Stony Brook @ COLGATE

LEHIGH @ Villanova

FORDHAM vs. Bye

A bad start for the Patriot League who went 1-3 vs. OOC:

vs. CAA: 0-1
vs. NEC: 1-2

RichH2
September 6th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Geez Carney you are a sadist. I need moretimeto mourn and recover from my hangover.

HC big over SHU

LC squeaks by GU

BU close over RMU

SB nailbiter over Gate

Nova rolls

Bye over FU

blukeys
September 6th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Geez Carney you are a sadist. I need moretimeto mourn and recover from my hangover.

HC big over SHU

LC squeaks by GU

BU close over RMU

SB nailbiter over Gate

Nova rolls

Bye over FU

That school Bye is still unbeaten. ;)

Seawolf97
September 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I hope Colgate pays their electric bill by next Saturday!xrulesx

RichH2
September 6th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Nope, their O runs much better w/o the glare. If Eachus not ready Gate in for a long game. With him SB will face a very tough game

Redwyn
September 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I'm seein a massive revenge win for SBU. That pass interference call was the absolute worst call I've ever seen made in a football game, and the entire team knows it. Can't wait to see how this turns out

breezy
September 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Holy Cross
Bucknell
Lafayette
Colgate
Villanova

Ivytalk
September 6th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Holy Cross
Bucknell
Lafayette
Stony Brook
Villanova

Seawolf97
September 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Nope, their O runs much better w/o the glare. If Eachus not ready Gate in for a long game. With him SB will face a very tough game

We shall seexcoffeex

Go...gate
September 6th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I'm seein a massive revenge win for SBU. That pass interference call was the absolute worst call I've ever seen made in a football game, and the entire team knows it. Can't wait to see how this turns out

You mean for last week's game or for last year against Colgate? You killed us last year 42-26.

carney2
September 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Sacred Heart @ HOLY CROSS
Holy Cross The top tier of the Patriot League vs. a NEC also-ran. The ‘saders shot themselves in the foot so many times last week that they can’t have many of those self mutilations left for this year. They will use the Pioneers to make a statement.

Robert Morris @ BUCKNELL
Bucknell I’m losing patience with the “improved” Buffalos who blew a chance to throw a “W” on the chart against an unimpressive Duquesne team. I guess I’m thinking that Bobby is a notch lower on that NEC food chain.

LAFAYETTE @ GEORGETOWN
Lafayette Lots of bad vibes coming out of Easton. Last week’s stalwart effort in Woo was, from all reports, a mirage, and I’m betting that the Hoyas just don’t have the firepower to take advantage.

Stony Brook @ COLGATE
Stony Brook Just a hunch that yet another conference gets a leg up on the woeful Patsies.

LEHIGH @ Villanova
Villanova If there’s a bigger mismatch anywhere in America this weekend I can’t imagine what it might be. The big winner here will be Colgate whose playoff embarrassment of last November will be forgotten by 10:00 PM on Saturday.

FORDHAM vs. Bye
Bye The humiliating pounding by CAA bottom feeder Rhode Island (the Rhodies were up by 34 before our Rams dented the scoreboard for the first time) should lay to rest any thoughts of a Fordham resurgence.

ngineer
September 6th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Another performance like last week and the Crusaders will need a Sacred Heart transplant. Minus all the toes the 'saders shot off their feet against the Hoyas, HC will hobble around, but ease on down the road by 38-10

Bison will prevail over Morris the Cat., 21-17

Lafayette, despite first game miscues, will still get their Rocks off Georgetown, 20-10

Colgate engages a Sequencing Batch Unit? Something smells in Hamilton, but to 'Eachus own'. SBU, 34-24.

Mountain Hawks cannot lay an egg two weeks in a row. Not within gestation period, so they 'engineer' a mighty showing, but still fall short despite Prince Valiant's improvement. Wildcats, 31-17.

After last week's embarrasing opener, Rams go 'ewe' and take a breather.

"...and that's the call.";)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM
So-so start this week at 3-2.

Bucknell 31 RMU 28: Neither team is outstanding but i have to believe the Bison have just enough to get by in this one.

Lafayette 21 Georgetown 16: I expect the Leopards to have some struggles next week like everyone experienced but Colgate. The Hoyas defense must be pretty solid.

Colgate 34 SBU 21: Colgate knows how to get it done. I have confidence that the Raiders will hold serve against against the NEC.

