PDA

View Full Version : Central Connecticut at Lehigh

ngineer
September 3rd, 2009, 08:05 AM
Thought I'd start this thread off for this week's upcoming game. Morning Call has an article on the Blue Devil's coach as being a Lehigh Valley native and how this will be a real homecoming for him.

In addition, revealed by HC Coen that Lehigh will have two starters out, and perhaps for more than couple weeks. LB Al Pierce (hamstring) and, now, DT Phil Winnett (sprained knee) will both not see action on Saturday. Pierce was expected, and IMO, adequately replaced by Taylor. But losing Winnett at DT is more problematic for the Mountain Hawks in light of CCSU's vaunted running game. Luckily, it appears Coen has created some depth on the DL, so the drop off from Winnett, is somewhat unknown, but for the first game a legitimate concern.

WR Potocnie, local kid from Whitehall, expected to see action with various packages involving 6 WRs during course of the game. Jay Campbell will be the surprising starter at TB. He's had a very good camp and this is his reward. I still expect to see Walker a fair amount of the time as well. Coen can keep them both rested. Nice to have some depth.

aceinthehole
September 3rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
A very good article in the Morning Call about CCSU's head coach.
http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/all-s-grollercol.7007726sep03,0,4350772.story

''I love that area, something's special about that place,'' he said of the Valley. ''I'm so happy we were able to get this game. We called a bunch of Patriot League teams and couldn't get anyone to play us. It turns out Lehigh needed a game to fill out its schedule. I am deeply appreciative of [Lehigh coach] Andy Coen for making this happen.''

McInerney's parents (Dennis and Peggy) are Wilson Area High School graduates, and although he moved with his family to Illinois at age 6, he made a lot of trips back here and spent a few summers with his grandparents, who lived in Bethlehem Township.

He had an uncle who played at Lehigh and he remembers attending Lehigh's playoff game against New Hampshire in the 1975 NCAA Division II tournament.

''I was a Lehigh fan,'' he said. ''I've been to eight Lehigh-Lafayette games. I've also been to many Liberty-Becahi high school games, which were usually held on the opening night of the season, and Easton-P'burg games on Thanksgiving. I always rooted for Lehigh, Becahi and Easton in those games.''

The Blue Devils are led by preseason All-American running back James Mallory, who rushed for 1,520 yards in 2008. Thanks to him and senior center Anthony Pineiro, CCSU has been ranked among the nation's top-10 FCS rushing teams each of the past three seasons, finishing seventh last year.

''If we can be a multiple threat, we can be a handful,'' McInerney said. ''We've just got to throw the ball down the field better.''

McInerney said his grandfather is buried just seven miles away from Goodman Stadium. He expects to shed at tear at some point on Saturday.

Lehigh fans can only hope those are not tears of joy after what would be a huge CCSU win and a devastating season-opening loss for the Mountain Hawks.

''I'll root for Lehigh every other week, but not this one,'' McInerney said. ''It will still be nice to be back there.''

ngineer
September 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for posting the link to the Morning Call article. I have trouble with doing that stuff.:o I thought it was very good article as well.

Weather for Saturday is Sunny and 84 F. Actually, a little too warm for my liking, but at least not the monsoons we've experienced over the past couple years.xcoolx

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Looks like a good matchup.

ngineer
September 4th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Any Blue Devils out there making the trip to Goodman, tomorrow?? Let me know. We're a 'fan friendly' place...xnodx

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Good throw to get that in there

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I think Lehigh has a big advantage in the trenches. Lehigh's OL should be able to push around a small CCSU front 4. Even CCSU OL is rather small. Coen has really done a good job building up his lines which is what i think will be the difference this year.

Lehigh's OL 6'3 291
CCSU DL 6'2 229

CCSU's OL 6'3 279
Lehigh's DL 6'1 290

Lehigh should be able to run the Devils in to the ground.

RichH2
September 5th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Been waiting all year,now Iam happy but wishing we were opening with an easier opponent. The annual Lehigh nerves have started for me. Have we turned the corner? CCSU will be tough. On paper we should wear them down in the 2nd half. We are deeper , bigger and faster but will we perform. I should be on my 2nd gin and tonic by kickoff.

ngineer
September 5th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I think Lehigh has a big advantage in the trenches. Lehigh's OL should be able to push around a small CCSU front 4. Even CCSU OL is rather small. Coen has really done a good job building up his lines which is what i think will be the difference this year.

