PDA

View Full Version : Villanova vs. Temple Thread

Hoyadestroya85
August 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I couldn't help it, less than a week away. Villanova has yet another useless rivalry trophy to play for. With a veteran team returning, The 'Cats look primed for another playoff Run. I can't wait.

Ivytalk
August 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I thought this was going to be a smack thread!xlolx:p

Hoyadestroya85
August 28th, 2009, 10:10 PM
nah, theres enough of that going on right here http://villanova.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=1000&fid=562

93henfan
August 28th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Nova in OT.

Ivytalk
August 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Nova in regulation!

Head Cat
August 28th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Villanova. I don't care how long it takes us to win.

Hoyadestroya85
August 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I just want a villanova victory and 22 starters to be healthy enough to play against Lehigh.

ngineer
August 28th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Go 'Cats!! I hope they win by 3 TDs! ;)xthumbsupx

...will make September 12 all the more sweet!!!!;):D

LacesOut
August 28th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Lets go 'Nova!

caribbeanhen
August 28th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Villanova by more than a TD,,,Temple would be a tough team in the CAA though

Hoyadestroya85
August 28th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Temple's "fans" are talking like they just won a BCS bowl game. At least Delaware fans know that their ***** stinks.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I'm pumped!! I'll be at the Linc thrus night for the game. I say Temple by ten. Our talent level and depth is better than 'Nova is at this point. We're going to battle for one of the 3 bowl spots in the MAC.

31-21 Owls

Hoyadestroya85
August 29th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Didn't you graduate a lot from last year and lose a couple of decent players to suspension?

Hoyadestroya85
August 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM
How do you keep a Temple football player off your yard?

Put a goalpost on it.

http://k53.pbase.com/g3/60/649260/2/57692724.ENDZONEVIEW.jpg

Philliesfan980
August 29th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Tough game for me to root for, as I have season tickets for both programs. I really don't have a dog in this fight, but my gut tells me Temple pulls this one out.

Temple 28-17

Hoyadestroya85
August 29th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I think for temple to win, it has to be a low scoring game.. Temple lost a lot on offense this offseason and Villanova lost very little.

Philliesfan980
August 29th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I think for temple to win, it has to be a low scoring game.. Temple lost a lot on offense this offseason and Villanova lost very little.

They really only lost DiMichele, Francis, and Derenthal. Their running game, which was horrible last year, will be better. Vaughn Charlton is a nice QB, and might be a better pocket passer than DiMichele was. Their D will be much improved this year, it's actually the strength of their team.

Go...gate
August 29th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Villanova by a TD.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2009, 09:24 PM
All i know is if Villanova wins Lehigh should just wave the white flag and not even show up on the 12th. Villanova wins, they beat Lehigh by 17+ imo. I think Villanova is going to be good this year but i'm not sure they're going to be THAT good. Golden has done a great job of gettin local talent to attend Temple. He's gotten a number of very good players from PA and NJ.

ngineer
August 29th, 2009, 10:10 PM
This is a game Temple is supposed to win, which puts added pressure on a program that is expected to start 'turning it around.' Villanova sees this as a game to really make a statement. Last year they played a West Virginia team very tough in the Mountaineer's house. Virturally the entire team is back. Temple has to get out to a quick lead and build. The longer it stays a close game, or VU gets up, could cause panic in Owls' minds. Hopefully there will be a good crowd, however, the Eagles will be playing on TV Thursday night and Philly is not a college FB town. I would hope there would be at least 40,000 there, but I'll be surprised if more than 25,000 show up.

Wildcat80
August 30th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Nova has trouble with cross city teams. If they barely beat Penn I doubt they beat Temple. Temple's big game of the year is vs a CAA school--terrific!? Too bad they will not schedule us--we are getting alot of good Pa kids that would love to whup'em. UNH gets a head to head with Nova and a Ball State MAC reference too. Bigger question is how many fans show up.:)

Philliesfan980
August 30th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Nova has trouble with cross city teams. If they barely beat Penn I doubt they beat Temple. Temple's big game of the year is vs a CAA school--terrific!? Too bad they will not schedule us--we are getting alot of good Pa kids that would love to whup'em. UNH gets a head to head with Nova and a Ball State MAC reference too. Bigger question is how many fans show up.:)

Nah, it's not really the big game of the year. The big game of the year for Temple is probably their rematch with Buffalo later in the year. It might decide who wins the MAC East.

