PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Football's Future

KiddBrewer
December 11th, 2005, 12:36 AM
After seeing today's game, with sophmore Trey Elder at the qb position for injured Richie Williams, i am tempted to say that Appalachian could very likely be in the same position this time next year (playing for a national championship). Basically the entire offense is coming back next year, and Trey proved he can win a big game. Although the defense is losing some valuable players, the back ups are pretty nasty as well. I think they could be the best team in the country next year. What are your thoughts?

Black and Gold Express
December 11th, 2005, 12:43 AM
I think we need to win one more game this year first. I'd like to be the #1 team in the nation after the 16th. Then I can think about 2006. :)

HiHiYikas
December 11th, 2005, 12:49 AM
After seeing today's game, with sophmore Trey Elder at the qb position for injured Richie Williams, i am tempted to say that Appalachian could very likely be in the same position this time next year (playing for a national championship). Basically the entire offense is coming back next year, and Trey proved he can win a big game. Although the defense is losing some valuable players, the back ups are pretty nasty as well. I think they could be the best team in the country next year. What are your thoughts?
Tempting, yes, and I like the way you're thinking.

But larger questions loom. With whom will I tailgate in Chattanooga? Should I make some kind of sign? What will I write on it? How much beer should I buy?

SoCon48
December 11th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Tempting, yes, and I like the way you're thinking.

But larger questions loom. With whom will I tailgate in Chattanooga? Should I make some kind of sign? What will I write on it? How much beer should I buy?

How much beer? Hey, Yikas, this is the long awaited championship game. Go for quality not quantity. I recommend Heinekin or Michelob for this one and champagne after the game.

straightshooter
December 11th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Yea, good luck in 'nooga. Coach Moore deserves one. And then you can start thinking about that trip to Paulson in '06.

Hansel
December 11th, 2005, 11:07 AM
How much beer? Hey, Yikas, this is the long awaited championship game. Go for quality not quantity. I recommend Heinekin or Michelob for this one and champagne after the game.
http://insidetheusa.net/images/blogs/miller/truck_millerside.jpg

gasouthern01
December 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM
To all Appy fans, enjoy your trip to the Championship game. For many years you guys have deserved to be there, now take it all in and enjoy the entire atmosphere! And most of all, bring the Championship back to the Socon!! Good luck from the GSU nation!!

SoCon48
December 11th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Trey proved it last season, too, by leading us to a win over Texas State.

SoCon48
December 11th, 2005, 12:38 PM
http://insidetheusa.net/images/blogs/miller/truck_millerside.jpg

Miller is great for the golf course, but Heiney and Mick are for the celebrations!! IMOP.
If we win Friday without our #1 QB and #1 receiver...I say champagne by the magnum.

SoCon48
December 11th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Yea, good luck in 'nooga. Coach Moore deserves one. And then you can start thinking about that trip to Paulson in '06.

Yep, the shoe might be on the other foot in '06 if App can find some Juco's to replace our graduating seniors as well as a back-up for Trey..

AppIAA
December 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Yep, the shoe might be on the other foot in '06 if App can find some Juco's to replace our graduating seniors as well as a back-up for Trey..

I have heard rumors that one of our backups right now who red shirted this year, Hunter Stewart, has greater arm strength and accurcay than elder and williams and is just as mobile as elder. Don't know how true that is, but hopefully very true!

SoCon48
December 11th, 2005, 12:58 PM
I have heard rumors that one of our backups right now who red shirted this year, Hunter Stewart, has greater arm strength and accurcay than elder and williams and is just as mobile as elder. Don't know how true that is, but hopefully very true!
If he has greater arm strength I'd love to see it. Thing is, Richie could sling the ball downfield while on the run. Most any college QB can "wind up" and throw it a country mile.
Zac Amedro looked great, too, during the fall scrimmage running the 2nd O vs the 2nd D. I believe he was RSed, too.

AppIAA
December 11th, 2005, 01:04 PM
If he has greater arm strength I'd love to see it. Thing is, Richie could sling the ball downfield while on the run. Most any college QB can "wind up" and throw it a country mile.
Zac Amedro looked great, too, during the fall scrimmage running the 2nd O vs the 2nd D. I believe he was RSed, too.

