PDA

View Full Version : What happened to McNeese

HensRock
September 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
trailed all game and had to have a huge rally at the end to edge out Henderson State.
Is Henderson St. that good?

McNeese75
September 5th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Henderson State has plenty of athletes but I would not say they are that good. In fact, their starting QB was suspended this week so its was the backup QB that led their offense to 391 total yards.

Bottom line is McNeese was lucky to win tonight and it could get ugly in Boone next week unless the D gets some of their walking wounded back. xcoolx

da_Bison
September 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
First game jitters & most likely looking past Henderson State, no biggy. If this were week 4 I'd say ruh roh, but my money is on McNeese being tough as usual

crossfire07
September 6th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Isn't the first time I have seen them not be up for a game they should have handled very easily but after the fire got lit late in the 3rd qtr, both sides of the ball stepped up.

KiddBrewer
September 6th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I think mcneese will be fine (after week two,ofcourse)

FormerPokeCenter
September 6th, 2009, 02:41 AM
What happened to McNeese? The list is long, but here's what I saw:

We didn't play with much intensity on defense. The only guy who looked like he wanted to be out there was a true freshman starting at linebacker. He was really the only animated guy on the field...

We got manhandled up front by their offensive line. Yes, they were big, but c'mon.

We committed virtually every type of stupid penalty in the book, except that we didn't get the needless Unsportsmanlike Conduct flags that we normally get. That's an improvement, I think, but the rest of the mental lapses aren't good.

We weren't able to tackle anybody last year and we apparently didn't learn how during the spring or in August camp.

On offense, our inexperience on the line revealed itself in pretty glaring fashion tonight...

Our QB wasn't on and nobody really stepped up to pick up the slack. We had all conference players with pretty significant mental lapses. I'm not sure I saw much senior leadership in any phase of the game tonight.

Pollsters, please take us out of the top 25. App State, you guys can sit Armanti for this one, too....

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Hasn't McNeese struggled in the past against Div II teams in their first game of the season? I'm not putting too much value into it just yet. We have seen several SLC teams in the past look very weak against Div II and turn it around...

Sounds like the McPoke fans are bit upset, but perhaps we'll see a different effort against AppSt. I just want you guys to beat the Green Wave!

Prominentwon
September 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM
It's time to start looking at McNeese's Def. Coor.

I know the guys that post about McNeese don't want to hear that because I'm sure they know Lark personally, but in the end, you're supposed to have someone there that at least shows some sort of improvement. Hebert has shown none.

The McNeese defenses through the last 3-4 years have changed NONE. It's the same thing every year. Giving up chunks and chunks of yardage and points. The spread has caught up with schemes that were created to stop something else. McNeese has not shown they can adjust defensively to these type of offenses accordingly.

I'm not saying get rid of the guy right now, but it's hard not to complain about the defense and the coaching on that side of the ball.

DX Man
September 6th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I'm sure McNeese will bring their "A" game next week!

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2009, 10:56 AM
This game baffled me as I tracked it. I didn't even know who won until now. Glad you pulled it out. We'll see what's really going on next Saturday.

JohnStOnge
September 6th, 2009, 02:09 PM
trailed all game and had to have a huge rally at the end to edge out Henderson State.
Is Henderson St. that good?

I'm going to hope McNeese improves but it could be a long year. In my opinion Henderson State is an average D-II team at best. As a program Henderson State has never been to the D-II playoffs. They lost their opening game by 54-38 to Southeastern Oklahoma and it wasn't really that close. Southeastern Oklahoma is another D-II program that hasn't been historically strong, and it lost 34-9 to Midwestern State yesterday.

Henderson State dominated both lines of scrimmage for most of the game against McNeese. Things got better from about halfway through the third quarter on but McNeese, in my opinion, was never able to really control the line of scrimmage. They could not, for instance, get a really consistent running game going. They won because QB Derrick Fourroux and RB Toderick Pendland made some plays when they were really needed.

McNeese had a really strong offensive line last year but they lost just about everybody who started on it. Right now their offensive line is young and inexperienced. They only have like three starters back on defense. I was hoping that wouldn't mean too much because the defense wasn't real strong last year. And there may still be hope because, as I understand it, they held a lot of people on that side of the ball out last night due to injuries. Hopefully a lot of those people will come back soon and hopefully it'll make a significant difference.

buckp
September 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I'm going to hope McNeese improves but it could be a long year....

Could be very true. xsmhx

JohnStOnge
September 6th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Got an e mail from my brother in which he said that a family acquaintence who works in the McNeese athletic department told his wife that McNeese had 8 defensive starters out with illness or injury. If that's true there is at least some hope of them being notably better on that side of the ball if and when they are able to get all or most of those players on the field.

AppStsGr8
September 6th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Doesn't sound like a pretty win, but it was a win nonetheless. Can't wait to host McNeese next week in Boone. I'm sure it will be a great game!

JohnStOnge
September 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Doesn't sound like a pretty win, but it was a win nonetheless. Can't wait to host McNeese next week in Boone. I'm sure it will be a great game!

