PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Tailgate Menu

aust42
August 31st, 2009, 04:04 PM
I posted this on Gohens.net but would like to know what everyone else in FCS land is planning on cooking up on opening day. I love opening day at Delaware stadium. We're undefeated, the football season is finally upon us, pretty college girls are all summered up running around in shorts and flip flops (xnodx) and it's the first tailgate of the year. Just curious on what y'all are cooking on opening day?

My menu:

Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
Cheeseburgers
Brats
Hot Dogs
Crab Dip/Crackerss
Fried Chicken (for post game munchies)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
August 31st, 2009, 04:06 PM
One big over sight: BEER! :Dxbeerchugx

OSBF
August 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM
Since we open on the road, on Thursday night, then play our pay game, we won't have our tailgate opener till week 3. Our group decided on theme tailgates this year, and we're starting off with "Diners, Drive Inns and Dives". So far the menu consists of my world famous rib-eye steak sammichs and deep fried shoestring fries which will converted to chilli-cheese fries.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2009, 04:51 PM
Never read this thread when you're hungry.

aust42
August 31st, 2009, 05:11 PM
One big over sight: BEER! :Dxbeerchugx

Oh that goes without saying! And my buddy mixes up his special cooler of "Jungle Juice" to start things out with.

Husky Alum
August 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM
We can't tailgate at Boston College - to the best of my knowledge we didn't get tailgate spaces, and even if we did ,I'm sure our AD wouldn't give me one.

I'm not sure what I'm doing for the Maine-NU game - probably more traditional faire, plus chicken and shrimp cacciatore (gotta use the tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms from the garden). Any Maine fans coming down for the game?

We're going to do a New England Clambake for the William & Mary game - lobsters, steamers, corn, baked potato, chowder. Let's hope the weather is better than it was the last time the Tribe came to town.

Homecoming is still up in the air (which as those who have been to my homecoming tailgate can attest - is a feast among no other at Northeastern) since it's so late in the season, and chances are we'll suck - so I'm guessing comfort food, or something with a Thanksgiving theme.

kirkblitz
August 31st, 2009, 05:15 PM
well our opening game is on the internet and i will be watching the carolina/ncstate game at the same times so i will keep it simple.

fried wings
south western rolls or mini hamburgers
and maybe something a little healthier, some sort of lettuce wrap?

g-webb1994
August 31st, 2009, 06:00 PM
and maybe something a little healthier, some sort of lettuce wrap?

I like a good salad as much as the next person, but not while tailgating or watching football. However, a nice crisp slab of iceberg makes a cheeseburger IMO.

Then again, down at Coastal, when they refer to 'lettuce', it might be some of that funky 'latin' variety.xlolx

MSUBear42
August 31st, 2009, 06:01 PM
Pork Steak and Natty Lite

Wow, that made me vomit, just kidding.

For our 9/12 opener we are having:

KC Style Ribs,
Standard hot dogs and brats, and
home-made potato chips seasoned with Essence.

AppStsGr8
August 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM
We'll be joining the alumni tailgate at ECU ... the menu for the home opener vs. McNeese St is:

Grilled buffalo chicken wings (marinated at least 24 hours in special sauces)
Chips
Salsa
Jalapenos!
Tater salad
Brownies cookies

BarefootApp
August 31st, 2009, 07:55 PM
The only thing I have on opening day is a big ol' can o' whupass. A tradition 40 years in the making.

Touchdown Yosef
August 31st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Not sure about the menu for this weekend but for the home opener I will be making a sausage and pepper casserole. This will be filled with some of every sausage you can basically buy at the grocery store all grilled and cut up into bite size pieces and mixed with a wide variety of sliced grilled peppers. Then tossed in a big bowl to mix all the varieties and peppers together and served in bowls. The womenfolk are in charge of the sides and I am sure there will be plenty and as always we start with a Bourbon and Coke (Beam its a gameday tradition) and then move to beer and I always drink a craft beer but the decision is rarely made before gameday. I will also be unveiling my home made black and gold Weber tailgate grill, I literally cannot wait.

