PDA

View Full Version : Delaware v. West Chester Game Thread

93henfan
September 4th, 2009, 01:14 PM
OK boys, I'm about to start packing up the gear and heading up the road to The Tub.

Game time is 7pm tonight.

Game Notes: http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/football/fbnotes09-wcu.pdf

Audio - Blue Hens Radio Network (on WDSD): http://www.wdsd.com/main.html
alternate (on The Ticket) - http://www.1290theticket.com/main.html

Live links from UD:

Video (this is a new feature, so good luck): http://www.udel.edu/UMS/udlive/

Live stats (they've been testing it today, so don't be alarmed if there's a score there pre-kickoff): http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/livestats/football/xlive.htm

I'm interested to know how well these last two work tonight, so please post a report.

Philliesfan980
September 4th, 2009, 01:19 PM
OK boys, I'm about to start packing up the gear and heading up the road to The Tub.

Game time is 7pm tonight.

Game Notes: http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/football/fbnotes09-wcu.pdf

Audio - Blue Hens Radio Network (on WDSD): http://www.wdsd.com/main.html

Live links from UD:

Video (this is a new feature, so good luck): http://www.udel.edu/UMS/udlive/

Live stats (they've been testing it today, so don't be alarmed if there's a score there pre-kickoff): http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/livestats/football/xlive.htm

I'm interested to know how well these last two work tonight, so please post a report.

Thanks for the links. When I click on the video links, Delaware doesn't have any "upcoming events". Maybe they'll post it later today?

T-Dog
September 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
If Delaware doesn't win this game we should seal off the borders and set the whole state adrift.

93henfan
September 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the links. When I click on the video links, Delaware doesn't have any "upcoming events". Maybe they'll post it later today?

They didn't when I looked, but do now! Try again. I'm d/l'ing real player right now. It's a required plug-in apparently.

EDIT: I clicked on the volleyball game that is supposedly occurring now and had no luck. It said the file was outdated. Not a good omen for tonight methinks.

93henfan
September 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
If Delaware doesn't win this game we should seal off the borders and set the whole state adrift.

As long as it floats, I'm cool with that. xthumbsupx

blukeys
September 4th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Going to the beaches with all the Yahoos from NY., PA., NJ, and MD., clogging our roadways, polluting our bays, taking handicapped parking spaces (a specialty of NJ drivers)

I am in favor of this whether the Hens beat WCU or not.

Philliesfan980
September 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM
They didn't when I looked, but do now! Try again. I'm d/l'ing real player right now. It's a required plug-in apparently.

EDIT: I clicked on the volleyball game that is supposedly occurring now and had no luck. It said the file was outdated. Not a good omen for tonight methinks.

Ah, I see, it works now. Hopefully the quality is good, I'm not too much of a stickler on these webcasts though. As long as I can make out the players, I'm happy.

tribe_pride
September 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Going to the beaches with all the Yahoos from NY., PA., NJ, and MD., clogging our roadways, polluting our bays, taking handicapped parking spaces (a specialty of NJ drivers)

I am in favor of this whether the Hens beat WCU or not.

Yeah but then you are going to start having to pay a bunch in taxes since you won't be able to charge all drivers about $10 each way to drive for about 15-20 minutes from the NJ Turnpike over the bridge, through 95 and then in to Maryland.

Go...gate
September 4th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Is this the final game in the series?

blukeys
September 4th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Yeah but then you are going to start having to pay a bunch in taxes since you won't be able to charge all drivers about $10 each way to drive for about 15-20 minutes from the NJ Turnpike over the bridge, through 95 and then in to Maryland.

Trust me we never see this money in our part of the state. This goes to New Castle County Politicians and the Delaware River and Bay Authority where half of it goes to NJ politicos. It won't hurt my feelings one bit if this outrageous rip off gets shut down. While we are at it why not shut down the outrageous toll over the Suquehenna in Maryland on I-95. It is just as much a rip-off.

Dblue
September 4th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the video link. Looks good!

Philliesfan980
September 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the video link. Looks good!