I, unfortunately, was unable to go to the scrimmages, but that is was I heard as well... I guess time is all that is going to show the future of the Apps.

DinoDex200
December 12th, 2005, 10:03 AM

I think we're good at QB with Amedro and Laws. Don't know much about Hunter Stewart...but I think we'll have a few QB's looking to play here in the near future thanks to our wide-open O.

Black and Gold Express
December 12th, 2005, 10:17 AM

What we need most is to rebuild depth on both lines. We have most of the OL returning, and half the D-line. Our offense is fine at the skill positions, but will only go as far as the line goes, no matter who is in the backfield.

We need to get a replacement for Hunter to give us that DE tandem we are so used to having. Murrell will be keyed on heavily next season.

FU97
December 12th, 2005, 10:43 AM
What we need most is to rebuild depth on both lines. We have most of the OL returning, and half the D-line. Our offense is fine at the skill positions, but will only go as far as the line goes, no matter who is in the backfield.

We need to get a replacement for Hunter to give us that DE tandem we are so used to having. Murrell will be keyed on heavily next season.

Hunter was the best player on the field yesterday, even when Williams was in the game. Excellent play that I am not sad to see go.

Furman will give you a run next year as well. We return 20 of our top 22 defensive players as well as 2 OL, 2 WR, 1 (of the 3) RBs, and 1 Felton. Biggest hole will be the 3 interior OL and replacing Ingle at QB.

carney2
December 12th, 2005, 10:57 AM
"Best in the country" may be a bit much at this point, but set up to make a run at it - absolutely. They do need to plug some holes other than merely those left by graduation. For instance, the pass defense is only so-so and the special teams are way below par.

DinoDex200
December 12th, 2005, 12:00 PM
"Best in the country" may be a bit much at this point, but set up to make a run at it - absolutely. They do need to plug some holes other than merely those left by graduation. For instance, the pass defense is only so-so and the special teams are way below par.

I'll give you special teams...although Rauch is getting better. We need to get Dodge doin' some squats this off-season because he has no range.

As far as the secondary...all 4 guys are back next year, and our Safeties were both All-SoCon. Really, we just need Woazeah to keep up his improvement, and for Touchstone to grow about 5". :) I think our secondary will be great for the next 2 years.

FU97
December 12th, 2005, 12:52 PM
No issues with Lynch at S. He's a great player. Just make sure next time he meets up with Felton that he gets his pads lower.

Black and Gold Express
December 12th, 2005, 02:30 PM
No issues with Lynch at S. He's a great player. Just make sure next time he meets up with Felton that he gets his pads lower.

I'm not sure anyone can regularly tackle Felton one on one. That guy is a load and a half.

fuEMO
December 12th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure anyone can regularly tackle Felton one on one. That guy is a load and a half.

Just think the Furman coaches think redshirt freshman Salley could be better than Felton, that doesn't mean he will run over players like Felton does. I think APP will have the bullseye on their back next season. It's one thing to play as the hunted (Furman) it's another to not be picked to do alot and get it together and make the run that APP made this season. Having high pre-season expectations put on APP will make them the hunted in the SoCon next season and you guys will get the best shots of every team in the league. With trips to Western, Statesboro and Nooga, I expect you guys will have some of the nailbiters.

JMU Duke Dog
December 12th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Does Appalachian State have their nonconference opponents set for their 2006 schedule?

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Miller is great for the golf course, but Heiney and Mick are for the celebrations!! IMOP.
If we win Friday without our #1 QB and #1 receiver...I say champagne by the magnum.
In honor of cold weather in Boone, you have to go with only the finest import: Labatt Blue. I spent time in Michigan when Batty flows like a river. Go with Labatt Blue, but if you're cheap...do it right, and go Busch Light!:)

Go MOUNTAINEERS!!!

DinoDex200
December 12th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Does Appalachian State have their nonconference opponents set for their 2006 schedule?

AFAIK right now we have NC State...the others I am not sure. I know we had a return date with NW St. cancelled this year, and I think maybe EKU is coming to Boone. That leaves one more, I guess...

DinoDex200
December 12th, 2005, 04:23 PM
In honor of cold weather in Boone, you have to go with only the finest import: Labatt Blue. I spent time in Michigan when Batty flows like a river. Go with Labatt Blue, but if you're cheap...do it right, and go Busch Light!:)

Go MOUNTAINEERS!!!

