PDA

View Full Version : Bustle expects Southern to bring crowd

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I looked into putting this in the FCS News Feeds forum but if I understood what I read correctly those are automatically generated. So:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/56127717.html?index=1&c=y

LAFAYETTE — There is no precedent for what University of Louisiana at Lafayette football coach Rickey Bustle expects to see Saturday when his team hosts Southern in the season opener.

Bustle is aware of the enthusiasm that accompanies the “Jaguar Nation” and the large crowds that routinely follow SU’s road trips.

“There’s a lot in the air about playing Southern, and it might be one of our largest crowds that we maybe will have to see a game (in Lafayette),” Bustle said.

It really is going to be a great atmosphere pre game and at least up to the opening kickoff. Another thing: The article says that ULL has suffered injuries in the offensive line, which was supposed to be the strongest point of their team. They're going to be inexperienced at QB. Could be a very interesting game if Southern comes looking to win the game and isn't intimidated by the mere thought of playing a team classified as "FBS."

Jag4Life
August 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I looked into putting this in the FCS News Feeds forum but if I understood what I read correctly those are automatically generated. So:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/56127717.html?index=1&c=y

LAFAYETTE — There is no precedent for what University of Louisiana at Lafayette football coach Rickey Bustle expects to see Saturday when his team hosts Southern in the season opener.

Bustle is aware of the enthusiasm that accompanies the “Jaguar Nation” and the large crowds that routinely follow SU’s road trips.

“There’s a lot in the air about playing Southern, and it might be one of our largest crowds that we maybe will have to see a game (in Lafayette),” Bustle said.

It really is going to be a great atmosphere pre game and at least up to the opening kickoff. Another thing: The article says that ULL has suffered injuries in the offensive line, which was supposed to be the strongest point of their team. They're going to be inexperienced at QB. Could be a very interesting game if Southern comes looking to win the game and isn't intimidated by the mere thought of playing a team classified as "FBS."

He closed his practices to the public because he said suspect people came to his practices spying and he don't know if they are giving Pete info! xnonoxxnonox I don't think they have any injuries to their offensive line but from what I hear from some fans at ULL they aren't all that impressive. A quick DL can come from the side and get to the QB easy.

crossfire07
August 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
sounds like their coach is a very insecure man closing practices to the public. They are FBS and they are playing an FCS team. what is he worried about? ha ha

TexasTerror
August 30th, 2009, 11:38 AM
ULL has historically done poorly against FCS teams, particularly those from the Southland Conference, which has 18 wins over FBS schools since 2000.

Like their friends in Monroe, they have decided that scheduling a SWAC school will further bolster attendance and be a more likely shot for their squad at a victory. Unfortunately, I think our friends in Lafayette may not truly understand what they are getting into.

While McNeese really took it to ULL (as they typically have) and could have run up the score, a loss to Southern would be even more embarrassing for their program based on what some of those Ragin' Cajun fans think of what they have.

FormerPokeCenter
August 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I'm gonna be a huge Southern Fan on Saturday. Please Jag Nation, kick the snot out of USL...

Get up early and keep the pressure on.

Geaux Jags!

Jag4Life
August 30th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I'm gonna be a huge Southern Fan on Saturday. Please Jag Nation, kick the snot out of USL...

Get up early and keep the pressure on.

Geaux Jags!

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx Really true class! I am rooting for you guys ALL THE WAY.

Jag4Life
August 30th, 2009, 12:31 PM
ULL has historically done poorly against FCS teams, particularly those from the Southland Conference, which has 18 wins over FBS schools since 2000.

Like their friends in Monroe, they have decided that scheduling a SWAC school will further bolster attendance and be a more likely shot for their squad at a victory. Unfortunately, I think our friends in Lafayette may not truly understand what they are getting into.

While McNeese really took it to ULL (as they typically have) and could have run up the score, a loss to Southern would be even more embarrassing for their program based on what some of those Ragin' Cajun fans think of what they have.

ULL doesn't have anything on offense. Their defense is good but they can be scored on. Their secondary is the biggest question mark. They don't fare well against teams with power backs and the fact that Troy ran for more then 300 yards on them makes me wonder.

GeauxColonels
August 30th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I think Bryant Lee will give ULL problems. I followed this kid all through high school. He was unbeaten as a starter. The kid knows how to win. As soon as Southern signed him, I said that they got a steal. He hasn't disappointed me yet. I think he's giong to have a great season, starting in Lafayette.