Yeah, it's not bad. Definately watchable. I'm actually glad that it's not super high quality, because this probably means it will be able to handle a lot of viewers without getting choppy.

Skjellyfetti
September 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Delaware 7
West Chester 0

After a great punt return, West Chester starts at Delaware 29

Skjellyfetti
September 4th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Another 3 and out for Delaware

Head Cat
September 4th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Josh Baker, Delaware's senior TE, is out for the game (and possibly worse) with a knee injury. It looked like he caught a cleat in the grass on punt coverage.

Head Cat
September 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Anthony Walters with an interception to the West Chester four right before the end of the 1st quarter.

Maroon&White
September 4th, 2009, 06:51 PM
That QB looks horrible. Has he come close on any pass?

blukeys
September 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM
4 for 4 on the first series. He looks a lot better than Liam did in his first game.

EmeryZach
September 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM
ouch

Head Cat
September 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM
It is more that the QB has very little place to throw to with the excellent secondary play of Delaware. Their DBs have been great in this game.

jmufan999
September 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM
geez, the video looks f'ing amazing. even on my slow ass computer... impressive.

blukeys
September 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM

My bad I thought you were talking about the UD QB. Joey Wright is a decent QB but the UD Secondary is probably the strongest part of their defense. None of their guys are open and there has been pressure on every play.

Philliesfan980
September 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure why either one of these teams play this game. I guess it's a good money game for West Chester, but I don't see how anything good can come from losing big time year after year.

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I love the behind the scenes commentary of the guys trying to get their mics working.

blukeys
September 4th, 2009, 07:47 PM
The series was competitive until about the mid 90's. The PSAC has steadily reduced the number of scollies to contain costs. I think they are at 24 right now. The numbers were closer in the 80's and early 90's when WCU had some great players like Joe Senser.

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Now that sounds like an offensive line coach if i ever heard one.

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Very cool for free video

blukeys
September 4th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Now that sounds like an offensive line coach if i ever heard one.

Gotta love the name Buck. Coach Wrobo.

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Gotta love the name Buck. Coach Wrobo.

Without a doubt. O-line coaches are always a little strange, especially of they're good.

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Man, how slow is West Chester getting to the outside on defense? Good god.

blukeys
September 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hens up 35-0.

Hoyadestroya85
September 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Doesn't Dub C run the Wing-T?

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Devlin looked good and the Hen's are beating them the way they should be, but man, WC looks like garbage.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 4th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Devlin looked good and the Hen's are beating them the way they should be, but man, WC looks like garbage.

Just reaching for the positive, but WCU did manage to win their first game forty-something to nothing.

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Just reaching for the positive, but WCU did manage to win their first game forty-something to nothing.

Almost fell off my chair when they said that.

andy7171
September 4th, 2009, 08:34 PM
WC is garbage. F UD!

Screw Bluen Hens@

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 08:53 PM
WC is garbage. F UD!

Screw Bluen Hens@

Oh! Andy feeling his oats. Yeah! Screw the Hens xthumbsupx xlolx

SunCoastBlueHen
September 4th, 2009, 08:54 PM
WC is garbage. F UD!

Screw Bluen Hens@

A very sad case of Henvy in evidence right here. xsmiley_wix

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 08:55 PM
A very sad case of Henvy in evidence right here. xsmiley_wix

I just have nothing else to do. The kids got the okay to watch a movie and are still up! The wife watching something on the other tv, i get the cpu and a UD feed. And they say a man is the king of his castle. xsmhx

blukeys
September 4th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I just have nothing else to do. The kids got the okay to watch a movie and are still up! The wife watching something on the other tv, i get the cpu and a UD feed. And they say a man is the king of his castle. xsmhx

As they say in the Mel Brooks movies.
"It's good to be KIng"

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM
As they say in the Mel Brooks movies.
"It's good to be KIng"

Great movie xlolx Good call xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Gentlemen, congrats on the W, i am going to hit the rack.

YoUDeeMan
September 4th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Josh Baker, Delaware's senior TE, is out for the game (and possibly worse) with a knee injury. It looked like he caught a cleat in the grass on punt coverage.

