PDA

View Full Version : Dartmouth fans read this

UNHWildCats
August 28th, 2009, 11:18 AM
ohhhh wait.... never mind xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

NHwildEcat
August 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I was going to say...don't you mean Dartmouth Fan...

Lehigh Football Nation
August 28th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Made me look. My dad, sister and brother-in-law are all Dartmouth alums. Plus I know someone who used to work in their athletics department.

Imagine if I'd went to Dartmouth? Dartmouth Football Nation? I'd have been sued for being mean to Native Americans.... and I'd probably be a normal human being. Wouldn't have traded what I have now for that life!

UNH 1999
August 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
HAHA. Nice one.

Green26
August 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM
It looks like Dartmouth has 17 Ivy championships since the league was founded in 1956--more than any other school--altho certainly down on their luck in the past dozen years.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/sports/ivy-champs.asp?intSID=3

bkrownd
August 28th, 2009, 05:41 PM
How the mighty have fallen...

Ivytalk
August 28th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Back in the day, Dartmouth was fearsome. They haven't done much in the past dozen years, but it would be great to see the program come back.xnodx

Just not at Harvard's expense!:p

Husky Alum
August 28th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Dartmouth educated NU's AD.

That's reason enough to loathe the school.

Green26
August 28th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I think UNH was 0-16 against Dartmouth until 1979. Since then, UNH has won 16 and tied 2.

Dartmouth may have the worst stadium in the Ivies now, but it is 5 times better than UNH's (high school stadium).

I recall when UNH's powerhouse and highly rated team, with Santos at qb, came to Montana in the playoffs several years ago--and got stomped by Montana 47-17.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 29th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I think UNH was 0-16 against Dartmouth until 1979. Since then, UNH has won 16 and tied 2.

Dartmouth may have the worst stadium in the Ivies now, but it is 5 times better than UNH's (high school stadium).

I recall when UNH's powerhouse and highly rated team, with Santos at qb, came to Montana in the playoffs several years ago--and got stomped by Montana 47-17.

Actually, UNH's first win over Dartmouth was in 1973, 10-9 in Durham. Dartmouth won the next game played in 1976. The following game was a 10-10 tie in 1979. UNH won again in 1980, 24-7, then UNH won in 1984 through 1987, 38-10, 23-7, 66-12 and 41-3. In 1990 Dartmouth tied UNH 10-10. I believe UNH has won 11 straight games over the Big Green since that time.

Yeah, Memorial Stadium is better than Cowell Stadium, but it is a shell of its former self and doesn't compare very favorably with its Ivy partners. Why wouldn't it be better than Cowell with all the Ivy League money compared to the public in a state that hardly supports the academic side of its flagship? And those superior facilities have really helped the Big Green. xrolleyesx It's got to be embarrassing for Dartmouth Alum and former players to acknowledge how far your football program has fallen. Is that why you post as a Montana fan?

Not sure what a Montana win over UNH has to do with Dartmouth's poor performance in the past years? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx During the same season UNH beat Dartmouth 45-24 in Hanover.

This past November, I'm coming out of the library in Boca Grande, FL and I see a couple getting out of a car with NH license plates so I strike up a conversation. I ask where in the state they're from and they reply Hanover and ask if I know where that is. I respond sure, I was just there in late September to watch the UNH-Dartmouth football game. No lie, their immediate response was "oh my god, we shouldn't even be playing UNH"! How the times have changed from when I was in school when the cocky, arrogant, pompous Dartmouth people thought they were too good to play little ol' State U. Now they think they shouldn't be playing UNH because they aren't good enough. It's really sad when you watch so many FCS teams accepting the challenge and be willing to give their best against FBS teams. Then at the same time so many of the Ivies won't even accept the challenge of playing all of FCS nor compete in the playoffs. xsmhx

Green26
August 29th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Didn't notice UNH on this list. Good luck with your football team in your high school stadium. Certainly, none of my teams ever lost to UNH.

"Dartmouth College, meanwhile, had the highest mid-career salary for the second year in a row.

