PDA

View Full Version : University of Montana plans to make bid to host FCS title game

elkmcc
August 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM
http://www.missoulian.com/news/local/article_9b46dc16-9137-11de-9149-001cc4c002e0.html

BDKJMU
August 25th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Montana in early January. That's nuts xeekx

ASU_MBA
August 25th, 2009, 01:34 AM
brrrrrr......kinda crazy since few FCS schools are in the area....

CSN Log
August 25th, 2009, 01:40 AM
08-25-2009 01:33 AM

University of Montana plans to make bid to host FCS title game

University of Montana officials told Missoula’s businesses community Monday they want to bid for the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision national title game in 2010.

University administrators and athletic officials presented the idea in a late-afternoon meeting with representatives of the Missoula Area Chamber of Commerce, Missoula Convention and Visitors Bureau, Mayor John Engen and others gathered at the Canyon Club, atop Washington-Grizzly Stadium.

UM’s stadium can compete well with other FCS venues, they said.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/08/25/university-of-montana-plans-to-make-bid?blog=2#more5470)

NHwildEcat
August 25th, 2009, 05:59 AM
It could be fun to watch a game in the snow...

Bull Fan
August 25th, 2009, 06:09 AM
A real championship game played in real football weather. Outside of the travel distance for the fans, what's not to like?

Green26
August 25th, 2009, 06:19 AM
We have to play in the southern heat, humidity and rains; why not play in the northern tier winter? The Green Bay Packers do.

Here's a link to Missoula climate data: http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/montana/missoula/

Personally, I think this is a silly idea, which likely won't go very far. UM's stadium is a great venue for football--especially when it's full of partisan fans--and Missoula is a great town. However, it's a long trip for most I-AA fans, airfare is usually expensive, and Missoula isn't exactly a destination area/resort--especially in the winter--even compared to Chattanooga. I'd rather go to Chattanooga (and I live in Montana).

Ronbo
August 25th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I don't think it should be awarded to any University that consistantly makes the finals. Playing at Marshall was hard.

AppStsGr8
August 25th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I don't think it should be awarded to any University that consistantly makes the finals. Playing at Marshall was hard.

Then Chattanooga it is!

Agree with you on that point. It wouldn't make sense to have finals now at App, UM, JMU, Richmond, etc right now. The other issue is the town's ability to accommodate fans other than in the stadium - airline access, hotels, restaurants, non-football attractions.

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I have a hard time believing Missoula would be at the top of the candidate list for the Division I title game. The selection committee would be hard pressed to move it from Chatty to begin with and on top of that, to put it in Missoula? Doubtful.

FCS Go!
August 25th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Anyone who has had to fly into Missoula in the winter should know this is a no go. I would estimate I've had a 40% failure rate in landing in Missoula between mid-Dec & mid-Feb. Fans (& teams) would be none too pleased with that 3 hour bus ride from Helena or Great Falls. I know there is skiing to be had but I can't see students paying $1000+ for a day or two in Missoula either. IIRC hunting season is done by then as well.

Whoops! I forgot about ice fishing!

grizzpaw
August 25th, 2009, 07:52 AM
$$$ talks to the NCAA so if its a lot of money watch them make a BAD decision! i can't make it to tenn. out of montana because of money now they want them to fly here-no chance!

Silenoz
August 25th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I bet a decent number of Griz fans would go to the game though, regardless of who was playing. I'd make the drive from Bozeman

grizzpaw
August 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM
yes i would go also, but it's NEVER going to happen!

Green26
August 25th, 2009, 09:58 AM
FCS, the Missoula airport has a new fog buster spray that has been very effective at eliminating fog at the airport. When the temperature is in a certain fairly large range, the spray is almost 10% effective. Thus, landings and takeoffs are now fine, except in big snow storms.

Missoula has nice restaurants and terrific bars. While no BBQ, lots of places to eat. Missoula bars are better and more numerous than Chatty. Hotels/motels are fairly numerous. There's more interesting stuff for a tourist in and around Chatty, than in the Missoula area in the winter.

The possible unduly cold weather, which doesn't occur much in Missoula but does sometimes, would be the deciding negative factor for me. Also, the occasional big snowstorm, which could clog or shut down local and regional airports, would be a negative. These two things occurred right before the NC game last December. It was so cold that the Griz couldn't practice outside (and don't have an indoor facility), and a big snowstorm impacted and shut down some airports, including Spokane. A good chunk of Griz fans, including some parents, were unable to get out of Spokane and missed the NC game.

Fan support from Montana would presumably be good to very good, and much better than Chatty. It would have to be good, as I don't think attendance from eastern, southeastern and southern schools would be very good.

NHwildEcat
August 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
FCS, the Missoula airport has a new fog buster spray that has been very effective at eliminating fog at the airport. When the temperature is in a certain fairly large range, the spray is almost 10% effective. Thus, landings and takeoffs are now fine, except in big snow storms.

Missoula has nice restaurants and terrific bars. While no BBQ, lots of places to eat. Missoula bars are better and more numerous than Chatty. Hotels/motels are fairly numerous. There's more interesting stuff for a tourist in and around Chatty, than in the Missoula area in the winter.

