PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Cherry

89Hen
August 28th, 2009, 10:19 AM
There are some teams that could be contenders this year that have never made the playoff field. Who do you think is most likely to make their first ever playoff appearance this year?

TheBisonator
August 28th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I wish I could say NDSU, but I have a strange bad feeling about this season after seeing what Indiana State did last night. Maybe it just gave me a bad taste in my mouth about football in general. I can't say that I feel more confident about the Bison today compared to last night. Maybe I need to go watch some more practices or something.

So I'll just say that I think UC Davis has a good chance to break out and get a playoff berth.

OL FU
August 28th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Can I pick twoxconfusedx

danefan
August 28th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I think Holy Cross has the best chance.

EDIT: Now I want to withdraw my vote since HC made the playoffs in 1983 (loss in the QF to Western Carolina).

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 28th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I'm gonna go with HC for the autobid.
North Dakota State loses Roehl and their top receivers and will have a new QB.
South Dakota State's schedule is just too tough (again).
Elon can play with the best in the SoCon but has no consistency.
Liberty will have an uphill battle to get in with the Big South being better this year.
Probably no Great West team will do well enough to get an AL bid and the NEC and PFL have zero chance for an AL.

darell1976
August 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Its either going to be Cal Poly or UC Davis out of the GWFC so i am going with UC Davis.

93henfan
August 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Has Towson been in the playoffs before, because that would have been my choice?

89Hen
August 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I think Holy Cross has the best chance.

EDIT: Now I want to withdraw my vote since HC made the playoffs in 1983 (loss in the QF to Western Carolina).
Did they really? xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx Ahhh, that was so long ago they're like born-again virgins. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
August 28th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Can I pick twoxconfusedx
I almost allowed multiple choices, but those polls always end up with weird results IMO.

ASUG8
August 28th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'll say Liberty - Eloan has a shot if they don't implode at the end of the season.

OL FU
August 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I almost allowed multiple choices, but those polls always end up with weird results IMO.

That's true. I would like to pick Elon and Liberty. I think Elon has a really good shot at it but and unexpected loss or to in the SoCon could do them in. I think Liberty should go undefeated in the BSouth but hell if you can stumble in Clinton, you can stumble anywhere.

still pondering.

DX Man
August 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM
North Dakota Statexthumbsupx

89Hen
August 28th, 2009, 11:04 AM
That's true. I would like to pick Elon and Liberty. I think Elon has a really good shot at it
That was my vote. I would have voted for Holy Cross but the idiot that did this poll forgot they actually did make the playoffs prior to the PL barring participation. xnonono2x

PhoenixSupreme
August 28th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Have to vote for my alma mater, cuz you know....it's my alma mater

Skjellyfetti
August 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I went with Elon. I think the Socon could get 3 in this year.

GSUhooligan
August 28th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Does anybody else play 3 teams on this list?

Geez, we have a rough schedule.

OL FU
August 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM
That was my vote. I would have voted for Holy Cross but the idiot that did this poll forgot they actually did make the playoffs prior to the PL barring participation. xnonono2x

xlolx

JayJ79
August 28th, 2009, 05:31 PM

No, they have not.

JALMOND
August 28th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I chose Liberty just because they were so close last year. I think if they are just as close as last year, the committee will take them. Maybe a sympathy vote, but they should have been in last year.

UNIFanSince1983
August 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I picked SDSU for a homer type vote. Wanted to go with someone in the conference, and I think they have a better shot than NDSU.

They have a tough schedule and really need to replace a big part of their offense (Berry now gone at QB). They do, however, get to play UNI, SIU, and NDSU at home. If they win 2 of those 3 and then don't stumble against some of the weaker competition in the MVFC they have a very good shot.

th0m
August 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Do you honestly think Towson will end up even in the top half of the CAA South?

93henfan
August 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Do you honestly think Towson will end up even in the top half of the CAA South?

Honestly? No. xlolx

http://media.pegasusnews.com/img/photos/2008/06/11/Jon-Lovitz-ACTING_t250.jpg

th0m
August 29th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Good then we're on the same page ;) Sarcasm is sometimes hard to read over the internet ;)

ASU_MBA
August 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I picked Elon.....I think the SoCon puts in 3 this year

aceinthehole
September 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Why is there no love for CCSU. :(

After scoring 22 unanswered points and racking up 457 yards in offense against Columbia, CCSU is 2-1 (all on the road) heading into NEC play.

