PDA

View Full Version : Which FCS Week One Game Should Be Televised?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM
We'd all like every FCS game to be televised, but of course that's not always the case. Thought I'd start a poll to determine which game is the biggest omission in Week One in terms of televised/online games.

For reference, you can use the following link to find out which FCS games are televised and are online:

http://college-sports-source.appspot.com/Scores.html?subd=FCS

RabidRabbit
August 25th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Weber St vs Wyoming should be a good game that most won't see. This definitely has the potential for an FCS winner.

ASUG8
August 25th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Of this list, Albany/GSU could be a good one.

appmaj
August 25th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Albany/GSU

Silenoz
August 25th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Weber State and Nova are the two I most want to see

OhioHen
August 25th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I voted Albany at Georgia Southern. It's the only FCS vs. FCS on the list.

elon77
August 25th, 2009, 10:00 AM
How about Elon vs Davidson?xlolxxlolxxlolx Had to go with my Socon boys GSU.

biggie
August 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Wouldn't mind Rich/Dook being on, just in the hope UR would win.

OLDMAIN80
August 25th, 2009, 10:25 AM
If I didn't have anything else to do on opening day I would watch Albany/GSU and maybe Richmond/Duke.

turbodean
August 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I picked Richmond. If it can be only one, then the Champs should get the nod. Also, I think they will give Duke a game and would love to watch them win it.

kdinva
August 25th, 2009, 11:20 AM
What kind of $$ guarantee did Temple give 'Nova, for that 11-mile bus ride?xcoffeex

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I picked Richmond. If it can be only one, then the Champs should get the nod. Also, I think they will give Duke a game and would love to watch them win it.
If there can be only one win, I hope it's them too. Good to have our defending champ beat a BCS team (albeit Duke) to open the season. xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 25th, 2009, 11:43 AM
SIU should definitely have a shot against Marshall, too.

Surprised nobody's taken UMass/Kansas State, unless fans have such a dim view of their chances that they don't want to watch the game... :D

Hoyadestroya85
August 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I only voted for Villanova-Temple, because not only does it have a chance to be a game, but it's also a bit of a homer pick. Honestly though, it's the only game on that list that:
a) Is being played for a trophy
b) Is a heated rivalry
c) The schools are in the same state (with the exception of SFA and SMU)
d) Is being played in a major city.

andy7171
August 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I voted for Richmond/Duke. But Nova/Temple would be nice.

...I'll be watching Towson/Northwestern on the Big10 channel.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I think Richmond / Dook could develop over time into a decent 'rivalry' game (kinda like Appalachian/Wake). It would be nice to see the Spiders bring some pain to the Dookies but I just don't see it happenin'. Dook will again be improved this year - how much depends upon their line play and how fast some of their young skill players develop.

I went with Albany/GSU --- with the 'Danes getting a big dose of the Statesboro Blues :)

matboz
August 25th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Southern Illinois - Marshall -- has a chance to be a decent game.

Go...gate
August 25th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Villanova-Temple. Should be a hell of a good football game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 25th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Obviously I'm going to want to watch my team above all others, but if not for GSU-UA I'd pick SIU-Marshall. I'd love to watch MU get beat by an FCS. Personally, I'd pick App. State versus ECU because it's an interesting matchup. As long as Armanti Edwards is 100% and playing though.

ur2k
August 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I went with the homer vote - UR/Dook. I want to be able to record the game so when I get back from the game, I can watch our victory again on DVR.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 25th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Just checked again (and updated the site), and found out that technically these two games are being broadcast online (at this point, not on broadcast TV):

Villanova at Temple (All MAC-cess)
Albany at Georgia Southern (DaneZone/EagleVision)

Still a chance they might get picked up locally.

caribbeanhen
August 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Villanova will beat Temple and might win with relative ease

Richmond will have a tough time beating Duke, but it could happen

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 25th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Just checked again (and updated the site), and found out that technically these two games are being broadcast online (at this point, not on broadcast TV):

Villanova at Temple (All MAC-cess)
Albany at Georgia Southern (DaneZone/EagleVision)

Still a chance they might get picked up locally.

Does anyone know about this MAC-cess program? Is it any good? How much to watch the game?

I picked Richmond/Dook for this poll ... but would love to see the Villanova/Temple game ... go Cats!xbowx

Hoyadestroya85
August 25th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Temple-Villanova should be competitive, but i'm not 100% sure of the outcome. I think Villanova can win, but a win for Villanova would be playing a competitive game with zero injuries. I want a win, but i want a game without injuries more.

LacesOut
August 25th, 2009, 08:16 PM
1) Richmond/Duke

1a) Nova/Temple

Lehigh Football Nation
August 25th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Does anyone know about this MAC-cess program? Is it any good? How much to watch the game?

I picked Richmond/Dook for this poll ... but would love to see the Villanova/Temple game ... go Cats!xbowx

All MAC-cess can be gotten through the College Sports Direct (http://www.collegesportsdirect.com/) site, or through the MAC's conference site (http://livegames.mac-sports.com/). I'm not sure how much it costs.

coover
August 25th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Weber St vs Wyoming should be a good game that most won't see. This definitely has the potential for an FCS winner.