Talked to one of the UD staff after the game...Baker will be back. xnodx

Confirmed on GoHens. That is great news!!!!!!! xbowx xthumbsupx

93henfan
September 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Back home. Good game for the Hens. We have a QB! Defense looks great, as expected, and OL looks like the place that still needs some work (mostly on run blocking - pass was OK), as expected.

KC stated in his post-game interview that Josh Baker will be OK. He said they thought it might be an ACL at first but they took him in the locker room and determined he's fine. KC even said he expects he may play next Saturday. That sounds ambitious, having watched it live, then on replay, and watching him get carted off.

Corey Nicholson and Brandon Gilbeaux were both hobbled during the game but should be fine.

Question for those also at the game (or who watched). What in the heck was Hofher trying to do every time we had 1st and goal? I didn't know Devlin was going to be a goal line WR. xeyebrowx Was that a diversion for Richmond's film study? It appeared that they were keeping things fairly vanilla for most of the game in that regard.

Noticed that Hofher is the lone signal caller this season, as opposed to the trio of coordinator plus two backup QBs from last few years.

Did you guys see the rabbit running around in the NE corner? Good luck? xconfusedx

Devlin really has the support of the team. Everyone came over to give him a tap after the first TD throw. Even the state troopers were fist bumping him on the sidelines.

I was impressed with the crowd. They were a bit late getting in the stadium on a holiday weekend Friday night, but the place seemed to be full except for the top of the SE corner. The students were out in full force filling the SEZ, section A and B and part of N.

GannonFan
September 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM
What I posted over on GoHens after getting back from the game (too tired to come up with something new):

Best news of the night is that Baker isn't lost for the season. Watching him drop like he did and the being carted off the field was just deflating to say the least. After Devlin, Baker might be the next most important player on offense. The fact that he could be back, and maybe in a very short time frame, is the best news by far.

As the game goes, my thoughts:

- Unless we are holding back something on that Wildcat, and I really hope we didn't want to give Richmond too much film, then I hope it's a short experiment. Now that we have a stud QB, and one who's an accurate passer, I'd rather let him take 3 shots at the endzone than taking him away from the play entirely.

- Baker looked great before he got hurt. Great hands, great speed, great feel for how to get open and run after catching it. The play he fumbled on he actually made a great catch on his hip and then turned it up the field. Beautiful until he put it on the ground.

- Defensive line had great pressure all game, and most of it came right up the middle. Wright had little chance to step into any throw with the pressure right in front of him. What got into Haynes? He looked incredible out there. Maybe getting to carry the US flag into the game on the team entrance is that motivating?

- Running game is clearly the concern coming out of this game. Not a lot of room to run all night. On the bright side, they couldn't get anywhere close to Devlin, so it's not all bad on the offensive line. Wonder if running Devlin more might be in the cards in the next few games - they had no reason to risk Devlin tonight so maybe that's something they can pull out later.

- On the whole, great first effort. Offense looks productive and you just believe Devlin can do anything he wants to do. And the defense just looked mean and nasty out there. We'll find out how much of this is real in about 7 days or so when we see Richmond. At least we can enter that game somewhat optimistic, especially if Baker can somehow be on the field

YoUDeeMan
September 4th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Question for those also at the game (or who watched). What in the heck was Hofher trying to do every time we had 1st and goal? I didn't know Devlin was going to be a goal line WR. xeyebrowx Was that a diversion for Richmond's film study? It appeared that they were keeping things fairly vanilla for most of the game in that regard.

Did you guys see the rabbit running around in the NE corner? Good luck? xconfusedx

I was impressed with the crowd. They were a bit late getting in the stadium on a holiday weekend Friday night, but the place seemed to be full except for the top of the SE corner. The students were out in full force filling the SEZ, section A and B and part of N.

1) The Wildcat needs to be scrapped. That is how they have practiced it for the most part and it hasn't done a thing in practice either. Painful to watch. Baker has handled some snaps also and he is able to bully his way to a few yards, but he could do that from a normal formation and that would give us at least a threat of a pass. Even West Chester tried the Wildcat...and they were just as ineffective as we were.

