PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Furman

ASU Kep
December 10th, 2005, 04:56 PM
After my previous posts, I figured this is the least I could do. Furman played a great game, they are a great team, and either team could have won today. As I've stated earlier, if Furman had won, I would have been in Chatty cheering them on. I hope any Furman fans that can make it will do that same for App! Great season, guys. It sucks that we could not have met in the finals. SO-GONE no more, eh?

Bronco
December 10th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Both games made me proud to be a 1-AA fan...good job by all teams.

LacesOut
December 10th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Great game. Congrats to both teams for making it that far. Here is an extra rah rah sis boom bah for App State. Didn't think they could get it done with the backup QB.

catamount man
December 10th, 2005, 07:27 PM
WCU went 1-1 against both teams so both teams efforts today made me all the more proud to call these teams my fellow SoCon brothers and my favorite rivals! Good luck in 'nooga you Mounties! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

HiHiYikas
December 10th, 2005, 08:39 PM
And thanks, Furman, for traveling so well. Seeing all that Purple at KBS kinda creeped me out, but you guys deserve credit for helping us break our all-time home attendance record by less that 1,000.

15,307 is the official attendance number from the goasu.com article, besting the 14,621 who came for ASU/Marshall in the 87 semis.

yosefcity
December 10th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Hey Great Game Furman.

AppStateSVX
December 10th, 2005, 11:16 PM
And thanks, Furman, for traveling so well. Seeing all that Purple at KBS kinda creeped me out, but you guys deserve credit for helping us break our all-time home attendance record by less that 1,000.

15,307 is the official attendance number from the goasu.com article, besting the 14,621 who came for ASU/Marshall in the 87 semis.

Yeah, I was amazed at how many of you showed up, It made the atmosphere of KBS all the better. You guys sure made a lot of noise today. Furman has very classy fans I noticed as well, many of them came up to me after I got done running around with the mob and gave congrats. Wow, what a great day, I can only imagine what Chatty will be like!!!!

jbuggASU
December 11th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Big up's Furman! :hurray:

SoCon48
December 11th, 2005, 12:28 PM

EXACTLY!!

ravens
December 11th, 2005, 12:30 PM
That classless act would have worked at Furman, IMOP.
Got him 15 yards which were inconsequential and a likely letter form the SoCon.
Ingles is a great QB and the RB is really good. But IMOP, Lamb is only slightly above average as a coach.

I thought the two games this weekend were GREAT. Not so sure I like what Bailiff and Lamb showed of 1-AA coaches to national television. :confused:

AppIAA
December 11th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I am sure I am going to look like an idiot, but what exactly did Lamb do? I was on the sidelines ready to rush and did not have any view of Lamb or the Furman sidelines. I know he was arguing over the call of the fumble, but what made it so horrible?

LarryBoy
December 11th, 2005, 01:05 PM
He argued the call pretty intensely, and for a while.

But if your season ended on such a close call, wouldn't you be upset about it? Not saying I condone it, but I can understand why Bobby was steaming so much.

ravens
December 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I am sure I am going to look like an idiot, but what exactly did Lamb do? I was on the sidelines ready to rush and did not have any view of Lamb or the Furman sidelines. I know he was arguing over the call of the fumble, but what made it so horrible?

Unsportsmanlike penalty for standing in middle of field preventing game from continuing.

AppIAA
December 11th, 2005, 01:09 PM

But if your season ended on such a close call, wouldn't you be upset about it? Not saying I condone it, but I can understand why Bobby was steaming so much.

Is that why it took so damn long for us to be able to rush the field. There were a little over 13 seconds left, that seemed like it took about 5 minutes to be able to rush. I figured it was a TV timeout was happening...

Off topic, but the funniest thing i saw while rushing (although very classless IMO), was three App Students trying to take away the huge banner that said "Beat App St"... What made it funny was at the time they were trying to pry it away from the Furman fans, two cops came up and the App fans ran like nothing happened..

yosefcity
December 11th, 2005, 01:32 PM
After the game I told coach lamb good game and he was like thaaaaanks. With a sad face. It was funny IMO.