Jag4Life
August 30th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I think Bryant Lee will give ULL problems. I followed this kid all through high school. He was unbeaten as a starter. The kid knows how to win. As soon as Southern signed him, I said that they got a steal. He hasn't disappointed me yet. I think he's giong to have a great season, starting in Lafayette.

lol Don't tell a ULL fan that.

GeauxColonels
August 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
lol Don't tell a ULL fan that.
LOL, you can't tell them anything. You can't even tell that that it's Louisiana AT LAFAYETTE.

Jag4Life
August 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM
LOL, you can't tell them anything. You can't even tell that that it's Louisiana AT LAFAYETTE.

lol They are mad because I said that they won't be able to run the ball on us. They may but I don't think they could. None of those RBs they have play like Fenroy. Our DL meanwhile has improved since the spring and our secondary is starting to come around. Our safety spots may be locked up and the 2 spots that are open are LCB and RCB and the candidates aren't no pushover. I just hope ULL don't think this will be a cakewalk. If the coaches have the mindset that we can win then we will.

813Jag
August 31st, 2009, 08:13 AM
I'm just hoping Pete will have the team ready. I'm interested to see how the lines hold up in live action.

DX Man
August 31st, 2009, 11:45 AM
Go Southernxthumbsupx

GAD
August 31st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Go Southernxthumbsupx
Good Luck vs. the pie-rats

GeauxColonels
August 31st, 2009, 01:43 PM
lol They are mad because I said that they won't be able to run the ball on us. They may but I don't think they could. None of those RBs they have play like Fenroy. Our DL meanwhile has improved since the spring and our secondary is starting to come around. Our safety spots may be locked up and the 2 spots that are open are LCB and RCB and the candidates aren't no pushover. I just hope ULL don't think this will be a cakewalk. If the coaches have the mindset that we can win then we will.
Definitely, Fenroy was a beast. They don't have anyone like that anymore.

Jag4Life
August 31st, 2009, 02:06 PM

Now see if Fenroy and Desmreaux was back then we wouldn't stand a chance but those are skilled positions that they are lacking at. They do have depth though but having depth doesn't always mean someone is going to win.

McNeese72
August 31st, 2009, 02:07 PM

I guess he was. When we saw him in 2007, he wasn't that impressive to me. Jamie Leonard looked better. Too bad Jamie's year ended on the first offensive play of the 4th game of 2007.

Doc

813Jag
August 31st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Now see if Fenroy and Desmreaux was back then we wouldn't stand a chance but those are skilled positions that they are lacking at. They do have depth though but having depth doesn't always mean someone is going to win.
It's not the skill positions that win these games, it's the lines. If the Jags can't hold their own up front, it's gonna be tough. I believe in the team, but I've been snakebitten too much by these coaches.

Jag4Life
August 31st, 2009, 06:44 PM
It's not the skill positions that win these games, it's the lines. If the Jags can't hold their own up front, it's gonna be tough. I believe in the team, but I've been snakebitten too much by these coaches.

You said it best

JohnStOnge
August 31st, 2009, 07:03 PM

I don't know. I think quarterback is a pretty darned important position. And if I had to bet I'd bet Southern's going to have a huge advantage there. I think Southern has a guy who can actually make up to some extent for a little bit of a disadvantage at the line of scrimmage.

Southern has the opportunity to basically set up its defense to say, "Let your quarterback beat us." I don't think ULL has that luxury. If ULL sets up its defense to say, "let your quarterback beat us," I think it's quite possible that he will.

Jag4Life
September 1st, 2009, 05:10 AM
I don't know. I think quarterback is a pretty darned important position. And if I had to bet I'd bet Southern's going to have a huge advantage there. I think Southern has a guy who can actually make up to some extent for a little bit of a disadvantage at the line of scrimmage.

Southern has the opportunity to basically set up its defense to say, "Let your quarterback beat us." I don't think ULL has that luxury. If ULL sets up its defense to say, "let your quarterback beat us," I think it's quite possible that he will.

Yeah and they have a young secondary as well. We have a good QB who can torch his secondary. xthumbsupx Our RBs are real tough, but it will start with the OL blocking for his QB and opening holes for the RBs.

813Jag
September 1st, 2009, 08:20 AM

My statement comes from watching Southern play year after year. Lee is a threat but the coaches diminish that threat by running him too many times. The kid got banged up pretty good last year. Alot of factors will play into how well Lee does: 1. Will the Jags RBs be able to run the ball, 2. Will Lee have the trust in his other WRs besides Stewart, 3. Will the line be able to keep the pressure off (I know some of them were nicked up in camp) and 4. COACHING, COACHING, COACHING. Of course I'm pulling for a Southern win, I'm just not getting giddy because they are playing ULL. If factor number 4 doesn't raise it's ugly head then the Jags have a shot.