Bottom line..if you don't have a RB who can throw the ball, then all you are doing is saying, "Hey, we will snap it to our RB and he will hesitate for a second and then run the ball." No effing surprise there...as if Devlin will ever see a pass thrown his way.
xrolleyesx

Chripes, if you are going to use the wildcat, please put Hakes in there with Devlin. Hakes can run and at least has the threat to pass...although he almost threw a pick. That guy scares me.

2) The rabbit was a riot! Damend thing was running for his life and couldn't find sanctuary. SDSU's mascot arrived a year early. xlolx I think he covered 80 yards running back and forth between the goal line and the 25 looking for an exit.

3) The top northest of the stadium was empty also and there were small holes everywhere. Still, a good crowd. Students left by half...AGAIN. xnonono2x

Great game by the D. xbowx WCU had only 18 yards total early in the 3rd. Devlin was on target...and he scrambled. That adds a new tool to our offense.

All in all, a good game.

Maroon&White
September 4th, 2009, 11:52 PM
My bad I thought you were talking about the UD QB. Joey Wright is a decent QB but the UD Secondary is probably the strongest part of their defense. None of their guys are open and there has been pressure on every play.

Sorry for not being more specific, I did mean the West Chester QB, apparently Joey Wright. Horrible was too strong a term, especially considering the UD secondary. Just looked to be many passes in first quarter that he missed badly. The guy appeared to be open, but were just thrown very poorly.

Also, very nice video feature.

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2009, 06:42 AM
1) The Wildcat needs to be scrapped. That is how they have practiced it for the most part and it hasn't done a thing in practice either.

If they insist on using it, I am hoping the true Frosh from florida gets a chance

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2009, 06:45 AM
and 93henfan,

thanks again for alerting many to the webcast, that was a thing of beauty for those of us that cant get to the games

I take it all home games will be available?

ChickenMan
September 5th, 2009, 08:48 AM
The good.. the bad and the ugly

Good
Devlin as good or better than expected
the defense was totally dominate

Bad
run blocking has to be much better
Baker's injury looked to be a season ender.. but now they say he should be OK

Ugly
the game.. it's way past time for this series to end

89Hen
September 5th, 2009, 09:04 AM
- Unless we are holding back something on that Wildcat, and I really hope we didn't want to give Richmond too much film, then I hope it's a short experiment.

We have a QB! Defense looks great, as expected, and OL looks like the place that still needs some work (mostly on run blocking - pass was OK), as expected.

1) The Wildcat needs to be scrapped.
Agreed on all fronts there. The Wildcat looked more like the timid mouse. xsmhx

How great was the first play of the game? A HUGE sigh of relief on a complete pass for a first down. xbowx

Crowd, especially the students were very late arriving, but did fill it in pretty well. xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM

2) The rabbit was a riot! Damend thing was running for his life and couldn't find sanctuary. SDSU's mascot arrived a year early. xlolx I think he covered 80 yards running back and forth between the goal line and the 25 looking for an exit.
That was right in my corner. When he escaped the WCU sideline I jumped up and did my best play by play announcer... he's at the 15, the 10, the 5, TOUCHDOWN! The NEZ crowd laughed their arse off. :D

89Hen
September 5th, 2009, 10:34 AM
One other thing. WTF was with the turf last night?? There was a HORRIBLE patch at the goal line in the NEZ. The ref tamped down some big divots but that drive of the Hens that ended on the one and the ensuing WCU drive that went three and out were all right there and it looked like the Chatty field in 2004. xsmhx

aust42
September 5th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Good win by the Hens last night but we'll see how good we are next week vs Richmond.

I was very disapointed to see the Wildcat last night. When Devlin goes out and our RB is taking a direct snap it's an easy play to defend. Why advertise a blatant running play?

