PDA

View Full Version : Big South - Week 2 Predictions

Redwyn
September 6th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Great week for the Big South, with two good wins by G-Webb and VMI over DII and the NEC, and good fights by Coastal and Liberty in their FBS games. SBU also came close to Hofstra, losing in what I still believe was a blown pass interference call by the ref.

Games this week:

Charleston Southern @ Wofford - Woffard's smarting over a decent sized loss against South Florida, I expect this to be a revenge game: Woffard by 2 touchdowns

Coastal Carolina vs. Monmouth - Coastal Carolina played a hard fought game against Kent State. If the Chanticleer offense picks up this game, Monmouth should be down for the count early: Coastal Carolina by 2 thouchdowns

Gardner-Webb @ Western Carolina - G-Webb took the last time these teams faced each other, and after a good win against DII Webb should be feeling much better than Western Carolina (who got dropped badly against Vanderbilt). I see history repeating itself for the Runnin Bulldogs: G-Webb by a touchdown

Liberty vs. North Carolina Central - Liberty played hard against West Virginia, and I think will be revved up against North Carolina Central. I wasn't impressed with NC Central's game against Hampton. The stats don't show so much of a game plan rather than mistakes turning into big plays. I see Liberty running away with this one: Liberty by two touchdowns

Presbyterian vs. Elon - Presby is back home for their game against Elon, a team that hasn't shown any real flaws in a drubbing of Davidson. While Davidson is from the *gasp* Pioneer League, Presby is still going through some growing pains. I see this one slightly closer than other gaps I've predicted, but still a relatively easy win for Elon: Elon by 10

Stony Brook @ Colgate - I loved Stony Brook's work against Hofstra. Their defense showed coherence, their new QB did a great job, and the only real flaw I saw was their running game, which was stifled by a highly touted Hofstra run defense. On the other hand, Colgate had a great running game with an anemic pass offense. I see Stony Brook winning this game, though certainly not by the margin it had last year when it gave Colgate a surprise stomping out on Long Island: Stony Brook by 3

ToTheLeft
September 7th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Charleston Southern @ Wofford - The puppies take this by 28+

Coastal Carolina vs. Monmouth - I really think CCU will struggle, and this game will come down to the wire. Monmouth didn't look awful against Colgate, and so I think they will challenge the Chants all the way to the end, but the Chants win by less than 7.

Gardner-Webb @ Western Carolina - I really don't know how to pick this. One got beat up by a much better team, and one beat up on a much worse team. I will go with the Runnin' Dogs, but not by much.

Liberty vs. North Carolina Central - Liberty.

Presbyterian vs. Elon - Elon by 28. I am really high on Elon this year. Presby, not so much.

Stony Brook @ Colgate - Can I predict a tie? I think this will be a very close game, and there will not be a lot of scoring. I will go under-30, and pick the Wolves straight up.

kdinva
September 7th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Wofford 35, CSU 14
Stony Brook 23, Colgate 17.
Gard-Webb 24, WCU 20
Liberty 49, NCCU 14
Elon 42, Presby. 14
CCU 26, Monmouth 20.

Sly Fox
September 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Charleston Southern @ Wofford - Terriers by 14

Coastal Carolina vs. Monmouth - Beach Chickens by 7

Gardner-Webb @ Western Carolina - Dawgs by 3

Liberty vs. North Carolina Central - Flames by 30+

Presbyterian vs. Elon - Fightin' Christians by 21

Stony Brook @ Colgate - Seawolves rebound by 7

Uncle Buck
September 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Great week for the Big South, with two good wins by G-Webb and VMI over DII and the NEC, and good fights by Coastal and Liberty in their FBS games. SBU also came close to Hofstra, losing in what I still believe was a blown pass interference call by the ref. ...

Great effort by SBU, but you're offense did nothing all night and was not in position to put up a quick strike score. Even without the PI, you still have at the very least 70 + yards to go for the tying score with 2 minutes left. It was a great effort, but that was not the deciding factor.