MR. CHICKEN
August 31st, 2009, 09:46 PM
AH'M HAVIN'...DELAWARE DOGS...xnodx....WRAPPED IN FOIL...KEPT UNDERAH UH HEAT LAMP......SEMI-COLD....WEINERS....STUCK TA UH SOGGY ROLL...UTILIZIN' DUH MUSTARD PUMP......UMM GOOD...xeekx....PAYIN' BIG DUCATS...FO' DUH PRIVLEDGE.....O' BRINGIN' 'EM UP.......ALL GAME LONG...& WE'RE PLAYIN'.......WEST CHESTER...TA BOOT.....:(.....BRAWK!!!

chrisattsu
August 31st, 2009, 09:51 PM
It's Texas... which means someone is either cooking a brisket or fajitas

either way, it is going to be good food, served with plenty of beer

MsippiRattler
August 31st, 2009, 11:16 PM
We're working on hot dogs, hamburgers, cajun smoked sausage, fried catfish, and hush puppies!

KiddBrewer
September 1st, 2009, 02:09 AM
Hmm, havent really thought about this.......guess I need to, huh?!?? IM SOOOO READY FOR THIS WEEKEND!

12 pack of Rolling Rock or Blue Moon
1/2 pound hamburgers, marinated with worchestire sauce and spices, on a toasted bun
Ruffles Chips and French Onion Dip
Home made Red Velvet Cake
Pecan Pie
Chicken Wings w/ a mix of Texas Pete Hot sauce and Cattleman's Honey Mustard-base sauce
oh yea, and did i mention beer?

scotte303
September 1st, 2009, 03:30 AM
Rib eye steak sandwiches with some grilled onions and peter lugar steak sauce
Wings grilled to perfection with a chipolte hot sauce
Barbecued Baby back ribs reheated with cattlemans original bbq sauce
Grilled taters
Corn on the cobb
Salad

JMU Newbill
September 1st, 2009, 06:15 AM
Well as everyone knows, JMU does not have a game in Week 1 as we have changed our strategy this year to make sure we are fully rested going into the season (best play on this I could come up with).

However, being born and raised about 5 miles from ODU's campus, right on the other side of the Midtown tunnel, I have decided to go home for the weekend and tailgate with friends for ODU's first game.

On the menu... lots of cornhole and stuffed cheeseburgers. Couple different dips... the usual. Only thing I ever make that is somewhat special/different is my homemade mango salsa...which really isn't that original to begin with.

Everyone enjoy week 1's festivities.... and thank god football is back!

scotte303
September 1st, 2009, 07:35 PM
On the menu... lots of cornhole and stuffed cheeseburgers. Couple different dips... the usual. Only thing I ever make that is somewhat special/different is my homemade mango salsa...which really isn't that original to begin with.

Everyone enjoy week 1's festivities.... and thank god football is back!

Just curious, what is cornhole?xlolx

BEAR
September 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Cornhole..at least as I know it... is another name for Baggo. Bean bag toss game.

https://www.baggo.com/ProdImages/UCA_Screen.jpg

and the master of cornhole:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/beavisandbutthead/images/thumb/0/08/Cornholio101.jpg/200px-Cornholio101.jpg
Cornholio!

As for tailgating against Hawaii....um...the game's at midnight central standard time...so I guess I'll be having something that won't allow me to make it until the end of the game...xlolx

McNeese75
September 1st, 2009, 10:43 PM
Just curious, what is cornhole?xlolx

xlolx UCABear answered the question but I was cautiously curious when I first heard about it in Cincy myself.

kirkblitz
September 1st, 2009, 10:46 PM
I like a good salad as much as the next person, but not while tailgating or watching football. However, a nice crisp slab of iceberg makes a cheeseburger IMO.

