really ugly on down the line.

I hope this week is better for everyone! However, it may take 3-4 weeks for things to settle down.

I don't like leaving the teams in the same spots. I usually can make a case for someone moving up or down. The only one I really considered was Sac State as I thought they could stay with UNLV. But if I move them down, who do I move up? Northern Colorado looked just as terrible against Kansas. Portland State came out of their game with Oregon State actually looking pretty decent, but still, the Vikings could only muster up 7 points (and that was on a late touchdown). The long run, I took the easy way and left all teams as is.

Casey_Orourke
September 9th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I'm just glad that the Portland State did not give up any QB sacks to a larger, faster and more athletic Oregon State defensive line. Not bad against a team that has been picked to be a contender for the Pac 10 title.

CopperCat
September 9th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I'm just glad that the Portland State did not give up any QB sacks to a larger, faster and more athletic Oregon State defensive line. Not bad against a team that has been picked to be a contender for the Pac 10 title.

OSU is good. And for PSU to keep the ball like they did was great! My sister is actually going to OSU in two weeks so I'm sorta a Beavs fan now.

On a side note, I didn't know you were a TACP!!!!xeekx Hats off to you sir, you have more cojones than everyone on this board.xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM
OSU is good. And for PSU to keep the ball like they did was great! My sister is actually going to OSU in two weeks so I'm sorta a Beavs fan now.

On a side note, I didn't know you were a TACP!!!!xeekx Hats off to you sir, you have more cojones than everyone on this board.xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

I've always been a fan of the Beaver! :Dxsmiley_wix

As always, Jalmond has done a good job of breaking it down. xthumbsupx