Villanova 38 Lehigh 10: Yes i do believe there is a bigger mistmatch in the country. I thought before Saturday that an improved Lehigh could at least hang with 'Nova. After Saturday the best they can hope for is not getting completely embarrassed. I still believe that Lehigh's defense is pretty good. They'll fight enough to keep it from getting out of hand.

Redwyn
September 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM
You mean for last week's game or for last year against Colgate? You killed us last year 42-26.

Nope, the Hofstra game. With 2 and change left they called DPI on a player that was nearly a yard away when the defender missed the pass. Right in front of the away stand too....

Redwyn
September 6th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Colgate 34 SBU 21: Colgate knows how to get it done. I have confidence that the Raiders will hold serve against against the NEC.

NEC? We're a full scholly Big South team picked by many to win the conference....Might not mean much to CAA or SoCon..but for most others its a pretty big red flag on the schedule....

RichH2
September 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Speking of Gate-SBU, any word on Eachus? Hope he will be fit.

Seawolf97
September 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
So-so start this week at 3-2.

Bucknell 31 RMU 28: Neither team is outstanding but i have to believe the Bison have just enough to get by in this one.

Lafayette 21 Georgetown 16: I expect the Leopards to have some struggles next week like everyone experienced but Colgate. The Hoyas defense must be pretty solid.

Villanova 38 Lehigh 10: Yes i do believe there is a bigger mistmatch in the country. I thought before Saturday that an improved Lehigh could at least hang with 'Nova. After Saturday the best they can hope for is not getting completely embarrassed. I still believe that Lehigh's defense is pretty good. They'll fight enough to keep it from getting out of hand.

Maybe you meant the SB team of 2006? We are full scholarship Big South and
picked as top tier team in the conference this year. Colgate will have a handfull
SBU by 10.

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2009, 11:45 AM
September 12, 2009:

Robert Morris @ BUCKNELL

LAFAYETTE @ GEORGETOWN

Stony Brook @ COLGATE

LEHIGH @ Villanova

FORDHAM vs. Bye

LC 18, G'town 7
HC 35, SH 24
BU 21, RMU 20
CU 28, SBU 17
Nova 48, LU 10

bison137
September 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Robert Morris @ BUCKNELL
Bucknell I’m losing patience with the “improved” Buffalos who blew a chance to throw a “W” on the chart against an unimpressive Duquesne team.

At this point, I'm not sure BU is "improved". Without All-American candidate Pasternak and an All-PL level LB Nana-Sinkham, they are likely no better than last year. Particularly with Trigg still not 100% from his ACL surgery last November. Last year Pasternak caught 7 passes for 166 yards and a TD vs Duquesne. It's likely he would have done at least as well had he been able to play.

We'll have to wait to see how Duquesne is, but they do have a passing combo of two former Michigan State players - one of whom was the Big 33 MVP a few years ago. That's the effect of scholarships.

Uncle Buck
September 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Nope, the Hofstra game. With 2 and change left they called DPI on a player that was nearly a yard away when the defender missed the pass. Right in front of the away stand too....

I think the call could have gone either way. It looked like the contact was well timed, but i think what could have been the issue was that the receiver had to stop for an under thrown pass and the defender never made a play on the ball, he just dove at the reciever. If they didn't throw a flag, i wouldn't have complained.

TheValleyRaider
September 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Much like the PL itself, a disappointing opening week, as I went 2-3 to start 2009

Sacred Heart at Holy Cross Holy Cross Crusaders left some points on the board against Georgetown. We'll see if they were just saving them for the Pioneers

Robert Morris at Bucknell Bucknell Disappointing loss for the Bison, but they do get to go home for their in-state showdown with the Colonials. I think Bucknell rebounds here

Lafayette at Georgetown Lafayette Saturday's score was easily the most surprising in the PL, but what does it really mean? Hoya fans still seem less than impressed, and now the home team has a game under its belt before facing the Leopards. Unimpressed though I am with the Pards in preseason, I'll believe they lose to the Hoyas when I see it

Stony Brook at Colgate Colgate Surprisingly good showing by the Raiders on Opening Night. Still feels weird to see Andy Kerr under the lights. We'll see if the Raiders can keep the good times going by getting some revenge against Long Island's SUNY. The health of Nate Eachus could play a big role in this one

Lehigh at Villanova Villanova I'll say this at the start: I don't believe Lehigh is as bad as they appear to have shown on Saturday. Does that mean I still believe they're a legit PL title threat? That I'm not sure about anymore. What am I sure about? They'll be better against Villanova, but still not have enough against the Top 5 Wildcats

Digby
September 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Nova 52 Lehigh 7. Someday Lehigh will learn to get 11 guys on the field consistently. Whether they will be able to play is another issue.
Holy Cross 52 Sacred Heart 7. The ``who cares'' game of the week.
Robert Morris 17 Bucknell 13. The second ``who cares'' game of the week.
Lafayette 37 Georgetown 10. LC has about six good running backs. Georgetown is going all downhill from here on out.
Stony Book versus Colgate. Maybe the most interesting game of the week. Colgate is hurt and need three and a half quarters to put Monmouth away. SBU has speed.
SBU 31 Colgate 23

crusader11
September 7th, 2009, 01:10 PM
3-2 last week.

