PDA

View Full Version : Favorite OCC schools

drpnut
September 2nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
I would be interested in folks sharing who they pull for "Out of Conference."

My favorites are Montana, Lafayette, South Dakota State.

Holla back.

89Hen
September 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
In no particular order: McNeese, SDSU, Albany, Montana, Holy Cross, Georgetown

FargoBison
September 2nd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Montana, Cal Poly, UCD

Franks Tanks
September 2nd, 2009, 08:42 AM

Holla back.

Lafayette--interesting

I like to see the other small liberal arts schools like Richmond, Furman and Wofford do well to prove that we can do it as well in the PL.

Ivytalk
September 2nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
Delaware, William & Mary, Georgia Southern

Dane96
September 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Delaware, UNH, Stony Brook (in a little Brother way), Hofstra, Montana, and Furman (gotta go purple!)

mcveyrl
September 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
ETSU..oh...wait.

Eaglesrus
September 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
Harvard, McNeese and Sacramento State (and GA Tech if we're including FBS)

BEAR
September 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
McNeese and UC-Davis because of their classy fans! xthumbsupx

andy7171
September 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
CCSU
The Citadel
Coastal Carolina (after 9/19)

bostonspider
September 2nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Princeton, Furman, Wofford, VMI

dgreco
September 2nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
uri and brown

93henfan
September 2nd, 2009, 09:02 AM
JMU's opponent each week.

andy7171
September 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM

What he said! xnodxxnodxxnodx

McNeese75
September 2nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
My selections based on knowlegable fans and the atmosphere that I have either experienced or heard about include:

Delaware, Georgia Southern, App State, Montana, Youngstown State, South Dakota State xnodx

mcveyrl
September 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM

What he said! xnodxxnodxxnodx

Love it. Sorry to disappoint last year, maybe this year though. xthumbsupx I usually pull for the CAA South in general when they are OOC or against the North.

I am closest to ASU and will go to their games if I get a chance.

Since I'm in SoCon territory I'm also fond of Wofford, Elon, and Furman.

Outside of the CAA and SoCon, I like McNeese and Cal Poly, too.

ChickenMan
September 2nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
Maine

The Citadel

Del St

Montana

bonarae
September 2nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Montana
Appalachian State
Furman
UC Davis

GannonFan
September 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
Wow, maybe I'm pretty rare, but I don't really pull for any OOC team.

BEAR
September 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
UC Davis getting some love on this thread! bessie bessie cow cow! xlolx

drpnut
September 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
I also pull for Rhode Island, and probably will add Bryant to my list this year... And that is about it...

FBS... Believe it or not I"m a Duke football fan... I was in Grad school there when we had Spurrier...

Silenoz
September 2nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
I root for Wofford, Villanova and McNeese and any team playing MSU, aside from the 2006 playoffs when I wanted a UM-MSU final

I'm rather indifferent to the rest of Big Sky.

appmountaineer
September 2nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
i'll go with:

UNH-I love that they hold it down year after your for FCS and pull win over FBS.
Montana-always have wanted to go to Montana, can't wait to go when we play them there.
NDSU-awesome dome.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Not in a big way, but I pull for the former SoCon schools, W&M, Richmond even VMI. not Marshall they don't count.

Generally pull for any SC school as long as they are not playing the SoCon. My favorite would be SC State and might even occasionally pull for them against a SoCon school.

McNeese72
September 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
My selections based on knowlegable fans and the atmosphere that I have either experienced or heard about include:

Delaware, Georgia Southern, App State, Montana, Youngstown State, South Dakota State xnodx

Second all of the above. And most of it is because of my experiences with their fans.