Well, to you 50 - 0 App State would be a great game! Me, I knew that there were some big questions about McNeese's team; particular on both lines of scrimmage where a bunch of starters were lost from last season. But what happened last night with Henderson State caught me totally off guard and was a real splash of cold water in the face. I'll watch the game on TV and hope for the best, but right now I'm thinking the most likely outcome is a huge App State blowout. Hopefully McNeese will get most or all of the players who sat last night's game out back on the field and that'll be a factor in rendering my expectation overly pessimistic; but right now that's my expectation.

McNeese75
September 6th, 2009, 05:20 PM

I know the guys that post about McNeese don't want to hear that because I'm sure they know Lark personally, but in the end, you're supposed to have someone there that at least shows some sort of improvement. Hebert has shown none.

The McNeese defenses through the last 3-4 years have changed NONE. It's the same thing every year. Giving up chunks and chunks of yardage and points. The spread has caught up with schemes that were created to stop something else. McNeese has not shown they can adjust defensively to these type of offenses accordingly.

I'm not saying get rid of the guy right now, but it's hard not to complain about the defense and the coaching on that side of the ball.

xrolleyesx Is this really the forum to debate your opinion on the DC? You already expressed it on GC so why here? xnonox

proasu89
September 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM
xrolleyesx Is this really the forum to debate your opinion on the DC? You already expressed it on GC so why here? xnonox

Don't want to get in the middle of pi$$in contest but....the OP asked what was wrong and Prominent shared his opinion. xpeacex

LacesOut
September 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Nothing personal, so please don't take it that way, but McNeese, Georgia Southern, and Youngstown State are the names I used to associate with top I-AA programs.

So what has happened to all of them??? I only ask because I truly don't know. NO sarcasm or smack intended. (that was probably a stupid question that could use it's own thread, my apologies).

DG Cowboy
September 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM
When Lamar dropped football, both McNeese and the Cards were pretty bad. Butting recruiting heads again with Lamar in the Golden Triangle isn't going to be good for either program. McNeese prepared for last week's Henderson when HSU ran 16 times against SE OKLA. McNeese had 5 offensive plays in the first quarter. There are 15 California Jucos and a bunch from Texas and Mississippi also on the Henderson roster. I think Henderson will be OK this year when they gel. Last night was a good start. The Pokes better have a strong Game 1 to Game 2 improvement curve for App. I still love 'em whatever happens this year.

McNeeseState311
September 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM

I am so glad I am not alone on this one. Prom you are right on track.. Since our E. Washington game a couple years back where we had no adjustment in the second half I had been thinking the same thing. Time for a change with no connection to the coach!

Prominentwon
September 7th, 2009, 03:45 PM

This is why it's so difficult to post on GC. Because some of you guys take these kind of opinions personally. I seldom post there because of this.

Is this the forum to do so? This is a forum, is it not? It looks like I'm not the only one that thinks the same about the DC. I did post it on GC and look what happened to that thread. No responses about the situation and it turned into a thread about Ben B's injury. I wish all the health in the world for the kid. But that's an issue there. None of you guys want to talk about anything like that.

That point is proven by the simple fact that your posts have to be "reviewed" before they are allowed on the board. This has been the case since last year when you guys didn't want the news to spread about Guidry taking a job at Miami (OH) and the Janzen Jackson to Tennessee deal.

Like it or not or whoever you know in the AD, it's time to start looking around for another DC. He hasn't done a thing since he's been at McNeese. After he took over for Viator at Sulphur, Sulphur started becoming stagnant just as McNeese's defense has been since he's taken over.

I'd take it over to GC, but it would just turn over to you guys getting personally offended for some reason and get banned. Zem is an excellent source of information though.

McNeese75
September 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
This is why it's so difficult to post on GC. Because some of you guys take these kind of opinions personally. I seldom post there because of this.

Is this the forum to do so? This is a forum, is it not? It looks like I'm not the only one that thinks the same about the DC. I did post it on GC and look what happened to that thread. No responses about the situation and it turned into a thread about Ben B's injury. I wish all the health in the world for the kid. But that's an issue there. None of you guys want to talk about anything like that.

That point is proven by the simple fact that your posts have to be "reviewed" before they are allowed on the board. This has been the case since last year when you guys didn't want the news to spread about Guidry taking a job at Miami (OH) and the Janzen Jackson to Tennessee deal.

Like it or not or whoever you know in the AD, it's time to start looking around for another DC. He hasn't done a thing since he's been at McNeese. After he took over for Viator at Sulphur, Sulphur started becoming stagnant just as McNeese's defense has been since he's taken over.

I'd take it over to GC, but it would just turn over to you guys getting personally offended for some reason and get banned. Zem is an excellent source of information though.

Ignore my previous post , I was shooting from the hip in frustration after Saturday night and actually probably agree with you on a lot of those issues but IMO a discussion for changing DC is not appropriate after the first game of the season (again, my opinion). If ship does not right itself by the end of the year, then give em hell but things will not change during the season. The players read these forums and we certainly don't need them questioning the coaching during the season.