Villanova
Holy Cross
Bucknell
Lafayette
Colgate

DFW HOYA
September 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Lafayette 37 Georgetown 10. LC has about six good running backs. Georgetown is going all downhill from here on out.

So much for optimism! xlolx

Digby
September 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I would love to see the Hoyas step up and I am sure they will soon, if not this season soon. I remember back when GU was D2 or D3. I believe NCAA regulations about having D1 basketball and 1A or 1AA football forced the move up?

LEHIGH61
September 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM
TAKE THAT curley

letsgopards04
September 8th, 2009, 07:15 AM
HC
BU
COL
LC
Bye
Nova

Fordham
September 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
'Nova
HC
Laffy
SB
Bison

FWIW, our D appears to be absolutely atrocious and we have no ability to stop an option QB. That could explain why we've had so much difficulty with G-town (close games pretty much every year) and Bucknell (losses every year) and nothing seems to have changed.

Could really be a long year up in the Bronx if our D is as it appears to be.

Pard94
September 8th, 2009, 12:21 PM
September 12, 2009:

Robert Morris @ BUCKNELL

LAFAYETTE @ GEORGETOWN

Stony Brook @ COLGATE

LEHIGH @ Villanova

FORDHAM vs. Bye

HC wins 28-10

Bucknell wins 14-7

Lafayette wins 28-10 (lot of negative vibes coming out of Carney this season but then again Carney is only able to generate negative vibes).

Colgate wins 21-17

Villanova wins 48-3. Nova's 2nd string plays most of the 4th quarter

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Maybe you meant the SB team of 2006? We are full scholarship Big South and
picked as top tier team in the conference this year. Colgate will have a handfull
SBU by 10.

My bad, i knew that but it's been NEC all the time lately it seems. Even so i like Colgate in this one.

ColgateTD
September 9th, 2009, 07:40 PM
5-0 last week...:D

Holy Cross - too much for SH
Bucknell - Bisons down Bob Morris
Lafayette - Closer than some would believe
Colgate - A real cat fight - homer pick here
'Nova - Closer than one would think

Go...gate
September 9th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Holy Cross 45, Sacred Heart 20

Robert Morris 13, Bucknell 10

Lafayette 19, Georgetown 14

Stony Brook 24, Colgate 23 :(

Villanova 27, Lehigh 14

Fordham 2, Bye 0

Seawolf97
September 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
If Eachus is healthy and we get our running game on track this could be a wild night.

danefan
September 9th, 2009, 08:30 PM
If Eachus is healthy and we get our running game on track this could be a wild night.

Eachus is out for at least 3 weeks with a broken rib.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63307

carney2
September 9th, 2009, 09:00 PM
lot of negative vibes coming out of Carney this season

Sad but true.

RichH2
September 9th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Come on Carney next year will take care of itself.You Pards look to have a decent season. We need our neighborhood curmudgeon in his usual form for the seasonxthumbsupx

Seawolf97
September 9th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Eachus is out for at least 3 weeks with a broken rib.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63307

I hate to hear this. This is always the down side of sports when a team losses a key player.

carney2
September 10th, 2009, 07:44 AM
You Pards look to have a decent season.

True. The OOC portion of the schedule is the toughest in the PL, so the record going into PL play may not be as sparkling as some, but The Leopards have no more (or fewer) holes than any of the other contenders and are a legitimate threat to grab 2009's brass ring.

Ken_Z
September 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM
The OOC portion of the schedule is the toughest in the PL, so the record going into PL play may not be as sparkling as some

right now one ooc win could be a sparkling performance. okay, now i am being overly negative, Bucknell should hit two ooc wins and another couple of teams could do so.

carney2
September 10th, 2009, 10:29 AM
right now one ooc win could be a sparkling performance. okay, now i am being overly negative, Bucknell should hit two ooc wins and another couple of teams could do so.

