PDA

View Full Version : NDSU @ Iowa State

MplsBison
September 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
End of first half ISU leads NDSU 17-10.

Score should be 17-17 but NDSU fumbles on the 1 yd line while trying to dive for the TD.

Still, NDSU is doing much better than I thought. They start with the ball in the 2nd half and the first drive will be telling. If NDSU can keep momentum and march down the field to get at least a FG, then NDSU has a chance to win this game.

It appears it will be a close game at least to the 4th Qtr. Then we'll see if NDSU has the enough gas in the tank to keep it close the whole game or not.

It'll be fun!

crunifan
September 3rd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Keep it up, Bison! Its always fun to see Iowa State lose!xnodx

MplsBison
September 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Shucks!

NDSU gets 2 first downs on the opening drive of the 2nd half but get a bad break as a throw bounced off an OL helmet and is intercepted.

Gil Dobie
September 3rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Inconvenient turnovers by the Bison, of course no turnovers are convenient. :(

dprichar
September 3rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Any free audio of this game? I'm pulling for you.

espete
September 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Here's video on channelsurfing.net (http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-ncaa-football.php?w=6)

Gil Dobie
September 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Here's video on channelsurfing.net (http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-ncaa-football.php?w=6)

Iowa St Link (http://www.thezone1600.com/)

MplsBison
September 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
TD NDSU!

ISU leads 24-17.

NDSU hanging in there, not much time left in the 3Q.

Going to be interesting...stay tuned!

Gil Dobie
September 3rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
Gotta work on the kickoffs, 3 offsides xoopsx

dlsiouxfan
September 3rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
Keep it up, Bison! Its always fun to see Iowa State lose!xnodx

How much fun can it be? They lose almost every time.

MSUBear42
September 3rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
http://channelsurfing.net/watch-ncaa-football.php?w=6

dlsiouxfan
September 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
ISU's kicker is the best player on the field tonight. 50 yd FG.

W. DeMontague
September 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090904/capt.42bffe65447e4fbf8839a0e8ac7b8dbe.n_dakota_st_ iowa_st_football_iacn106.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090904/capt.ad8b2e082a5a4ee8a7fc8f71a0dac49a.n_dakota_st_ iowa_st_football_iacn104.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090904/capt.52bbce9e3e584e08a042bdb432793eea.n_dakota_st_ iowa_st_football_iacn103.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090904/capt.f2bdd3937ca44c6d981da73b14ca9e3f.n_dakota_st_ iowa_st_football_iacn101.jpg

PantherRob82
September 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
Terrible play on 3rd and 5. This game looks over. Bummer

dlsiouxfan
September 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Way to many missed tackles for both teams/

crunifan
September 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
How much fun can it be? They lose almost every time.

If you lived in Iowa, and had to deal with large numbers of Cyclone fans, you'd understand.

Gil Dobie
September 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
ISU plays a clean game, no penalties tonight. xpeacex

dlsiouxfan
September 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Speaking of penalties. I've counted at least 5 penalties on special teams for NDSU. That's pretty much unacceptable against anybody.

darell1976
September 3rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
I hope UND can stay with TT as NDSU stayed with ISU. Good game NDSU!!!

dlsiouxfan
September 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
I hope UND can stay with TT as NDSU stayed with ISU. Good game NDSU!!!

Well, it will be tough. Texas Tech is a legitimate FBS squad. Iowa State will almost certainly embark on their next 10 game losing streak next week.

strike00
September 3rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Not a bad showing from NDSU. Don't fumble going into the endzone and its a little different game.

BTW how are you offside on almost every kickoff?

darell1976
September 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Well, it will be tough. Texas Tech is a legitimate FBS squad. Iowa State will almost certainly embark on their next 10 game losing streak next week.