AppIAA
December 11th, 2005, 01:42 PM
While carrying one of the goalposts back to the stadium after an hour of parading around Boone with it (included going through the Student Union, Library, and cafeteria), we walked by the Furman bus which had all the players and coaches loaded up to go. And the classless bastards carrying (i was behind taking pictures for The Appalachian) the post started chanting "****** Furman" and a player came off wanting to attack them. Luckily the coaches were there to hold him back or we would have a national headline on our hands. Then a coach (not sure which one) came out and called them all hicks and said "win with some class, you have a great team, but win with class". I proceded to go talk to the coaches and the player apologizing for the scene saying not all App fans are like that and they played one hell of a game and reached out my hand to give them a hand shake. They would not accept this apology or shake my hand which i felt was just as classless.. But i guess if I had a group of 50 fans of the team that just beat me telling my team to ****** off, i dont think I would be appreciative of an apology either.

ravens
December 11th, 2005, 01:45 PM
by the Furman bus which had all the players and coaches loaded up to go. And the classless bastards carrying (i was behind taking pictures for The Appalachian) the post started chanting "****** Furman" and a player came off wanting to attack them. Luckily the coaches were there to hold him back or we would have a national headline on our hands. Then a coach (not sure which one) came out and called them all hicks and said "win with some class, you have a great team, but win with class". I proceded to go talk to the coaches and the player apologizing for the scene saying not all App fans are like that and they played one hell of a game and reached out my hand to give them a hand shake. They would not accept this apology or shake my hand which i felt was just as classless.. But i guess if I had a group of 50 fans of the team that just beat me telling my team to ****** off, i dont think I would be appreciative of an apology either.
did you ask coach lamb to lose with some class? :boring:

AppIAA
December 11th, 2005, 01:50 PM
no.. it wasnt lamb that was out there nor did i know about the lamb situation until about 30 minutes ago..

Saint3333
December 11th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Coach Moore definitely would not have acted in that manner.

The signs the Furman fans brought to the game were equally as classy as those students chanting profanity. Every school has these fans...

Thanks to the 99% of classy Furman fans that made the trip and the ones that wished us good luck as I left the stadium.

LarryBoy
December 11th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Yeah, the postgame experience was a mess. I was already sick to the point of throwing up (not from disappointment, but because of some evil virus I've caught), and a fair number of App students apparently wanted to make sure that my experience in Boone was as bad as possible. I'm glad I'm a laid back person, otherwise, I would have acted on my desire to pummel someone.

As a student at Furman, I know that we have our fair share of idiots, and it doesn't surprise me to hear that some of you had some run-ins with them. On behalf of the non-idiots at Furman, I apologize.

I'm also not surprised that some of the coaches behaved the way they did. I'm very disappointed, but I'm not surprised. The coaching staff's hatred of Boone is probably getting exponentially bigger with each game. Bobby gets fired up pretty easily, and with the media and the fans on his back for his Boone trouble, yesterday was probably pretty nightmarish.

fuEMO
December 11th, 2005, 11:22 PM
That classless act would have worked at Furman, IMOP.
Got him 15 yards which were inconsequential and a likely letter form the SoCon.
Ingles is a great QB and the RB is really good. But IMOP, Lamb is only slightly above average as a coach.

I have to back Lamb up here, in his 4 years of coaching we have been in the playoffs 3 of those years. We have gone from a one and out, to a two and out to this season and a loss in the semis. Bobby has greatly improved recruiting at Furman, we used to get pummeled sideline to sideline by GSU, that has been fixed. Now with the success of APP in the spread option formation, I would look for Furman to recruit more physical, cover corners–which they are. Furman's best teams under BL are to come, if we haven't won a IAA championship in the next 3 years, I might agree with you. I give Coach Moore alot of props, he's been around a long time he has adjusted his coaching to his players abilities. BL is a risk taker, sometimes in a big way on offense, but I like the fact that he has some fire. I saw a Furman team hitting the way we used to under Sheridan, I think BL has alot to do with that. Bobby will mature and settle down with more experience and he just has to get over this haunted house on the hill thing, the media and the fans will play this thing up until Furman does a butt-kickin on the mountain. That day will come, I can't wait to see you guys again next October. Good Luck Friday.

B&G
December 11th, 2005, 11:37 PM
I think Bobby Lamb might be better off if he weren't coaching in the SoCon where he also played. It seems to make him coach with too much emotion. He takes the games more personally and now I think the Boone trips are totally in his head.

I have been a big BL critic in the past but I think he called a good game against ASU this weekend. I do think he tends to get too cute at times. Is he contractually obligated to run at least one WR Reverse play per game?

Unfortunately, there are assholes in all walks of life. A lot of them are football fans. And they always sit around me at the App/Furman games. It's gotten to be such a heated rivalry that I think it brings out the worst in some of the fans.