No disrespect intended (even though it's YOU), but Bucknell's 1st 4 games is the Parade of the Cupcakes (Duquesne, Robert Morris, Cornell, Marist). Before the Duquesne debacle I had the Buffalos penciled in to win 3 of these. Now, alas, having botched a real opportunity, you are undoubtedly correct and 2 OOCs is the limit. (The 5th OOC is @ Penn. No chance there.)

carney2
September 10th, 2009, 11:10 AM
The inane (what else is new?!) back and forth between KenZ and I poses an interesting question about the Patriot League OOC schedule and how the League will do. My commentary - and I hope you will chime in:

BUCKNELL (Duquesne, Robert Morris, Cornell, Marist, Penn)
Best: 2-3, Worst: 0-5

COLGATE (Monmouth, Stony Brook, Dartmouth, Cornell, Princeton)
Best: 5-0, Worst: 3-2

FORDHAM (Rhode Island, Columbia, Old Dominion, Bryant, Cornell)
Best: 3-2, Worst: 1-4

GEORGETOWN Yale, Howard, Old Dominion, Marist, Richmond)

HOLY CROSS (Sacred Heat, Harvard, Northeastern, Brown, Dartmouth)
Best: 4-1, Worst: 3-2

LAFAYETTE (Liberty, Penn, Yale, Columbia, Harvard)
Best: 3-2, Worst: 0-5

LEHIGH (Central Connecticut, Villanova, Princeton, Harvard, Yale)

Have at it.

carney2
September 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
The official line:

HOLY CROSS 29 over Sacred Heart

BUCKNELL 5 over Robert Morris

LAFAYETTE 17 over GEORGETOWN

COLGATE 8 1/2 over Stony Brook

Villanova 23 over LEHIGH

turbodean
September 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Carney, which of the 4 remaining OOC's do you feel is not winable by Fordham?

FORDHAM (Rhode Island, Columbia, Old Dominion, Bryant, Cornell)
Best: 3-2, Worst: 1-4

HoyaMetanoia
September 10th, 2009, 12:04 PM
The inane (what else is new?!) back and forth between KenZ and I poses an interesting question about the Patriot League OOC schedule and how the League will do. My commentary - and I hope you will chime in:

GEORGETOWN Yale, Howard, Old Dominion, Marist, Richmond)

Have at it.

Georgetown could easily win 3 of those games. While I doubt the Hoyas win all 3, each one of Howard, Marist and ODU is winnable. I think ODU might be a cakewalk.

ngineer
September 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Lehigh can win all three Ivy games, but we'll likely stub a toe against one of them. However, I 'd call our "best" to be 3-2.

ISUMatt
September 10th, 2009, 12:15 PM
go Lehigh!!!

carney2
September 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Carney, which of the 4 remaining OOC's do you feel is not winable by Fordham?

This is not your father's Columbia. Some (TSN) are picking them in the top half of the Ivy. You mix that in with the fact that the Rams did not bring the word "resurgence" to mind against URI, and...

jimbo65
September 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Holy Cross
Bucknell
Colgate
Nova

ngineer
September 10th, 2009, 12:29 PM
At least by playing at Villanova on Saturday night, there will be some priests on the sideline.:o

carney2
September 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Lehigh can win all three Ivy games, but we'll likely stub a toe against one of them. However, I 'd call our "best" to be 3-2.

And your "3" included a "W" vs CCSU - right? And. yes, the ChickenHeads "can win all three Ivy games." They also "can win" at Villanova, but... Take my word for it however, the Squawks ain't gonna beat Harvard. If there is any Ivy program that is consistently widening the gap between itself and the Patsies, it is Harvard.

RichH2
September 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Harvard a tough pick especially coming off CCSU and NOva but Harvard lacks a qb so anything is possible. Of course that presumes that LU picks up its intensity just a tad

carney2
September 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Harvard a tough pick especially coming off CCSU and NOva but Harvard lacks a qb so anything is possible. Of course that presumes that LU picks up its intensity just a tad

And I'm betting that Murphy has something on that roster that is better than anything in the Patriot League except Randolph and maybe Skelton. Harvard should flat out be testing itself against some of the bigger kids of FCS.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2009, 03:16 PM

I still can't believe we're at this point. How can this team have gotten this bad since last year? Lehigh played 'Nova pretty good last year. The game was closer than the 33-14 final score. Villanova's offense only score 2 TD's and racked up 371 total yards. Granted their offense is better because of Whitney but so should Lehigh's, but it isn't. Why is that? Most people are picking scores that are basically saying Villanova is playing one of the worst teams in FCS. There can't be that many teams that would garner the concensus of a major blowout. If Lehigh has really regressed this badly since last year something has to be done. A 49-14 score would only send them closer to the dregs of FCS.

carney2
September 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM
How can this team have gotten this bad since last year?

