PDA

View Full Version : Texas State makes Baton Rouge Sports Talk Radio

JohnStOnge
December 10th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I guess it's kind of good news. I don't think anybody has ever talked about I-AA playoff games when I've been listening to Baton Rouge sports talk radio unless I brought it up.

But this morning I turned on the radio to hear a regular caller to the "Saturday Morning Huddle" show talking about how...you guessed it...he saw one of the stupidest things he's ever seen a coach do (his opinion, of course).

I think you can guess what I'm talking about.

He even said the team involved should fire its head coach. Of course I'm sure he's not aware that the head coach involved was the first to get the program into the I-AA playoffs. But he went on and on about how the guy betrayed his players by pulling the string on them. There was the not-unexpected opinion that the coach took the edge off his players psychologically by expressing lack of confidence in them.

Then there was an ensuing series of calls ranging from this year's LSU/Tennessee game to the famous Notre Dame/Michigan State national championship tie expressing disdain for playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

A benefit was that it led him to mention that LSU's regular season opponent, Appalachian State, is playing Furman today for the other spot in the championship game.

golionsgo
December 10th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I guess it's kind of good news. I don't think anybody has ever talked about I-AA playoff games when I've been listening to Baton Rouge sports talk radio unless I brought it up.

But this morning I turned on the radio to hear a regular caller to the "Saturday Morning Huddle" show talking about how...you guessed it...he saw one of the stupidest things he's ever seen a coach do (his opinion, of course).

I think you can guess what I'm talking about.

He even said the team involved should fire its head coach. Of course I'm sure he's not aware that the head coach involved was the first to get the program into the I-AA playoffs. But he went on and on about how the guy betrayed his players by pulling the string on them. There was the not-unexpected opinion that the coach took the edge off his players psychologically by expressing lack of confidence in them.

Then there was an ensuing series of calls ranging from this year's LSU/Tennessee game to the famous Notre Dame/Michigan State national championship tie expressing disdain for playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

A benefit was that it led him to mention that LSU's regular season opponent, Appalachian State, is playing Furman today for the other spot in the championship game.

There was also a thread about the game on one of the LSU fan message boards. You know it's a major deal when LSU fans are discussing the outcome of a I-AA game because they don't think football exists outside of the SEC.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 10th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Why won't people shut up about that? It wasn't as risky as Bailiff said it would be but what he did was kind of like not going for a half-court shot right before the buzzer. Did it cost them the game? Most likely not.

BCisforBobcatTX
December 10th, 2005, 04:23 PM
About a minute and a half left with all three timeouts and a Payton semi-finalist at the helm....In all likelihood, it probably didn't cost Texas State the game, but EVERYBODY hates to see the offense just take a knee with the game tied. The crowd could not believe what they were seeing, myself included. Bailiff's still my boy, but he screwed up right there.

eaglesrthe1
December 10th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Why won't people shut up about that? It wasn't as risky as Bailiff said it would be but what he did was kind of like not going for a half-court shot right before the buzzer. Did it cost them the game? Most likely not.

Two minute offenses are a part of every teams game. I doubt that any basketball team wastes time practicing half court shots, but all football teams do two minute drills. It certainly did not cost them the game, but it definitely could have won them the game. It wouldn't qualify for the Bobby Lamb "Go For Two Award", but it was a significant coaching blunder.

golionsgo
December 11th, 2005, 02:46 AM

It's absolutely NOTHING like going for a halfcourt shot right before the buzzer...not even remotely close. Throwing a Hail Mary from midfield into the endzone maybe, but not having the ball around your own 25 with 1:27 and a full allotment of timeouts.

Would Texas State have scored? Maybe, maybe not, but given the way they had moved the ball all night, I think the chances of marching into field goal range were, at the very least, average and surely a lot better than UNI forcing a turnover.