The possible unduly cold weather, which doesn't occur much in Missoula but does sometimes, would be the deciding negative factor for me. Also, the occasional big snowstorm, which could clog or shut down local and regional airports, would be a negative. These two things occurred right before the NC game last December. It was so cold that the Griz couldn't practice outside (and don't have an indoor facility), and a big snowstorm impacted and shut down some airports, including Spokane. A good chunk of Griz fans, including some parents, were unable to get out of Spokane and missed the NC game.

Fan support from Montana would presumably be good to very good, and much better than Chatty. It would have to be good, as I don't think attendance from eastern, southeastern and southern schools would be very good.

Maybe they should work on building their team an indoor facility so that they can indeed practice when one of those large storms rolls in...

Native
August 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Great idea! xthumbsupx

Cameron Higgins would be able to lead Weber State to the 2010 national championship in a stadium with which the Wildcats would already be familiar! xsmiley_wix

xpeacex

putter
August 25th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I remember the semi-final game against UMass...one of the coldest games I have been to. It was one of the best atmospheres I have ever been in also but I froze my butt off.

Hammerhead
August 25th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I doubt the championship game will be moved anywhere west of the Mississippi any time soon given the lack of FCS teams out west.

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 11:43 AM
xnodx I know I don't want to relive the Marshall Invitational (even though the Hens never got there for the actual finals).

Plus, what kind of costs are you looking at to fly to Missoula? xoopsx

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 11:45 AM
$$$ talks to the NCAA so if its a lot of money watch them make a BAD decision! i can't make it to tenn. out of montana because of money now they want them to fly here-no chance!
I don't see how the city could afford to bid a lot for this. My guess is most of the people at the game would be from Missoula and the surrounding area. I can't see it being a boon for tourism. xeyebrowx

Big Al
August 25th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I see Missoula as being even less likely than Cedar Falls.

I seriously doubt it would ever happen.

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I see Missoula as being even less likely than Cedar Falls.

I seriously doubt it would ever happen.
I'd have to believe the UD quarterfinal game in 2007 pretty much sealed the deal for CF too. You can't have it somewhere where's there's a pretty good chance the airport could be snowed in.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 25th, 2009, 12:10 PM
xnodx I know I don't want to relive the Marshall Invitational (even though the Hens never got there for the actual finals).

Last year when I thought UNH might get shipped out West, I looked into airfare and it wasn't pretty. Going to Salt Lake City wasn't too bad, but flying anywhere near Missoula (even Spokane) was expensive. I don't recall the specifics, but I recall that if UNH got sent to Missoula, that I was going to fly to Las Vegas on one airline then take an airline that caters to gamblers that had a non-stop into Missoula. Believe it or not that was going to be cheaper and wouldn't require a car ride through the mountain passes.

No doubt in my mind that UM and Missoula would be fantastic hosts, but I just don't see the championship game being held out there in January. Too far from the majority of FCS schools and the weather offset all the positives IMHO. Of course if nobody else bids................... xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex If UNH were lucky enough to make it, I'd be there with the skinny skis in tow. xthumbsupx

Aho_Old_Guy
August 25th, 2009, 12:12 PM
If Spivey's Corner can bid to host the Super Bowl then Missoula can bid to host the FCS Championship.

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 12:15 PM
No doubt in my mind that UM and Missoula would be fantastic hosts
I should have said that too. I'm sure it would be a blast, but there are too many obstacles IMO.

danefan
August 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM

For purposes of comparison here is what flights are running now to Missoula on Jan 5, 2010.

From Charlotte - 2 or 3! stops - $600
From Philadelphia -2 stops $543
From Savannah GA - 3! stops - $530
From NYC - 2 stops $510

crossfire07
August 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM
It would go against the whole point of having it in ch00 ch00. a central location in the U.S. and it just does not make sense to have a championship game in conditions most teams will never experiance. now if they was looking for the toughest place to play a game then they are the winner hands down.if you have never been to a game up there in the winter you have not been to a game in the winter time. after you go up there and leave with a loss you ask yourself how hell could be so cold :)

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM
For purposes of comparison here is what flights are running now to Missoula on Jan 5, 2010.

From Charlotte - 2 or 3! stops - $600
From Philadelphia -2 stops $543
From Savannah GA - 3! stops - $530
From NYC - 2 stops $510
Ouch. About what I expected.

Hoyadestroya85
August 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
IF they were going to play the game somewhere in a less than ideal climate, they would play it somewhere on the East Coast. I'd try to get somewhere like that new stadium UCF has or somewhere along the gulf coast. No Stadium too big that it would look like a joke with all the empty seats (think ACC championship game,) but no stadium too small where it would be tough to get tickets. If they played the game in Missoula.. I'm not sure how many people would go. If Montana was in the game it would be great, but if it was two east coast teams then it could be a disaster.

danefan
August 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
IF they were going to play the game somewhere in a less than ideal climate, they would play it somewhere on the East Coast. I'd try to get somewhere like that new stadium UCF has or somewhere along the gulf coast. No Stadium too big that it would look like a joke with all the empty seats (think ACC championship game,) but no stadium too small where it would be tough to get tickets. If they played the game in Missoula.. I'm not sure how many people would go. If Montana was in the game it would be great, but if it was two east coast teams then it could be a disaster.

I actually think the stadium will be packed to the brim regardless of who is in the game. But it will be with Montana fans. Those folks love them some FCS football.

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I actually think the stadium will be packed to the brim regardless of who is in the game. But it will be with Montana fans. Those folks love them some FCS football.
Maybe. GSU hosted the game several times...