The top 5 for mid-career median salaries were:

1. Dartmouth (Ivy League) $129,000
2. MIT (Engineering) $126,000
3. Harvard University (Ivy League) $126,000
4. Harvey Mudd College (Engineering) $125,000
5. Stanford University (Engineering) $124,000"

biobengal
August 29th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Didn't notice UNH on this list. Good luck with your football team in your high school stadium. Certainly, none of my teams ever lost to UNH.

"Dartmouth College, meanwhile, had the highest mid-career salary for the second year in a row.

Dartmouth grads have the highest median mid-career salary........I almost spit up my beer. Let me put this to you mildly, you're a tool. xlolx

brownbear
August 30th, 2009, 07:01 AM
They just renovated Memorial Stadium about 2 years ago, building new stands on the visitor side and a new press box. The other side looks bad, but I think I saw somewhere that they were going to renovate that side as well soon.

I'd put Dartmouth's stadium ahead of the concrete monster at Columbia (that stadium's hideous, and really far away from campus).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Once again, I'm not sure what that has to do with Dartmouth Football.

Despite our crappy stadium, I'm quite proud to follow my alma mater's football team and have no need to jump on another school's bandwagon. And as long as I keep meeting quality people on the coaching staff/ among the players/within the player's families/within my fellow alumni, the team keeps achieving despite those crappy facilities and virtually no in-state talent base to rely on, the team keeps getting recognized by the NCAA for its graduation rate, the team keeps playing hard and up to their capabilities, then I intend to keep following my team. It's much better than being say Princeton and having arguably the best stadium in FCS but mediocre teams. I'd love a nice stadium, but I can live with the positive traits demonstrated by the UNH Program.

Only on the day that UNH ceases to have a team would I ever become a fan of another school regardless of where I live. My bond with UNH is that strong. I'm sorry that you didn't develop the same type of bond with Dartmouth. Maybe if you and your fellow former players and alumni had, then your football program wouldn't be where it is today. xpeacex

IvyIsGreen
August 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Wouldn't you rather play in a historic stadium with the home stands absolutely full, then a new behemoth where your fan support looks like 10% of the stands? Memorial is slated for some modernization, and when the Green are back at the top and their is higher demand there are easy ways to add stands. Yes, highest median salary two years in a row. Watch out for the Green over the next 3 years.

Green26
August 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Look UNH Alum in Conn, you don't seem to get it. You and some UNH posters started this thread, and have been talking trash and disrespecting Dartmouth, and you yourself starting talking about the money Dartmouth has. I defended Dartmouth a bit, pointed out some of its prior history against UNH, and gave you some evidence that Dartmouth alums do in fact seem to do okay economically (again, you started raising that subject). Others like Ivy Talk were nice enough to point out some of the positives of Dartmouth football in the past.

I grew up in Montana, live there now, and attend every home Griz game, as well as some road games (including Cal Poly, JMU and Richmond last season). I love my home state and am a big fan of Montana athletics. I also continue to follow and support Dartmouth. I have attended over 75 Dartmouth games since I graduated, including many after I returned to Montana. I will attend 2 games in Hanover this fall, both for celebrations around Ivy championship teams. These don't include the 1970 team reunion, which will be in another year. Because you appear not to have much knowledge of history, that team was undefeated, won the Lambert Trophy (over Penn St., etc.) and was ranked no. 14 in the nation in Division I. I have attended multiple football games in Hanover in recent history, in part to watch a relative play and to see one of my kids play rugby. I attended the UNH/Dartmouth game you mentioned. I also attended the game in Durham the next fall.

I can see that you think you have alot to say, now that UNH's program has reached the upper levels (but still can't get it done in the playoffs) and Dartmouth's program is completely down on its luck. Dartmouth will come back. UNH may or may not stay in the upper echelon. However, I highly doubt that UNH will ever come close to achieving the overall success and rich tradition and history that both Dartmouth and Montana have achieved.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Look UNH Alum in Conn, you don't seem to get it. You and some UNH posters started this thread, and have been talking trash and disrespecting Dartmouth, and you yourself starting talking about the money Dartmouth has. I defended Dartmouth a bit, pointed out some of its prior history against UNH, and gave you some evidence that Dartmouth alums do in fact seem to do okay economically (again, you started raising that subject). Others like Ivy Talk were nice enough to point out some of the positives of Dartmouth football in the past.