As long as they lose to Nebraska I am happy.:D

TheBisonator
September 3rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
I honestly thought we would do better tonight, but oh well... We didn't play out my nightmare scenario, so that's OK. I think Mertens will really hold us back if he doesn't get his ass in gear and start playing the QB position WELL. Paschall and Holloway looked AWESOME tonight, and if we get a decent QB in the mix, we're suddenly an offensive threat. Let's see what happens at Sam Houston.

My prediction for next week:

NDSU 35
SHSU 20

BisonBacker
September 3rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
I honestly thought we would do better tonight, but oh well... We didn't play out my nightmare scenario, so that's OK. I think Mertens will really hold us back if he doesn't get his ass in gear and start playing the QB position WELL. Paschall and Holloway looked AWESOME tonight, and if we get a decent QB in the mix, we're suddenly an offensive threat. Let's see what happens at Sam Houston.

My prediction for next week:

NDSU 35
SHSU 20

Amen to that Bisonator, if we had a decent QB we'd be back as a threat in the MVFC. As it is we are going to struggle to get to 7-4. We have some really good players but Starting QB is not one of those positions.

strike00
September 3rd, 2009, 11:28 PM
I don't understand how Mertens is still your starting QB. He was terrible in the UNI dome last year. Did he get better? NDSU doesn't have anyone better on the roster? No offense meant to NDSU, I just haven't followed Mertens or the Bison QB situation much.

dlsiouxfan
September 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Amen to that Bisonator, if we had a decent QB we'd be back as a threat in the MVFC. As it is we are going to struggle to get to 7-4. We have some really good players but Starting QB is not one of those positions.

You guys are too tough on Mertens. You're defense, much like last year, is downright soft.

TheBisonator
September 3rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
You guys are too tough on Mertens. You're defense, much like last year, is downright soft.

And you're gonna get wasted by Texas Tech on Saturday. What's your point?? The only reason you're on this thread is to antagonize.

BisonBacker
September 4th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Nobody is being to tough on Mertens it is what it is a bad situation with him at QB. Unfortunately to answer your question Strike00 nothing has changed with regard to Mertens. Tonight he still telegraphed his throws, never saw him audible once and was anything but crisp on his passing. We have a Juco from California but he's not been in the system very long. Our other backup from California also was suspended for this game and I believe one or two more yet for off field stupidity this summer. So I'm not real hopeful for this year. We do have what appears to be a pretty good kid coming out of Wisconsin but will be redshirted. We also have a verbal from a pretty promising prospect out of Bismarck but that won't help us this year. Bottom line is if you get to see the UNI game when you guys come up here to Fargo this year don't expect if Mertens is still our starting QB to see anything differnet than you did last year. Our play book may be a little more open but it matters not when you can't get the ball downfield effectively through the air.

Big Al
September 4th, 2009, 12:22 AM
That's a bummer, BB, because everyone (and I mean everyone) knows the way to attack UNI is through the secondary. If you run, we will shut you down.

You'll still have a not-horrible-year, I suspect, because the MVFC is a run-dominant conference and with In State & Il State looking less-than-impressive (to be charitable) you are far from basement-dwellers.

h5322rsh
September 4th, 2009, 06:19 AM
An SDSU fan hiding in ND and listened to most of the game on WDAY. Bison certainly deserve a big E for effort. Some first game mistakes took away momentum at times. Paschall will be a problem for the Jacks and the true freshman Stigers will soon be a West Acres chatter name. Scheels will soon be carrying Stigers jersay in volumes as he appears to be the real deal for a true freshman.

I think NDSU will be very good this year and certainly will fill Coughlin Alumni Staduim on Oct 17th

The pay check from ISU has got be a good one no doubt.

Jag4Life
September 4th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I think EKU fumbled at the 1 yard line as well against IU. You have to be careful in the red zone.

darell1976
September 4th, 2009, 08:56 AM
And you're gonna get wasted by Texas Tech on Saturday. What's your point?? The only reason you're on this thread is to antagonize.