GSU vs SFA = 25,725
GSU vs Nevada = 23,204
YSU vs Marshall = 12,667

grizzpaw
August 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM
the fans from montana would be a GREAT addition for the team that we liked!xeekx

danefan
August 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Maybe. GSU hosted the game several times...

GSU vs SFA = 25,725
GSU vs Nevada = 23,204
YSU vs Marshall = 12,667

But you can also look at 1994 - YSU vs. Boise St. @ Marshall. 27,674. Only ~4,000 dropoff from the years with Marshall playing.

Gordon Shumway
August 25th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Since it opened, I've also felt the UCF stadium would be ideal. Arguably the tourist capital of the world, endless hotel rooms, tons of cheap air flights in and out of Orlando, great weather, and on & on. Capacity of 45,000 would be plenty of seats without looking too empty. Only down side would be no local host team to help boost attendance. BCC & Florida A&M draw around 70,000 every year in the Florida Classic in Orlando, but that is a lot more than just locals. It is doubtful that attendance would be very predictive of what a championship game would draw outside the participating schools followers.

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM
But you can also look at 1994 - YSU vs. Boise St. @ Marshall. 27,674. Only ~4,000 dropoff from the years with Marshall playing.
Youngstown > Huntington = 5 hours xpeacex

crossfire07
August 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM
double those ticket prices and you will be closer to reality. charters are far more exspensive than commercial flights. a 65 seat aircraft from McNeese to App State is 65,000 and the more seats the more you pay.

McTailGator
August 25th, 2009, 01:18 PM
http://www.missoulian.com/news/local/article_9b46dc16-9137-11de-9149-001cc4c002e0.html

HOUSTON,

You have a problem...

http://assets.bizjournals.com/story_image/250212-120-0-1.jpg

Talking to a few folks here in H-Town, the Greater Houston Sports Authority (GHSA) is looking to bring as many sporting events to H-Town as possible. The subject of approaching the NCAA to bring in ALL of their D-I Fall and Spring championships to H-Town in the same week has been discussed. They will not get baseball becasue Omaha has that loked in for another 10 years I believe.

BUT, if the NCAA wants one city, the GHSA has the $$$$ to make it happen.

I sure would like to see it in Houston. Soccer, Vollyball, FCS, Tennis could all be played in a 2 block radius in Downtown Houston between MinuteMaid Park, Toyota Center, Dynamo Stadium, and the Brown Center. Great bars, resturants, hotels. GREAT time to be had by all.

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I sure would like to see it in Houston. Soccer, Vollyball, FCS, Tennis...
Ugh. Being lumped in with soccer, volleyball and tennis? Is that really what we're down to? xoopsx

grizband
August 25th, 2009, 01:35 PM
While I would love to see the title game in Missoula (I would attend regardless of the Griz involvement), I don't see the logistics of this scheduling. The city has plenty of hotels and things to do, but airfare into town is expensive (unless schools charter flights, which is what the Griz fans often do). A game played in cold weather would be awesome, but would this limit fans of southern teams from making the trip (Wofford fans can attest to how cold Missoula can be in November).

Hoyadestroya85
August 25th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Since it opened, I've also felt the UCF stadium would be ideal. Arguably the tourist capital of the world, endless hotel rooms, tons of cheap air flights in and out of Orlando, great weather, and on & on. Capacity of 45,000 would be plenty of seats without looking too empty. Only down side would be no local host team to help boost attendance. BCC & Florida A&M draw around 70,000 every year in the Florida Classic in Orlando, but that is a lot more than just locals. It is doubtful that attendance would be very predictive of what a championship game would draw outside the participating schools followers.

Bright House Networks Stadium gets my vote.. by the way, Gordon Shumway is possibly the most awesome username ever.

jmufan999
August 25th, 2009, 02:27 PM
haha, don't count on it. 80% of all FCS schools are in the east, would make absolutely no sense to do this. whether or not it's in chattanooga, somewhere in vermont, or florida. who cares. but having it in the west would make absolutely no sense. which is why this will never, ever happen. has nothing to do with montana consistently being in the playoffs. it won't happen because it doesn't make any sense.

jmufan999
August 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM
just realized that 80% might have actually been a conservative estimate. this also explains the "east coast bias" that many of you talk about. it's not a bias... there are just far, far, far, far more teams in the east.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?disp=fcsmap

UMStudent
August 25th, 2009, 02:31 PM
That'd be pretty sweet for us griz/fcs fans. I'd bet there would be a pretty good showing of griz fans unless the griz lost in the semi's (goddamn umass) plus its not that cold its not gonna kill u. -20 is nothing i've camped in way colder temps, saying its too cold is like saying its too hot its very ... ohhh whats the word i'm lookin for ... pussy! but missoula's weather does get shaddy in the winter. we get these inversion that just turn the valley into soup. but missoula's airport got a face lift a few years ago and flyin in has improved. although personaly i feel the game needs to be in vegas now that'd would be awsome.

p.s. comin to u live from chile and i wrote that whole thing on a wii its hard so dont expect a reply

Silenoz
August 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM
"Hey did you know Brandon Fisher is Jeff Fishers boy"-Griz fan 1
"Hey did you know #25 is Jeff Fishers kid"-Griz fan 2
"Hey did you know Fisher is the Tennessee Titans head coaches kid"-Griz fan 3
"Hey did you know that line backer number 25 is Jeff Fisher's son."-Griz fan 4
"I F*&$ING KNOW, DROP IT!!!!!!!!!"-UMStudent

Hey, did you know Houston Stockton is John's son?