Bigmoneymike
September 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Started off promising. I didnt get to go to the game b/c i thought it would rain. I heard the crowd was great. I wish someone would post pics.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 6th, 2009, 11:05 AM
The crowd was 60-40 SU. SU owns another stadium record in Louisiana. Also set a SUNBELT RECORD. Nicholls, Northwestern St, and ULL records are all owned by SU.
IF MCNEESE WAS SMART, THEY WOULD MOVE THE GAME TO ULL. 43,000 compared to 17,500 . Huge chance for a big payday. xthumbsupx

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Dont know if a FCS school has ever had more fans than a FBS school at their home stadium, but it happend last night.

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Dont know if a FCS school has ever had more fans than a FBS school at their home stadium, but it happend last night.

Didn't it happen when McNeese also went to ULL? Had McNeese had one of their better teams, I'm sure it would happen at Tulane too. xwhistlex

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Didn't it happen when McNeese also went to ULL? Had McNeese had one of their better teams, I'm sure it would happen at Tulane too. xwhistlex
dont think so. Look at ULL's home side. Its a sea of Blue and Gold. xlolx

posted by Bluedog on TSPN.
http://sports.webshots.com/album/574509710hZuEEd

crossfire07
September 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM
those 17,500 seats will be just fine.

Bigmoneymike
September 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
those 17,500 seats will be just fine.

not when the jags come to town. Are they scheduled to play soon?

McNeese75
September 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM
not when the jags come to town. Are they scheduled to play soon?

Sure they will. Jags will get their 4-5,000 seats (maybe). Of course they can own the stadium if they all want to buy season tickets, xlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 7th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Sure they will. Jags will get their 4-5,000 seats (maybe). Of course they can own the stadium if they all want to buy season tickets, xlolx

Thats not going to happen, SU fans buying season books. Probably be the last time we will play due to lack of seating.

crossfire07
September 7th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Cowboy Stadium is big enough to hold Southern's home games (Avg home last year 16,323)so it is good enough for a road game. we have put 25,800 people in that stadium so pick another excuse.besides, there is still lots of time for Southern to back out. AGAIN!

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I think it will be the same reason Southern does not compete in the playoffs, they can't win so why play. Cowboy Stadium is big enough to hold Southern's home games (Avg home last year 16,323)so it is good enough for a road game. besides, there is still lots of time for Southern to back out. AGAIN!
SU averaged 20,000 plus before Katrina every season . Gustov also affected SU's attendence last season. Also alot of SU fans dont attend home games and only go to away games, because of how our administration handles tailgating. Man get on with that BS of SU cant compete.

Look @ ULL's home side. Nothing but a sea of Blue and Gold.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHbzwP1U6Xg&feature=channel

McNeese75
September 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Thats not going to happen. Probably be the last time we will play due to lack of seating.

Well, if you think you are going to come into Cowboy Stadium and get a majority of the seats you are in for a big surprise. The Stadium will be full and there will be plenty of SU fans but you will NOT have a majority.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Well, if you think you are going to come into Cowboy Stadium and get a majority of the seats you are in for a big surprise. The Stadium will be full and there will be plenty of SU fans but you will NOT have a majority.

I know we wont get a majority of the seats, which I understand, McNeese is the home team. Im just saying, McNeese has a huge opportunity to make a lot of money if it the game were to be moved to ULL. SU had more folks than ULL Saturday, and I know we would bring more next season if we played in Lafeytte again. 43,000>17,500

43,000* 24=$1,032,000
17,500*24=$420,000

You do the math.

McNeese75
September 7th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I know we wont get a majority of the seats, which I understand, McNeese is the home team. Im just saying, McNeese has a huge opportunity to make a lot of money if it the game were to be moved to ULL. SU had more folks than ULL Saturday, and I know we would bring more next season if we played in Lafeytte again. 43,000>17,500

43,000* 24=$1,032,000
17,500*24=$420,000

You do the math.