I understand your question and I understand that 99.99% of the Squawks are with you on this. There are many of us who have asked the opposite question however:

How can this team have gotten this good since last year?

On the Lafayette board there is an entire thread dedicated to "What have they done to deserve these accolades?" Really, it is hard to see how 9-2 or even 8-3 predictions, with a PL championship and playoff bid thrown in for good measure, was justified by what came out of 2008.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I understand your question and I understand that 99.99% of the Squawks are with you on this. There are many of us who have asked the opposite question however:

How can this team have gotten this good since last year?

On the Lafayette board there is an entire thread dedicated to "What have they done to deserve these accolades?" Really, it is hard to see how 9-2 or even 8-3 predictions, with a PL championship and playoff bid thrown in for good measure, was justified by what came out of 2008.

I think it's because of the games they lost. They lost by 3 to Princeton on a last second FG, by 1 to Cornell on the final play, Harvard they were inside the 10 with a minute left and Clark fumbled and finally they blew a lead and couldn't make xtra points against Colgate and lost by 1. They really lost a number of heart breakers last year. I think you would be hard pressed to find a team that lost so many games like that that, Temple perhaps, lol. With just a little improvement those are the games you win. However, that has not happened.

All five wins last year were by double digits as well which is interesting.

I think when you put it all together there was good reason to be optimistic.

RichH2
September 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Nor is LC sliding into oblivion as fast as you feel, Carney, but there is nothing worse than disappointed expectations. Just ask any wifexnonox

Go...gate
September 10th, 2009, 04:41 PM
There is a lot to the adage that the biggest improvement any team makes is between weeks 1 and 2, so 6/7 of the league has to keep this in mind.

For Lafayette, there remains the unpredictability of a season opener.

At any rate, best of luck to all league members.

carney2
September 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I think it's because of the games they lost. They lost by 3 to Princeton on a last second FG, by 1 to Cornell on the final play, Harvard they were inside the 10 with a minute left and Clark fumbled and finally they blew a lead and couldn't make xtra points against Colgate and lost by 1. They really lost a number of heart breakers last year. I think you would be hard pressed to find a team that lost so many games like that that, Temple perhaps, lol. With just a little improvement those are the games you win. However, that has not happened.

All five wins last year were by double digits as well which is interesting.

I think when you put it all together there was good reason to be optimistic.

Amazing! Squawk fans get all hyped because of games they lost. A few miles down the road we're not quite as excited as you and I guess a factor is the 3 of 4 we lost at the end of last season and the way we lost them. Is this a "glass half empty, glass half full" kind of thing? Anyway, same results; 180 degree different viewpoint. Interesting.

ngineer
September 10th, 2009, 10:19 PM
With the experience that was returning and the expectations of some highly thought of recruits now getting ready for PT, the idea of being able to reverse the close losses of 2008 are justified. It is few days too soon for everyone to be hyperventilating over whether Lehigh has fallen apart. For people to be acting this way on the basis of one bad game is ridiculous. IF Lehigh comes out on Saturday and gets blown out of the water, then I agree it will be time for some major reassessment. However, if the kids come out and fight like hell and give a good account of themselves, then there will still be cause for optimism for the balance of the year.

RichH2
September 11th, 2009, 07:14 AM
LU65 pointed out the week prior to the 28-26 Nova game , we had an atrocious game with Albany yet bounced back the next week. Lets hope Andy can repeat that featxthumbsupx

carney2
September 11th, 2009, 07:33 AM
It is few days too soon for everyone to be hyperventilating over whether Lehigh has fallen apart. For people to be acting this way on the basis of one bad game is ridiculous. IF Lehigh comes out on Saturday and gets blown out of the water, then I agree it will be time for some major reassessment.

Agreed and not agreed.

Lehigh will be fine.

and

They will, in all likelihood, get blown out this weekend. No big deal. It's not the make or break thing that you seem to see.

They are just not now, and never were, that 9-2 juggernaut that was being trumpeted. They were however, and still are, a legitimate contender in the Patriot League.

jdb037
September 11th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Sacred Heart at Holy Cross

Robert Morris at Bucknell Last week hurt not having Pasternak, but RMU isn't as good as Duquesne.

