PDA

View Full Version : SoCon - Week 1

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 23rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
It's about that time, guys...

Davidson @ Elon - Elon starts strong with a 38-3 win over those non-football-playing SoCon punks

Appalachian State @ East Carolina
depends on AE's status...
-If AE is 100% and plays - ASU wins 31-24
-If AE can't run and plays anyway - ECU wins 38-10
-If DeAndre Presley plays ECU wins 34-20

Western Carolina @ Vanderbilt - Catamounts lose but do well enough to establish some early season confidence. Vandy wins 41-21

Glenville State @ UT Chattanooga - 'Nooga starts off the season with a narrow win over a decent DII. Chatty wins 28-24

Wofford @ South Florida - Wofford plays a good game but comes up short 28-20

Presbyterian @ Furman - the improved PC team won't be a match for Furman. FU wins 27-6

The Citadel @ North Carolina - As with WCU, El Cid does well enough to get a confidence boost from this game. UNC wins 34-21.

Albany @ Georgia Southern - GSU (hopefully) comes out very hungry for redemption and won't take Albany lightly. GSU wins 35-20

Samford @ Central Florida - Samford edges an improved UCF team that most likely won't sniff the CUSA championship. Samford with the upset 23-20 xeekx

A special good luck to the 5 teams playing FBS teams. Get out there and let's earn some respect for the SoCon and the FCS!

phoenixphanatic21
August 23rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
Ahhh it's about time. Nothing makes me happy quite like football season.

Davidson @ Elon - Not even gonna be close. I'm gonna love beating them down into the ground. 42-10 Elon.

ASU @ ECU - Don't think it matters how healthy AE will be, ECU will win. If AE is healthy, ECU will win by 3 or less points. If he isn't, ECU wins by 13+.

WCU @ Vandy - Vandy will win, but Western will make some plays at the end of the game to help try to build some momentum. Vandy 38-13.

Glenville State @ UTC - UTC will win 24-14 and start the season off right...with their only win of the year.

Wofford @ South Florida - Wofford gives USF a run for the money, but Matt Grothe and George Selvie will be too much and will put the Terriers away in the 4th. 28-17 USF.

Presby @ Furman - FU wins, 27-10. All will be right in Greenville, at least for the day.

Citadel @ UNC - Andre Roberts will have a big day for the Bulldogs. Unfortunately, that'll be the lone bright spot. UNC wins 31-7.

Albany @ Georgia Southern - Hatch Attack gets off the ground early and GSU will build an early lead that it won't let go. GSU 34-17.

Samford @ UCF - I agree with FCS. Samford's got all the right tools to pull an upset over a lower-tier C-USA oppenent. Great defense, great RB and as the old saying goes, if you can stop the run and run the ball against your oppenent, you will most likely win. Samford pulls the upset 20-14.

appmaj
August 23rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
ASU 38 ECU 24
Davidson 17 Elon - 27
WCU 7 Vandy 49
Glenville State 14 UTC 31
Wofford 21 South Florida 38
Presby 7 Furman 21
Citadel 6 UNC 42
Albany 19 Georgia Southern 24
Samford 21 UCF 20

Dinman31
August 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
If Furman can't put four touchdowns up on a poor PC team, this may be a very disappointing year.

Furman 45 PC 7

SU DOG
August 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
I really love all the optimism about our chances with UCF, but if you guys could see our current injury list, you might understand my lack of confidence. We are currently a team of the walking wounded. Before this string of bad luck, I had predicted that our game with the Knights would be very competitive. Tell you what, if we can win this game with this many starters out - WATCH OUT SoCon!!

Reign of Terrier
August 23rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
ASU < ECU
Davidson < Elon
WCU < Vandy
Glenville State < UTC
Wofford< South Florida
Presby < Furman
Citadel < UNC
Albany < Georgia Southern
Samford < UCF

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
I really love all the optimism about our chances with UCF, but if you guys could see our current injury list, you might understand my lack of confidence. We are currently a team of the walking wounded. Before this string of bad luck, I had predicted that our game with the Knights would be very competitive. Tell you what, if we can win this game with this many starters out - WATCH OUT SoCon!!

Who all is injured?

appfan2008
August 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
ASU ECU
Davidson Elon
WCU Vandy
Glenville State UTC
Wofford USF
Presby Furman
Citadel UNC
Albany GSU
Samford UCF

all the home teams for me... utc better show up and win... i think app has the best shot at a fbs win...

AppStsGr8
August 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
As much as I'd like to see an App win at ECU, I believe the depth of ECU will win out over a very solid App team in the Greenville heat.

Samford, if healthy by season's end, will turn some heads, but not at UCF.

Have to agree with others' assessments on the other games.

SU DOG
August 23rd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Who all is injured?

STARTERS - 3 Offensive Linemen, TE, Free Safety, Strong Safety

Backups - RB(Sr. career ending), 2 LBs, WR, TE, DT

There may be others, but these are the ones that come to mind, perhaps because I noticed none of them practiced yesterday. xbawlingx

PaladinFan
August 23rd, 2009, 03:48 PM
If Furman can't put four touchdowns up on a poor PC team, this may be a very disappointing year.

Furman 45 PC 7

Agreed. Furman's offense has the potential to be App-like this year with weapons all over the field. I'd be suprised to see PC hold Furman under 30.

I also think PC will score more than seven. Furman graduated a lot on defense and, though they return some heavy hitters in the backfield and the best pass rusher in the league, they still have spent all summer without either starting DE practicing and two new linebackers.

I see Furman winning 34-17

PhoenixPhan06
August 24th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Can't wait to show the Cats what SoCon football is all about!