Well now you know

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 03:05 PM
which is why this will never, ever happen.
Do you limit never, ever to the future? xwhistlex

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 03:08 PM
p.s. comin to u live from chile and i wrote that whole thing on a wii its hard so dont expect a reply
xlolx xbowx Could be our first ever Chilean wii poster... ever!

srgrizizen
August 25th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I also doubt this will ever happen, but many of the arguments against it are totally specious. If 90% of FCS schools and fans are in the East, that's an argument for having the finals in the East 90% of the time, NOT all of the time. As for airline fares, the same argument holds. Easterners can face high fares 10 % of the time, as opposed to Western teams and fans facing them 100% of the time. The arguments about weather make more sense, but having a game in Missoula once every 20 or 30 years makes sense, as long as the stadium sells out. Anyway, cold in mid-December in Missoula is pretty much a given, but snow is definitely not.

McTailGator
August 25th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Ugh. Being lumped in with soccer, volleyball and tennis? Is that really what we're down to? xoopsx

Who do you think would draw the most fans and coverage?

It would be good to remind the nation that FCS is THE ONLY NCAA Division I National Champion in Football. That BCS thing is just a few fancy non-recognised post season exhibitions.

FCS is THE ONLY true Football Championship in D-I football.

spdram
August 25th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Sorry Montana, but no way!

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 25th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Maybe the SoCon and CAA South teams can donate money to Chatty to help them up their bid. Sorry, but having the game in Missoula is just a terrible idea.

Silenoz
August 25th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Of course none of you guys want it in Missoula, much like no-one over here wants it over there xlolx

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 03:59 PM

It would be good to remind the nation that FCS is THE ONLY NCAA Division I National Champion in Football. That BCS thing is just a few fancy non-recognised post season exhibitions.

I-AA > Soccer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Volleyball and Tennis

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Of course none of you guys want it in Missoula, much like no-one over here wants it over there xlolx
Sort of. If the NC is anywhere but Missoula*, you will have to fly too while there are tons of places east of the Miss where most of us can drive. In addition, you have probably the most expensive airfare of any I-AA locale and it is cold as bawls in MT in January.

* Maybe you'd drive to Pocatello (already been tried for I-AA) or Bozeman.

GannonFan
August 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM

As much of that is true, you'd have as much chance of shouting at the tide to stop coming in than you do trying to convince people that FCS football is better to watch than it's FBS counterpart just because of the lack of a playoff in FBS. I'm sure all of us here love FCS football, but it's also reality that we are a small niche compared to the millions that love and watch BCS football. Not that there's anything wrong with that! xthumbsupx

Gordon Shumway
August 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Bright House Networks Stadium gets my vote.. by the way, Gordon Shumway is possibly the most awesome username ever.

Why thank you, thank you very much... :D

bkrownd
August 25th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I-AA > Soccer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Volleyball and Tennis

The women's volleyball final 4 is the best sporting event I've ever been to. Volleyball is the real "beautiful game"...and the eye candy isn't bad either....

bkrownd
August 25th, 2009, 04:26 PM

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

ericsaid
August 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Sorry to bust your bubble but I guess you forgot the part that Montana is in the middle of no where and the majority of FCS schools are on the eastern side of the country. The majority of fans there would be Montana fans regardless of whose playing and thats not fair to the schools fans and moreso the students who are actually participating.

ASU
August 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I believe that Missoula, Montana in January will be a wonderful idea. They are moving the NC to January starting in January 2011 aren't they?
If we can't get it there, how about Fairbanks, Alaska? We could have Sarah Palin as the MC. We could get a herd of Elk, take our own guns and shoot them from the stands at halftime. The blood would freeze before 2nd half starts, so no big deal for the players. Also dog sled racing at the half....maybe a combination, where the dog sledders picked up the Elk carcasses for extra points. Heck, With beer and mixed drinks served all game long, we could get NRA ads, all types of beer and vodka ads. I could see the FCS National Championship game being broadcast all over the world.....repeatedly.
Well, someone said we needed to get more attention.

Green26
August 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Sorry to bust your bubble but I guess you forgot the part that Montana is in the middle of no where and the majority of FCS schools are on the eastern side of the country. The majority of fans there would be Montana fans regardless of whose playing and thats not fair to the schools fans and moreso the students who are actually participating.

Hey Ericsaid, sorry to burst your bubble, but my first post in the thread (and about the 6th post in the thread) said the following:

"Personally, I think this is a silly idea, which likely won't go very far.... it's a long trip for most I-AA fans, airfare is usually expensive, and Missoula isn't exactly a destination area/resort--especially in the winter--even compared to Chattanooga."

Perhaps you ought to read the thread before making snippy comments.

GOKATS
August 25th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I believe that Missoula, Montana in January will be a wonderful idea. They are moving the NC to January starting in January 2011 aren't they?
If we can't get it there, how about Fairbanks, Alaska? We could have Sarah Palin as the MC. We could get a herd of Elk, take our own guns and shoot them from the stands at halftime. The blood would freeze before 2nd half starts, so no big deal for the players. Also dog sled racing at the half....maybe a combination, where the dog sledders picked up the Elk carcasses for extra points. Heck, With beer and mixed drinks served all game long, we could get NRA ads, all types of beer and vodka ads. I could see the FCS National Championship game being broadcast all over the world.....repeatedly.
Well, someone said we needed to get more attention.