Lafayette at Georgetown

Stony Brook at Colgate Running game gonna be slowed down by the Seawolves

Lehigh at Villanova Coming off a win against Temple, this would be a HUGE letdown for 'Nova. I'll be pulling for the Hawks but don't count on it.

CrusaderBob
September 11th, 2009, 04:01 PM
A mediocre start going 3 - 2 last week.

Not a lot of dissention among the selections this week except for Colgate & Stony Brook, pretty much split down the middle. So, who am I to argue with concensus on 4 games and pick one out of the hat in the 5th. Here goes ...

Holy Cross - First game jitters out of the way. Sacred Heart - attacked.
Bucknell - Buffalos squeeze past Bobby Mo
Lafayette - G'town D was good last week. Lafayette D will be better with just enough 'Pard-O to tell them what they've won.
Stony Brook - No Eachus. Not enough left to win.
Villanova - At least look prepared this week Lehigh. Please.

ColgateTD
September 11th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Carney - on the OOC question: Colgate's worst could be 2-3, not 3-2.....xbawlingx

carney2
September 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Carney - on the OOC question: Colgate's worst could be 2-3, not 3-2.....xbawlingx

If Biddle loses to any of the Ivy Candy A$$ 3 on this schedule someone should play kick the can with his private parts.

Go...gate
September 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM
If Biddle loses to any of the Ivy Candy A$$ 3 on this schedule someone should play kick the can with his private parts.

Disagree. All three will be tough games. Dartmouth is hungry to beat us, Cornell is a rivalry game, and Princeton and Colgate have a very competitive game in most years.

carney2
September 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Disagree. All three will be tough games. Dartmouth is hungry to beat us, Cornell is a rivalry game, and Princeton and Colgate have a very competitive game in most years.

Dartmouth may be hungry, but they are currently a toilet.

Cornell may be a rivalry, but they are trying to leap in the hole with Dartmouth.

Princeton is iffy, but has a preseason look that puts them in the Ivy second division.

I'd feel much better about my Leopards if any of these three were on the schedule in place of any of the 4 Ivys that we have - and that includes Columbia.

CrusaderBob
September 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM
And since we're quizzing carney ...

HOLY CROSS (Sacred Heat, Harvard, Northeastern, Brown, Dartmouth)
Best: 4-1, Worst: 3-2

While I agree that it is quite possible for HC to go 4-1 against those opponents, going undefeated against that schedule is possible as well. So who is the certain loss coming from, if that's the best HC can expect?

carney2
September 11th, 2009, 07:39 PM
And since we're quizzing carney ...

While I agree that it is quite possible for HC to go 4-1 against those opponents, going undefeated against that schedule is possible as well. So who is the certain loss coming from, if that's the best HC can expect?

Harvard is the toughest nut to crack in that group. Sorry, Randolph gives the 'saders a chance at an incredible season, but undefeated? I'm not leaning that way. I've got them penciled in at 9-2 with the Johns being one of the two.

Engineer91
September 11th, 2009, 07:50 PM
HOLY CROSS - wins big
BUCKNELL - in a close one
LAFAYETTE - wins comfortably
COLGATE - Gate manages to win
Villanova in a heart stopper ... no not the game the 2 pregame cheesesteaks
Bye

TheValleyRaider
September 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM

Dartmouth would need a spate of Colgate injuries, about 8 turnovers, or be vastly improved (and I mean Grand-Canyon vast) to win this game

I'm with you on the Princeton game, certainly, and while I wouldn't make guarantees against Cornell, they're closer to Dartmouth range than Princeton range. Beat Stony Brook, and we should be looking at 5-0 OOC xtwocentsx

ngineer
September 11th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Forecast in these parts not good for Saturday. Hopefully most of the rain is gone by the evening, when Lehigh's game kicks off at 7 p.m. Query, is rain the 'great equalizer' even on artificial surface? I don't think it is. With a mud game, so many things can happen with the footing and the ball all slopped up. Turf takes away alot of the 'conditions' the elements create.

TheValleyRaider
September 11th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Forecast in these parts not good for Saturday. Hopefully most of the rain is gone by the evening, when Lehigh's game kicks off at 7 p.m. Query, is rain the 'great equalizer' even on artificial surface? I don't think it is. With a mud game, so many things can happen with the footing and the ball all slopped up. Turf takes away alot of the 'conditions' the elements create.