If Weber State is as good as it is supposed to be, this may be the best game week 1

KiddBrewer
August 25th, 2009, 11:26 PM
richmond/duke got my pick.

apppackdad
August 25th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I voted Villanova-Temple.
Same city rivalry, BIG 5. It really needs to generate some heat. Besides, is there any FBS program as bad as Temple for the last 20/30 years.
If Villanova wants to be considered a legitimate FCS or even conference title contender they NEED to win this game.
Also,Richmond has absolutely let Duke off the hook a couple of times. Come on SPIDERS we know you are the better team. Make another statement!:)

jmufan999
August 26th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I only voted for Villanova-Temple, because not only does it have a chance to be a game, but it's also a bit of a homer pick. Honestly though, it's the only game on that list that:
a) Is being played for a trophy
b) Is a heated rivalry
c) The schools are in the same state (with the exception of SFA and SMU)
d) Is being played in a major city.

wow, that was much more involved than my answer is going to be. all good points, though.

i say Nova, but only because that's the only team on the list that will beat an FBS team. only team ON THAT LIST (repeated in caps before someone gets all whiny).

jmufan999
August 26th, 2009, 10:37 AM
If Villanova wants to be considered a legitimate FCS or even conference title contender they NEED to win this game.

this is going to sound contradictory to my previous post, but it's not.

saying that ANY FCS team NEEDS to beat an FBS team to be considered a national/conference title contender.... is a completely ridiculous statement. FBS schools win a HUGE percentage of the time, they have a "leg up" on FCS teams. can they beat Temple? absolutely. will they beat Temple? i think so. but if they don't, it says nothing about their chances on the national stage and they are without a doubt as talented as Richmond is. two excellent, excellent teams. and even if both get blown out by their respective FBS foes, it means nothing... at all.

JMU got blown out by Duke last year and had our 2nd best season in school history.

Hoyadestroya85
August 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Temple isn't a goat like they were in years past.. It's a winnable game from Villanova's perspective, but it's not a gimme. Hopefully, The Cats can catch Temple while they're breaking in a new quarterback.

GannonFan
August 26th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Temple isn't a goat like they were in years past.. It's a winnable game from Villanova's perspective, but it's not a gimme. Hopefully, The Cats can catch Temple while they're breaking in a new quarterback.

Temple's not that much better than in years past - they just have the MAC schedule to pad the W's onto the record whereas before they had a much tougher overall schedule. Heck, Temple's something like 0-4 against Navy during the same time period Delaware is 2-1 against Navy - Temple's not as good as some make them out to be.

Hoyadestroya85
August 26th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I know they're not as good as some think, but they're not as bad either. If you look at their schedule last year, they had a lot of close losses. I know the MAC sucks, but they came within a Hail Mary of beating buffalo, who won that conference. They should be better this year, but who knows..

GannonFan
August 26th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I know they're not as good as some think, but they're not as bad either. If you look at their schedule last year, they had a lot of close losses. I know the MAC sucks, but they came within a Hail Mary of beating buffalo, who won that conference. They should be better this year, but who knows..

But they are also breaking in a new QB as well. Granted, they're not as bad as the dark days of the '90's, but they are clearly a step below Navy and I'd be hard pressed to but Navy in the top half of FBS.

Hoyadestroya85
August 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM
If The 'Cats run the ball and stop the run, they have a very very good chance of winning.. but I don't think Whitney will be able to win the game if he's forced to throw the ball 30+ times.

93henfan
August 26th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I might come up for that game. When is it and how much are tickets? Hopefully they don't charge the same $20+ for parking like Eagles games either.

OL FU
August 26th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I voted Albany at Georgia Southern. It's the only FCS vs. FCS on the list.

xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
August 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I might come up for that game. When is it and how much are tickets? Hopefully they don't charge the same $20+ for parking like Eagles games either.

Thursday the 3rd at 7pm? Tickets are reasonable.. 15-25 bucks I think. I doubt they'll charge that much for parking haha.

93henfan
August 26th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Thursday the 3rd at 7pm? Tickets are reasonable.. 15-25 bucks I think. I doubt they'll charge that much for parking haha.

Damn. Thursday is one of the days of the week I actually do some real work. No can do. Good luck to your Wildcats.

Hoyadestroya85
August 26th, 2009, 11:53 AM
It was the worst scheduling job in history. Not only do the Phillies have a game across the parking lot at the same time, but The Eagles have a preseason game with Vick probably getting a lot of action the same night. It's almost like Temple is trying to sabotage their program.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 26th, 2009, 12:01 PM
It was the worst scheduling job in history. Not only do the Phillies have a game across the parking lot at the same time, but The Eagles have a preseason game with Vick probably getting a lot of action the same night. It's almost like Temple is trying to sabotage their program.

So let me get this straight: they are playing third banana on local TV to the Phillies and a *preseason* Eagles game. Good luck trying to find an TV outlet for that... yeesh. Is WHYY available? Then the game could be a public service... xbawlingx

93henfan
August 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Wow, that truly is horrific scheduling. xnonono2x

Yeah, I'll be watching the pit-bull handler that night with the Phils on picture-in-picture getting my tailgate gear ready for the annual epic UD-WCU matchup the following night.

GannonFan
August 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Agreed - heck, it's not like Friday wasn't an option - Phils are out of town then and there's no Eagles game to compete against. I understand the whole Labor Day weekend thing but it's not like students from either of those schools actually go to the games.

Hoyadestroya85
August 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Agreed - heck, it's not like Friday wasn't an option - Phils are out of town then and there's no Eagles game to compete against. I understand the whole Labor Day weekend thing but it's not like students from either of those schools actually go to the games.

I know, and you'd get more alumni from outside the area if the game wasn't on a weeknight. Another example of why Temple sucks at life.