PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Forecast - Georgia Southern

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 26th, 2009, 09:58 AM
The Good - Vastly improved OL should mean fewer turnovers and sacks. Could very well have the best LB corps and secondary in the SoCon. GSU shouldn't have to use up games experimenting to find an identity. The positions with the most question marks have promising young players (see: the Bad). xthumbsupx

The Bad - tough OOC schedule with Albany, South Dakota State, and North Carolina. Games on the road in Boone, Elon, Birmingham, and Spartanburg. The D-line and wide receiver positions will be question marks. xoopsx

The Verdict - Don't underestimate Chris Hatcher. He comes from a DII job where he won nearly 90% of his games with a system that will be fully in place this year. In 2008 GSU was one of the worst teams in the FCS in turnovers, sacks allowed, and penalties and still managed to win 6 games and lost to the three best SoCon teams by a combined total of 4 points. If things come together reasonably well for GSU this year, they have a decent shot at being SoCon champs.

ButlerGSU
August 26th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Is it just me or is there no poll in this thread?

AshevilleApp2
August 26th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Nope there's a poll. I went with 8-3, but GSU could easily win more games.

My question is how many Georgia Southern fans will implode if they don't make the playoffs again?

Eaglesrus
August 26th, 2009, 10:16 AM

My question is how many Georgia Southern fans will implode if they don't make the playoffs again?

I would say a handful, but they will of course be the most vocal folks around. Most of my fellow GSU fans that I talk to expect next year to be the year that we are really back, but are hopeful that we'll see more progress this year than we really expect.

OL FU
August 26th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I think how well GSU & FU do this year are the big questions in the SoCon.

Sorry Eagles, I think next year is your year. I kinda think the same for FU. :(

but I have been wrong before.

89Hen
August 26th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Could be the toughest to gauge in the SoCon. Could be 4-7, could be 9-2. xeyebrowx

JDC325
August 26th, 2009, 10:39 AM

None left to implode, most of us imploded when the AD decided to destroy the program with the hire of VanGoofer. None of us have gotten use to the losing but most have come to the realization that getting back to the days of domination and reloading instead of rebuilding are still a work in progress.

With a decent BCS team on the schedule I think we have a 50/50 shot at the playoffs this year but like a good portion of GSU fans I still think we are a year away of being totally back on a solid foundation again.

I hope other programs who have gotten spoiled with success like App learn a good lesson that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

ASUMountaineer
August 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I voted 7, but would love to see more. There's no team I love to beat more than the Stink, and want to beat them when they're making playoff runs...just like most rivalries, it's not good unless both teams are winning games.

AshevilleApp2
August 26th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I would say a handful, but they will of course be the most vocal folks around. Most of my fellow GSU fans that I talk to expect next year to be the year that we are really back, but are hopeful that we'll see more progress this year than we really expect.

I hope you're right. I remember how our fans bitched after 2003-2004. And ya'll have a better track record then we did, or do to date.

drpnut
August 26th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Ga. South vs. Albany: Eagles 45-28
Vs. SDSU: GSU in OT 31-28
Vs. UNC: Eagles put up a fight but fall 37-24

Vs. Western C.: Cats want revenge after last year's debacle, but Eages prevail, 35-28
Vs. Elon: Elon is trying to get to the top, Eagles clip them for their big road win: 27-24
vs. Sammy: Eagles pull out a nail biter: 21-14
Vs. ElCid: I just have a feeling the Eagles click on all cylinders and destroy ElCid: 38-17
Vs. Woffy: I think it will be close, but because the "ankle-biters" are home it goes to the pups:28-21
Vs. Chatty: Eagles are tired of letting Chatty hang around and put the smack down on the mocs: 45-21
vs. Appy: Will be a better game than most expect. The Eagles have the talent to upset the 'neers, but the "magic of Kidd-Brewer" along with AE and company prove too much: Appy 35-20
vs. Furple: I believe the mystic of Paulson still needs some time to be re-established. Eagles beat Furman last year in Furple country, and this year is turn-about: Furple wins 27-24 in OT.

REcord : 7-4, 5-3

AshevilleApp2
August 26th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I think how well GSU & FU do this year are the big questions in the SoCon.

Sorry Eagles, I think next year is your year. I kinda think the same for FU. :(

but I have been wrong before.

I hope you're wrong about at least one of the two. Parity has its virtues, but it's just not the same without the traditionally dominant programs being in the mix. Mind you, Furman needs to lose about 7 more in a row to App. But I'd still like to see you back in the playoffs.

james_lawfirm
August 26th, 2009, 11:06 AM
The Good - Could very well have the best LB corps and secondary in the SoCon.

Just to argue a minor point - Apps LBs & DBs won't be too bad either.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 26th, 2009, 11:11 AM

We will probably have to have a losing season for people to implode. But missing the playoffs 4 seasons in a row will not be easy to swallow even if we beat ASU, Elon, Wofford, Furman, UNC, and lose every other game.