Doc

McNeese72
September 2nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
McNeese and UC-Davis because of their classy fans! xthumbsupx

I appreciate the kind words but I consider you guys part of the conference even though the NCAA won't officially allow you to win it. :(

Doc

MR. CHICKEN
September 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
AH HAVE UH SPOT...IN MAH HEART......FO'...WOFFORD...&...CAL-POLY..........DUH REST BE DAMNED.......AS DUH MO' YA LOSE.......DUH HIGHER......YOU-DEE....CLIMBS....:p...AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
September 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
AH HAVE UH SPOT....IN MAH HEART..FO'....WOFFORD & CAL-POLY.......DUH REST BE DAMNED...AS DUH MO' YA'LL LOSE......DUH HIGHER...UD....CLIMBS....DUH POLL...:p....AWK!!

BEAR
September 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
I appreciate the kind words but I consider you guys part of the conference even though the NCAA won't officially allow you to win it. :(

Doc

Oh BANG! I read that wrong! Dang! Maybe I figured (wrongly at that) we won't be technically full FCS and division I until 2010 so everyone in the FCS is out of conference...xlolx. But you're right, recognition or not, UCA is in the SLC with McNeese...hmmmm. Guess I was just thinking in general about the fans of other teams.

UC Davis
MKNease xlolx (there..those Cowmen aren't in the SLC.) xlolx

GSUhooligan
September 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Montana and the team that is playing Appy that week.

BEAR
September 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Ths week it's Missouri State. Go beat those pigs!

DSUrocks07
September 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Delaware
Southern
Cal Poly

danefan
September 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
I always pull for Stony Brook, Fordham and Hofstra.

Other than that my OOC favs change each year. Last year I was pulling for Delaware, UMass and UNH.

This year I'll be a huge GSU, UMass and Maine fan except on the weeks we play them.

Bull Fan
September 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
It always behooves you to pull for the opponents on your schedule (just not for the matchup with you ;) ).... why not hope for a quality SOS?

Regardless, I pull for my SUNY brethren despite taking unsolicited shots at them left and right ;)

I root heavily for teams who play on grass!

poly51
September 2nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
It always behooves you to pull for the opponents on your schedule (just not for the matchup with you ;) ).... why not hope for a quality SOS?

Regardless, I pull for my SUNY brethren despite taking unsolicited shots at them left and right ;)

I root heavily for teams who play on grass!

The only teams I know of that would play on grass in California are UC Santa Barbara and UC Santa Cruz but they don't play Football. They play futbol.....

...... Oh, wait, you probably did not mean that type of grass.

Well maybe Cal Berkeley too.

ASUG8
September 2nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Montana and the team that is playing Appy that week.

Hater. xnonox

xlolx I met a GSU guy yesterday, and he was actually pretty cool. xthumbsupx

slostang
September 2nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Schools we have played: Montana, Montana State (use to be a regular on Cal Poly's schedule), Sac State (in state FCS school), Weber State, Portland State (been a long time and now we have their old coach I think the game would be great) and Texas State.

Schools I wish we would play: McNeese State (had a serries booked with them until a little thing called a Huricane canceled it), Georgia Southern, Wofford, App State, UNI, Furman, UCA, Delaware, Southern and Grambling State.....

Polywog
September 4th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Portland State and NDSU for me.

sikolec
September 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM
South Dakota State and North Dakota State for me (minus when we play SDSU of course xrotatehx )

And I'll also throw San Diego in that mix...

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I find myself rooting for a lot of the old teams that Hofstra used to play as a D-III, and some they still play. Albany, Stony Brook, Fordham. The one team for some reason i am always intrigued with is Furman, probably because we have had some really good games with them.

JMU DUUUKES
September 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM
This confirms the insane truth that everybody hates JMU.

The anti-JMU bias on this board is ridiculous. Its why I never believe anything I read on here.

And my favorite OOC School: Appalachian State ... sorry Dukes, I just respect them.

Ken_Z
September 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Georgetown, they are in a different league if not conference.

Marist, we have defeated them regularly so it is nice to see they are actually capable of beating someone.

Go...gate
September 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Princeton and the other Ivy members.

Georgia Southern, Delaware, Western Illinois, VMI, William & Mary, Wofford, Furman, Richmond, Hofstra and Monmouth.

