PDA

View Full Version : Should players get paid?-Wolverines blow the whistle on Michigan's 'absurd' workouts

justsaying
August 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Time and time again, I hear of athletes constantly going through the rigorous schedule of training for at least 8 hours a day, but everyone turns a blind eye b/c in reality, that type of practice is “illegal”xeyebrowx

On top of this, these athletes have to attend classes, and study sessions which allows little opportunity for outside employment... And if one does gain outside employment, the NCAA regulates that as well.....

I really feel that athletes, especial football players are being exploited in exchange for a scholarship, on the other hand, millions of dollars are being distributed to the coaches, athletic directors, presidents and the university, on the back of the players.

I know I’m beating a dead horse with this question, but this article really opened my eyes………

I’m just saying… “Should Athletes get paid?”

Players on the 2008 and 2009 teams described training and practice sessions that far exceeded limits set by the NCAA, which governs college athletics. The restrictions are designed to protect players’ well-being, ensure adequate study time and prevent schools from gaining an unfair competitive advantage.
[...]
"It’s one of those things where you can’t say something," one current Wolverine said. "If you say something, they’re going to say you’re a lazy person and don’t want to work hard."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Wolverines-blow-the-whistle-on-Michigan-s-absur?urn=ncaaf,185938

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Time and time again, I hear of athletes constantly going through the rigorous schedule of training for at least 8 hours a day, but everyone turns a blind eye b/c in reality, that type of practice is “illegal”xeyebrowx

On top of this, these athletes have to attend classes, and study sessions which allows little opportunity for outside employment... And if one does gain outside employment, the NCAA regulates that as well.....

I really feel that athletes, especial football players are being exploited in exchange for a scholarship, on the other hand, millions of dollars are being distributed to the coaches, athletic directors, presidents and the university, on the back of the players.

I know I’m beating a dead horse with this question, but this article really opened my eyes………

I’m just saying… “Should Athletes get paid?”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Wolverines-blow-the-whistle-on-Michigan-s-absur?urn=ncaaf,185938

Without even reading the article, the answer is no. The BCS schools should just stop the charade of being college athletics, but they're making too much money. In a more perfect world, the BCS schools wouldn't be the minor leagues for the NBA and NFL. Before I'd ever be in favor of paying players, I'd force the NBA and NFL to form a minor league system like baseball and hockey have. If a High School kid's career aspiration is to be a pro athlete, let him go into the minors and start his pro career without pretending to be a college student. Unfortunately, the big schools are making too much money and it'll never happen. Instead we'll continue to see basket weaving majors and one on one academic advisers so the big schools never get zapped by the APR process. xtwocentsx

Frankly, I doubt a compliance officer or AD at any FCS school would allow the practice abuse mentioned above. The fact that one at a FBS school would speaks volumes.

parr90
August 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
No. They are already getting paid. They get a free eduaction. How much does that save them? We had really hard practices and workouts under coach Russell at GSU, but if you want to be there you no its just part of it. To me just getting the chance to play college football was enough. I know the argument about how much these guys bring in for the schools but personaly I like it the way it is. Every player is equal in college so to speak but you start paying them and who gets what? Do QBs get more than lineman? It says that one guy is worth more than another, and I dont think they are. I wouldnt care if they gave players some kind of allowance, not much, just to have for extra costs, but not big money.

soccerguy315
August 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM
if the players have a problem with it, they wouldn't do it.

CollegeSportsInfo
August 30th, 2009, 06:05 PM
The bigger question about this (which comes up every year) is why hasn't the American profit motive come into play yet outside of the colleges?

If a league were to form today that was aggressive in getting the top incoming freshman and existing college players to join, there is little doubt that it would be a money maker. We're not talking about a league that would need to compete against the NFL as was the old AFL or any leagues since the merger. We're talking about a league that worked to establish itself as an unofficial minor league system: players come in for 1-4 years, get paid to play, and if they are drafted by an NFL team and that team makes a bette roffer, then they leave.

But at least it will give some dignity back to college football where players are often hardly the model students. It's quite sad: X university applicants average say a 3.6 GPA in high school and a 1300 SAT yet an athlete gets a free ride who has numbers half of the average.

The same model could be used in basketball rather than the farce that is the developmental league: the top basketball players will "suck it up" and play a year in college rather than go to the D-league. But as we've seen, players are now also going to Europe to play rather than college. Why not do more to keep US athletes at home?

Big Dawg
August 30th, 2009, 06:32 PM
No. They are already getting paid. They get a free eduaction. How much does that save them? We had really hard practices and workouts under coach Russell at GSU, but if you want to be there you no its just part of it. To me just getting the chance to play college football was enough. I know the argument about how much these guys bring in for the schools but personaly I like it the way it is. Every player is equal in college so to speak but you start paying them and who gets what? Do QBs get more than lineman? It says that one guy is worth more than another, and I dont think they are. I wouldnt care if they gave players some kind of allowance, not much, just to have for extra costs, but not big money.

Not everybody is on scholarship.

SU DOG
August 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM
My blood boils when I even hear that question.xmadx How could ANY fan want their university to be represented by a band of paid mercenaries? You can say that many BCS schools are already like that, but to completely give in to this way of thinking would entirely ruin any hope of keeping the word "student" in the term student-athlete. If they are good football players, but don't graduate and are unable to get into the NFL, a fat-cat alum will often give them a job or set them up in a position that will pay them far more than us honest "working" folks have. At least this has often happened here in Alabama. The players are not what is being exploited - INTEGRITY is the thing that is being exploited, and until the illiterate mind-set of winning at ANY price is quelled(if ever it is), then college athletics is on the cusp of being destroyed.