Lehigh's OL 6'3 291
CCSU DL 6'2 229

CCSU's OL 6'3 279
Lehigh's DL 6'1 290

Lehigh should be able to run the Devils in to the ground.

Size can be off set by quickness and speed, depending on the schemes. I certainly hope you are right, but size will only 'wear down' the opposition in the second half if the 'big uglies' are in shape.
I was in a game many years ago, where our line was outweighed by about 50 lbs/man. In the second half, on a hot September day, the big boys were worn out and our 'little guys' were running circles around them.

ngineer
September 5th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Well, I'm getting ready to head out to Goodman. Any Blue Devils attending, look me up in Section WF--you too, LFN!

aceinthehole
September 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Two articles from CCSU's beat writer.

NEW BRITAIN — In most sports, the season opener is a chance to get your feet wet. In pro football it’s important, but there’s plenty of time to fix things if you start 0-1. In college football, a season can change in the first three hours.

Central Connecticut’s quest to win the Northeast Conference will not be affected by its opener against Lehigh (today, 12:30 p.m.), but the Blue Devils have been talking quite a bit about their dream of making the FCS playoffs this season. And those hopes are largely dependant on getting a big road win. Several of them in fact.http://www.newbritainherald.com/articles/2009/09/04/sports/doc4aa1c83531a4d038246998.txt

NEW BRITAIN — The Central Connecticut football team believes the 71st season in program history has a chance to be the best.

And there’s plenty of evidence to support the Blue Devils’ claims.

More than half of the team’s 22 starters from 2008 are returning. The offense, just about completely intact from last year, looks to be explosive as it ever has under coach Jeff McInerney. Most of the key games on the schedule take place at Arute Field.

But there are also the same two reasons for doom and gloom that there have been for the last couple of seasons: Albany and Monmouth.http://www.newbritainherald.com/articles/2009/09/04/sports/doc4aa1c8bcadb7a814242137.txt

Fordham
September 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Good luck, Engineers! Do the PL proud!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Just got home from the game. All you can do is just laugh at this point. I drank the improvement kool-aid like a lot of Lehigh fans did. CCSU should have won this game by 4 TD's. The Blue Devils are pretty solid but i don't know if their one of the Top 40 teams in FCS. That pretty much says where the Hawks are at this point. Although as whole the PL definitely stinks. Lehigh gained momentum last year by beating up on their fellow have nots.

The biggest thing with Lehigh is nothing ever changes. The same things that have been hampering them for 4 years continue to do so. Also the player development is terrible. There have been so few players that have improved under Coens leadership is rediculous. The good players as soph are good players when their sr's and the average ones remain average. No one seems to get any better. There was so much optimism and promise heading in to this season and now an 0-4 start seems quite possible.

Dane96
September 5th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Congrats to our NEC brothers...nicely done!

I know this will likely be my Albany hex for tonight, but....a certain someone on this board should have a nice portion of crow. 228 yards rushing.....that is running it down another teams throat when you consider CCSU also put up 177 in the air.
I think I got jumped on pretty hard by someone who stated CCSU couldnt run on Lehigh...and it would be a double-digit Lehigh win.

RichH2
September 5th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Why was Clark so bad? Him or new wrs? Where di D go?

Depressing to note that this is our 10th loss by less than a td since Coen took over. No doubt we will improve for next week. Still going to be 0-2 with 2 butt kickings. Can he rally this team for the league games?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Congrats to our NEC brothers...nicely done!

I know this will likely be my Albany hex for tonight, but....a certain someone on this board should have a nice portion of crow. 228 yards rushing.....that is running it down another teams throat when you consider CCSU also put up 177 in the air.
I think I got jumped on pretty hard by someone who stated CCSU couldnt run on Lehigh...and it would be a double-digit Lehigh win.

CCSU took advantage of in inept Lehigh offense. Lehigh's "D" held up pretty well considering they were on the field almost the entire game in 88* weather. CCSU had a 43 to 16 minute time of possesion edge.

This game was one of the worst offensive perfomances i've seen in a long long time. If Lehigh does anything at all on defense CCSU doesn't get all those rushing yards. They were almost by default. Those 228 yards came on 66 carries which really isn't that bad.

Go...gate
September 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM
43 - 16 possession deficit? WTH happened?