But the turf doesn't make it easier to see, nor does it make the ball any less slippery. I can see how there's a huge difference regarding the actual field conditions (mud vs. same old turf), but precipitation affects more than just the playing surface. At least, that's this non-player's perspective :)

ngineer
September 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM
But the turf doesn't make it easier to see, nor does it make the ball any less slippery. I can see how there's a huge difference regarding the actual field conditions (mud vs. same old turf), but precipitation affects more than just the playing surface. At least, that's this non-player's perspective :)

Au contraire...When footballs get muddy, you can wipe them all you want, there's a level of slime that is there moreso than just water. While the refs try and keep the balls dry, in a real good rain, it doesn't help all that much other than trying to keep them from being waterlogged.

carney2
September 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Forecast in these parts not good for Saturday. Hopefully most of the rain is gone by the evening, when Lehigh's game kicks off at 7 p.m.

Latest forecast has Rain and/or Chance of Rain continuing through the entire game.

CrusaderBob
September 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Harvard is the toughest nut to crack in that group. Sorry, Randolph gives the 'saders a chance at an incredible season, but undefeated? I'm not leaning that way. I've got them penciled in at 9-2 with the Johns being one of the two.

Well then I guess I misunderstand the premise of your original post.

Is Harvard a tough nut? Sure. But does it really take a huge stretch of the imagination to see HC going undefeated? I don't think so. It's not like Lehigh this weekend with 'Nova where even the most optimistic LU fans are not predicting a Lehigh win.

I'm pretty confident when you post the Week 3 prediction thread you'll see a pretty even split between the Crimson and the Crusaders - even if you take out the HC homer picks.

If Randolph gives HC a chance at an incredible season, doesn't that make the most optimistic - yet somewhat realistic - view 5 - 0?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Here's my picks for today. Last week I was 3-2, picking the wrong team to beat a team out of the NEC.

These are compiled partially from my blog:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/09/game-preview-lehigh-at-villanova.html

And CSN:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/09/10/the-csn-way-what-s-in-a-name?blog=5

Lehigh at Villanova: I've seen quite a few Lehigh games in my time, but I haven't seen a challenge like this for the Mountain Hawks in years. Villanova is the real deal: powerful in the trench, speedy with the skill players, and play an offense and defense that is difficult to crack.

I think Lehigh will improve over last week's game, but it won't nearly be enough. They'll fight hard - maybe even impressing some of Nova Nation along the way with some guts and determination - but asking Lehigh to beat the No. 3 team in the nation is too tall an order. Villanova wins handily, and the Mountain Hawks go into the bye week 0-2.

Villanova 40, Lehigh 10

Sacred Heart at No. 25 Holy Cross: Last week, quarterback Dominic Randolph and Holy Cross was expected to rack up big numbers in a defeat over Georgetown to start the year. Randolph did get the big numbers - he passed for 414 yards and 2 touchdowns - but Holy Cross trailed going into the final quarter 7-6, and the Crusaders looked a lot more like a work-in-progress.

Losers 31-12 in the first weekend to Marist, Sacred Heart quarterback Dale Fink had two interceptions both returned for touchdowns. But Fink, one of the best quarterbacks in the NEC, will be eager to shoot it out with Randolph on Saturday.

Scoreboard watchers better be careful. This one will probably be a track meet. Holy Cross will have the edge - and the home advantage - to win this shootout.

Purple Defense Eaters 56, Sacred Passing Touchdowns 49

Stony Brook at Colgate. In last year’s opener, Colgate was crushed by the Seawolves 42-26 and have been eagerly waiting a year for the rematch. But with super sophomore running back Nate Eachus out, it’s hard to see Colgate hanging with running backs Ed Gowins, and Conte Cuttino of Stony Brook. After a frustrating 17-10 loss to Hofstra where the Seawolves only gained 46 rushing yards on 26 carries, Stony Brook will return to form this weekend.

Fictional Sea Creatures 35, No Eachus - Or Van Eeghan, Either 14

BONUS PICKS:

Lafayette at Georgetown. After crushing Bye last weekend, the Leopards head on the road to face Georgetown who had a moral victory of sorts in only losing 20-7 to Holy Cross. Hope everyone likes defense: Lafayette has probably the best in the Patriot League, and Georgetown's isn't half bad, either.

I think Georgetown will surprise folks again by keeping this closer than folks might like. But in the end, it will be another "moral loss", an 0-2 start (in conference no less), and there will be no surprise in DC.

Laugh-a-Leopards 15, Hum-a-Hoyas 9

Robert Morris at Bucknell: Playing a hunch here, Bucknell will fare better against the Colonials than they did on the road against Duquesne. Even without Pasternak, Joe Walton's squad has problems scoring against anyone, and with what could be the Bison's best crowd of the year they will be fired up to make up for last weekend's loss. The Bison take it, and help the PL get some respect against the NEC.