LawDutch
September 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I always find myself pulling for the 'gate, love how they play football.

ncbears
September 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
i'll go with:

UNH-I love that they hold it down year after your for FCS and pull win over FBS.
Montana-always have wanted to go to Montana, can't wait to go when we play them there.
NDSU-awesome dome.

But it's not theirs.

ASU_MBA
September 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM
SC State, Coastal Carolina, Montana and anyone playing JMU xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM
For Lehigh, while some hate on the Ivies, the combination of stadiums and campus's make them great visits.
1. Delaware- atmosphere
2. Yale- love the setting and historical stadium
3. Princeton- great stadium
4. Cornell- great views and Ithaca is a cool town.
5. Villanova- decent stadium and good team.

matboz
September 4th, 2009, 03:13 PM
University of Rhode Island .... Go Rhody!

mcveyrl
September 4th, 2009, 03:16 PM
SC State, Coastal Carolina, Montana and anyone playing JMU xthumbsupx

How did JMU become the Redskins of FCS?? xconfusedx

(Well, ok, that's how I feel about the Redskins, but you get the point)

HiHiYikas
September 4th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I like Richmond, since the spiders are my current "home team." Half my congregation went to UR, back in the day when lots of locals still went there. A couple of my friends are on UR's staff.

I didn't like seeing them beat ASU last season, but I was glad when they won the championship. Not bad for a small, private used-to-be-Baptist-seminary.

And there must be some good vibes going over there at University of Richmond Stadium. The two teams that use it the most, the Richmond Spiders and the USL Richmond Kickers, both won championships in the last year.

Skjellyfetti
September 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM
How did JMU become the Redskins of FCS?? xconfusedx

http://media.timesdispatch.com/timesdispatch/img-story/images/uploads/mickeymatthews.jpg

Current favorite OOC team is SC State. Really liked their team, coaches, and fans last year. Hope Will Ford has a great year and upsets a team or two (as long as its not App) in the playoffs.

Silenoz
September 4th, 2009, 03:57 PM

The anti-JMU bias on this board is ridiculous. Its why I never believe anything I read on here.

And my favorite OOC School: Appalachian State ... sorry Dukes, I just respect them.

I think a number of JMU fans have rubbed people the wrong way

mcveyrl
September 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM
http://media.timesdispatch.com/timesdispatch/img-story/images/uploads/mickeymatthews.jpg

Nice.

That picture is from his on-line diary of his visiting troops. He's such a douche. I can see why he would raise everyone's ire. (Also, if anybody hasn't read the diary, it's pretty cool).

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/other/article/coachs_journey_mickey_matthews_diary/281367/

I know people don't like him because he doesn't go through the normal "coach speak" and I think because of that people assume he hates their team. He just tells it like he thinks it is (which is usually a little more positive towards JMU than reality -- but hey, he's the coach).

Like I said to somebody else, sorry to disappoint you last year, I'm sure you guys will get more chances to get your hate on this year. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
September 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I think a number of JMU fans have rubbed people the wrong way

That's fine, but I can pull a segment of each well represented fan base on here and show you them rubbing people the wrong way. Doesn't mean I hate the team.

In fact, in terms of shear volume, I think ASU has more fans that are "that guy" than JMU, but nobody puts "anybody playing ASU." And NDSU...well...come on. In fact, I only know a few consistent JMU posters on here, so who is it?

Either way, it's just the internet, so I've already spent too much time on this.

ASU_MBA
September 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
The damn streamers.....and i don't like the color purple...no matter what oprah says...

mcveyrl
September 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM
The damn streamers.....and i don't like the color purple...no matter what oprah says...

I can understand the streamers. I love that people hate those, I hope that tradition never ends.

You guys should LOVE purple. Coaches that coach purple teams have given you some of your more memorable wins. xsmiley_wix

ASU_MBA
September 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
well i think ECU is kinda purple so maybe the streak continues......

UMass922
September 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
- Albany (spent a couple years there as a grad student and instructor)
- The Citadel (where my father went to school)
- any New England school

mcveyrl
September 4th, 2009, 04:33 PM
well i think ECU is kinda purple so maybe the streak continues......