Your post might have some credibility if you had any idea what the hell you were talking about. Alaska is blessed with wildlife, but 'elk' aren't one of them- a few were introduced in the late '20's in limited areas and a different species was introduced to limited areas in the late '80's. There is limited hunting in certain areas, but Alaska is much more known for moose, caribou, bears, sheep, etc.

Montana, btw, has thousands and thousands and thousands of 'elk'.xreadx

There's no way in hell that a NC game will be awarded to um. Short and simple............

Hammerhead
August 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I wonder how many of our younger posters know who Gordon Shumway is? I'll admit to owning season one on DVD.:)

Why thank you, thank you very much... :D

Head Cat
August 25th, 2009, 09:04 PM

The NCAA Division I volleyball Final Four is actually a big seller. Tickets are usually very hard to come by and they rotate it around the country. I doubt that event will change to a one-site format. The folks on the west coast who dominate it would never let that happen, unless it was held every year in Los Angeles.

Tennis experimented with one site (Athens, GA.). They had great crowds, but very unruly crowds and visiting teams used to complain with how they were treated by the locals. Now they move it around.

The soccer Final Fours have also done well, crowd-wise in recent years.

Going to Houston for a championship football game doesn't excite me, though I did make to Lake Charles, La. once for a semifinal.

Head Cat
August 25th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Missoula in January doesn't excite me either, though I did go to a game once there in December. It was cold and snowy and the airline connections were ridiculous.

BDKJMU
August 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I also doubt this will ever happen, but many of the arguments against it are totally specious. If 90% of FCS schools and fans are in the East, that's an argument for having the finals in the East 90% of the time, NOT all of the time. As for airline fares, the same argument holds. Easterners can face high fares 10 % of the time, as opposed to Western teams and fans facing them 100% of the time. The arguments about weather make more sense, but having a game in Missoula once every 20 or 30 years makes sense, as long as the stadium sells out. Anyway, cold in mid-December in Missoula is pretty much a given, but snow is definitely not.

NC game won't be held in mid Dec. Will be in early Jan.

BDKJMU
August 25th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Ask 1000 college football fans, and 999 will tell you otherwise. You might be technically correct, but the BCS title game will always be looked upon as THE NC game in college football by 99% of the college fans out there. You might not like it, but that's reality.

LacesOut
August 25th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I wonder how many of our younger posters know who Gordon Shumway is? I'll admit to owning season one on DVD.:)

Loved that Alien Life Form show!

And regarding the NC game in Montana....BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHA!!

MSUBear42
August 25th, 2009, 10:18 PM
We have to play in the southern heat, humidity and rains; why not play in the northern tier winter? The Green Bay Packers do.

Here's a link to Missoula climate data: http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/montana/missoula/

Personally, I think this is a silly idea, which likely won't go very far. UM's stadium is a great venue for football--especially when it's full of partisan fans--and Missoula is a great town. However, it's a long trip for most I-AA fans, airfare is usually expensive, and Missoula isn't exactly a destination area/resort--especially in the winter--even compared to Chattanooga. I'd rather go to Chattanooga (and I live in Montana).

Climate is something you adapt to. Why hold the championship game in a climate that only 1% of FCS schools are located in?

Did you ever play football? Do you know what playing in the cold does to your play-making?

Bronco
August 25th, 2009, 10:50 PM
On the night of the championship game in Nooga...in Missoula that night it was 10 degrees at kickoff and went down to 6 degrees with calm wind. But a few days before it was below zero.

Proud Griz Man
August 25th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I don't see how the city could afford to bid a lot for this. My guess is most of the people at the game would be from Missoula and the surrounding area. I can't see it being a boon for tourism. xeyebrowx

OK, Missoula won't bid. Hen doesn't think its a good idea. :(xbawlingx

Big Dawg
August 26th, 2009, 12:45 AM
That would suck...

EmeryZach
August 26th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I will repeat this again for anyone who missed it,

ORLANDO!!!

Please move the game to Orlando. It would be awesome.

89Hen
August 26th, 2009, 09:26 AM
The women's volleyball final 4 is the best sporting event I've ever been to. Volleyball is the real "beautiful game"...and the eye candy isn't bad either....
Seriously (x2)??

1. The best? Really???

2. Most of the DI volleyball players I've seen are kinda beefy. xeyebrowx

89Hen
August 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
ORLANDO!!!

Please move the game to Orlando. It would be awesome.
Why? It will be at a time when 99% of families are coming off vacation and back in school, so forget the family vacation thing. That means 90% of the people at the game will be in and out in a day, basically rendering all the other things to do in Orlando useless. It's no longer drivable for anyone north of probably Elon/AppSt. There's no 30,000 seat stadium in which to have it. Other than that, the weather should be better and flights are more accessable. xpeacex

89Hen
August 26th, 2009, 09:37 AM
The NCAA Division I volleyball Final Four is actually a big seller. Tickets are usually very hard to come by and they rotate it around the country. I doubt that event will change to a one-site format. The folks on the west coast who dominate it would never let that happen, unless it was held every year in Los Angeles.
Had to look this up since I honestly don't know much about DI women's volleyball. The finals last year were in Omaha, NE and drew 14k for the finals. Not bad, but seems in line with the ">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>" I gave it. Was it even televised? And FWIW...