Hoyadestroya85
September 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM
That's just deflating, I was shocked when I saw it. Is it safe to say that if the Hawks lose to Lafayette that Coen is out of a job?

Dane96
September 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM
CCSU took advantage of in inept Lehigh offense. Lehigh's "D" held up pretty well considering they were on the field almost the entire game in 88* weather. CCSU had a 43 to 16 minute time of possesion edge.

This game was one of the worst offensive perfomances i've seen in a long long time. If Lehigh does anything at all on defense CCSU doesn't get all those rushing yards. They were almost by default. Those 228 yards came on 66 carries which really isn't that bad.

So..this had nothing to do with the fact that CCSU is one of the better rushing attacks in the nation? Nothing to do with maybe...just maybe...CCSU is just simply better than Lehigh. This has nothing to do with CCSU being a solid defensive squad?

RichH2
September 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
when your qb is 7-29 with 3 ints not much good will happen. Most of the meager passing yardage was on 1 long pass to Drwal

dgreco
September 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM
great win for CCSU!

RichH2
September 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Dane no one is saying CCSU is not good ,they are a good team. CCSU D OK but not great, LU O s/b good it was not. Put the 2 together and we get our butts kicked. Even tho only 1 td difference LU never in the game in the 2nd half

Hoyadestroya85
September 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
So this happens to Lehigh then next week you'll face the team that could very well be ranked number 1 in the country.. yeesh. I thought your QB really turned a corner after the Nova game last year?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM
So..this had nothing to do with the fact that CCSU is one of the better rushing attacks in the nation? Nothing to do with maybe...just maybe...CCSU is just simply better than Lehigh. This has nothing to do with CCSU being a solid defensive squad?

228 yards on 66 carries isn't that great when that's your strength. Given the TOP and heat i think Lehigh's "D" did pretty well against the run. In fact in the 4th quarter when CCSU was trying to chew up clock running the ball they couldn't do it. Lehigh's offense was just soo terrible with help from the Blue Devils "D" that CCSU just had to keep the clock moving to put the Hawks out of their misery.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Dane no one is saying CCSU is not good ,they are a good team. CCSU D OK but not great, LU O s/b good it was not. Put the 2 together and we get our butts kicked. Even tho only 1 td difference LU never in the game in the 2nd half

Actually if Clark doesn't wait forever to hit the TE in the endzone maybe Lehigh wins the game. That was just a horrible throw. The guy was so wide open that Clark was litterally a day late with the ball so it got intercepted.

RichH2
September 5th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Clark was that bad? Damn . Why is it that players with Coen either dont improve as Owl opines or retrogress. Mood swings at my age are dangerous.xnodx Well perhaps we'll improve overthe next 2-3games xwhistlex

Justwatched Coen's post game . . His major complaint was that both O and D were man handled. and that CCSU was more athletic. Damn I'm even more pi**ed now. Also implied that LU needed a better scheme than today's game. Huh? Back to team was not prepared and Trey needs to get his act together.

Dane96
September 5th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Rich...my comments are from earlier in the week when a certain someone bascially told us this game was a cakewalk for Lehigh...by double figures.

RichH2
September 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Ok, well he was wrong. Soon we'll be posting how we can catch up to the NEC teams. Heck, I already did:(. Good luck this year

Dane96
September 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Good luck to you as well!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Boy that was painful.

ngineer
September 5th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Well I was there today and it was a screwy game with all the turnovers--5 in the first quarter.

First, congratulations to CCSU. They are for real. A very athletic squad and, imo, in much better shape. I said earlier in this thread that I would take a smaller, quicker line than behemoths who were not in shape, and indeed, the Blue Devil's line was beating ours to the punch consistently. Whoever controls the LOS wins.

Second, the Lehigh offense was horrific. We came out 'bombs away' and didn't even attempt a running game, plus what little we ran were not 'quick openers' but plays that took too long to develop. Walker ran hard when he had a few opportunities. I have not cared for Trey Brown as the OC since he arrived and he continually pisses me off with his play calling.

Third, Clark was horrible. He was forcing passes into coverage and the last int was unbelieveable. The TE was so wide open I was yelling "There it is" from the moment the play began. That was the ballgame. We score, we go up 28-21, lead for the first time and would have given the D a big lift. Instead, CC gets the int and shoves it down our throat for 80 yards to go up 28-21. Lum was warming up when CCSU had the ball with about 6 min to go, and had we gotten the ball quickly, I think he would have come in. But Blue Devils did a great job of controlling the clock.