Quattro
December 12th, 2005, 12:30 AM
My Dad came to the game with me and usually when we watch games together we are students of the game. Although we (App) didn't do much to stop furman, he and I both called about 70% of their plays before the snap. Furman's offense, with the exception of the trick plays, is very predictable. You always knew on short yardage that if was going to Felton (which was the right call 99% of the time, minus the 4th and goal). And, on 3rd and long you knew that Ingle was going for a roll-out pass. Again, we didn't do much to stop them in the first half, but they are very predictable.

OL FU
December 12th, 2005, 07:25 AM
My Dad came to the game with me and usually when we watch games together we are students of the game. Although we (App) didn't do much to stop furman, he and I both called about 70% of their plays before the snap. Furman's offense, with the exception of the trick plays, is very predictable. You always knew on short yardage that if was going to Felton (which was the right call 99% of the time, minus the 4th and goal). And, on 3rd and long you knew that Ingle was going for a roll-out pass. Again, we didn't do much to stop them in the first half, but they are very predictable.

Doesn't matter if you are predictable if you score 30 plus points per game.
Hate to hear all the crap that went on. This is exactly why I don't go to away games when I have my kids with me.

Too bad thought because it was a hell of a football game.

FU97
December 12th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Predictable or not, they don't get stopped too often.

fuEMO
December 12th, 2005, 11:05 AM

Well, you are kinda right. Playing a SoCon team for the second time in the playoffs, you go with your strength. Ingle is a very talented QB, we may never have another QB with his exact skills. But he is limiting as an option qb. You will see more true option next season with Gray. And I assume more option passing (like Hill, DeBusk) Furman had a very multi-look gameplan against The Spiders. It looked like they went simpler againast APP. I think we should have lined up in the gun more and let Ingle fling it. APP was so off balanced on the last drive of the half.

DinoDex200
December 12th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I was continually impressed by Furman's offense, to the point of frustration. Jerome Felton might be my favorite player in I-AA who doesn't wear Black and Gold...although I hate watching him play us. He is an absolute beast, and I think we will see him on Sundays.

Furman is the closest thing to a I-A team we have faced in I-AA this year. Their size on O-Line, and the downhill running abilities of all 4 of their backs makes them a bear to slow down.

I think we beat the 2nd best team in I-AA on Saturday...and I just hope we aren't to beat up from it. Furman would have rolled UNI had they beat us, I think. I think we'll have a tougher time just because we currently have a few big question marks...

FU97
December 12th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I was continually impressed by Furman's offense, to the point of frustration. Jerome Felton might be my favorite player in I-AA who doesn't wear Black and Gold...although I hate watching him play us. He is an absolute beast, and I think we will see him on Sundays.

Furman is the closest thing to a I-A team we have faced in I-AA this year. Their size on O-Line, and the downhill running abilities of all 4 of their backs makes them a bear to slowdown. I think we beat the 2nd best team in I-AA on Saturday...and I just hope we aren't to beat up from it. Furman would have rolled UNI had they beat us, I think.

Felton's TD run when he trucked Lynch (a great player in his own right) was a phenominal run. Glad we have Felton for two more years.

Careful about looking past UNI. Many FU (and GSU) fans felt the same way about our semifinal meeting in 2001.

goasu984Life
December 12th, 2005, 11:20 AM
After watching both I-AA semis and the D-II final, you can't tell me that this is MUCH better than the Bowl Crap Series. All six teams that played Friday or Saturday laid it all out of the field and it was a great weekend of football.

DinoDex200
December 12th, 2005, 12:59 PM
After watching both I-AA semis and the D-II final, you can't tell me that this is MUCH better than the Bowl Crap Series. All six teams that played Friday or Saturday laid it all out of the field and it was a great weekend of football.

I agree wholeheartedly. I think Bill Curry even eluded to it in his in-game comments.

When it comes down to it, there is just nothing more intense than two teams playing with their season on the line. You see that for 4 weeks straight in I-AA, II, and III...you just don't ever really see it in I-A, with the exception of the supposed National Title Game. The way App and Furman were drilling each other on Saturday was a prime example of teams just flat-out playing for their lives.

More often than not, you see one team with everything to lose, playing another team with nothing to lose. Whether a I-A team wins or loses its Bowl Game, they know their season is over after that. In the conference title game, it's usually one really good team, against 1 so-so team, and not 2 teams hoping to play for the National Title. Even when a team is playing in one of the other 3 BCS games, what are they really playing for? The right to be called #2? Lame...and the minor bowls are thus, even lamer. Give me playoffs any day...the powers that be at I-A are missing out on a ratings and revenue bonanza by not considering even a 4 team playoff.