2009 - Tampa
2010 - Kansas City
2011 - San Antonio
2012 - Louisville

89Hen
August 26th, 2009, 09:39 AM
OK, Missoula won't bid. Hen doesn't think its a good idea. :(xbawlingx
Why you.... :p do you agree with my statement that 90% of the crowd would be local? In Chatty it's 10-20% local so it is big for the city.

Silenoz
August 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Why you.... :p do you agree with my statement that 90% of the crowd would be local? In Chatty it's 10-20% local so it is big for the city.

We'll just consider it due justice for the 1995 and 1996 games xlolx

89Hen
August 26th, 2009, 09:45 AM
We'll just consider it due justice for the 1995 and 1996 games xlolx
Hey, a lot of us suffered through the Marshall Invitational. xoopsx

putter
August 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Climate is something you adapt to. Why hold the championship game in a climate that only 1% of FCS schools are located in?

Did you ever play football? Do you know what playing in the cold does to your play-making?

Probably the same thing that playing in 90 degrees with high humidity does to our players and playmaking. :(

McTailGator
August 26th, 2009, 10:21 AM
As much of that is true, you'd have as much chance of shouting at the tide to stop coming in than you do trying to convince people that FCS football is better to watch than it's FBS counterpart just because of the lack of a playoff in FBS. I'm sure all of us here love FCS football, but it's also reality that we are a small niche compared to the millions that love and watch BCS football. Not that there's anything wrong with that! xthumbsupx

Has nothing to do with trying to convince anyone.

It is THE ONLY NCAA Football Championship in D-I. FACT

McTailGator
August 26th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Seriously (x2)??

1. The best? Really???

2. Most of the DI volleyball players I've seen are kinda beefy. xeyebrowx

They would sell MANY MORE tickets if they were Bikini Clad. xsmiley_wix

McTailGator
August 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Tennis experimented with one site (Athens, GA.). They had great crowds, but very unruly crowds and visiting teams used to complain with how they were treated by the locals. Now they move it around.

The soccer Final Fours have also done well, crowd-wise in recent years.

Going to Houston for a championship football game doesn't excite me, though I did make to Lake Charles, La. once for a semifinal.

Houston is a fun city, and the downtown area has some great venues and plenty of stuff to do.

Two airlines call us home, so air transport could be levereage with a possible sponsorship to keep prices low for all the last minute bookings. Not to mention the fact that the airlines could provide some charters.

With all the renovations to Cowboy Stadium and with all the new Hotels there, Lake Charles would be OK, AND the game would be a sell out every year....

But Houston offers walking distance fun and all the venues near all the hotels. Would be hard to beat.

GannonFan
August 26th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Has nothing to do with trying to convince anyone.

It is THE ONLY NCAA Football Championship in D-I. FACT

Wasn't disputing that - just commenting that for many people out there, that fact is relatively unimportant. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
August 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hey, a lot of us suffered through the Marshall Invitational. xoopsx

Indeed - not one of the best eras for I-AA/FCS football. For that reason alone I'd be against Missoula hosting the thing. xthumbsupx

structgrizz
August 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
As a diehard Montana Griz fan I agree that the "Marshall Invitational" should not be repeated. A neutral site is what both teams in a national championship game deserve and should have. I was at the "95 game. While it was great to shut them up at the end it was also a HUGE disadvantage.

I say put it in Las Vegas. The east coaster's can't bitch because the air fares are cheap, the anti cold weather fans can't complain about having to wear a jacket and the folks in the west don't have to travel to Chatty or somewhere else every year.

IMHO anyway

89Hen
August 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I say put it in Las Vegas. The east coaster's can't bitch because the air fares are cheap, the anti cold weather fans can't complain about having to wear a jacket and the folks in the west don't have to travel to Chatty or somewhere else every year.
3 posts into your AGS career and this is what we get? :p Vegas has been debated on here for 5+ years and nobody has ever convinced me of one pro for it.

EmeryZach
August 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Why? It will be at a time when 99% of families are coming off vacation and back in school, so forget the family vacation thing. That means 90% of the people at the game will be in and out in a day, basically rendering all the other things to do in Orlando useless. It's no longer drivable for anyone north of probably Elon/AppSt. There's no 30,000 seat stadium in which to have it. Other than that, the weather should be better and flights are more accessable. xpeacex

The Citrus Bowl holds 70,000. And I just drove there from New Jersey this spring for vacation. You can do it in 19 hours. Not bad.

tribe_pride
August 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM
As a diehard Montana Griz fan I agree that the "Marshall Invitational" should not be repeated. A neutral site is what both teams in a national championship game deserve and should have. I was at the "95 game. While it was great to shut them up at the end it was also a HUGE disadvantage.

IMHO anyway

Wait a sec... don't they allow sports betting in Nevada?

EmeryZach
August 26th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Yes sir.

OL FU
August 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM

I remember two northwest champ games between GSU and FU that drew nobody:(

Gordon Shumway
August 26th, 2009, 05:15 PM

You are correct, but there is a brand spanking new 45,000 seat stadium at UCF. I would never advocate using th Citrus Bowl.

89Hen
August 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
You are correct, but there is a brand spanking new 45,000 seat stadium at UCF.
Still too big IMO. If the game can sell out 30k with a team that isn't AppSt, then we can think about 45k.

ericsaid
August 26th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Hey Ericsaid, sorry to burst your bubble, but my first post in the thread (and about the 6th post in the thread) said the following:

"Personally, I think this is a silly idea, which likely won't go very far.... it's a long trip for most I-AA fans, airfare is usually expensive, and Missoula isn't exactly a destination area/resort--especially in the winter--even compared to Chattanooga."