Fourth, Stupidity. John Kennedy picks up a fumble and starts a long return down the far sideline with only one defender back. He gets taken down inside CCSU 40 for great field position. Flag---one of our players was called for an illegal block 20 yards BEHIND the play!! We get the ball back at our 25.xsmhx

Fifth, defense was credible. They were called upon too many times to defend a short field given to CC. Six visits into the Red Zone, only two scores. Not too bad. At the same time, they never made adjustment to the option. You cannot string it out--you must ATTACK the QB and force the early pitch, which can lead to TOs. CCSU was masterful in running the option.

Sixth--A couple silver linings: We do have some nice skill people. Kennedy was fantastic with his returns, as was Zurn. Our PK showed a nice leg and accuracy. Excellent KO's -good hang time and inside the 5 yard line consistently. Smith after first two mediocre punts a couple around 50 with good hang time. No major injuries seemed to occur during the game.

Besides being outplayed, I also think we were outcoached today. Blue Devils seemed to know more of what they were doing than we did. Confusion caused a "too many players on the field" penalty that turned a fourth down situation into a first down for CCSU.

Villanova should be salivating. Indeed, perhaps this is all a grand plan to lull the Wildcats into taking us lightly. I surely would. Clark really appeared to turn the corner last year in the second half. He was really baptized last year at Villanova so maybe he'll come out with a 'something to prove' attitude. Indeed, I think the entire team needs to have that attitude. We will certainly be huge underdogs, now. I would expect a 35 point spread by the prognosticators.

CCSU is a good team. Very athletic. I can see why they beat GSU a couple years back. This should also continue to the WAKE UP call to the PL that scholarships are needed. This is a program that we manhandled, 58-10, eight years ago. With Rhode Island running over Fordham today and Holy Cross struggling with Georgetown, the PL Poohbahs should see the handwriting on the wall. Either they decide to do "IT" or decide to join the Ivy League and forget about trying to compete for a national title. I am tired....Good Luck Blue Devils. The playoffs should be within your grasp this year.

LehighFan11
September 5th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Well the Patriot League is officially a joke. Lehigh had no business even being on the same field today. I just can't wait for Patriot League play to start because sadly enough that terrible team on the field can still compete for the PL title. Haha.

Take Nova and give whatever the spread will be next week.

RichH2
September 5th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Nice, if depressing review ofthe debacle, thanks ngineer. Trey does seem to start each yr with a stick up his rear. Evident not much thought and less respect for CCSU went into O gameplan for LU. Nothing like having a bunch of fat out of shape LM to start the season. Perhaps Nova will motivate this team. I still think we will get creamed unless Nova approaches us like we approached CCSU.

This week may indeed prove the lowering PL quality vs NEC or any other league except PFL and we haven't done that well against them either.

Anovafan
September 5th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I think a few years back Lehigh lost its opener to Albany and traveled down to the Main Line and proceeded to kicked Nova's butt. Regardless of this week's outcome, anything can happen next week. I would hope Nova is the better team, but there is a reason they play the games.

hawkineer
September 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I was at the Villanova - Temple game Thursday night. Believe me when I say that the spread between Villanova and Lehigh is soooooo wide in both talent and coaching that they can't take Lehigh lightly enough to make the game respectable short of suiting up the VU cheerleaders.xsmhx

ngineer
September 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I think a few years back Lehigh lost its opener to Albany and traveled down to the Main Line and proceeded to kicked Nova's butt. Regardless of this week's outcome, anything can happen next week. I would hope Nova is the better team, but there is a reason they play the games.

That is correct. And I think 'Nova did take us lightly that year, but at the same time, 'Nova wasn't as good as they are this year. And also true, that sometimes these opening game debacles are not good barometers of either how good or how bad a team is. Indeed, the common thought is the quality of a team is revealed in how improved they are from week 1 to week 2. All things being equal, Lehigh would need to be plus 4 or 5 in the turnover battle to upset the Wildcats. A heculean effort will definitely be needed.

aceinthehole
September 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM
MARK IT DOWN!!!! :)

aceinthehole
September 5th, 2009, 10:29 PM
From Lehigh's hometown paper:

Using a potent option running attack, Central Connecticut State ran through, around and past Lehigh on Saturday at Goodman Stadium, stunning the Mountain Hawks 28-21 in a nonleague college football opener at Goodman Stadium.