Albany has one nice win, but if CCSU can run the table and finish 10-1, with wins over Lehigh, Columbia, Albany, and Monmouth, is that enough?

With all due respect to my UA fans/supporters here. They were blown out at UMass. They have a good game at GSU and a nice win over Maine. But CCSU is in the same/better position heading into NEC play. I think we have as much of a shot at an at-large as the Danes if we can run the table in conference play! Our only loss is a 19-point loss to a Top-5 team on the road.

And who has Dayton beat???? Dayton's non-conf wins are vs NEC teams, which CCSU will have in their conference resume! Including the Flyers was just silly.

Dane96
September 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I think at 10-1....CCSU has to be in the discussion. I mean it would be pretty ridiculous if they weren't.

If UA finishes 9-2....it isnt enough because the close loss at GSU kills them. I think the blowout to UMASS (as disgusting as it was...and i still have dry heaves from that one)...isnt going to look as bad as it should.

Depending on today's outcome for UMASS...I personally believe that that team is not only a playoff team...but a championship contender. It really comes down to Haven's...because that Defense is phenomenal.

aceinthehole
September 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I think at 10-1....CCSU has to be in the discussion. I mean it would be pretty ridiculous if they weren't.

If UA finishes 9-2....it isnt enough because the close loss at GSU kills them. I think the blowout to UMASS (as disgusting as it was...and i still have dry heaves from that one)...isnt going to look as bad as it should.

Depending on today's outcome for UMASS...I personally believe that that team is not only a playoff team...but a championship contender. It really comes down to Haven's...because that Defense is phenomenal.

I fully agree. A win at GSU and the 2-1 non-conference record against AQ conferences would have been very impressive for Albany. The bad loss at UMass wouldn't weigh as heavily. Depending on this week's outcome, I also think UMass could be a NC contender. But at this point UA really can't be considered as an at-large contender.

On the flip side (homer and all), I think CCSU should be getting some more consideration for polls, and should be on the radar for playoff consideration. I don't think the wins at Lehigh and Columbia are great because of the strength of the opponents (I think both teams were overhyped). But watching the games and looking at the stats CCSU was very controlling in both wins. The numbers back up the fact they were "good" wins. And like UMass, if W&M can beat UD, I think you have to look harder at our road loss. The Tribe is also a NC contender and we played well in the loss to #5 team at Zable.

I will be very disappointed (but not suprised) if CCSU is not knocking on the door of the top-25 this week. The good thing for UA/CCSU is the game will be considered a "good win" for the victors.

DetroitFlyer
September 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Any team at 10-1 will be in the mix. Even Dayton, if we get there.... For the Flyers, losing to a Division II team pretty much eliminates the outside shot, but you never know as there is still a bunch of football to be played. Heck, the NEC is getting better. CCSU could be knocked off by an SFUP or Robert Morris or Bryant or Duquesne if any of them have a good day.... I will hold to what I have been saying for years, no NEC team is going to the playoffs until next year with the autobid. A 10-1 CCSU team would be heading to the PFL champions site for the last GIC. Same for a 9-2 Albany team....

RabidRabbit
September 26th, 2009, 11:29 PM
If Jacks pull out the win in SLO next week, they're pretty well set to make the play-offs. xthumbsupx

Big Al
September 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM
If Jacks pull out the win in SLO next week, they're pretty well set to make the play-offs. xthumbsupx

Honestly, I only see the Jackrabbits losing one game in conference play and I bet that one will be a barn burner.
xthumbsupx

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Two (and a half) made it! Congrats to all the people who chose Elon and South Dakota State and my apologies once again for putting Holy Cross on there and duping all you people into picking them. I'll give you credit for being correct too. xhurrayx

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 04:44 AM
And shame on you: 4th and What?, apppackdad, Bison_Kent, blukeys, caribbeanhen, DX Man, JaxSinfonian, JohnStOnge, Pitz, TheBisonator, TTUEagles, UD77, UMStudent and WCU LawCat who were eliminated back in September. :p

Tod
November 24th, 2009, 05:26 AM
And shame on you: 4th and What?, apppackdad, Bison_Kent, blukeys, caribbeanhen, DX Man, JaxSinfonian, JohnStOnge, Pitz, TheBisonator, TTUEagles, UD77, UMStudent and WCU LawCat who were eliminated back in September. :p

xlolx