Because TT and ISU are one of the same..yeah right. He has a point its not Mertens that gave up 34 points to an ISU team on the bottom of the Big 12 who lost 10 in a row. So don't blame everything on your QB yes he fumbled at the goal line but it was early and they had time to recover but offsides on almost every kickoff??? I would say there could be some question marks on your defense as well as QB.

MplsBison
September 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Texas Tech was legitimate last year.

This season they will be contending with A&M for last place in the BXII south. That's my legitimate honest opinion. Texas and Oklahoma are dominate, as always. OK State could have a breakout season and even Baylor is supposed to be much improved with their star QB. That leaves TT and A&M.

But I'm not trying to diminish TT, in case UND plays them close. Just saying.

UNIFanSince1983
September 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM
If NDSU could tackle this game might have been different. If they didn't turn it over it might have been different. Fact remains you lost. I don't care what FBS team you lose to there is no shame in losing to a FBS program.

I mean tackle a WR. Hamilton is not as good as NDSU made him look last night.

Thunderstruck84
September 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM
It doesn't matter who it is, you're not gonna be able to beat a good team (and relative to the FCS, Iowa State is a good team) making the type of mistakes NDSU made tonight.

Mertens, once again, is streaky but showed some accuracy issues and had two more turnovers - the fumble on the goal line was a backbreaker.

Can't say enough good things about the running game, the O-line came to play.

The TEs looked really good and the WRs looked better than I expected.

Defensively, it was a struggle at best. I think the D-line did OK and Preston Evans had a great game but the rest of the LBs and secondary were very shaky.

Special teams was horrendous, kick covereage couldn't have been much worse. That should be priority #1 for the coaching staff to get shored up next week.

Sam Houston St next week will be a better barometer (and a more pivotal) game for the Bison. If they win, everything is gravy. If they lose, things could start getting ugly.

pantherbacker
September 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I thought NDSU's line played well on both sides of the ball.

onbison09
September 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM
ISU plays a clean game, no penalties tonight. xpeacex

Except for that helmet to helmet job on that 3rd down. Plus there was some holding. But refs didn't decide the game. Too many dumb penalties. xsmhx

UNI Pike
September 4th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Are you talking about the ISU safety crushing your TE #82 over the middle? If that is the scene, that was a clean hit, though close. Led with the shoulder and put the hat right under the facemask. It did ride up as he ran through.

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Sam Houston St next week will be a better barometer (and a more pivotal) game for the Bison. If they win, everything is gravy. If they lose, things could start getting ugly.

If you guys lose to SHSU, you're going to have some issues. I wasn't impressed with WIU or SHSU last night.

TCisMYhero
September 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM
If ISU wins more than 2 games this year, I would be surprised. This was not a quality loss, about like losing to Western Kentucky. Time to put your tails between your legs and hit the cellar for another long cold year for the Bison!

ncbears
September 4th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Are you talking about the ISU safety crushing your TE #82 over the middle? If that is the scene, that was a clean hit, though close. Led with the shoulder and put the hat right under the facemask. It did ride up as he ran through.

I thought it was a nice, clean hit too.

OrygunBison
September 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Had Mertens thrown the ball in the numbers, the hit wouldn't have looked so big and bad. Fact is, he was stretched out to the max to even make a play at the ball. Give that to the QB. (and I'm not even a Mertens hater...)

onbison09
September 4th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I thought it was a nice, clean hit too.

It might have the camera angle. Or my bias :D

ASU_Fanatic
September 4th, 2009, 09:57 PM
NDSU always does well with FBS teams.

igo4uni
September 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
good try for the bison. Too bad they couldn't beat the hapless Iowa State Cyclowns.

ncbears
September 5th, 2009, 12:34 AM
NDSU always does well with FBS teams.

dude. Isn't Taylor Swift like 16??

Blue42
September 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM
If Mertens gets that ball over the goal line to make it 7-7, I think it's a dog fight the rest of the night. Good hit by the Clones to knock it loose though.

