PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra Names Starter

Uncle Buck
August 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Not sure i like it though...hoping to eat a lot of crow.

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics/300/VO/VOEUQNZYIUOGKRH.20090427233951.jpg

From the HU Athletic website:
Hempstead, NY - The battle for the starting job at quarterback has come to a close as Hofstra Head Football Coach Dave Cohen has announced that senior Cory Christopher will be the Pride's 2009 starter when the season begins on Saturday, September 5.

Christopher, a native of Miami, Florida who is in his third year on the Hofstra roster, will be the starter for the second consecutive season. Last year, he stepped into the starting role during pregame warm-ups of the season opener at Connecticut after anticipated-starter Bryan Savage went down with a back injury. A graduate of American High School in Miami who spent two seasons at Nassau Community College before Hofstra, Christopher started in the first seven games of 2008 before suffering a season-ending hip injury.

He completed 127 of 190 passes (66.8%) for 1,163 yards and four touchdowns, and rushed 106 times for 272 yards and five touchdowns on the season. Then-freshman Steve Probst stepped in to replace the injured Floridian for the remainder of the 2008 season and posed the biggest threat to Christopher for the 2009 starting job.

"It was a very difficult decision to make as both Cory and Steve bring many skills to the table," Cohen said. "But at the end of the day we had to go with the person who best controls the locker room, the sidelines and the field, as well as having the best handle of the system. That was Cory."

Christopher, who was also voted one of the team captains for 2009, completed 27 of 38 passes for a season-high 272 yards and a touchdown against Albany last September. He also completed 25 of 33 attempts for 265 yards against Rhode Island and completed 17 of 28 passes in his Hofstra debut at Connecticut.

LacesOut
August 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Does it even matter who the QB is for you guys, UB??!!

haha j/k

Good luck this season.

Uncle Buck
August 29th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Does it even matter who the QB is for you guys, UB??!!

haha j/k

Good luck this season.

Thanks for the vote of confidence xrotatehx

But no matter how the season goes, it's still a reason to get out and tailgate. xthumbsupx

PapaBear
August 29th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Don't remember much about Christopher from last year's game in Orono, but I do think Probst handled himself well in that game. So, either way, you guys should be in good shape at the QB position.

Uncle Buck
August 29th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Cory got hurt i believe right at the start of the third quarter, but Probst finsihed the game with 3TD passes and really played well for a true freshman.

I think Probst is better at throwing outside the numbers and on the move, but the coaches opted for the 5th year senior. I think either way our offense should be more stable this year, it's our undersized LB's that have me more concerned on the other side of the ball.

RamRay
August 31st, 2009, 03:35 PM
Just gotta ask:xeyebrowx

What ever happened to the really cool lion&lioness logo you had on the helmet? why the big block H?