Dominating on the ground 233 yards to 62, CCSU spoiled Lehigh's 2009 season opener, but gave its coach Jeff McInerney a happy return trip to where he was born and where he still has family and friends.

Lehigh, bogged down by three interceptions, never led as CCSU had leads of 7-0, 14-7 and 21-14 with the Mountain Hawks coming back to tie each time.

However, Lehigh had no answer after Josue Paul went 40 yards on a screen pass from Hunter Wanket for the final score of the game with 1:26 left in the third period.

CCSU dominated in total yards, 410-184, and in time of possession, 43 minutes to 17.
The Blue Devils got a big day from James Mallory, who rushed for 121 yards on 30 carries.

blukeys
September 5th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Looks as if that coach that escaped down to Elon wasn't so bad after all.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM
After sitting back and looking at it this was just a bad football game. If you're CCSU you have to be thinking we completely dominated the game and yet still could of lost. If you're Lehigh it's we played so horrendous and yet some how could have won. CCSU had a ton of mistakes as well but they were able to overcome them just enough to survive.

I was the one that said i thought Lehigh had a chance to win by 10. Based on preseason predictions it was not unfounded. CCSU was picked i believe 3rd in the NEC Lehigh 3rd in the PL. Both teams had a lot of promise and Lehigh was at home. The preseason #4 PL team beat the #2 NEC team by 12 tonight.

Based on what i saw today both teams are in a world of trouble next week. CCSU is pretty good but they are still too undersized to compete with the top 20 teams right now. Albany i believe has the best combo of size and speed in the NEC.

aceinthehole
September 5th, 2009, 10:47 PM
After sitting back and looking at it this was just a bad football game. If you're CCSU you have to be thinking we completely dominated the game and yet still could of lost. If you're Lehigh it's we played so horrendous and yet some how could have won. CCSU have a ton of mistakes as well but they were able to overcome them just enough to survive.

I was the one that said i thought Lehigh had a chance to win by 10. Based on preseason predictions it was not unfounded. CCSU was picked i believe 3rd in the NEC Lehigh 3rd in the PL. Both teams had a lot of promise and Lehigh was at home. The preseason #4 PL team beat the #2 NEC team by 12 tonight.

Based on what i saw today both teams are in a world of trouble next week.

No doubt, CCSU has a lot to work on. And as well as the stats are for CCSU, a lot of that was because LU was so bad, not that CCSU was great.

But fact that CCSU showed a passing game, while maintaining a dominat rushing attack is good news for CCSU fans. If CCSU wasn't 2 for 6 in the redzone, this would have been a blowout.

We were rusty early, but were a better prepared and more talent team than Lehigh, period. Read your local papers and listen to your local radio. Everyone knows LU was out played and was lucky the score was close.

Now I don't think our D is ready for W&M, but CCSU feels 100% better about their season than LU does.

Let's not sugar coat this. LU was beaten sound;y and there is very little positive to pull from this game, especially on offense. Your D was solid, but got worn down due to the TOP. But that O is horrible, especially considering our D is good, but not great.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM
No doubt, CCSU has a lot to work on. And as well as the stats are for CCSU, a lot of that was because LU was so bad, not that CCSU was great.

But fact that CCSU showed a passing game, while maintaining a dominat rushing attack is good news for CCSU fans. If CCSU wasn't 2 for 6 in the redzone, this would have been a blowout.

We were rusty early, but were a better prepared and more talent team than Lehigh, period. Read your local papers and lsiten to your local radio. Everyone knows LU was out played and was lucky the score was close.

Now I don't think our D is ready for W&M, but I CCSU feels 100% better about their season than LU does.

Let's not sugar coat this. LU was beaten sound;y and there is very little positive to pull from this game, especially on offense. Your D was solid, but got worn down due to the TOP. But that O is horrible, especially considering our D is good, but not great.

The thing from a Lehigh perspective is the talent deal. All you hear from the coaches and even media is that there is talent on this team and a good amount. Lehigh had a few guys that were mentioned in all american polls, more so than CCSU. Something just isn't adding up. Either their telling fairly tales about the talent level or it isn't being developed or used properly. Based on what i saw, Lehigh has good size and decent speed but god awful execution. CCSU players excecuted their responsibilities 100x better.