I grew up in Montana, live there now, and attend every home Griz game, as well as some road games (including Cal Poly, JMU and Richmond last season). I love my home state and am a big fan of Montana athletics. I also continue to follow and support Dartmouth. I have attended over 75 Dartmouth games since I graduated, including many after I returned to Montana. I will attend 2 games in Hanover this fall, both for celebrations around Ivy championship teams. These don't include the 1970 team reunion, which will be in another year. Because you appear not to have much knowledge of history, that team was undefeated, won the Lambert Trophy (over Penn St., etc.) and was ranked no. 14 in the nation in Division I. I have attended multiple football games in Hanover in recent history, in part to watch a relative play and to see one of my kids play rugby. I attended the UNH/Dartmouth game you mentioned. I also attended the game in Durham the next fall.

I can see that you think you have alot to say, now that UNH's program has reached the upper levels (but still can't get it done in the playoffs) and Dartmouth's program is completely down on its luck. Dartmouth will come back. UNH may or may not stay in the upper echelon. However, I highly doubt that UNH will ever come close to achieving the overall success and rich tradition and history that both Dartmouth and Montana have achieved.

In all due respect Green26, I didn't post anything until you brought up the results of our games, our stadium and us getting pounded by Montana. And I never mentioned anything about how Dartmouth grads do economically, I'm smart enough to know Ivy grads are always going to be high earners. The only money item I brought up was that Dartmouth as an institution has much more money than UNH. With that money and Dartmouth's football history, it's a no brainer that your stadium is going to be better than UNH's. I didn't start this thread and I stayed out of it until your post. You rarely see me in the Smack Forum and only get involved when I feel the need to defend UNH.

I'm an old fart so I know very well how successful Dartmouth was in the past. That's why that 1973 win will always be one of my all time UNH memories although I had to listen to it while working rather than watching it at Cowell. It's also why it is so painful for me to see what has happened in Hanover (and throughout the Ivy). It's painful to see you drop Colgate and UNH to play Sacred Heart. Yeah, you've had a rich tradition, but it is getting farther and farther into the rear view mirror. And it has been 33 years since Dartmouth has defeated UNH. I'm sorry if the truth is viewed as being disrespectful, it wasn't intended to be so. Although, with all the disrespect that I and other UNH people (see Gordon Shumway posts) have endured over the years from Dartmouth people, it doesn't surprise me if my tone was a bit over the top. It has been over 36 years since I've been a student at UNH, but I still vividly recall how much vile abuse we endured from Dartmouth students and alumni when you were at the tail end of your glory years. And it was in person, there was no Internet in those days! Anything that Maine, BU or UMass fans spewed was tame in comparison. IMO, my replies have been very civil in comparison.

And there's no way UNH nor the vast majority of FCS could ever match the success that Dartmouth had almost over 40 years ago because it's a different world today. And how many teams in FCS can match Montana's success, few and far between. I'm proud that UNH has worked its way up to the next tier. We have crappy facilities and probably won't ever have anything too great compared to Montana, Delaware, App State, etc. And as long as we have high academic standards for athletes and have to rely on out-of-staters, it is always going to be a difficult row to hoe in Durham. We may never get it done in the playoffs and I can live with that. We may make it to an occasional semi-final or championship game, but I doubt we'll ever be a consistent participant. Hopefully like in 2002 when I thought UNH couldn't ever do better than 7-4 while playing in our current league, I'll be proven wrong. Just doing what they've done is a fantastic achievement based on the reality in Durham.