Keep it tight with the Clones or get a lead on them and they start to grip. That's what ISU does. I think they're looking at a 3 or 4 win season.

Interesting that when ISU fumbled near the end zone on the next possession that they were able to run the next play in about 10 seconds.

Thundar
September 5th, 2009, 08:40 AM
If Mertens gets that ball over the goal line to make it 7-7, I think it's a dog fight the rest of the night. Good hit by the Clones to knock it loose though.
Keep it tight with the Clones or get a lead on them and they start to grip. That's what ISU does. I think they're looking at a 3 or 4 win season.

Interesting that when ISU fumbled near the end zone on the next possession that they were able to run the next play in about 10 seconds.

I agree 100% that took the momentum away big time!!

UNHFan
September 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Wow just read the Box Score and most of this thread. Congrats Bison looks like you had this game! Any time FCS plays an FBS I am FCS all they way. Going to be wearing a lot of different hats today.

SteelCurtain
September 5th, 2009, 10:32 PM
good try for the bison. Too bad they couldn't beat the hapless Iowa State Cyclowns.

I attended both the NDSU game and the UNI game..

Great few days in Iowa..just got home...Tell you what we both should have won the games...

If that Iowa offense shows up next week Iowa State will pound them..Their QB and o-line and number 82 are studs!!!

Our fumble at the goal line was killer!!! Also they fumbled at the five but no replay??? Doesn't the Big 12 have replay???

We had the ball to start the second half and were driving when a ball was deflected and picked...We tie the game and things would have changed dramatically.

UNI will be the class of the conference again...I think we have a great chance at 2/3rd and will be 8-3....

The only thing we have is your coming to our place and we are tough at home..But you have a great chance of making a big run in the playoffs again this year..Thought you had the best team last year...Think you have the best team again this year..

SteelCurtain
September 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM
If ISU wins more than 2 games this year, I would be surprised. This was not a quality loss, about like losing to Western Kentucky. Time to put your tails between your legs and hit the cellar for another long cold year for the Bison!

TC...your better than that....Iowa States QB is a STUD!!!! the best we have ever played against..

their O-line is pretty good also..Wr's not too bad..

Their O will put up some points this year..problem is their d is below average.

If I were a betting man I would easily put my money on Iowa St over Iowa..

bisonwest
September 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Considering our youth, I think we played pretty well. We seemed a little undiciplined with all the offsides penalties. I'm sick of everybody throwing Mertens under the bus. He did not cost us this game. I think the Sam Houston game will be a better barometer for what kind of team we have, but from what I see there is reason to be optimistic. We are a very green team at this point with all the new starters but the future looks bright!

JBB
September 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I was at the game. Had good seats with the gracious and fun loving ISU fans. Jack Trice is a beautiful stadium, weather was perfect and the field is beautiful blue grass.

This was a first game and you have to look at the box score to understand how well NDSU did.

The BISON had a balanced attack and could move the ball. They made some mistakes but the O line was very good. Running backs showed speed, moves and strength. The WR were playing well too. NDSU should win when they have 200+ yds rushing.

Mertens looked good. He had the fumble and the INT but 178 yds aint bad. Unfortunately we only had 1 TD passing and 1 rushing. Lots of yads, lots of good plays but we couldnt get the ball in the end zone.

The first half was even. As the second half wore on ISU started to roll. Their offense is very good. We will have to wait and see how good Hamilton is but he was a big factor in ISUs win. Credit to him not missed tackles by the BISON.

From where Im sitting ISU has a good football team. I dont know how they will do in the B12 but they would sure do well in the MVFC. They looked a little bigger and they might have had a step on NDSU here and there but NDSU team speed was right there.

This was our first game. Improvement from here will make NDSU a very competitive team. Right now, baring the unfortunate let downs during the season, the teams NDSU has to be keying on are UNI, SIU and SDSU.

