PDA

View Full Version : 'Splain this to me

arkstfan
April 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I was looking at the press release about the tenative approval the Management Council had given for 12 game seasons and noted the vote was 7-5 for I-AA.

Flipped over to the Board of Directors roster to get a feel for how it might go.

Alcorn State's President representing the SWAC and NW State's President I'd guess probably vote in favor.

Then I got suprise #1.
The Patriot League is represented by the president of American University. Thought it was a bit odd to see them hand their football fate over to the CEO of a non-football school but figured if they trust him that works.

Then I got suprise #2.
The A-10 is represented by the president of Dayton. Talk about a guy having a conflict of interest. Selected to represent the A-10, as CEO of a Pioneer League member has an obligation to work in their best interest as well.

Now I know the Pioneer and A-10 could well agree on everything but seems odd to place someone in that position.

GannonFan
April 12th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I imagine these people are just representatives - they still take direction from the actual conferences themselves. They do and vote the way they are told.

Tailbone
April 12th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I imagine these people are just representatives - they still take direction from the actual conferences themselves. They do and vote the way they are told.

Yeah, like any politician.
Hey, They will be replacing the Brooklyn bridge next year.
I own the old one. Wanna buy it? :rolleyes:

arkstfan
April 12th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Let's watch the vote in the I-A Board of Directors. The new CUSA membership favors the 12th game by an 8-4 count but they are represented by the president of a school that opposes it.

yomama
April 12th, 2005, 12:35 PM
The A-10 is represented by the president of Dayton. Talk about a guy having a conflict of interest.

The Pioneer league is run by the Gateway commissioner. How's that for a conflict of interest?

Don't look for the Pioneer in the playoffs or on TV with her in charge.

GannonFan
April 12th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah, like any politician.
Hey, They will be replacing the Brooklyn bridge next year.
I own the old one. Wanna buy it? :rolleyes:

You forget, though, that the ability to recall someone from this post is a lot stronger and faster than it is for a politician. Firing one of these guys is relatively easy if they stray too far from what the conference wants. We'll see how the CUSA does (as another poster mentioned) and how their rep votes. I'm thinking he goes with the 8 of 12 who are in favor of it.

Pen Guin
April 12th, 2005, 10:29 PM
There really is no conflict of interest there. The PFL was controlled by the, then MCC, which is now the Horizon League. They contracted the MVC to administer the conference. The MVC sponsors both scholarshipped (Gateway) and non-scholarship (PFL) football. The MVC was very strict and did not allow women's athletics, they had another off-shoot by the name of the Gateway Collegiate Athletic Conference ... this was where the MVC had it's women's programs, as it was a women's sports conference. When the NCAA required the inclusion of women's sports in 1982, the CCAC merged with the MVC ... the CCAC became the Gateway football Conference. Simply put, the MVC does not want to share basketball royalties with money-losing football programs. However, the PFL is non-scholarshipped & does not drain funds. It is no different than the Atlantic-10 football conference, or the former Southland football conference. Those are/were separate entities from their respective conferences (the SFC mergered back to the SLC last year). The only difference is that the MVC does a much better job at remaining behind the scenes, and does not use their name.

So much for conference history 101 ... sorry to ramble.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 12th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Does it say who voted what? I'd like to see if the AU person indeed vote in favor.

yomama
April 12th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Yes, the article has been posted here many times. We are well aware of Mrs. V's life story.

My point was that she is not an advocate for the Pioneer league. Too tough to grasp, I suppose.

yomama
April 14th, 2005, 01:46 AM
When/where has she been an advocate for anything related to the PFL? Examples of topics might include playoff representation, TV, and scheduling.

What is she doing--publicly--to improve the league?

I'd like to read a positive statement from her, specifically relating to the PFL.

Do you have a link for that?

yomama
April 14th, 2005, 10:22 AM
LOL

Obviously, you couldn't find anything either.