Philliesfan980
August 30th, 2009, 06:34 AM
This is a game Temple is supposed to win, which puts added pressure on a program that is expected to start 'turning it around.' Villanova sees this as a game to really make a statement. Last year they played a West Virginia team very tough in the Mountaineer's house. Virturally the entire team is back. Temple has to get out to a quick lead and build. The longer it stays a close game, or VU gets up, could cause panic in Owls' minds. Hopefully there will be a good crowd, however, the Eagles will be playing on TV Thursday night and Philly is not a college FB town. I would hope there would be at least 40,000 there, but I'll be surprised if more than 25,000 show up.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Temple is supposed to win this game. It's really an ultimate "no win" type scenario for Temple. If they win, great, it's because most IA teams should beat IAA teams. If they lose, it could cause their season to derail, because they'll be looking at 0-2 after going up to PSU and losing.

I read somewhere that they had already sold 22,000 tickets as of the beginning of last week. I could see somewhere between 27-30K at the game, but I'm already dreading the traffic disaster that's going to happen down in South Philly with the Phillies playing on the same night.

Hoyadestroya85
August 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I agree with pretty much everything you said. Temple is supposed to win this game. It's really an ultimate "no win" type scenario for Temple. If they win, great, it's because most IA teams should beat IAA teams. If they lose, it could cause their season to derail, because they'll be looking at 0-2 after going up to PSU and losing.

I read somewhere that they had already sold 22,000 tickets as of the beginning of last week. I could see somewhere between 27-30K at the game, but I'm already dreading the traffic disaster that's going to happen down in South Philly with the Phillies playing on the same night.

22,000? I heard that they were having a hard time selling tickets for this game and they were only selling at a rate of 50 a day from the temple side.

BDKJMU
September 1st, 2009, 11:54 PM

Nova has a lot back, but not "virtually the entire team" as you exaggeratexrolleyesx- they did lose 7 of 22 starters I believe.

Temple was 5-7 (4-4 MAC) last season and will be better. Their losses last yr were by 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 6, and 10. Only game they were blown out was Penn State. Temple will be one of the better teams in the MAC, finish above .500, and in a bowl (albeit a toilet bowl). Temple will win this one.

Heck, since I live only about 8 mi from the Linc and am off Fri, I might get me a ticket at the last minute and go.

89Hen
September 2nd, 2009, 08:35 AM
Heck, since I live only about 8 mi from the Linc and am off Fri, I might get me a ticket at the last minute and go.
xeyebrowx You better go. xmadx

IaaScribe
September 2nd, 2009, 08:42 AM
Temple installed as a 3-point favorite on pointspread.com. Vegas (or Aruba, as it may be) sees this as a toss-up.

phillyAPP
September 2nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Temple installed as a 3-point favorite on pointspread.com. Vegas (or Aruba, as it may be) sees this as a toss-up.

I'll agree with Vegas on this one. It's a toss up but I think Nova may have the MO from last year to Win at the end of the game. Winning in the past does help in close games.

I hope its a great game and I will be happy for the winner.

GannonFan
September 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
How do you keep a Temple football player off your yard?

Put a goalpost on it.

http://k53.pbase.com/g3/60/649260/2/57692724.ENDZONEVIEW.jpg

You know what's funny, you can use the same joke and for the Temple football player just insert "nova football fan". It's funny either way!!! xlolxxlolxxlolx

LehighFan11
September 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Temple fans won't be aware of what will hit them tonight. They expect dominance just because they are in the "FCS" but they will be shocked to learn Nova is actually more talented. I'll be sending that I told you so text message to a friend at Temple at about 10pm.

DSUrocks07
September 3rd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Nova in OT.

Nova in regulation!

Nova in the 3rd...after that xwhistlex

DSUrocks07
September 3rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
You know what's funny, you can use the same joke and for the Temple football player just insert "nova football fan". It's funny either way!!! xlolxxlolxxlolx

How do you keep a Nova football fan out of your yard...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1294/1217788085_c8ef55f678.jpg?v=0

Add seats xlolx

wideright82
September 3rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
GAME DAY!!!!!!!

Driving down to philly after work, should be an amazing game.