UNIFanSince1983
September 6th, 2009, 10:43 AM
TC...your better than that....Iowa States QB is a STUD!!!! the best we have ever played against..

their O-line is pretty good also..Wr's not too bad..

Their O will put up some points this year..problem is their d is below average.

If I were a betting man I would easily put my money on Iowa St over Iowa..

After Iowa having such a close game with us this week I wouldn't take Iowa State. I hate to say it, but Iowa is better than they looked today (at least I think). I certainly wouldn't want to be the next team they have to play, and that unfortunately is the Cyclones. But don't get me wrong I will be cheering for the Cyclones as I despise the Hawkeyes so much!!

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I thought Iowa State's D looked terrible. I also thought NDSU looked about as good as they did last year. There's a lot of season left, but I think 8-3 for the Bison might be a little high after this performance.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Can't wait for UNI to come to the Fargodome. I think that will be a very tough game for UNI to win. Not many come into Fargo and escape with the W, ask SIU about last season.

UNIFanSince1983
September 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I understand where you are coming from, and I am excited/nervous for that game, but our team will not be intimidated by the FargoDome. We play indoors as well and the team will have already faced 75,000 of the loudest most raucous fans in the nation.

Good luck to the Bison for the rest of the way, except for against us obviously ;)

HoyaMetanoia
September 6th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I understand where you are coming from, and I am excited/nervous for that game, but our team will not be intimidated by the FargoDome. We play indoors as well and the team will have already faced 75,000 of the loudest most raucous fans in the nation.

Good luck to the Bison for the rest of the way, except for against us obviously ;)

Iowa fans? xlolxxlolxxlolx

MSUBear42
September 6th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Iowa fans? xlolxxlolxxlolx

Have you ever been to a game at kinnick? That place is LOUD.

BisonBohl
September 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Okay game for the Bison

Saw some bright spots but we made to many mistakes to beat a team like ISU.

Now bring on SHSU, Im sure they havent forgotten about how they left Fargo the last time we met.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2009, 02:56 PM

You shouldn't be and won't be intimidated of NDSU or the Fargodome.

You'll play a great game...and I expect many more classic NDSU/UNI games from two programs that are in the top tier of FCS.

I'll simply repeat, it will be tough for you to escape Fargo with a W.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I expect NDSU to win by 2-3 TDs at SHSU

Gil Dobie
September 6th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I expect NDSU to win by 2-3 TDs at SHSU

You have more confidence than I do Rob xeyebrowx

Gil Dobie
September 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Have you ever been to a game at kinnick? That place is LOUD.

Been there for 2 games, but it's not as loud as a game in the Metrodome, Fargodome or Allerus. I haven't been to the UNI-Dome, but I'm sure it can be loud too.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2009, 05:28 PM

I think the WIU-SHSU game is telling because both WIU and NDSU are running offenses.

Also will be interesting to see what SHSU can learn this week from the ISU game about how to score on our defense. They'll have that advantage over preparing for WIU.

I would expect another close game. But I will also expect NDSU to get the W. Hope I'm right.

If we want a chance at going 8-3 this year, we've got to beat SHSU. Going to lose at least 2 in the MVFC.

crunifan
September 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Been there for 2 games, but it's not as loud as a game in the Metrodome, Fargodome or Allerus. I haven't been to the UNI-Dome, but I'm sure it can be loud too.

While I agree. It has to be noted that Kinnick is the only one of those without metal roofs. A significant disadvantage, and quite frankly the only reason that statement is true.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM

I'll rephrase it....If NDSU is any good this year....:D

Gil Dobie
September 6th, 2009, 11:19 PM
While I agree. It has to be noted that Kinnick is the only one of those without metal roofs. A significant disadvantage, and quite frankly the only reason that statement is true.

I've been to Lambeau Field and Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, also louder than an Iowa game, but Kinnick is still a great place to watch a football game, and it does get loud.

ValleyChamp
September 6th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Sorry guys, but Iowa State is really bad, and has absolutely horrible D. They are going to get lit up all year long.