Also, I am 75, not 72 and all I do is post on GC just like yourself. xnodx

JohnStOnge
September 7th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Does McNeese even have a Defensive Coordinator? My perception has been that they don't even really have one person designated as such and haven't since Scott Stoker took the head coaching job at Northwestern State.

My thing has been that they need to GET a defensive coordinator.

Prominentwon
September 7th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Fair enough. xbeerchugx

McNeese72
September 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
A lot of us aren't too crazy about what has been going on with the defense the last few years. We will talk about it behind the scenes but, as McNeese75 said, there is no use stirring the pot and possibly causing unrest on the team at the very start of a season.

Let's see how the defense does this season and after the season is over we can talk about it.

Doc

P.S. Usually only brand new posters are on the moderation filter. The only exceptions are the posters that have had run-in's with Cbuck. And it is his forum and he can do what he wants with it. I'm only a minor peon, he controls the moderation of the board.

andy7171
September 8th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Can you blame them for looking past a D.II(assuming) before playing App State? They rallied and got the win, that is all that counts.

MSU_77
September 8th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Can you blame them for looking past a D.II(assuming) before playing App State? They rallied and got the win, that is all that counts.

That is the way I see it. I don't care who the opponent is, when you rally from a 24-6 deficit in the middle of the 3rd quarter to win, that shows a lot of character.

Of course, that does not mean we should not be a heavy underdog to App. We should and we are. Looking forward to the game.

crossfire07
September 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Fans should be able to discuss certain things to a certain point without being hammered for it. It is not like one is revealing something that is not known already. If a coach at a certain position sucks and his record proves it then I don't think it is so taboo to talk about it. I think waiting year after to see if things get better is part of the insanity process. keep doing it and hoping it gets better on its on when the fact is, if nothing changes, nothing changes. If fans really want to make a difference tho, send an email or regular mail to those in charge. that is the best way to get a result.

Aho_Old_Guy
September 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM
That is the way I see it. I don't care who the opponent is, when you rally from a 24-6 deficit in the middle of the 3rd quarter to win, that shows a lot of character.

Of course, that does not mean we should not be a heavy underdog to App. We should and we are. Looking forward to the game.

I feel certain the Cowboys will bring their 'A' game to Boone.

Don't rough us up too bad in front of our fans or we will have to return the favor next year xsmiley_wix

grizzpaw
September 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM
McNeese is very well coached and has the players to win this game! and i'm sure they will not disappoint ASU xnodx!

McNeese72
September 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Fans should be able to discuss certain things to a certain point without being hammered for it. It is not like one is revealing something that is not known already. If a coach at a certain position sucks and his record proves it then I don't think it is so taboo to talk about it. I think waiting year after to see if things get better is part of the insanity process. keep doing it and hoping it gets better on its on when the fact is, if nothing changes, nothing changes. If fans really want to make a difference tho, send an email or regular mail to those in charge. that is the best way to get a result.

Well, some of us don't think it is wise to stir things up and take the chance to screw up the chemistry of the players on team with such discussion. It is better left to after the season is over.

Plus, do you honestly think fans discussing a coaching situation on a messageboard is going to change anything? If an assistant coach is going to be let go, it isn't going to be during the season (unless there is some gross misconduct involved). How many times have you seen college assistant coaches/ coordinators let go during a season?

A lot of the players and families read the messageboard and they don't need to read a bunch of ***** like that during the season. I don't even really ***** like that stirred up right after the season because that is when potential recruits and their families might me checking out the messageboard. It would best be left to after signing day.

Of course, the GC Delphi Forum is Chris B.'s messageboard. And he can do what he wants with it. There is no such thing as freedom of speech on a messageboard like that because it is Chris' board and he just allows people to get on it and post. What he says rules.

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
September 9th, 2009, 12:44 PM
The other thing is that from a recruiting standpoint, if the Defensive Coordinator is out there recruiting kids for us, is the University best served by message board fans screaming for his head after the first game? What decent recruit is gonna wanna voluntarily put himself in an unsure situation?

We're spoiled at McNeese and expect exemplary efforts every time out. I get that...

But, come on...in the HSU's first game, Charpentier threw like 45 times and they only ran the ball a few times...the kid who gashed us on the Wildcat didn't run the ball but once. We figured they'd run him more, but who could have predicted the Wildcat...the other thing they did effectively was line up in their traditionally strong side formations and run to the back side, which is away from where we stunded.

Don't forget that HSU had a guy on staff who was at McNeese LAST year, who knows what our stunting tendancy was. They prepared a great gameplan. Maxfield, the new HSU head coach, is a Stoker protege' and was at Northwestern for a number of years...

These guys know us and know us well...

They did a great job of preparing an almost flawless gameplan...

When it counted, we got the job done. It wasn't pretty, but it got done...

We'll see how good we are or aren't this week....