Now, good luck with Colgate this week, i'll be pulling for you. I'm sure they will be sky high this week looking to even up last year's whooping that you gave them.

kdinva
September 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Great week for the Big South, with two good wins by G-Webb and VMI over DII and the NEC.........
Hell, VMI had four drives stall inside the RMU 25 with zero pointsxnonono2x (two lost fumbles, two lost chances on downs, and Sparky second-guessed himself in the post-game about not going for the FG on those two drives)......coulda/shoulda won by 21+, but RMU much better than two years ago (41-13 VMI win in Pa.).

The Cats
September 7th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Charleston Southern @ Wofford - Wofford by as many as they want to score.

Coastal Carolina vs. Monmouth - Beach Chickens lose by 7

Gardner-Webb @ Western Carolina - Cats by 10

Liberty vs. North Carolina Central - LU by 14

Presbyterian vs. Elon - Elon by 28

Stony Brook @ Colgate - toss up!!!

Seawolf97
September 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Coastal vs Monmouth- Chants too much for the Hawks. Chants by 13
Liberty vs NC Central- Flames by 14 - they had good showing against Big East power West
Virginia.
Charleston Southern vs Wofford- Terriers too much to handle. Bucs still recovering from being Gator food. Terriers by 14.
Running Bulldogs vs the Catamounts- pick em and leaning toward the Bulldogs!
Presby vs Elon - Riddle and the gang too much for the Blue Hose. Phoenix by 2 TD's.
Seawolves vs the Raiders-The lights go out again for the Raiders. SBU by 10
Good luck to all the teams this weekend no matter how things turn outxthumbsupx

CSU Girl
September 7th, 2009, 12:25 PM
CSU by 2 TD's (Don't underestimate us!)
Liberty by 14
Coastal by 14
dogs and cats close call
Elon
Colgate by 1 TD (lost a key player this weekend so it will be tough for them)

EagleDawg
September 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Charleston Southern @ Wofford - Wofford by 13.

Coastal Carolina vs. Monmouth - Chants lose by 3

Gardner-Webb @ Western Carolina - Dawgs by 10

Liberty vs. North Carolina Central - LU by 17

Presbyterian vs. Elon - Elon by 28

Stony Brook @ Colgate - SB by 1

Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
September 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Liberty vs. North Carolina Central - Liberty played hard against West Virginia, and I think will be revved up against North Carolina Central. I wasn't impressed with NC Central's game against Hampton. The stats don't show so much of a game plan rather than mistakes turning into big plays. I see Liberty running away with this one: Liberty by two touchdowns

Well, with all due respect to Liberty U, I don't expect NCCU to just roll over and play dead.

Expect NCCU to come and play.

Good Luck to all Programs on Saturday.

Take Care!

hoseman
September 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Same as Slyfox.

(The NCCU team will give it their all as they always do but LU has too much ammo.)

BJuice
September 9th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Games this week:

Charleston Southern @ Wofford

Coastal Carolina vs. Monmouth

Gardner-Webb @ Western Carolina

Liberty vs. North Carolina Central

Presbyterian vs. Elon

Stony Brook @ Colgate

Charleston Southern by 6
Monmouth by 7
Gardner-Webb by 10
Liberty by 13
Elon by 14
Stony Brook by 6

SUUTbird
September 10th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Charleston Southern @ Wofford: Bucs put up a better game then they did at Florida, still fall to a better Wofford Team; 38-14 Terriers

Coastal Carolina vs. Monmouth: The Chants offense needs to come alive in this one, i think it will; 24-21 Chanticleers

Gardner-Webb @ Western Carolina: I think the Dawgs will beat the Catamounts soundly in this Dog vs Cat battle; 35-17 Bulldogs

Liberty vs. North Carolina Central: The Flames made me confident that besides their losses last year they could take the Big South, feel bad for NCCU; 42-21 Flames

Presbyterian vs. Elon: The Blue Hose while getting better, wont be able to stop Elon;
28-14 Phoenix

Stony Brook @ Colgate: The Seawolves had a great showing at Hofstra, I see SB taking this over Colgate as the Raiders lost one of their best; 31-28 Seawolves

Zeus69
September 10th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Liberty by 35
Coastal by 21
WCU by 14
Elon by ALOT
SB by 7
CSU by 3 (upset pick)

ASU_MBA
September 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Wofford 42, CSU 14
Stony Brook 24, Colgate 17.
WCU 24, Gard-Webb 14,
Liberty 52, NCCU 7
Elon 49, Presby. 17
CCU 21, Monmouth 14.