3 Letters...

P!!!B!!!R!!! :beerchug:xprost2x:beerchug:

Best dollar for dollar beer on the market!!

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2005, 04:26 PM
3 Letters...

P!!!B!!!R!!! :beerchug:xprost2x:beerchug:

Best dollar for dollar beer on the market!!
Very true, all I drank on St. Patty's Day was green PBR. Got to love it, although stay away from PBR Light.

DinoDex200
December 12th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Very true, all I drank on St. Patty's Day was green PBR. Got to love it, although stay away from PBR Light.

:doh: (Shudders)...I didn't know there was such a thing...and I like PBR!!

SoCon48
December 12th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Go MOUNTAINEERS!!!

ColdWeather? Then ditch the beer for JD, Canadian Club, Crown Royal, or Kentucky "not so" :hyped: Gentleman.

JCLINE

Mr. C
December 12th, 2005, 10:30 PM

Jerry Moore would be the first to tell you that this is really a young team. Most people felt like 2006 was really going to be ASU's year, not 2005. The key will be senior leadership next year, with some guys like Williams, Johnson, Suiter, West and Oliver graduating.

ASU loses the following key seniors:
QB Richie Williams, WR Jermane Little, WR Zach Johnson, WR Brandon Turner, LT Grant Oliver, RG Jeremy Robertson on offense.
DE Jason Hunter, DT Joe Suiter, DL Arthur Orlebar (key reserve), OLB Brad West, MLB Zodd Kelly on defense.

The Mountaineers can easily replace Suiter, Orlebar, West and Kelly from a talent perspective. They are absolutely loaded at LB and players like Cam Speer, Pierre Banks and Jacque Roman will be big upgrades in terms of talent, though lacking experience. Roman, who will be a redshirt freshman, has a chance to be the next GREAT ASU LB in the long line of Dino Hackett, Rico Mack, Brent David, Dexter Coakley, Joe DiBernardo, Joey Hall, Justin Seaverns, Sam Smalls, Jerelle Carter etc. Roman was the star of the final ASU scrimmage this fall. I wouldn't worry too much about replacing Hunter (though he is a great player), the Mountaineers always seem to have a young player waiting in the wings to be the next star at DE. Freshman Austin Guarino could be that guy.

On offense, the big loss is Williams, the best QB in ASU history, but at least the Mountaineers are well-stocked behind him. Kevin Richardson had the best season for a sophomore RB in school history and will only get better. He actually was nursing a sprained ankle (hurt late in camp) for much of the 2005 season. The receiving corps are solid and players like Dexter Jackson and Hans Batichon will only get better. William Mayfield could be one of the best in I-AA by next fall, that is how much he has improved at the end of the season. I could see Mayfield, with his size and versatality, being an NFL player down the road. Daniel Bettis will probably be the top returning TE in I-AA. The OL is always a place where you need to build depth. T.J. Courman and Trey Hennessee are two others who could have very prominent roles at WR and FB next year.

If this team gets the proper leadership from its senior class in 2006, it will be in the hunt again next season.

WUTNDITWAA
December 12th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Great post Mr. C. However, the future is NOW! I'll start thinking about 2006 on Monday...make that Tuesday.

Appdad
December 13th, 2005, 12:10 AM
" RG Jeremy Robertson on offense."

Jeremy is a Junior

Mr. C
December 13th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Jeremy Robertson is listed in the App State media guide as a senior. He must have a redshirt year, or something available

SoCon48
December 13th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Jeremy Robertson is listed in the App State media guide as a senior. He must have a redshirt year, or something available
Hope so, Mr C!!!!! :hyped:

Appdad
December 13th, 2005, 12:58 PM

There are more mistakes than this one in the media guide.

Mr. Robertson is a junior.

Mr. C
December 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM
There are more mistakes than this one in the media guide.

Mr. Robertson is a junior.
Thanks for the correction. I wondered about it when I read him listed as a senior.

KiddBrewer
September 15th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I HAD TO BRING IT OUT!.....

i needed to bring this ooolllddd thread out so all us app fans can get a much needed laugh about our predictions....

oh, back when we are all so young and naive.....

Go...gate
September 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I was going to say FBS, maybe?