PDA

View Full Version : SLC Expansion Talks

TexasTerror
May 2nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
Ask the Southland Conference Commish for May '05 is up on the Conference web site. Lots of stuff on expansion of the conference which I am sure most of you are interested in. Should be interesting to see what happens. The Commish discusses football-playing members and other issues as the conference talks expansion with A&M-Corpus, Tarleton State and Central Arkansas.

http://southland.collegesports.com/ot/commish-diary-0505.html

blackfordpu
May 3rd, 2005, 12:49 AM
I can not see Tarleton State moving up to I-AA. They have it good where they are, the Texans should stay put. I dont know much about the other two, would they be good participants in the SLC??

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2005, 07:21 AM
I can not see Tarleton State moving up to I-AA. They have it good where they are, the Texans should stay put. I dont know much about the other two, would they be good participants in the SLC??

A&M-Corpus has a solid all-around program. They're already an affliate school of our conference, playing some tennis in which they are a top 25 program, making the SLC look pretty good on the mens' side (which is a far cry from womens' tennis). Great facility for basketball too. They just do not have football. They'd probably have to add womens' soccer and mens' golf if they came into the SLC.

Tarleton State is a solid Division II program all around as is Central Arkansas. The thing about UCA is that they are going to make the jump to I-AA regardless of what happens. I think the SLC would love to have a pressence again in Arkansas since we haven't since Arkansas State left many years ago. They have an indoor practice facility for football and in many sports, I think they can compete from the get-go, which is about what I could say for Tarleton. UCA has teams to compete in all SLC sports which is a definite plus, though they do have mens' soccer which would have to find a home elsewhere.

SLC has 10 teams (throwing out ULM). Ideally, 12 teams would be great. Schedule issues would not exist in terms of teams having a BYE week in most sports. Remember, Lamar does not have softball yet. Adding UCA would give us an 8th football school, which is what the conference wants. Another mens' tennis team would be good for the SLC as well and womens' soccer is a growing SLC sport which could use help.

I think it'll be A&M-Corpus and UCA.

arkstfan
May 3rd, 2005, 10:40 AM
Central Arkansas sources right now tell me that if the SLC says no that they may pass rather than run the Division I independent gauntlet.

They would be a great addition. Nice school, around 9,000 to 10,000 students. Football stadium would be about the smallest in the SLC but it is very nice thanks to a recent renovation. I've heard it claimed that it seats 10k (others tell me it is closer to 8,500) but also saw a crowd they announced as 10k have to mill around in the grass areas due to a lack of seats. I've heard they would likely expand it.

Basketball arena I've heard has been upgraded but I've not been in it in years. It was getting pretty shabby. Seats around 5,500.

For the Texas schools travel is easy. Hop on I-30, hang a left at I-40 in North Little Rock and drive about 35 miles. The Louisiana schools? There is no good way to get there from here absent some 2 lane roads or flying into Little Rock and making the 40 minute drive.

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
I am sure that the basketball arena is up to par with most of the arena in the conference. Our arenas aren't so pretty and aren't as shabby as I'd like. SHSU has one of the better complexes. And I believe SELA's football field sits around 8500 folks, do it wouldn't be the smallest.

txstatebobcat
May 3rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
I agree with Texas Terror that CAU and A&M-CC should be let into the SLC fold. I wonder if there is any plans for A&M-CC to start football, they would have the potential to be huge since there are no D-I football schools in South Texas.

JaxSinfonian
May 3rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
For the Texas schools travel is easy. Hop on I-30, hang a left at I-40 in North Little Rock and drive about 35 miles. The Louisiana schools? There is no good way to get there from here absent some 2 lane roads or flying into Little Rock and making the 40 minute drive.

Can't be any worse than the drive to Jacksonville or Troy was, I'll bet.

GeauxLions94
May 3rd, 2005, 11:25 PM
SLC has 10 teams (throwing out ULM). Ideally, 12 teams would be great. Schedule issues would not exist in terms of teams having a BYE week in most sports.

I think it'll be A&M-Corpus and UCA.

I agree and then hoops can go to divisional play.

Here's my vision of the future Southland Conference

SLC East - Southeastern La., Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Central Arkansas, McNeese State, Lamar

SLC West - Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Texas-Arlington, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Texas-San Antonio, Texas State

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2005, 07:42 AM
SLC East - Southeastern La., Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Central Arkansas, McNeese State, Lamar

SLC West - Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Texas-Arlington, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Texas-San Antonio, Texas State

My only issue with that is that SHSU is in the same system as Lamar (and San Marcos). These two schools have a strong rivalry and I think my moving into divisional system, it would take that away. Of course, SFA's #1 rival is Northwestern State. Unless you were able to make sure there were rivalry games, I am not sure I would like that.

The thing I do not like with the current system is you play several schools just once. I can understand why you don't play everyone twice, but I'd hate it if SHSU only played SFA once or Lamar just once. Those are great rivalries that need to be held intact in one form or another.

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2005, 07:43 AM
I agree with Texas Terror that CAU and A&M-CC should be let into the SLC fold. I wonder if there is any plans for A&M-CC to start football, they would have the potential to be huge since there are no D-I football schools in South Texas.

Not happening. A&M-CC is not going to consider football anytime soon, I just don't see it happening. I could be wrong, but I've never even read that they have given it a thought other than saying that two letter word that is the opposite of 'YES'.

TexasTerror
May 10th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Lonely Division I program truly on an island
By Michael Gluskin, USA TODAY
Dubbed "The Island University" and home to its own beach lined with palm trees, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is on an island in more than one sense.

As an independent, the school's athletics program is also separate from the mainland of college sports and searching to bridge the gap with a conference affiliation.

"We'd love to be part of a conference somewhere," says athletics director Dan Viola, who is "very much" optimistic the school will one day do that.

Despite its independent status, the program is thriving. The 25th-ranked men's tennis team makes its first appearance in the NCAA Tournament Friday against William & Mary. The men's and women's basketball teams are coming off record-setting seasons, both getting at least 20 wins. They were one of only 33 Division I schools to achieve this feat, joining the likes of Connecticut, Duke and North Carolina.

Continued...
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2005-05-10-corpus-christi_x.htm