PDA

View Full Version : Bids for 2011 Championship

danefan
September 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20090902/SPORTS/909020317/1006/SPORTS/Don-t-dismiss-Missoula-s-bid-to-host-championship-game-too-quickly

Other cities reportedly competing for the NCAA event include Orlando, Fla., San Antonio, Texas, Nashville, Tenn., plus the current host, Chattanooga, Tenn., where the FCS (previously called I-AA) championship game has been played since 1997.

Sites such as Denver, Salt Lake City, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Little Rock, Ark., and Mobile, Ala., also have indicated some interest

Thoughts?

Orlando - meh....
San Antonio - is that really San Marcos? Either way - San Antonio is a good choice.
Nashville - what stadium? Vandy? too big, IMO.
Chatty - proven commodity - limited expansion ability.

Denver, Salt Lake, Chicago, NY (?), Philly, Little Rock and Mobile - Mobile is the only real possibility here.

El Gato
September 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20090902/SPORTS/909020317/1006/SPORTS/Don-t-dismiss-Missoula-s-bid-to-host-championship-game-too-quickly

Thoughts?

Orlando - meh....
San Antonio - is that really San Marcos? Either way - San Antonio is a good choice.
Nashville - what stadium? Vandy? too big, IMO.
Chatty - proven commodity - limited expansion ability.

Denver, Salt Lake, Chicago, NY (?), Philly, Little Rock and Mobile - Mobile is the only real possibility here.

I doubt that is San Marcos. I'm sure the Alamodome is being presented as an option from the City of San Antonio. They have hosted NCAA women's final four (or something along those lines) and volleyball championships, and with UTSA's attempts a fielding a football team, I'm sure SA, not San Marcos, is pushing for this. Although I wouldn't mind if the AD threw our name in the hat...why not, the worst that can happen is they say no, and the if it happens then great.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 2nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
For selfish reasons I'd like to see Salt Lake make a serious bid, but I doubt it happens. There is too much fBS football around here for people to worry about FCS. I think they have plenty of facilities that they could host it and the flights in and out would be pretty decent. Again, I doubt they really care unless someone really has some $$$ to put behind it.

FargoBison
September 2nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
Nashville or San Antonio sound good to me.

BDKJMU
September 3rd, 2009, 01:21 AM
Here's a great link with a list of 1820 stadiums in the U.S:
http://www.worldstadiums.com/north_america/countries/united_states.shtml

Of the 5 cities cited as bidding:

Chatty

Montana

San Antonio:
-Alamo Stadium, San Antonio, 23k, largest HS stadium in the state of TX (Mesquite would be the 2nd largest at 20k):
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/texas/san_antonio_alamo.shtml

65k Alamodome (way too big):
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/texas/san_antonio_alamodome.shtml

Nashville:
Titan's 68k LP field (way too big):
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/tennessee/nashville_coliseum.shtml

40k Vandberbilt stadium (a little too big):
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/tennessee/nashville_vanderbilt.shtml

Orlando:
70k Citrus Bowl (way too big):
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/florida/orlando_citrus.shtml

45+k UCF BH Networks Stadium (too big):
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/florida/orlando_bhn.shtml

And I'm not going to even bother with those 7 additional cities that have supposedly expressed interest...

grizzpaw
September 3rd, 2009, 05:55 AM
Of the 5 cities sited as bidding:

[b]Montana

now that is one BIG cityxsmiley_wix

89Hen
September 3rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Move it to a city where everyone has to fly and 20,000 is too big a stadium. xpeacex

carney2
September 3rd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Move it to a city where everyone has to fly and 20,000 is too big a stadium. xpeacex

Additional musts:

MUST be held in a a VERY cold place.

MUST utilize a high school stadium.

MUST be a virtual home game for some FCS school.

MUST be a long- a$$ haul for almost any fan base that might attend.

MUST be moved west of the Mississippi because the FCS is primarily located to the east (east coast bias - remember?!), and no team should have an advantage.

MUST have a 3:00 AM kickoff and be broadcast by ex-jocks who could not care less because neither team is from the SEC.

andy7171
September 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
I vote for having it in Charleston with The Citadel hosting it in their new stadium!