Perhaps you ought to read the thread before making snippy comments.

I don't have that kind of time.

elcid83
August 26th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Stupid thought of the day - What's wrong with having the championship game played at the home stadium of the highest seeded team? Or, is that overly simplified?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Stupid thought of the day - What's wrong with having the championship game played at the home stadium of the highest seeded team? Or, is that overly simplified?

Not all stadiums (and for that matter, staffs) are up to par for hosting an NCAA championship event. There's facilities like Appalachian State and Montana. Then there's facilities that are far from it!

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM
An article from the Chatty newspaper...

Finley Stadium has been the home of the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision national championship game since 1997. To keep it in Chattanooga, the city will have to fight for it.

The Greater Chattanooga Sports & Events Committee usually has had an exclusive bidding window for hosting future games -- only once since the game was awarded to Chattanooga has the Sports Committee had to bid against other cities -- but the NCAA has decided to open the bidding for future games, starting in 2010.

Chattanooga's current two-year contract ends after this year's Dec. 18 title game, and cities that wish to bid on the 2010 game have to submit their offer to the NCAA by Oct. 13, Sports Committee president Scott Smith said Wednesday. The finalists will make their case to the NCAA in February and the host will be announced in March.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/aug/27/montana-to-bid-for-fcs-title-game-chattanooga/

AmsterBison
August 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM
You beat me to it, ASU. I thought the game was getting moved to January. If so, that'd rule out an all-DI sports tourney.

I'd have no objection to Missoula - I think they'd come up with some ideas to make it very fun for visiting fans.

Grizo406
August 27th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I'd love to see UM get the bid, and actually host a National Championship game. If they got it, I firmly believe it would be Sold Out...no matter who was playing! It ain't that cold out here in January!

I'd also like to see a NC game at Boone, Delaware, or GSU...or ANY game at those places for that matter!

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
The best place for the game is a major or "mid-major" city.

Missoula, while accessible is not completely accessible for those fans who make the yearly pilgrimage nor is a place like Boone, N.C...

Cities that come to mind outside of the current host are Houston (new TSU/Dynamo stadium), San Antonio, Orlando and New Orleans!

jmufan999
August 28th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Not all stadiums (and for that matter, staffs) are up to par for hosting an NCAA championship event. There's facilities like Appalachian State and Montana. Then there's facilities that are far from it!

good point.... ok, how about this.... (because one thing i don't like is that in the current format, the #1 and #2 seeds have an equal advantage... i.e.- last year, if ASU had beaten Richmond, they would have had 1 more home game and then a neutral site for the NC. that gives them the exact same advantage that JMU would have had, but with a lower seed. just my opinion)....

ok, so what if you get the #1 seed... you have to submit WITH your bid a stadium where you would CHOOSE to have the game played. the NCAA would either reject this stadium or allow it. we would know before the playoffs where the NC game will be played. if the #1 seed loses in the first round, the game is STILL played at that same site (it'd be too late to change it).

if the #1 seed's home stadium will work, then great! if not, they suggest a stadium of their choice PENDING approval by the NCAA. the NCAA can use whatever guidelines they feel like (lord knows they're going to do this anyway). of course, the stadium would have to be available at that time.

it's complicated, i know. will never happen, i realize this. probably easier to just keep it where it is. :) just throwing out ideas here, fellas.

ItsyBitsySpider
August 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Not a snowball's chance in hell (pun intended)

parr90
August 28th, 2009, 02:57 PM

You guys play in the heat too. Just not the same heat the south does. A snow covered field is much different than playing in heat or rain. Most guys have played in heat and rain and probably most of the green bay packers are from places were it was hot and rained as well. A snow covered field would be much more an advantage for you guys than heat and gnats are at GSU.

Green26
August 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
A snow-covered field may be more of an advantage for Montana--even tho UM almost never plays on a snow-covered field--but weather conditions are part of the game. That doesn't mean that a championship game site out to be selected for a northern climate.

structgrizz
August 28th, 2009, 05:25 PM
3 posts into your AGS career and this is what we get? :p Vegas has been debated on here for 5+ years and nobody has ever convinced me of one pro for it.

I've been readin this for five years. I just haven't posted much due to the negative attitude of some posters.

That said I think the travel connections and ease for everyone in the country to get to Las Vegas on a budget is reason enough. Oh and the weather is pretty nice in January.

Sorry my lack of posting makes me less intelligent then those that post on this board for a living. I'll go back to reading the discussions and letting the professional do the posting xthumbsupx

Silenoz
August 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM
You guys play in the heat too. Just not the same heat the south does. A snow covered field is much different than playing in heat or rain. Most guys have played in heat and rain and probably most of the green bay packers are from places were it was hot and rained as well. A snow covered field would be much more an advantage for you guys than heat and gnats are at GSU.

I can't even recall the last time there was snow on the field during a game

Blue42
August 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I'm sure ESPN would love to broadcast an FCS championship game played in 10 degree weather in January with 50% of the stands filled and a 6-0 final score.

Surprised they're not crossing the T's on those contracts already.

GOKATS
August 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I'm sure ESPN would love to broadcast an FCS championship game played in 10 degree weather in January with 50% of the stands filled and a 6-0 final score.