Philliesfan980
September 3rd, 2009, 09:47 AM
I'm driving down at 3:00 to participate in a pre-game tailgate. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm a fan of both teams, but I'd have to say Temple by 10.

aust42
September 3rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
How many people are expected to be at the Linc? 1000 Nova fans and 4000 Temple fans totaling 5K?

Philliesfan980
September 3rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
How many people are expected to be at the Linc? 1000 Nova fans and 4000 Temple fans totaling 5K?

I think I read this morning that 18,000 tickets have already been sold for the game, and I'd probably guess around another 2K-3K via walkup.

aust42
September 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
I think I read this morning that 18,000 tickets have already been sold for the game, and I'd probably guess around another 2K-3K via walkup.

18-20k is not too bad considering Temples attendance history. They should play every year. Wish I could come up for the game but just no way I could make it up in time.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
At work right now and i cant' wait. Leaving at 1:00 to go down!! Go Owls!!

Hoyadestroya85
September 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
I'll be tweeting at the game hopefully whenever a big thing happens.
www.twitter.com/TheFoyeEffect. I might put up a thread about it before i leave just as a reminder.

Philliesfan980
September 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
18-20k is not too bad considering Temples attendance history. They should play every year. Wish I could come up for the game but just no way I could make it up in time.

Temple hasn't been drawing *THAT* bad lately. They generally draw between 12,000 and 17,000. It's just really magnified when you play in a stadium that seats 60K. They'd be much better off if they just played in a smaller stadium on Temple's campus.

Also, this is the first year of the "Mayor's Cup". Nova signed a 4 year deal to play Temple, so we'll have this around for a while. Hopefully it's a competitive series so we'll have it around for a long time. College football always takes a back seat in this area because of the Eagles.

GannonFan
September 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Temple attendance figures are always to be taken with a grain of salt. Having actually been to multiple Temple games over the years, the numbers do seem to trend higher than what your eyes tell you are in the building.

With that said, this game easily reports an attendance of close to 25k, best guess about 10k to 15k actually there.

Philliesfan980
September 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Temple attendance figures are always to be taken with a grain of salt. Having actually been to multiple Temple games over the years, the numbers do seem to trend higher than what your eyes tell you are in the building.

With that said, this game easily reports an attendance of close to 25k, best guess about 10k to 15k actually there.

You might be right about the overreporting of numbers. I think a lot of Alumni have tickets, but don't necessarily use them. They're pretty cheap, and I think a lot of former Alumni figure it's a good way to support the school.

A good example of this would be my GF's father, who owns 6 seasons tickets, but it's often just me and a buddy at a game. Right there that's 4 tickets that aren't being used. They probably report attendance figures on # of tickets sold and not number of people going through the gate.

Hoyadestroya85
September 3rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
The bizarre thing about temple overrreporting their numbers is that Villanova seems to frequently underreport them The Colgate game was a prime example.. there were at least 2000 more people there than the official attendance figure.

JMU Newbill
September 3rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
I'll be rooting for Villanova tonight.

Redbird Ray
September 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Give em hell Nova!

Franks Tanks
September 3rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Temple folks are really confident about this game!!

I hope Nova kicks some ass big time tonight

blukeys
September 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
The bizarre thing about temple overrreporting their numbers is that Villanova seems to frequently underreport them The Colgate game was a prime example.. there were at least 2000 more people there than the official attendance figure.

was that a playoff game? All schools underreport for that. No need to give the money grubbers at the NCAA any more than necessary.

blukeys
September 3rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Ok for Hoyadestroya and the the other Nova folks on this board. Go Nova Beat Temple!!!
I know I am going to hate myself in the morning.

DSUrocks07
September 3rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
Ok for Hoyadestroya and the the other Nova folks on this board. Go Nova Beat Temple!!!
I know I am going to hate myself in the morning.

xlolx it will make the win on Nov. 21 so much better xwhistlex

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Go get 'em Cats!!!

GannonFan
September 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM

was that a playoff game? All schools underreport for that. No need to give the money grubbers at the NCAA any more than necessary.

Blukeys is right - most schools underreport playoff attendance, that's typical (although there is a poster on this site who swears that's impossible). I doubt nova does that for regular season games, based on my experience seeing games there (including several non-UD games).

ericsaid
September 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
I hope it's 'Nova by 17.

andy7171
September 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Nova 27 Temple 24, less than a minute!

93henfan
September 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Nova 27 Temple 24, less than a minute!

Uh, you're a little late to the party Andy.