I'm still not buying 226 yards on 66 carries is dominant, especially against a worn out "D". I'd say it's impressive in a persistance aspect, 66 rushing attempts is a ton of carries. I think what was most impressive is the CCSU never left what they did when things did get bumpy.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 6th, 2009, 12:10 AM
My game summary is up:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/09/lehigh-21-ccsu-28-final.html

What a hard summary to write. I think what sums it up best is the following:

Give CCSU credit. They came to Lehigh to play Central Connecticut State football. And they did. Well. And Lehigh was unable - or unwilling - to play CCSU football. And as a result, Lehigh lost.

aceinthehole
September 6th, 2009, 08:14 PM
From the Morning Call blog:

1. The message boards can't be too pleasant today for Lehigh fans who were optimistic about the 2009 season. Central Connecticut State is better than most people think, but still, that was domination by the Blue Devils. I've made lots of people cry in my career, usually unintentionally, but I've never seen a college football coach get as emotional as CCSU coach Jeff McInerney did after that game. The Lehigh Valley Tourist and Visitors Bureau should hire him because he loves this area more than a lot of people who live here.

aceinthehole
September 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM
The thing from a Lehigh perspective is the talent deal. All you hear from the coaches and even media is that there is talent on this team and a good amount. Lehigh had a few guys that were mentioned in all american polls, more so than CCSU. Something just isn't adding up. Either their telling fairly tales about the talent level or it isn't being developed or used properly. Based on what i saw, Lehigh has good size and decent speed but god awful execution. CCSU players excecuted thier responsibilities 100x better.

I'm still not buying 226 yards on 66 carries is dominant, especially against a worn out "D". I'd say it's impressive in a persistance aspect, 66 rushing attempts is a ton of carries. I think what was most impressive is the CCSU never left what they did when things did get bumpy.

You are wearing rose-colored glasses. Those preseason teams are biased against non-AQ conferences. Did you listen to the Lehigh post game radio show? Your own commenators said that CCSU's players were more talanted than Lehigh. They said that to Josue Paul (40 yrd TD rec) was too fast for your own "fast CBs." Our O-line pushed your guys around. We were able to get to the outside with speed.

Look at how many turnovers CCSU had (we were -1 in TO for the day). That is not an excuse. We gave the ball to you 4 times (3 lost fumbles and 1 INT)! We didn't play anywhere near to perfect ball and we still dominated the game. We made mistakes and were BY FAR the better, more talented team. Its time for Lehigh Nation to start to eat some crow and stop making excuses for losing to CCSU.

Please explain LU's 11 first downs and 64 yrds team rushing. That is weak!

ngineer
September 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
You are wearing rose-colored glasses. Those preseason teams are biased against non-AQ conferences. Did you listen to the Lehigh post game radio show? Your own commenators said that CCSU's players were more talanted than Lehigh. They said that to Josue Paul (40 yrd TD rec) was too fast for your own "fast CBs." Our O-line pushed your guys around. We were able to get to the outside with speed.

Look at how many turnovers CCSU had (we were -1 in TO for the day). That is not an excuse. We gave the ball to you 4 times (3 lost fumbles and 1 INT)! We didn't play anywhere near to perfect ball and we still dominated the game. We made mistakes and were BY FAR the better, more talented team. Its time for Lehigh Nation to start to eat some crow and stop making excuses for losing to CCSU.Please explain LU's 11 first downs and 64 yrds team rushing. That is weak!

Who the hell is making excuses?! Everyone I see posting has said how CCSU beat us in every phase of the game (except special teams). We've talked about how quicker your line was off the ball, the execution of your offense outshined ours by far. Where are the excuses? What I see are LU fans complaining about a performance that was somewhat shocking based on the rosie reports that were being blown up our butts for several weeks. Now, maybe, our team will right itself and by mid-season show that we are a lot better. Many teams have laid first game eggs to go on and have excellent seasons. We are just very puzzled at this juncture as to what we saw on Saturday, because it didn't add up from what many were saying. But no where have I seen anyone blame this loss on the refs, or injuries or weather or such alibis. I think the Blue Devils might have to learn how to win...xcoolx

RichH2
September 7th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Ace please enjoy your win but try to realize that we really only care how well or badly Lehigh played not how well CCSU performed. Feel free to pat yourself on the back but dont expect us to do so for you.

whoanellie
September 7th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Looks as if that coach that escaped down to Elon wasn't so bad after all. I concur. 4th year into the program We could not be happier.

ngineer
September 7th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I concur. 4th year into the program We could not be happier.