93henfan
September 5th, 2009, 11:19 AM
How great was the first play of the game? A HUGE sigh of relief on a complete pass for a first down. xbowx

Amen. xbowx I was thinking the same thing. I turned to my dad and remarked that we only had about five of those last year. xlolx

blukeys
September 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Amen. xbowx I was thinking the same thing. I turned to my dad and remarked that we only had about five of those last year. xlolx

LOL I thought the same thing!!!!!!xlolxxlolxxlolx

YoUDeeMan
September 5th, 2009, 02:03 PM
That was right in my corner. When he escaped the WCU sideline I jumped up and did my best play by play announcer... he's at the 15, the 10, the 5, TOUCHDOWN! The NEZ crowd laughed their arse off. :D

Where were you sitting? We were in section Z, row E, seats 110-117.

Didn't think we'd go, but a neighbor wanted to take his kids, so we walked up and got tickets about 45 minutes prior to the game.

89Hen
September 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Good win by the Hens last night but we'll see how good we are next week vs Richmond.

I was very disapointed to see the Wildcat last night. When Devlin goes out and our RB is taking a direct snap it's an easy play to defend. Why advertise a blatant running play?
Agreed. I kept reminding Mrs89 that this was WCUPA.

I just saw Notre Dame line up in a wildcat down on the Nevada 15 yard line...

THE WILDCAT IS THE MOST STUPID OFFENSIVE FORMATION EVER INVENTED.

xmadx xnutsx xmadx xnutsx xmadx xnutsx xmadx xnutsx xmadx xnutsx xmadx xnutsx

Skjellyfetti
September 5th, 2009, 03:07 PM
THE WILDCAT IS THE MOST STUPID OFFENSIVE FORMATION EVER INVENTED.

xmadx xnutsx xmadx xnutsx xmadx xnutsx xmadx xnutsx xmadx xnutsx xmadx xnutsx

Just need the right athlete to run it.

89Hen
September 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Where were you sitting? We were in section Z, row E, seats 110-117.
xlolx I think those used to be my exact old seats. Were you against the fence overlooking the concession stands? There was actually a seat, maybe 117 or 118 that was actually under the fence. We moved over to Section X three years ago, row D. We're just outside the right goalpost.

89Hen
September 5th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Just need the right athlete to run it.
BULLSH>>> NO RB is as good as your starting QB and NO QB is as good as your starting WR. WTF is the point of that formation?

93henfan
September 5th, 2009, 03:11 PM
We were in section Z, row E, seats 110-117.

We moved over to Section X three years ago, row D. We're just outside the right goalpost.

Thanks. Now I know where to shine my green laser pointer during the Richmond game. :D

ChickenMan
September 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM
UD's offense suffered a huge loss.. TE Josh Baker one of their best receivers and blockers is gone for the year with an ACL. Other than Devlin... Baker may have been the Hen's most irreplaceable player...

93henfan
September 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
UD's offense suffered a huge loss.. TE Josh Baker one of their best receivers and blockers is gone for the year with an ACL. Other than Devlin... Baker may have been the Hen's most irreplacaeble player...

xbawlingx - Where was this confirmed? GoHens?

EDIT: Yeah, I see where his dad reported. Man.

Wow. ACL and MCL.

89Hen
September 5th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks. Now I know where to shine my green laser pointer during the Richmond game. :D
Can you direct the cheerleaders throwing t-shirts there too? :D

93henfan
September 5th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Can you direct the cheerleaders throwing t-shirts there too? :D

How about if I direct the shirt cannon over there. That thing would be lethal to the NEZ.

Btw, I've think I have good azimuths for the laser.

93henfan
September 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
TNJ reported 6,000 students at last night's game. Pretty impressive. You have to figure though that a large percentage were freshman and they'll probably start getting homesick for Jersey and Long Island and skip town on some future weekends.

89Hen
September 5th, 2009, 03:36 PM
TNJ reported 6,000 students at last night's game. Pretty impressive.
It was great to see that many... I just hope next week they get there before the team comes through the tunnel. They should be building this game up on campus all week.

YoUDeeMan
September 5th, 2009, 05:09 PM

Fire away! xnodx Just don't tell the people there next week that I told you to do so. xlolx

Those weren't season tickets...we walked up and got them at the Bob.

Next week we are sitting on the visitor's side....but I will be looking for the origin of a green laser pointed at section Z. :D

Bummer about Baker. :( His Dad first posted that his son was going to be OK.