Surprised they're not crossing the T's on those contracts already.

I can't believe this thread has gone on this long- it flat ass won't happen.

dUMb went to the city/businesses/etc. saying "we would like to submit a bid to the NCAA to host the FCS NC, but we can't use any of our money, so we're asking you to cough up around $300,000 minimum (plus $100,000 for lighting, etc.)".

Folks are talking about it being cold and snowy being a factor- that time of year in Montana it's a no brainer (and Missoula being at a lower elevation doesn't have the cold/snow most of the state has). The biggest factor weatherwise is that Missoula socks in with fog and 'inversions' so that planes can't land on a regular basis and the only way you can get there is connecting in Salt Lake/Denver, etc. Add those three airports together in January and you're going to have a problem, but usually Missoula- fans are going to have to bus from Helena, Great Falls, Spokane, etc.

Bottom line is, I doubt that many fans would follow their team to a NC in Missoula (as has been said repeatedly in this thread), so the whole point of asking the community to fund the bid doesn't pencil out. I have no doubt wa/griz would sell out, but it's going to be mostly comprised of griz fans (regardless of who's playing). dUMb might make a few bucks, but I think the NCAA takes most of the gate. The business owners who coughed up the initial bucks aren't going to see much return, if any.

JMO

GrizFanStuckInUtah
August 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I've been readin this for five years. I just haven't posted much due to the negative attitude of some posters.

That said I think the travel connections and ease for everyone in the country to get to Las Vegas on a budget is reason enough. Oh and the weather is pretty nice in January.

Sorry my lack of posting makes me less intelligent then those that post on this board for a living. I'll go back to reading the discussions and letting the professional do the posting xthumbsupx

They can't do it in Vegas because of the betting. If they would allow it, it would be a great place to host it. xreadx

I think the UM stadium would be pretty full, it just wouldn't be the fans of the teams playing unless the Griz made it of course. xpeacex

Bearkats94
August 29th, 2009, 12:09 AM
How about the cowboys new stadium.xlolx The punters can see if they can hit the big screen. xlolx

89Hen
August 29th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Your lack of posting doesn't make you less intelligent, but your post shows lack of knowledge. The NCAA will not have a championship game in Las Vegas period. Beyond that, "ease" and "budget" are not even close to what they are when people can drive. Even with the cost of gas, it is 10x cheaper to drive to a game in the eastern half of the US.

Drive to airport, pay for parking, pay for airfare, pay for rental car... you would lose at least 50% of your attendance.

ngineer
August 29th, 2009, 10:38 PM
A real championship game played in real football weather. Outside of the travel distance for the fans, what's not to like?

Just a "minor" consideration...let alone a frigid tundra. I'll have what they're smoking if this even gets any kind of consideration.

MsippiRattler
August 29th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I think William "Dick" Price Stadium at Norfolk State Univ is a good choice. It seats 30K. It's in a vibrant, large, metro area (Norfolk, Hampton, Virginia Beach) with plenty of restaurants, hotels, and night life. The airport is accessible with flights from most major airports. Downside is that the weather in January can be brutal if there is wind and cold coming off the Bay and ocean, nowhere as bad as the northern Atlantic coast, or Missoula. This is something the Hampton Roads Chambers of Commerce might want to look in to.

techstate
August 29th, 2009, 10:55 PM
08-25-2009 01:33 AM

University of Montana plans to make bid to host FCS title game

University of Montana officials told Missoula’s businesses community Monday they want to bid for the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision national title game in 2010.

University administrators and athletic officials presented the idea in a late-afternoon meeting with representatives of the Missoula Area Chamber of Commerce, Missoula Convention and Visitors Bureau, Mayor John Engen and others gathered at the Canyon Club, atop Washington-Grizzly Stadium.

UM’s stadium can compete well with other FCS venues, they said.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/08/25/university-of-montana-plans-to-make-bid?blog=2#more5470)

I think its a better idea to hold them at UTSA!!!xlolx

Tailbone
August 30th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Consider.

Montana has been to the NC game 4 times in 9 years.
There is a fair possibility that they can return to the NC game in 2010.

If the Griz are in the NC game, fans will fill the stadium regardless of weather.
If the Griz are not in the NC game, there will likely still be as many fans as have attended in Chatty.

Everyone seems to assume that the NCAA cares about a specific group of fans (those of the participating teams).....they don't.

The NCAA cares about $$$$$.

Imagine a full stadium of 25k plus (looks great on TV).
Imagine the atmosphere in Wa/Griz if Montana is an NC participant in 2010.
Big time atmosphere, 25 thousand fans, 25 Thousand LOUD fans, 25 thousand PAYING fans.

.....and $$$$$$$, lots of $$$$$$$!

As for those fans who can't get to Missoula due to travel issues (cost, weather, airline service, etc.)..........there's always TV.

The possibility of a Championship game on the frozen tundra isn't all that unrealistic.

uofmman1122
August 30th, 2009, 01:08 PM
The possibility of a Championship game on the frozen tundra isn't all that unrealistic.I still wouldn't say it's very realistic, though. Certainly don't get your hopes up.

Hammerhead
August 30th, 2009, 02:29 PM
The only way the championship game will be up north is if it is in an indoor stadium. That would mean a trip to an FCS city with iffy airline connections or half-empty dome used by an NFL team or Syracuse.