I voted 7, but would love to see more. There's no team I love to beat more than the Stink, and want to beat them when they're making playoff runs...just like most rivalries, it's not good unless both teams are winning games.

I've got a feeling GSU-ASU will be one of the biggest games in the SoCon race this year. xthumbsupx It would be awesome for GSU and ASU teams to be undefeated going into that game, but I don't think that'll happen.

ASUMountaineer
August 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM
We will probably have to have a losing season for people to implode. But missing the playoffs 4 seasons in a row will not be easy to swallow even if we beat ASU, Elon, Wofford, Furman, UNC, and lose every other game.

I've got a feeling GSU-ASU will be one of the biggest games in the SoCon race this year. xthumbsupx It would be awesome for GSU and ASU teams to be undefeated going into that game, but I don't think that'll happen.

I'd be up for it. The atmosphere would be awesome. I imagine it would be like the 1999 seaons when we scored the first upset of GSU of my time in Boone.

DX Man
August 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I went with 7 wins and 2nd place in the SoCon.

ASUG8
August 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I went with 6, but it could easily be 8 - seems the boys from Statesboro are a real wild card this year so most anything can happen. I'm really only concerned about one game, however......xrolleyesx

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM
First three games are important. I think OOC games will have a good deal more to say about the playoffs this year than most. I am of the firm opinion that it's going to be one of those win two, then lose one seasons for just about everyone. Those OOC wins could end up being big.

Seven Would Be Nice
August 26th, 2009, 02:19 PM
9 wins.

Close losses to UNC and App. 2nd place in the Socon.

*keeps fingers crossed*

OL FU
August 26th, 2009, 02:34 PM
9 wins.

Close losses to UNC and App. 2nd place in the Socon.

*keeps fingers crossed*

So what is really being smoked in your avatarxsmiley_wix

Seven Would Be Nice
August 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM
So what is really being smoked in your avatarxsmiley_wix

No wacky tabbacky here...

Granted, I'm on the optimistic side of things, but last year we played a lot of close games. We lost 3 games by 4 points, and won 3 games in OT (out of 4). If this year we turn the corner, as coach thinks it might be, we have the potential to be a VERY good team. We do have lots of ?'s though, like our WR and DL. So we could drop every pass in an air raid attack, and give everyone 7 yards up the gut all season and go 3-8. Who knows at this point. But I'm a pretty optimistic guy and I'd like to think this is the year things click and we get back to the playoffs.

OL FU
August 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM
No wacky tabbacky here...

Granted, I'm on the optimistic side of things, but last year we played a lot of close games. We lost 3 games by 4 points, and won 3 games in OT (out of 4). If this year we turn the corner, as coach thinks it might be, we have the potential to be a VERY good team. We do have lots of ?'s though, like our WR and DL. So we could drop every pass in an air raid attack, and give everyone 7 yards up the gut all season and go 3-8. Who knows at this point. But I'm a pretty optimistic guy and I'd like to think this is the year things click and we get back to the playoffs.

Yeah I think it is a big who knows and nothing wrong with optimismxthumbsupx

eaglewraith
August 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Let's see...I only have one way to describe what waits for everyone this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA

Saint3333
August 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Ga. vs. Appy: Will be a better game than most expect. The Eagles have the talent to upset the 'neers, but the "magic of Kidd-Brewer" along with AE and company prove too much: Appy 35-20

I do hope that ASU wins, but I would never lay double-digits in an ASU-GSU matchup. In the modern era (since 1987) they are 9-9 with only 36 points separating the two in scoring during those 18 games. ASU and GSU should be preseason SoCon game of the year every year.

Seven Would Be Nice
August 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Let's see...I only have one way to describe what waits for everyone this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA

I thought that was going to be a link to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H17FiqKA6lY&feature=related

ericsaid
August 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I say 10 games.

parr90
August 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I think 'GSU will be much better this year than last. Hatcher has finally gotten some players in to run his system and they didnt really run it until last years Furman game were I was impressed. I think we will surprise folks this year and next year may be another title year. 2011 will return the same team as 2010. I know folks are going to hate to see a couple more titles added to the six. We will have to get another flag pole.

seantaylor
August 26th, 2009, 09:49 PM
We will have the fastest team in the conference, and are really talented but pretty young. I just don't trust this coaching staff that much. 9 wins, but we lose against a bad team we shouldn't. IE UTC or Samford or Citadel.

straightshooter
August 26th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I have full faith in Hatcher. The guys knows how to win, and he's a tremendous QB coach. If I'm going to throw it 40+ times a game, I want Hatcher coaching me. He's finally getting the type of player required to run his offense. At the same time, the D line has great size and the LB and DBs have great speed. The Eagles might be a year away, but they could really surprise a lot of people in '09. The early OOC games will say a lot about how the season will go. If the Eagles start 2-0, look for 8+ wins