ASU_MBA
September 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
What is with all the Charleston Southern upset over Wofford picks....Are they 'homer' picks or do
you guys think Woffy is that bad or did Charleston Southern show you something in the UF game that I missed...

Just curious...i think it is a rebuilding year for wofford but they are still going to be a solid team. Eric Breitenstein will be a tough guy for CSU to tackle.....

bjtheflamesfan
September 10th, 2009, 12:44 PM
North Carolina Central @ Liberty
LU 42-21 (With all due respect to NCCU fans, you guys have certainly imporved but something tells me everything will come together for a Flames victory

WC 35-10 CSU is making improvements but They are not better than the boys from Spartanburg

Coastal Carolina @ Monmouth The Hawks are at home this time but I think the Chants pull this one out in a low scoring affair

CCU 21-17

Elon @ Presby
The Blue Hose are at home...yeah...still doesnt help...
EU 49-7

Stony Brook @ Colgate
Theyre at Colgate this time but I think the Seawolves win one for the Big South
SBU 35-31

CarolinaGirl
September 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM
North Carolina Central @ Liberty
LU 42-21 (With all due respect to NCCU fans, you guys have certainly imporved but something tells me everything will come together for a Flames victory

WC 35-10 CSU is making improvements but They are not better than the boys from Spartanburg

Coastal Carolina @ Monmouth The Hawks are at home this time but I think the Chants pull this one out in a low scoring affair

CCU 21-17

Elon @ Presby
The Blue Hose are at home...yeah...still doesnt help...
EU 49-7

Stony Brook @ Colgate
Theyre at Colgate this time but I think the Seawolves win one for the Big South
SBU 35-31

Would your score prediction be any different if I told you the game is being played at the beach so the Hawks are NOT home? xeyebrowx

Wofford v. CSU - CSU doesn't stand a chance
Stony Brook @ Colgate - close but I think the Wolves pull it off in the last 2 minutes
WCU v. Gard-Webb - I normally prefer cats over dogs but not this time
Liberty v. NCCU - Liberty without question
Elon v. PC - Elon runs away with this one
CCU v. Monmouth - if CCU can find its offense and the D can play like they did last week, CCU should regain some confidence in a blow out.

bjtheflamesfan
September 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Would your score prediction be any different if I told you the game is being played at the beach so the Hawks are NOT home? xeyebrowx

Wofford v. CSU - CSU doesn't stand a chance
Stony Brook @ Colgate - close but I think the Wolves pull it off in the last 2 minutes
WCU v. Gard-Webb - I normally prefer cats over dogs but not this time
Liberty v. NCCU - Liberty without question
Elon v. PC - Elon runs away with this one
CCU v. Monmouth - if CCU can find its offense and the D can play like they did last week, CCU should regain some confidence in a blow out.

Hmm...it would...CCU 28-17

Tealblood
September 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
which is more significant

CCU's inability to move the ball against Kent St.

or CSU's ability to move the ball at the end of the Florida game against 3rd and 4th team Defense

and before the CSU people say it. I watched the game none of the players in the 4th quarter for UF will play again until they blow somebody else out

BJuice
September 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM
That is tough because I think they are equally significant, but for opposite reasons.

CCU's inability to move the ball is just a continuation of a stagnant offense that has now completed 10 quarters of scoreless football. 2 quarters against Presbyterian. 4 quarters against Charleston Southern. 4 quarters against Kent State. So, that is significant for a bad reason.

CSU's ability to move the ball against Florida is significant because it shows that some of the concerns and question marks heading into the season for CSU might not be concerns afterall, especially by the time conference play starts. CSU's ability to move the ball was not just present at the end of the game against the 3rd or 4th team Florida defense. CSU totaled 206 yards of offense in the first half when most of the Florida starters were still playing. CSU finished with 323 yards of total offense. That means we had more yardage (206) in the first half against the Florida starters than we did in the second half (117) against the 3rd and 4th team Florida defense. CSU also did not fumble and did not give up a sack. These results are significant for a positive reason.