Saint3333
August 30th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I assume that all 200 scholarship athlete would get paid, at only $20K a year that's $4M, talk about killing non-revenue sports at non-BCS conferences.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 30th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Remember that college tuition is paid for with AFTER TAX DOLLARS. If your school costs $20,000 per year ... the average Joe needed to earn $30,000 per year to pay for it.

In Richmond's instance, it would take $70-80k in Pre-tax Dollars to pay for it.

tribe_pride
August 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM
The bigger question about this (which comes up every year) is why hasn't the American profit motive come into play yet outside of the colleges?

If a league were to form today that was aggressive in getting the top incoming freshman and existing college players to join, there is little doubt that it would be a money maker. We're not talking about a league that would need to compete against the NFL as was the old AFL or any leagues since the merger. We're talking about a league that worked to establish itself as an unofficial minor league system: players come in for 1-4 years, get paid to play, and if they are drafted by an NFL team and that team makes a bette roffer, then they leave.

But at least it will give some dignity back to college football where players are often hardly the model students. It's quite sad: X university applicants average say a 3.6 GPA in high school and a 1300 SAT yet an athlete gets a free ride who has numbers half of the average.

The same model could be used in basketball rather than the farce that is the developmental league: the top basketball players will "suck it up" and play a year in college rather than go to the D-league. But as we've seen, players are now also going to Europe to play rather than college. Why not do more to keep US athletes at home?

Remember that World League of American Football (sponsored by the NFL itself), USFL, XFL, and Arena Football League have all failed and/or declared bankruptcy. The minor leagues for football have been tried and failed although Arena lasted for many years. The only one still in existence that is still somewhat successful that I can think of is the CFL and I think they limit foreign (American) players per team although I may be wrong. For some reason, other football leagues don't work and are not profitable.

To your other point, the majority of college football and basketball players never make it to the professional level. Too many people will go through this minor league (if it survives) and then never make it out and have no degree (making it tougher to get hired). Remember, most of these football players care about their education. We just hear about the bad cases.

McNeese72
August 30th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Not everybody is on scholarship.

And nobody is forcing them to be there!

Husky Alum
August 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Yes, they should receive some form of minor stipend/compensation.

I'm talking like $25-30 a week so they can do their laundry, buy their girlfriend dinner, etc.

I worked in the Athletic Department at NU for 5 years in school. Many of these kids who are getting a "free" education (I'd argue playing a sport while going to school is a full time job AND they're going to classes), come from family backgrounds where they have no pocket change. Heck, I was the manager of the basketball team and I didn't get paid, and I worked 35 hours a week with the team while maintaining a full courseload, so I can only imagine what an athlete, who gets mentally and physically challenged at practice, has to go through.

They're not like many of us who can get a part time job or work in the summer to get some cash for their incidentals. These kids have nothing, and i'd proffer that many of the reasons we see them with their hand out is because they need the cash for the bare minimums to "survive" in college.

I'd say if the kids would have gotten some form of financial aid had they been a non-scholy student, a small stipend is appropriate.

soccerguy315
August 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I'd say if the kids would have gotten some form of financial aid had they been a non-scholy student, a small stipend is appropriate.

financial aid is not for taking your girlfriend out to dinner.

FargoBison
August 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Practices too tough? If you don't like it go play intramurals brother.

Husky Alum
August 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
financial aid is not for taking your girlfriend out to dinner.

No kidding. But remember, athletes can't even get work study - which can be used for taking your girlfriend out to dinner.

What I meant was that if their income level would have warranted financial assistance from the school to attend, the NCAA should give them a small stipend so they can have some pocket money.

CollegeSportsInfo
August 31st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Remember that World League of American Football (sponsored by the NFL itself), USFL, XFL, and Arena Football League have all failed and/or declared bankruptcy. The minor leagues for football have been tried and failed although Arena lasted for many years. The only one still in existence that is still somewhat successful that I can think of is the CFL and I think they limit foreign (American) players per team although I may be wrong. For some reason, other football leagues don't work and are not profitable.

To your other point, the majority of college football and basketball players never make it to the professional level. Too many people will go through this minor league (if it survives) and then never make it out and have no degree (making it tougher to get hired). Remember, most of these football players care about their education. We just hear about the bad cases.

Actually, these leagues were all formed as competition for the NFL. They went after existing professional players or graduating players. So leagues like the XFL went after undrafted players. Arena league had turned into a place for former NFL players (Glen Foley anyone). And the USFL went after guys liek Steve Young, Doug Flutie...graduates who were offered more money than the NFL (Steve Young 99 million contract).

What I'm talking about is a true Minor league. You go after top High School seniors and of course in the first years, you go after existing NCAA freshmen, sophomores and juniors. But you are marketing yourself as a young mens league, a showcase of up-and-comers rather than these other leagues that are all retreads who could not sustain an NFL career. Like college, players would be expected to move on to the NFL one day for bigger contracts. And when that happens, a team would draft/sign a replacement player just like a BCS team does now.

If you are 18-19 and graduating high school and plan an NFL career and are told you can either goto school or get paid $88,400 (the current NFL minimum salary for practice squad members), I think plenty of top incoming freshmen would go for it. If facilities and coaching staffs were up to par, which they likely would be for a successful league, it would provide a home for such players and keep NCAA football for student athletes.

jmufan999
August 31st, 2009, 11:42 AM
In a more perfect world, the BCS schools wouldn't be the minor leagues for the NBA and NFL.

can't speak for the NBA, but the NFL now has a minor league system... the UFL.

unlike the XFL and NFL Europe/Europa, the UFL will run at the same time as the NFL and was intended to be used as a minor league system... there are no associations between UFL/NFL franchises, however.