In a nutshell, it's hardly ever do-or-die for both teams on the field in a I-A game...in the playoffs, it always is.

terrior fan
December 12th, 2005, 01:39 PM
what is so sad, is that alot of furman fans are on their chat page trying to discuss the questionable calls by Lamb and staff but several on there won't hear of it. Some furman consider "questioning" play calling as mutany against the team. Its mindsets like that, that will keep them from future title games. I hate that for their die-hard fans

OL FU
December 12th, 2005, 01:53 PM
what is so sad, is that alot of furman fans are on their chat page trying to discuss the questionable calls by Lamb and staff but several on there won't hear of it. Some furman consider "questioning" playoffs as mutany against the team. Its mindsets like that, that will keep them from future title games. I hate that for their die-hard fans

I am not sure of the what the bolded part means. Questioning coaches is part of football. I think Lamb has enough confidence to know who to worry about and who not. Don't think for a minute we won't be back :)

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2005, 05:03 PM

I don't blame Lamb at all. If I were him, and considering his history of coaching in Boone, I would have done the same. It's so emotional, with what's on the line in playing to get to the NC, not to mention all of the seniors on the team and the fans in the stands. Don't blame him one bit, I'd blame him more if he stood on the sideline and didn't argue. If nothing else, at least it's clear he is passionate about his school and players.

OL FU
December 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I don't blame Lamb at all. If I were him, and considering his history of coaching in Boone, I would have done the same. It's so emotional, with what's on the line in playing to get to the NC, not to mention all of the seniors on the team and the fans in the stands. Don't blame him one bit, I'd blame him more if he stood on the sideline and didn't argue. If nothing else, at least it's clear he is passionate about his school and players.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Thanks for getting it and saying it.

It was emotional for all and sometimes even the coolest of us lose it. Not that I would call Lamb the coolest, but he coaches (whether you like him or not) to win.

HiHiYikas
December 12th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I don't blame Lamb at all. If I were him, and considering his history of coaching in Boone....

and playing

I can't imagine all the baggage that guy carries with him to KBS. I couldn't do what he does and stay logical.

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Coach Moore definitely would not have acted in that manner.

The signs the Furman fans brought to the game were equally as classy as those students chanting profanity. Every school has these fans...

Thanks to the 99% of classy Furman fans that made the trip and the ones that wished us good luck as I left the stadium.
Both teams should realize it really is only about 1% of fans from App and FU that are Aholes. I was sitting by the App band and there were people chanting "****** Furman" the whole game and was in clear view of some Furman fans with a sign that said "MountainQueers". Glad I missed the whole bus incident, and more glad I got to talk to some Furman fans who had fun talking smack before the game and just being happy that both teams were playing football in, what has to be now, the best rivalry in all of I-AA. Both teams have a great fan base and let's not let that 1% ruin the image of both schools and their respective fans.

OL FU
December 12th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Both teams should realize it really is only about 1% of fans from App and FU that are Aholes. I was sitting by the App band and there were people chanting "****** Furman" the whole game and was in clear view of some Furman fans with a sign that said "MountainQueers". Glad I missed the whole bus incident, and more glad I got to talk to some Furman fans who had fun talking smack before the game and just being happy that both teams were playing football in, what has to be now, the best rivalry in all of I-AA. Both teams have a great fan base and let's not let that 1% ruin the image of both schools and their respective fans.

That's horrible, we have obviously been paying too close attention to the Eagle fans. :eek:

OL FU
December 12th, 2005, 05:33 PM

The other part of this that is sad is this is exactly why I don't take my kids to away games. This is not a knock on ASU or any other school I mention because if I was a Mountaineer I would probably not take my kids to Furman. At a home game, I can let my nine year pretty much come and go as she pleases. I would hate to take her to a game where a few thousand people are screaming "We're gonna beat the **** outta you". (GSU) Me I could care less about the cheers and taunts (I just ignore it). But I miss games like saturday because I won't take my 9 year daughter. Such is life.

matfu
December 12th, 2005, 06:45 PM
still trying to get over the loss...up 23-21 at half, getting the ball first, and no richie williams i really really liked our chances. one SLIP on the field cost us...and all that anyone will remember is that for app it was a WIN, WIN, WIN...but that is football in the playoffs. i think this furman team had what it took to take it all.

oh well, hope the apps beat NI.