Landis Must Stay 28, "Joe Must Not Go, But 0-2 Still Stinks Anyway" 13

Go...gate
September 12th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Here's my picks for today. Last week I was 3-2, picking the wrong team to beat a team out of the NEC.

These are compiled partially from my blog:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/09/game-preview-lehigh-at-villanova.html

And CSN:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/09/10/the-csn-way-what-s-in-a-name?blog=5

Lehigh at Villanova: I've seen quite a few Lehigh games in my time, but I haven't seen a challenge like this for the Mountain Hawks in years. Villanova is the real deal: powerful in the trench, speedy with the skill players, and play an offense and defense that is difficult to crack.

I think Lehigh will improve over last week's game, but it won't nearly be enough. They'll fight hard - maybe even impressing some of Nova Nation along the way with some guts and determination - but asking Lehigh to beat the No. 3 team in the nation is too tall an order. Villanova wins handily, and the Mountain Hawks go into the bye week 0-2.

Villanova 40, Lehigh 10

Sacred Heart at No. 25 Holy Cross: Last week, quarterback Dominic Randolph and Holy Cross was expected to rack up big numbers in a defeat over Georgetown to start the year. Randolph did get the big numbers - he passed for 414 yards and 2 touchdowns - but Holy Cross trailed going into the final quarter 7-6, and the Crusaders looked a lot more like a work-in-progress.

Losers 31-12 in the first weekend to Marist, Sacred Heart quarterback Dale Fink had two interceptions both returned for touchdowns. But Fink, one of the best quarterbacks in the NEC, will be eager to shoot it out with Randolph on Saturday.

Scoreboard watchers better be careful. This one will probably be a track meet. Holy Cross will have the edge - and the home advantage - to win this shootout.

Purple Defense Eaters 56, Sacred Passing Touchdowns 49

Stony Brook at Colgate. In last year’s opener, Colgate was crushed by the Seawolves 42-26 and have been eagerly waiting a year for the rematch. But with super sophomore running back Nate Eachus out, it’s hard to see Colgate hanging with running backs Ed Gowins, and Conte Cuttino of Stony Brook. After a frustrating 17-10 loss to Hofstra where the Seawolves only gained 46 rushing yards on 26 carries, Stony Brook will return to form this weekend.

Fictional Sea Creatures 35, No Eachus - Or Van Eeghen, Either 14

BONUS PICKS:

Lafayette at Georgetown. After crushing Bye last weekend, the Leopards head on the road to face Georgetown who had a moral victory of sorts in only losing 20-7 to Holy Cross. Hope everyone likes defense: Lafayette has probably the best in the Patriot League, and Georgetown's isn't half bad, either.

I think Georgetown will surprise folks again by keeping this closer than folks might like. But in the end, it will be another "moral loss", an 0-2 start (in conference no less), and there will be no surprise in DC.

Laugh-a-Leopards 15, Hum-a-Hoyas 9

Robert Morris at Bucknell: Playing a hunch here, Bucknell will fare better against the Colonials than they did on the road against Duquesne. Even without Pasternak, Joe Walton's squad has problems scoring against anyone, and with what could be the Bison's best crowd of the year they will be fired up to make up for last weekend's loss. The Bison take it, and help the PL get some respect against the NEC.

Landis Must Stay 28, "Joe Must Not Go, But 0-2 Still Stinks Anyway" 13

Had a great photo of Van Eeghen but it won't upload - Damn!! xlolx

carney2
September 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Well then I guess I misunderstand the premise of your original post.

Is Harvard a tough nut? Sure. But does it really take a huge stretch of the imagination to see HC going undefeated? I don't think so. It's not like Lehigh this weekend with 'Nova where even the most optimistic LU fans are not predicting a Lehigh win.

I'm pretty confident when you post the Week 3 prediction thread you'll see a pretty even split between the Crimson and the Crusaders - even if you take out the HC homer picks.

If Randolph gives HC a chance at an incredible season, doesn't that make the most optimistic - yet somewhat realistic - view 5 - 0?

Here's the deal. I'm not saying cannot win, I'm saying, in my opinion, will not win. Cannot win is not a realistic statement. Even tonight at Villanova - the supposedly most lopsided game on this week's PL schedule - Lehigh could win. After all, that's why they play the games.

CrusaderBob
September 12th, 2009, 03:28 PM
As I said, then I misunderstood the premise of your original post.