89Hen
September 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
I vote for having it in Charleston with The Citadel hosting it in their new stadium!
I think that would be the best option other than Chatty. Now we just need to get the NCAA to stop following the NAACP.

GeauxColonels
September 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
I vote to keep it in Chattanooga. I think it's a good location that's shown a commitment to the game and NCAA.

danefan
September 3rd, 2009, 02:39 PM
Best idea I've heard yet (courtesy of Guinzone):

http://www.ohsaa.org/images/Sports/FawcettStadium-2.jpg

henfan
September 3rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm sure a lot of places "have interest" but, if past experience is any indication, very few will end up bidding. I'll reserve my comments until I find out who actually has enough interest to place a bid.

My money's on Chattanooga because the city has done such a great job with the game.

ElonFirefighter
September 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
I vote Charlotte in mamorial stadium once renivations are complete.

89Hen
September 3rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Best idea I've heard yet (courtesy of Guinzone):
Canton in January? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

89Hen
September 3rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
I vote Charlotte in mamorial stadium once renivations are complete.
xconfusedx I thought they were tearing that dump down?

93henfan
September 3rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
There should be plenty of room in JMU's new 55,000 seat stadium.

GeauxColonels
September 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Canton in January? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr
January? Did I miss something? The Championship game is always in early Dec!?

MplsBison
September 3rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
I wish Houston would bid on it. I think UH stadium would be perfect.

I just don't want to see it in a FCS home stadium.

89Hen
September 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
January? Did I miss something? The Championship game is always in early Dec!?
Was always in mid December but it's moving to the first week of Jan. xpeacex

BTW, average high for Canton first week of Jan is 33.

GeauxColonels
September 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Was always in mid December but it's moving to the first week of Jan. xpeacex

BTW, average high for Canton first week of Jan is 33.
Yep, Chatty is in the low 50s high 40s I believe

WestCoastAggie
September 4th, 2009, 09:03 PM
If Orlando bids, they got it thanks to Disney placing money in the NCAA's pockets.

elcid83
September 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I'd love to see it at my old stomping grounds, but until our legislature gets the rebel flag off of the statehouse grounds, it ain't going to happen. And, our legislature doesn't have the leadership to move that flag.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM
you know the whole flag thing is kind of stupid. the flags on a fricken memorial, not on the state house. would you have a memorial to U2 without Bono? Would you have a memorial to App state without Mr. Yosef somewhere?

WOCO
September 4th, 2009, 09:23 PM
you know the whole flag thing is kind of stupid. the flags on a fricken memorial, not on the state house. would you have a memorial to U2 without Bono? Would you have a memorial to App state without Mr. Yosef somewhere?

would you have a memorial to hitler without ...............

DX Man
September 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM
If Orlando bids, they got it thanks to Disney placing money in the NCAA's pockets.

What I think would be the ideal situation is if Disney could sponsor the championship game every year and it rotate between Orlando and Anaheim.

elcid83
September 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM

I'm surprised I'd have to explain this to a man with a Wofford degree. To my simple way of thinking, all of us pay taxes - white, black, red, green it doesn't matter. The rebel flag is being flown on the statehouse grounds next to the confederate memorial. The rebel flag didn't fly on the Capitol dome until the beginning of the civil rights movement and everyone in SC seemed to get along ok. From 1865 until sometime in the 1960's, the rebel flag was no where to be seen on the statehouse grounds. Then, all of a sudden it's flying on the statehouse flagpole underneath the US and SC flag. What do you think happened that brought that flag out of mothballs?

I'm a Citadel graduate and I was against ladies going to The Citadel. But, now I understand why they should be allowed to attend. For the exact same reason, I understand why an African-American gets a bad feeling every time they drive up Gervais Street and look at their state Capitol building and first see the stars and bars waving in their face. Every South Carolinian should be able to look at their state Capitol grounds and feel good about themselves. Until the flag is moved to the museum, the State of South Carolina will not host a significant NCAA event.

