PDA

View Full Version : UR Coach Mike London

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2009, 08:48 PM
Recommended reading.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/31/AR2009083102416_pf.html

And to keep this thread in "discussion" and not "news feed", this question: will London stay at Richmond or inevitably move to a I-A job in the near future?

RamRay
September 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM
First. this was a great article and I have a new level of respect for London.
Second, as great as his season was, I still think a lot of the foundation for the Spiders success was laid by Dave Clawson before, making the playoffs twice I think. Big accolades still go to London for a fantastic job of coaching.
Third, I don't think he will be leaving for 1-A anytime soon. He has many roots and connections in Richmond, has worked at the 1-A/BCS level and on the pro level, so may be comfortible to stay a while at Richmond. Perhaps in a few years, after he proves last year was not a fluke, he may take a head job at a BCS school. There are a lot of schools that will make a strong run for the championship this year, starting with fellow CAA member Villanova.

Just my opinion.

bostonspider
September 1st, 2009, 08:09 AM
Well I think if UVA tanks, and Al Groh is fired, the Hoo's might come and try to take London back after this season. They think very highly of him in Charlottesville....

Tribe4SF
September 1st, 2009, 08:44 AM
Well I think if UVA tanks, and Al Groh is fired, the Hoo's might come and try to take London back after this season. They think very highly of him in Charlottesville....

Speculation used to be that Laycock would end up in Charlottesville, but Jimmye is now in his sixties, and Mike already has the hearts of the Hoo faithful.

ur2k
September 1st, 2009, 08:46 AM
That day will probably come, but with the new stadium coming online, some new energy surrounding the program and the fact that he's an alum - hopefully we hold onto him for awhile.

Ray - you're right. That was Clawson's recruits that won the NC last year (along with a few from Jim Reid) but London got them over the hump to win the whole thing. He's also brought in an impressive first class and has more early verbals for next year than we've ever had before.

Either way, he's someone you can be very proud to be representing your university.

mcveyrl
September 1st, 2009, 09:05 AM
Man, I can't read this stuff at work. xbawlingx

London's interview after the NC showed he was a class act and it's obvious that most of his life was like that. Congrats to UR and London - you had to beam when Chris Long said you got a steal with London.

As far as him staying or going, I would love to see him stay at Richmond but think that the day's coming soon when he's gone. Then again, if he sticks around 6 or 7 more years, I could see him being a lifer.

JMU Newbill
September 1st, 2009, 09:32 AM
Either way... London is in a great position. He won't be hurting for work any time soon.