PDA

View Full Version : UMass-Kansas State Game

KAUMASS
August 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM
UMass is definately under the radar this year. I'm not predicting a championship year, but UMass is going to surprise some people this year. UMass is going to pound the ball this year with a strong offensive line and a great back with Nelson. Our offensive line is going to be better than last years, averaging close to 6'5, 307. Our o- line has 7-8 guys that played quite a bit last year.
We are losing a 4 year poster boy QB, but with our run game, we should be ok. Defense will be improved, as there is only one way to go, which is up from last year.... Our kids seem to have more comraderie this year, and I believe better senior leadership. You can never under-estimate guys that like each other and want to win. We have a new coach, but the same system as he was the OC the last few years..= no learning curve

Umass will run for at least 100 yards in this game. They may not win, but they should be able to control the clock and keep it close. K-State's defense last year was bad, period. I believe 118th in FBS against the run. The new DC for K-State is the guy from Mayland, who ironically, our former head coach D. Brown replaced as DC @ Maryland. His defenses at Maryland weren't known for bieng stout, put it that way. They were not attacking defenses, so I don't think K-State is going to push us around. Whoever our QB is going to be, as long as they can complete some passes to keep K-State's run defense honest, the game should be close.

This will be a good test for this new UMass team..if they keep it close, I think UMass will be in the playoff hunt come November. If they get blown out, it will be a so-so year 6-5, 5-6 kind of year.

Redbird Ray
August 27th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I'll be pulling for UMass just as I pull for almost all FCS teams against FBS. If UMass is really a legit top 25 FCS team, this could be a pretty good game.

EmeryZach
August 27th, 2009, 03:16 PM
This has the potential to get ugly. I really don't think our defense is going to do much this year, and even though K-State isn't a quality FBS team they should be able to handle us pretty well. (Especially with Josh Jennings possible career ending back injury)

I am also quite nervous about how Coach Morris has been insinuating that the reason he has not selected a starting QB yet is because neither Havens or Woodward has impressed him. That is not a good sign at all. Even with a great line and running back, like we have, you can't run the ball every play.

I am hoping for the best but bracing for the worst. I will be displaying my UMass flag proudly in front of my house. But those of you who know me know that I am a pessimist.

GO UMASS!!

TTUEagles
August 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I hope you guys beat them up a little bit, and then we can come into Manhattan on Sept 26 and give them some competition. I'm more than certain that UMass is better than TTU is at this point (understatement), but I'm optimistic that we have some athletes to hang around with them for at least a little while...no delusions of winning, but, want to get a little respect. I'll bet the K-State fans are just LOVING their schedule (but, should be used to it!).

danefan
August 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I'm definitely pulling for UMass.

A close game against KState coupled with an Albany win over GSU could lead to a big match up on September 12th!

smcwildcat
August 27th, 2009, 03:27 PM
is the LB out for season?

Jackman
August 27th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I hope you're right, KAUMASS. I'm trying to resist typical UMass cynicism, but I'm just getting a bad vibe from this team. Here's to hoping that they throw my stupid "vibe" back in my face.

EmeryZach
August 27th, 2009, 10:34 PM
is the LB out for season?

Well the team hasn't officially said whether or not Jennings will play this year, but one of the UMass beat writers has been blogging about how the injury is worse than what is being reported.

All speculation I might add.

BearsCountry
August 27th, 2009, 11:19 PM
With this being Snyder's first game back, I would expect K-State to be ready to go.

bkrownd
August 28th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Snyder, hmm...too bad we didn't catch them under Prince again.