Pete is a smart guy and I think he saw the handwriting on the wall with the way the PL was gradually losing competitiveness in being able to recruit without scholarships. His timing was perfect in having an opening at a school he was comfortable with in terms of academics, but also the ability to recruit with merit based aid. However, don't fall in love with him, as I strongly believe he will be on to 'greener' pastures in the not too distant future. That's the nature of a college football coach on the rise.

aceinthehole
September 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Ace please enjoy your win but try to realize that we really only care how well or badly Lehigh played not how well CCSU performed. Feel free to pat yourself on the back but dont expect us to do so for you.

That's not what I expect, I do hope LU fans recover. Just after reading the PL week 1 picks and a certain fans comments that it was a "lock" to win, I'm just smiling. It pretty enjoyable to watch many written words come back to haunt them.

That being said, I have say the game day experience at Goodman was fantastic. That stadium is first class, the food was great, and the view and weather was perfect. It was FCS at its best.

Lehigh is a program that has the right pieces. Our coach was gushing about Lehigh's history and the people of the Valley. I just like the fact that some fans have a lot words to swallow :)

RichH2
September 7th, 2009, 10:56 AM
True that, swallowing is a bitch but it goes with the game.Goodluck the rest of theyear

LUHawker
September 7th, 2009, 08:40 PM
MARK IT DOWN!!!! :)

That was me. I didn't see the game as I was celebrating my decade anniversary with the Mrs. However, based on the reviews and comments here and elsewhere Lehigh was terrible and CCSU was the real deal. My optimism was clearly misplaced. I expected LU offense to be substantially better than they showed.

Hats off to the Blue Devils. Good thing I'm not a professional sports bettor.

My patience with Coen and OC Trey Brown are withering.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Franks Tanks
September 7th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Well the Patriot League is officially a joke. Lehigh had no business even being on the same field today. I just can't wait for Patriot League play to start because sadly enough that terrible team on the field can still compete for the PL title. Haha.

Take Nova and give whatever the spread will be next week.

Dont confuse Lehigh's failure with the league being a joke. Yes Lehigh was dominated, but Lehigh may prove to be a cellar dwellar in the PL this year-- its too early to make such judgements on one game

ngineer
September 7th, 2009, 08:47 PM
That was me. I didn't see the game as I was celebrating my decade anniversary with the Mrs. However, based on the reviews and comments here and elsewhere Lehigh was terrible and CCSU was the real deal. My optimism was clearly misplaced. I expected LU offense to be substantially better than they showed.

Hats off to the Blue Devils. Good thing I'm not a professional sports bettor.

My patience with Coen and OC Trey Brown are withering.

Good luck the rest of the way.

I still like Andy Coen and think he can be a good HC. I think he does a very good job recruiting, and he is an upfront type guy. I am afraid that loyalties to assistants--some who he brought in--may get in the way. I have been disgruntled about Brown's play calling since year one. He is young, but supposedly, a guy on the rise where he worked under Coen who was the OC. IMO, if the offense does not get turned around, a certain head should roll.

ngineer
September 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Dont confuse Lehigh's failure with the league being a joke. Yes Lehigh was dominated, but Lehigh may prove to be a cellar dwellar in the PL this year-- its too early to make such judgements on one game

Yes, people should take a step back from the ledge....at least for the next three weeks. All teams can lay rotten eggs, and this stunk pretty bad. But I would expect to see the team bounce back and with the challenge now facing them. It may not translate into a win this coming Saturday, but I want to see us competing and being 'in the game' to the extent where a couple breaks or turnovers could cause a shock. VU still has to show up an execute. I fully expect them to do so, now that they have set the table for themselves with their win over Temple. After that, we'll have a bye, and depending on the outcome of the VU game a good time for some self-analysis by everyone. After that will be Princeton at Goodman and from there on into #145 will be the tale of this team.

Go...gate
September 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Pete is a smart guy and I think he saw the handwriting on the wall with the way the PL was gradually losing competitiveness in being able to recruit without scholarships. His timing was perfect in having an opening at a school he was comfortable with in terms of academics, but also the ability to recruit with merit based aid. However, don't fall in love with him, as I strongly believe he will be on to 'greener' pastures in the not too distant future. That's the nature of a college football coach on the rise.

Regrettably, he appears to be right. It's frustrating.