Whether you like it or not, the USC Colonial Life Center is a prime location for a NCAA basketball tournament. Whether you like it or not, Johnson Hagood Stadium is a prime location for hosting the FCS Championship. None of this is going to happen until our state "leaders" grow the gonads to make a decision that their constituency does not like and that won't happen around here for a long time. The ACC wanted to host their baseball tournament at Myrtle Beach and that would have been a prime location for them. It's time for the State of South Carolina to get with the 21st century. If only we could elect some leaders that had a pair.

No offense Youngterrier. This is a pretty big issue for me personally and I'd love to see it go away.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I'm surprised I'd have to explain this to a man with a Wofford degree. To my simple way of thinking, all of us pay taxes - white, black, red, green it doesn't matter. The rebel flag is being flown on the statehouse grounds next to the confederate memorial. The rebel flag didn't fly on the Capitol dome until the beginning of the civil rights movement and everyone in SC seemed to get along ok. From 1865 until sometime in the 1960's, the rebel flag was no where to be seen on the statehouse grounds. Then, all of a sudden it's flying on the statehouse flagpole underneath the US and SC flag. What do you think happened that brought that flag out of mothballs?

I'm a Citadel graduate and I was against ladies going to The Citadel. But, now I understand why they should be allowed to attend. For the exact same reason, I understand why an African-American gets a bad feeling every time they drive up Gervais Street and look at their state Capitol building and first see the stars and bars waving in their face. Every South Carolinian should be able to look at their state Capitol grounds and feel good about themselves. Until the flag is moved to the museum, the State of South Carolina will not host a significant NCAA event.

Whether you like it or not, the USC Colonial Life Center is a prime location for a NCAA basketball tournament. Whether you like it or not, Johnson Hagood Stadium is a prime location for hosting the FCS Championship. None of this is going to happen until our state "leaders" grow the gonads to make a decision that their constituency does not like and that won't happen around here for a long time. The ACC wanted to host their baseball tournament at Myrtle Beach and that would have been a prime location for them. It's time for the State of South Carolina to get with the 21st century. If only we could elect some leaders that had a pair.

No offense Youngterrier. This is a pretty big issue for me personally and I'd love to see it go away.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

1. I don't have a Wofford degreexsmiley_wix
(hence the name)
2. I know the history

3. I understand what your saying, but it's a memorial to the SOLDIERS of the Confederate army not the GOVERNMENT of it. Had it been placed there 60 years ago it would no doubt be a non-political issue, not of race, not of politics, but of the men who died defending their home state (which was the purpose for most of them fighting the war). We brought the whole flag thing on ourselves, had we not flown the flag during the 60s in protest it would (I say again) be a non-issue. With that being said I don't think we should take it down because some people made a symbol of basically "sticking it to the man" into that of Racism.

As for the guy who compared it to Hitler, it's a not like that--as I said it's for the SOLDIERS not the LEADERS/GOVERNMENT.

FCS Go!
September 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
(hence the name)
2. I know the history

3. I understand what your saying, but it's a memorial to the SOLDIERS of the Confederate army not the GOVERNMENT of it. Had it been placed there 60 years ago it would no doubt be a non-political issue, not of race, not of politics, but of the men who died defending their home state (which was the purpose for most of them fighting the war). We brought the whole flag thing on ourselves, had we not flown the flag during the 60s in protest it would (I say again) be a non-issue. With that being said I don't think we should take it down because some people made a symbol of basically "sticking it to the man" into that of Racism.

As for the guy who compared it to Hitler, it's a not like that--as I said it's for the SOLDIERS not the LEADERS/GOVERNMENT.

There are plenty of memorials in Germany & Austria to soldiers who died during WWII and none of them have any Nazi symbols associated with them. I'm sure South Carolina could fly a state flag and convey the same sense of respect for the sacrifice of it's sons. That the state chooses instead to fly the flag of the confederacy implies that they have a different message in mind.

Skjellyfetti
September 4th, 2009, 10:50 PM
(hence the name)
2. I know the history

Yeah, but it's also basically shoving the Confederate flag in the face of the black citizens of South Carolina. Yeah, the KKK and other groups took the Navy Jack and corrupted it... but, that's beside the point now. It is what it is.

A reasonable compromise in my mind would be to keep the monument to the Confederate soldiers and remove the flag.