I understand your point. Money is important to our program but not if it means giving up home field. We supposedly had 12,000 for our game last week (although most think that number is low). So are you telling me Southern would bring 30,000 to ULL to see a game with McNeese? You did not even put that many butts in the seats when we played in your stadium.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I understand your point. Money is important to our program but not if it means giving up home field. We supposedly had 12,000 for our game last week (although most think that number is low). So are you telling me Southern would bring 30,000 to ULL to see a game with McNeese? You did not even put that many butts in the seats when we played in your stadium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxRWZLKGe70

SU had more fans on ULL side than UL had lol. Like I said earlier, some SU fans wont come to home games, because of the way the administration started handling tailgating. SU brings 30,000 to Jackson on a bi-yearly basis. The thing that will make it work is the fact the game would be in Lafeyette. Lafeyette is a party city. SU fans love to party. Trust me on this one.

GAD
September 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
The crowd was 60-40 SU. SU owns another stadium record in Louisiana. Also set a SUNBELT RECORD. Nicholls, Northwestern St, and ULL records are all owned by SU.
IF MCNEESE WAS SMART, THEY WOULD MOVE THE GAME TO ULL. 43,000 compared to 17,500 . Huge chance for a big payday. xthumbsupx
We can get it moved all we gotta do is figure out how to get McNeese to hire LaFlure before next season.......that way we could kill two birds with one stone lol!

McNeese75
September 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM
We can get it moved all we gotta do is figure out how to get McNeese to hire LaFlure before next season.......that way we could kill two birds with one stone lol!

xlolx ohhhhhhhhhhh hell no. You hired him, you keep him xnodx

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM

xlolxxlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Im SUre the city of lafeytte wants SU back in town acap, as every hotel in the area was sold out and all of the eateries, and clubs from lafeytte all to way to opp were jammed packed. Negociate with the city for them to cover stadium rentals and security. I dont think yall really understand how the Jag nation rolls. When SU plays the majority of the black community of BR follows. I know plenty of folks who came to lafeytte just to go to the clubs, and didnt even bother going to the game. Its that way every where SU plays.

McNeese75
September 7th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Im SUre the city of lafeytte wants SU back in town acap, as every hotel in the area was sold out and all of the eateries, and clubs from lafeytte all to way to opp were jammed packed. Negociate with the city for them to cover stadium rentals and security. I dont think yall really understand how the Jag nation rolls. When SU plays the majority of the black community of BR follows. I know plenty of folks who came to lafeytte just to go to the clubs, and didnt even bother going to the game. Its that way every where SU plays.

Not gonna happen xlolx We want our home game. I am sure you probably will get invited back by ULL, they won the game xwhistlex

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 7th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Not gonna happen xlolx We want our home game. I am sure you probably will get invited back by ULL, they won the game xwhistlex

Cool.

Bigmoneymike
September 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Why should southern even go to mcneese? I wouldnt have even made a deal with them to begin with.

Bigmoneymike
September 9th, 2009, 12:21 PM

greg has been taking a beating lately lol

McNeese75
September 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Why should southern even go to mcneese? I wouldnt have even made a deal with them to begin with.

xnonox Quit stirring the pot, you know why they are coming to Mcneese xnodx

McNeese72
September 9th, 2009, 03:37 PM
xnonox Quit stirring the pot, you know why they are coming to Mcneese xnodx

Yes, the Southern administration did the honorable thing in rescheduling the 2005 game and the McNeese fans are happy campers now with the Southern fans and administration. We've put all that behind us now, so leave it along.

Doc

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Yes, the Southern administration did the honorable thing in rescheduling the 2005 game and the McNeese fans are happy campers now with the Southern fans and administration. We've put all that behind us now, so leave it along.

Docxthumbsupx

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM
And outside of being honorable, I would hope that McNeese would hold them to the buyout.

With Southern hurting for money right now in a bad way, they couldn't afford it. SUjagTILiDIE, why'd your volleyball team start the second two weeks after everyone else? And playing road games at NAIAs an hour away? That stings!

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 9th, 2009, 06:55 PM
And outside of being honorable, I would hope that McNeese would hold them to the buyout.

With Southern hurting for money right now in a bad way, they couldn't afford it.

Dont believe everything you hear. SU spends more on athletics than any FCS school in the state.

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Dont believe everything you hear. SU spends more on athletics than any FCS school in the state.

They do...

Yet, considering they play fewer than the allowed baseball games every year (this is their premier sport or so I am told), start the volleyball season two weeks later than the rest of the nation (and play fewer games than the rest of the nation here too), continue to play sub-Div I teams on the road in non-revenue sports because it's a shorter drive than playing an actual Div I, etc - they are obviously not well-funded or failing to disperse the money appropriately amongst sports.

This is not 'hearing', this is 'seeing'...