Coastal's total offense against Kent State = 185 yds.
Charleston Southern's total offense against Florida = 323 yds.

With all due repsect to the defenses in the Big South Conference, whether it was Florida's
1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th team defense doesn't really matter. They are all better than any defense that CSU will see in the Big South this year.

Sly Fox
September 12th, 2009, 10:01 AM
With all due respect, yardage against Florida's walk-on scout team should come easier than against scholarship defenders. We'll see how well you guys move the ball when a game is actually still winnable.

Frankly I'd love to see a Big South sweep this week.

Libertine
September 12th, 2009, 10:40 AM
With all due repsect to the defenses in the Big South Conference, whether it was Florida's
1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th team defense doesn't really matter. They are all better than any defense that CSU will see in the Big South this year.

Noted and recorded. You've scored 10 points on our defense in two years so, "with all due respect", that's a pretty dumb statement.

DKHardee
September 12th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Wofford v. CSU - TERRIERS
Stony Brook @ Colgate - SEAWOLVES
WCU v. Gard-Webb - BULLDOGS
Liberty v. NCCU - FLAMES
Elon v. PC - PHOENIX
CCU v. Monmouth - CHANTICLEERS

PhoenixMan
September 12th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Charleston Southern @ Wofford - Terriers by 14

Coastal Carolina vs. Monmouth - Beach Chickens by 7

Gardner-Webb @ Western Carolina - Dawgs by 3

Liberty vs. North Carolina Central - Flames by 30+

Presbyterian vs. Elon - Fightin' Christians by 21

Stony Brook @ Colgate - Seawolves rebound by 7

Elon is the Phoenix now....although Fightin Christians was cool and unique. Elon won 45-12 last year over PC. I look for a bigger Elon win this year, both teams are better, but Elon has everyone back.

OLDLCOACH111
September 12th, 2009, 03:07 PM
That is tough because I think they are equally significant, but for opposite reasons.

CCU's inability to move the ball is just a continuation of a stagnant offense that has now completed 10 quarters of scoreless football. 2 quarters against Presbyterian. 4 quarters against Charleston Southern. 4 quarters against Kent State. So, that is significant for a bad reason.

CSU's ability to move the ball against Florida is significant because it shows that some of the concerns and question marks heading into the season for CSU might not be concerns afterall, especially by the time conference play starts. CSU's ability to move the ball was not just present at the end of the game against the 3rd or 4th team Florida defense. CSU totaled 206 yards of offense in the first half when most of the Florida starters were still playing. CSU finished with 323 yards of total offense. That means we had more yardage (206) in the first half against the Florida starters than we did in the second half (117) against the 3rd and 4th team Florida defense. CSU also did not fumble and did not give up a sack. These results are significant for a positive reason.

Coastal's total offense against Kent State = 185 yds.
Charleston Southern's total offense against Florida = 323 yds.

xlolxxlolxLOLxlolxxlolx.. BJUICE.. ARE YOU KIDDING ME.... CSU WAS A TEAM THAT FINISHED LAST PLACE IN THE THE BIG SOUTH FOR SCORING OFFENSE AND TOTAL OFFENSE IN 2008.... I WOULD BE MORE WORRIED ABOUT RESPECTING THE BIG SOUTH DEFENSE INSTEAD OF TRYING TO FIGURE UP A MORAL VICTORY AGAINST FLORIDA'S DEFENSE....

2008 Big South Conference Football Team Statistics (Final 2008) (Conference games)

SCORING OFFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. Liberty............. 5 23 21 0 0 9 0 186 37.2
2. VMI................. 5 19 18 0 2 3 1 147 29.4
3. Stony Brook......... 5 16 13 0 0 4 0 121 24.2
4. Gardner-Webb........ 5 13 10 0 0 6 0 106 21.2
5. Coastal Carolina.... 5 14 8 2 0 3 0 105 21.0
6. Charleston Southern. 5 11 7 1 0 4 0 87 17.4

TOTAL OFFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------------
1. Liberty............. 5 1163 1193 331 2356 7.1 23 471.2
2. Gardner-Webb........ 5 528 1681 374 2209 5.9 13 441.8