You know, this post is the first time I recall you stating anything about your ongoing relation with Dartmouth or why you were associated with UM. I've always found it very odd for a former player (I picked up on that back when you first started posting) to post under another team's banner. I probably shouldn't have assumed some things and zinged you, but when you slapped UNH, I got defensive. I hate these kind of threads and I especially dislike it when another UNH person starts them. But frankly, you're just as much to blame as rather than laughing at the reality that there is only one Dartmouth poster on here (IvyIsGreen, you're a Montana poster), you fired back at UNH. And even in your last reply you couldn't write it without taking a dig at UNH. But I'll agree to bow out of this and apologize for insinuating that you had no involvement with Dartmouth any longer. xpeacex

Wildcatman
August 30th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Well said UNH Alum CT.

Green26
August 30th, 2009, 10:50 PM
UNH, I guess you don't realize that Montana's color is not green (as in Green26). Dartmouth's main color is green. 26 was my number--at Dartmouth not Montana.

What was the point of accusing me of posting as a Montana poster and not as a Dartmouth poster? I post info about both schools, altho more about Montana because that is where I live. There isn't an option to have helmets from two schools, to my knowledge.

You admit that Dartmouth has more money than UNH. Where do you think the money comes from? It obviously comes primarily from its alums. Thus, you raised the money subject, not me.

You, along with some of the other UNH posters, were talking trash. I responded. I didn't start the banter with you; you started it with me.

When UNH played Montana in the playoffs, I met various UNH people, invited some to my box, and introduced them to some UM people who were knowledgeable about how UM initially raised funds for its new stadium. Your d-line coach at that time was my former teammate, Steve Stetson. At that time, there were some at UNH who wanted to explore upgrades to your stadium or build a new one. I treated UNH and its people with respect, both before and after the game.

Thanks for your post.

griz37
August 30th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Dartmouth grads have the highest median mid-career salary........I almost spit up my beer. Let me put this to you mildly, you're a tool. xlolx

You just figured out what Egriz posters have known for years! xlolx

Gordon Shumway
August 31st, 2009, 04:08 PM
It's also why it is so painful for me to see what has happened in Hanover (and throughout the Ivy). It's painful to see you drop Colgate and UNH to play Sacred Heart.

UNH_Alum....I have carefully edited out most of your post so I can stay out the fray with Green26. The last thing anyone should want is to get me started on Dartmouth.xlolx All I am going to say is his launching that salvo about mid-career salaries pretty much puts in perspective everything we have said about the arrogance and condescension we dealt with all those years ago. So I should thank him for making our case for us.:D

The real reason for this post is a question on that scheduling comment you made. I know Dartmouth was trying hard to get out of the series, so by your comment I guess they were successful. Is the series done, or are they just taking a break for a few years? As you can tell I don't get much UNH news down here in the heart of Gator country.

I just looked at the schedule dates, and realized I will be flying into NH for the weekend of the Dartmouth game for a reunion of sorts with old friends. I am going to have to get creative, and find a way to get to that game. A good Dartmouth thrashing can still bring a smile to my face.

Big Al
August 31st, 2009, 04:57 PM
There isn't an option to have helmets from two schools, to my knowledge.

It can be done.

Green26
August 31st, 2009, 07:04 PM
While most Dartmouth fans are happy about getting rid of UNH, they also aren't happy about the low quality initial replacements. Dartmouth is actually deferring its last 2 games with UNH, for 4 years. Dartmouth's last year with Colgate will be 2011. Holy Cross will remain on the schedule. I don't know why.

Dartmouth has played these 3 teams for far too many years. While nice teams to play, it's boring to play the exact same non-conference schedule every year.

Several years ago, I personally worked to get Dartmouth to dump UNH, to schedule Montana. While Dartmouth could have gotten clobbered, at least it would have been a different game in a different place. I had hoped the contract with UNH would have ended then.

GATA
August 31st, 2009, 07:13 PM
Wait a minute...the Big Green play football?

This is UNBELIEVABLE!

bulldog10jw
August 31st, 2009, 10:16 PM
Wait a minute...the Big Green play football?

This is UNBELIEVABLE!

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ivyleague/dartmouth/yearly_totals.php

School: Dartmouth College

Stadium: Memorial Field (1923)

Current Capacity: 20,416

First Year of Football: 1881

Record: 1-0-1

All Time Football Record

643-420-46