Then again, down at Coastal, when they refer to 'lettuce', it might be some of that funky 'latin' variety.xlolx

xlolx

i'll most likely not make the lettuce stuff, might replace it with fajitas or something as someone else suggested. i think i put on 4 pounds every football game lol

McNeese75
September 1st, 2009, 10:57 PM
Our head tailgate chef will be preparing Jambalaya and black-eyed pea sauce picayune for the opening game. Add the other dishes that will be provided by the women and 10 cases of beer or so and you have a good start. xnodx

BEAR
September 1st, 2009, 11:29 PM
Our head tailgate chef will be preparing Jambalaya and black-eyed pea sauce picayune for the opening game. Add the other dishes that will be provided by the women and 10 cases of beer or so and you have a good start. xnodx

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxbowxxbowx xbowx

89Hen
September 2nd, 2009, 08:42 AM
My menu:

Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
Cheeseburgers
Brats
Hot Dogs
Crab Dip/Crackerss
Fried Chicken (for post game munchies)
Where do you park? xsmiley_wix

89Hen
September 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
What's the traditional dish at tailgates in the south... especially at GSU? They always talk about it, but I've never seen it and can't recall what it is. xoopsx xoopsx

biggie
September 2nd, 2009, 08:49 AM
Just going to be picking up Bojangles on the way around 7:30am Saturday. That and then I have screwdrivers and Cherry Vodka w/ Sprite or Coke.

Eaglesrus
September 2nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
What's the traditional dish at tailgates in the south... especially at GSU? They always talk about it, but I've never seen it and can't recall what it is. xoopsx xoopsx

I don't think there is any one thing, though barbeque might be the closest to a traditional dish. Walk through our parking lot and you'll see anything from steaks to barbeque to fried chicken to low country boil to burgers and brats/hot dogs.

At our tailgate Saturday we're having boiled peanuts, barbeque, brunswick stew, bleu cheese potato salad, peach cobbler and whatever else anybody decides to bring.

89Hen
September 2nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
I don't think there is any one thing, though barbeque might be the closest to a traditional dish. Walk through our parking lot and you'll see anything from steaks to barbeque to fried chicken to low country boil to burgers and brats/hot dogs.

At our tailgate Saturday we're having boiled peanuts, barbeque, brunswick stew, bleu cheese potato salad, peach cobbler and whatever else anybody decides to bring.
Banana pudding! Is that it?

Eaglesrus
September 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Banana pudding! Is that it?

One of GSU's biggest tailgate groups (the red flag gang) apparently has that a lot, and I guess it's a fairly popular dish, but I'm not a fan myself. We never have it at our tailgate and I don't hear about it much except from that group, of which fellow AGS posters blueballs and Eaglegus2 (their chief cook) are members.

ASUG8
September 2nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
I'll be in Beaufort, SC on vacation - I guess I'll be plopped in a sports bar someplace (akin to my Charleston trip 2 yrs ago watching ASU/UM). Hopefully I'll be as happy this year!! xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
of which fellow AGS posters blueballs and Eaglegus2 (their chief cook) are members.
That must be it. They must just be so enamored with it that it sounds like a tradition. There are some Hen posters here and at gohens that have scrapple at every tailgate and to hear them talk about it, it sounds like everyone at UD likes it (yuck). xsmiley_wix

Bull Fan
September 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
I have seen Georgia Southern tailgates and I would be lying if I told you I could identify some of the objects on their grills. But the folks there sure enjoy themselves and their fare.

For us Hofstra folk; the usual burgers, dogs and perhaps some steak dish depending on what others thrown onto our grill. Someone mentioned hushpuppies... Now THAT would be a nice addition ;)

Husky Alum
September 2nd, 2009, 08:49 PM

Can I get a good, authentic jambalaya recipe from someone down south? You can send it to me via PM.

I have one I got from a guy I worked with from Baton Rouge that's a staple at NU Homecoming (he said it was his grandmother's), but would always be willing to try something different.