Yea, we went to Atlantic Beach a few weeks ago and my 4 year-old thought the ECU billboards were JMU billboards.

We saw more App billboards than ECU, by the way. xthumbsupx

Husky Alum
September 4th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Yale - gotta go with the roots here, the Yalies helped fund my expenses as a youth with tips from ushering at the Bowl.

NDSU - always a soft spot for the Bison for the way I was treated in Fargo in '06

Not sure if I openly "root" for anyone else in FCS.

Jag4Life
September 4th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Delaware
Southern
Cal Poly

lol You like SU! We might play you guys in the meac challenge in 2010.

My favorites are ... McNeese (sometimes lol) South Dakota State (I love their fans) and Appy State (sometimes)

Hoyadestroya85
September 4th, 2009, 08:02 PM
SIU- Spent four years in Carbondale and went to dozens of games
Fordham- Like their history and know someone on the team.
Penn- My mom's entire family went there.
Cal Poly- Ramses Barden

JackTwice
September 4th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Cal Poly
McNeese
Georgia Southern
Georgetown - My cousins boyfriend played there.

DX Man
September 4th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Gardner-Webb University:Great school and my family name is on a couple of buildingsxthumbsupx

PhoenixSupreme
September 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hmm...probably Coastal Carolina (love the area)

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 4th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Griz, McNeese, UNI, FAMU, Jax State, Southern, and South Dakota State. Obviously not when they play GSU, though. xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
VMI, Wofford, Furman

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 4th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Why do you think everyone hates JMU?

drpnut
September 5th, 2009, 07:20 AM
BigHouse,

Posibley because JMU has a punk for a coach?

Cobblestone
September 5th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Holla back.

Coastal Carolina.

Why?

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v115/75/36/42700604/n42700604_31189536_8576.jpg

Seawolf97
September 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM
FCS- The Citadel and Rhode Island- like to see us play both some day.
FBS - Kentucky and Auburn

YellowBison
September 5th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Davis and Southern Utah

FBS - Boise, Miami, Bama, Oregon

purplepeopleeaterv2
September 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM

I agree. I pull for App as well. I love it when we play them. Clash of the Titans to an extent.xthumbsupx

kirkblitz
September 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM
app

Silenoz
September 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
That's fine, but I can pull a segment of each well represented fan base on here and show you them rubbing people the wrong way. Doesn't mean I hate the team.

In fact, in terms of shear volume, I think ASU has more fans that are "that guy" than JMU, but nobody puts "anybody playing ASU." And NDSU...well...come on. In fact, I only know a few consistent JMU posters on here, so who is it?

Either way, it's just the internet, so I've already spent too much time on this.

I didn't say I hated the team. I just said there are a number of JMU guys who have made it easy to not go out of the way to root for them

And I'd say the ASU fans here are pretty good about keeping it classy

jmu_duke07
September 7th, 2009, 10:11 PM
When I was at the JMU-APP game last fall, I ran into a lot of app douchers. Man, how I loved it when JMU came back... shut them up real quick. Other than that, the app fans have been really nice. When I run into them and tell them I went to JMU, they get a surprise look and we start talking football.

andy7171
September 7th, 2009, 10:57 PM
CCSU

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

seattlespider
September 8th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I root for Eastern Washington OOC. Hopefully they'll get their act together. Are they still suspended for the playoffs?

Libertine
September 8th, 2009, 07:43 AM
The Citadel -- it's complicated -- and St. Francis -- because they may have the coolest helmet ever and they need all the support they can get

Cobblestone
September 8th, 2009, 09:15 AM
University of Rhode Island .... Go Rhody!

Rep point!

eaglesrthe1
September 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Savannah State.

rjacks21
September 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Cal Poly, McNeese, and Georgia Southern. xthumbsupx

UCABEARS75
September 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM
This is easy: U. of Arkansas Chickenhawgs opponent each week.