PDA

View Full Version : S.C. State is not satisfied with just making FCS playoffs

bosshogg
August 27th, 2009, 09:02 AM
S.C. State is not satisfied with just making FCS playoffs

ORANGEBURG -- After years of frustrating, disheartening near misses, South Carolina State finally hit the mark in 2008.

The Bulldogs ran the table in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, winning the conference title by a three-game margin.

The reward for the first outright MEAC title and double-digit win season in 14 years was a spot in the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs for the first time since 1982.

"Yeah, we finally got over the hump, somewhat," said Buddy Pough, who is 57-24 in seven seasons.

"The first thing we learned from the whole affair was that now we do belong. But at the same time, we believe that just getting in isn't enough. We'd like to be in a position to get a home game and actually make some real noise in the playoffs. The challenge is to do more, and I think we have that capability."

The 2009 season will provide the best evidence yet of the relative strength of the program that Pough has assembled.

click here for rest of article - http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/aug/27/moving-forward/

Bam
August 27th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Good luck. As a EKU fan I now the frustration about getting to the playoffs, but exiting too early.

ASUG8
August 27th, 2009, 09:20 AM
With both Ford and Long back this season they should have a good shot again - they brought a fine squad into Kidd Brewer last season. xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
August 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM
S.C. State is not satisfied with just making FCS playoffs

ORANGEBURG -- After years of frustrating, disheartening near misses, South Carolina State finally hit the mark in 2008.

The Bulldogs ran the table in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, winning the conference title by a three-game margin.

The reward for the first outright MEAC title and double-digit win season in 14 years was a spot in the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs for the first time since 1982.

"Yeah, we finally got over the hump, somewhat," said Buddy Pough, who is 57-24 in seven seasons.

"The first thing we learned from the whole affair was that now we do belong. But at the same time, we believe that just getting in isn't enough. We'd like to be in a position to get a home game and actually make some real noise in the playoffs. The challenge is to do more, and I think we have that capability."

The 2009 season will provide the best evidence yet of the relative strength of the program that Pough has assembled.

click here for rest of article - http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/aug/27/moving-forward/

I really think SCSU could not only sweep the MEAC and make the playoffs but perhaps win one or two games. You guys have a great RB duo and I think with Long back at QB and a solid defense you should go far. The only problem I have seen is the loss of McFadden and if you lose 1-2 more stars on defense I could see it being a problem but as long as you don't lose anymore stars like him you guys should be fine.

4th and What?
August 27th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Welcome to JMU's pain. SC State will need a seed to avoid playing in Kidd Brewer again in the first round this season assuming App State is as good as they are expected to be.

The question then is can SC State get a seed this year? Even if they go undefeated apart from the USC game I'm not sure they would get a seed. After having a very good showing at App State last season in the first round, but still coming up short, I am assuming "making noise" means actually advancing past the first round. Best of luck, SC State definately turned some heads last season, and as a JMU fan, I'll be cheering for you to run the MEAC again :)

89Hen
August 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Welcome to JMU's pain. SC State will need a seed to avoid playing in Kidd Brewer again in the first round this season assuming
I disagree. First, I don't think there's any way SCSU can get a seed without beating USC (too bad they don't open with a confused USC). The only possible ranked teams they will face this year are FAMU and maybe Grambling, neither of which will crack the top 15.

However, I don't think they need a seed to actually host a game. If they go 10-1 I will wager you a cap they host a first round game (they may even host at 9-2 but I wouldn't wager that one). It will very much depend on the field. If App, Wofford and Elon make it, I think either WC or Elon will travel to SCSt this year. The Committee, while certainly biased to larger crowds (and SCSt can actually be one of the larger first round games) is also biased to spreading it around once they get past the AppSt, Montana, GSU, UD contingent. xpeacex

jmufan999
August 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM
The question then is can SC State get a seed this year?

you can't be serious.

89Hen
August 27th, 2009, 11:10 AM
you can't be serious.
Hampton was the 3 seed in 2005. Like I said above, I don't think SCSt has much of a chance to get a seed, but it's not like it's an impossibility. xpeacex

WestCoastAggie
August 27th, 2009, 03:26 PM
The MEAC must handle their OOC biz for SCSU OR FAMU (favorites to win the MEAC) to get a Seed and host a 1st round game.