PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Havens named starting QB at UMass

Umass74
August 30th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Kyle havens a 6-4 220 pd JUCO from Diablo JC in California has been named starting QB at UMass. More data and links over on my UMass Football Blog (http://umass74.blogspot.com/2009/08/its-havens.html).

Havens was a Academic All-American at Diablo. Scout.com ranked him as a top-20 JUCO QB.

His first start for UMass will be at Kansas State.

SOCAL
August 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Kyle havens a 6-4 220 pd JUCO from Diablo JC in California has been named starting QB at UMass. More data and links over on my UMass Football Blog (http://umass74.blogspot.com/2009/08/its-havens.html).

Havens was a Academic All-American at Diablo. Scout.com ranked him as a top-20 JUCO QB.

His first start for UMass will be at Kansas State.

Its nice to see the CAA north starting to recognize where to recruit the most important skill position(QB)---that is California

Havens at UMASS and Toman at UNH xcoolx

Shellin
August 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
And here I was thinking that Liam Coen was coming back for his 7th year.... :)

Umass74
August 30th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Its nice to see the CAA north starting to recognize where to recruit the most important skill position(QB)---that is California

UMass won its National Championship in 1998 with Todd Bankhead who played for Palomar JUCO in California. The first year Bankhead comes in and throws for 3,900+ yards and 34 TD's. xthumbsupx

SOCAL
August 30th, 2009, 09:17 PM
UMass won its National Championship in 1998 with Todd Bankhead who played for Palomar JUCO in California. The first year Bankhead comes in and throws for 3,900+ yards and 34 TD's. xthumbsupx

UNH has been on a roll for 5 years and the article below illustrates how important California is to its program

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080508/SPORTS/805080436&emailAFriend=1

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 31st, 2009, 03:01 AM
Really, kids from Cali want to go to the Atlantic NE? huh. weird.

EmeryZach
August 31st, 2009, 07:50 AM
I'm glad Morris made the decision now. Havens can at least get a full week of practice in knowing that he is the starter.

Don't be surprised to see Woodward come in later in the season if the team is struggling.

SOCAL
August 31st, 2009, 11:47 AM
Really, kids from Cali want to go to the Atlantic NE? huh. weird.

As the article stated--there are 36 million people in California and very few places to play at the next level given the population---someone once told me that there are about 120 FCS schools and over 90 are east of the Mississippi river

A lot of California HS players who could play at the next level --never do--because not a lot of schools recruit nationally--especially FCS schools

So its not weird---just not to many options

W. DeMontague
August 31st, 2009, 11:54 AM
And the CAA is a very good conference. Very good competition. These JUCO kids from California want to play and compete so once they see the bigger picture, they'll put up with the cold winters and head East.

Umass74
August 31st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Havens told a funny story at the UMass Media day.

In January, he got on a plane in San Francisco and it's 70 degrees.

He lands in Manchester and it's -4 degrees --- and he's in shorts and a tee shirt. Welcome to New England. :p

Maroon&White
August 31st, 2009, 01:50 PM
Havens told a funny story at the UMass Media day.

In January, he got on a plane in San Francisco and it's 70 degrees.

He lands in Manchester and it's -4 degrees --- and he's in shorts and a tee shirt. Welcome to New England. :p

He flew into Manchester?

Bull Fan
August 31st, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hofstra's top two career passing leaders were Californian's-- Gio Carmazzi and Anton Clarkson.... in a pass-happy offense. So yes, Cali kids don't mind the Atlantic NE.

EmeryZach
August 31st, 2009, 05:30 PM
As long as the school has good looking girls to mingle with, and good parties to meet them at, as well as a decent football team then I don't think Cali kids mind coming.xthumbsupx