Elon 45 Davidson 13

Texcat34
August 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I do not have delusions of grandeur or expectations of a victory. However, I would like to point out that my Davidson Wildcats own a 16-1 all-time series record versus the Fighting Christians. True Story. (We haven't played since Elon beat us in 1954 but WE ABSOLUTELY OWNED YOU DURING THE GREAT DEPRESSION!!!!! haha).

Scroll down to page 62.

http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/documents/2008/9/2/58-65-Opponents.pdf?id=397

ElonPride
August 25th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I do not have delusions of grandeur or expectations of a victory. However, I would like to point out that my Davidson Wildcats own a 16-1 all-time series record versus the Fighting Christians. True Story. (We haven't played since Elon beat us in 1954 but WE ABSOLUTELY OWNED YOU DURING THE GREAT DEPRESSION!!!!! haha).

Scroll down to page 62.

And Elon is 9-9 versus ECU and 1-2 against Miami (FL).....xrolleyesx

Seven Would Be Nice
August 25th, 2009, 08:57 AM
ASU ECU
Davidson Elon
WCU Vandy
Glenville State UTC
Wofford USF
Presby Furman
Citadel UNC
Albany GSU
Samford UCF

all the home teams for me... utc better show up and win... i think app has the best shot at a fbs win...

I'll take the same... if AE is 100% they will have the best chance to win on the road out of all of those teams.

OL FU
August 25th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Furman 45 PC 7

I am not sure it is a poor PC team, but I agree FU better score more than 28 points or it will be time to dig foxholes and wait the season out. PC may score more than 10.

Also, pretty much agree with everyone's picks. As much as I would like to see some upsets of FBS teams, I am not going to pick one.

The only game that doesn't have a clear favorite (either in inter divisonal play or playing a team that recently moved up and yes I know Davidson is in our divison butxlolx) is probably the GSU/Albany game. But I think GSU shows Albany how far they still have to goxnodx

ButlerGSU
August 25th, 2009, 10:02 AM
If yall wouldn't mind helping GSU out and picking UA...that'd be great.

I don't like it when AGS posters pick us too much though.

elon77
August 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Can't wait to show the Cats what SoCon football is all about!

Elon 45 Davidson 13

Davidson will not score 13 points, unless Bobby Boucher suits up.xnodx

danefan
August 25th, 2009, 10:27 AM
If yall wouldn't mind helping GSU out and picking UA...that'd be great.

I don't like it when AGS posters pick us too much though.

xlolxxlolx
That's why I'm loving these picks! Pick GSU - they are a clearcut favorite. Isn't Albany a DII team anyway? xreadx

OL FU
August 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM
xlolxxlolx
That's why I'm loving these picks! Pick GSU - they are a clearcut favorite. Isn't Albany a DII team anyway? xreadx

We all read the clippings from the Delaware game last year:pxsmiley_wix

OL FU
August 25th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Scroll down to page 62.

xlolxxlolxxthumbsupx

Just don't start talking about basketball:p

danefan
August 25th, 2009, 11:25 AM
We all read the clippings from the Delaware game last year:pxsmiley_wix

I hope that's the only film the GSU coaches saw too. xnodxxlolx

OL FU
August 25th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I hope that's the only film the GSU coaches saw too. xnodxxlolx

Good luck, win that one and everyone will look at you differentlyxthumbsupx Just remember CCSUxsmiley_wix:p

PaladinFan
August 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I've said it a number of times. I think GSU wins against Albany.

My eyese were opened last year when a pretty mediocre Paladin team went up to Hamilton and beat up a Colgate team that would win their conference and make a playoff appearance. The reality was, Colgate was good, but Furman was just bigger, stronger, and faster on both sides of the ball.

I think GSU will be the same way. Sure, the Danes are "good enough" to win the game. But if GSU comes out and controls the line, plays phsycial defense, and hits them in the mouth, then I don't think it will really be that close.

This isn't meant as a slight to the Danes either. I've always been impressed with the product your team puts on the field. A well coached team like Albany can beat GSU if they play error free and the Eagles start piling up mental penalties. However, if GSU doesn't shoot themselves in the foot and their defense is flying around the field, I see them winning by three touchdowns.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM

My eyese were opened last year when a pretty mediocre Paladin team went up to Hamilton and beat up a Colgate team that would win their conference and make a playoff appearance. The reality was, Colgate was good, but Furman was just bigger, stronger, and faster on both sides of the ball.

I think GSU will be the same way. Sure, the Danes are "good enough" to win the game. But if GSU comes out and controls the line, plays phsycial defense, and hits them in the mouth, then I don't think it will really be that close.

This isn't meant as a slight to the Danes either. I've always been impressed with the product your team puts on the field. A well coached team like Albany can beat GSU if they play error free and the Eagles start piling up mental penalties. However, if GSU doesn't shoot themselves in the foot and their defense is flying around the field, I see them winning by three touchdowns.

I don't think GSU will overlook UA. From what I hear GSU's players are counting down the hours until kickoff. I think and hope we will see a team that is more mentally prepared than any team we've seen in the post-triple option era. I don't think we're going to play at or right below the level of whatever team we are facing this year.

blueballs
August 25th, 2009, 05:05 PM

GSU is LOADED, but young... not as young as last year but still pretty darned young.

From an athlete standpoint this is the biggest, fastest team GSU has ever fielded; but inexperience often leads to mistakes (which is what doomed GSU in their four razor thin losses in 2008) and mistakes get you beat. If they continue to make those mistakes they'll continue to be mediocre, if not they'll be awfully good because the talent is in the program- now it is a matter of execution.

Regardless of what happens in 2009 (the anticipated two deep only has four seniors) GSU will be scary good in 2010 and especially in 2011... if you're going to get them it had better be this year.

ericsaid
August 25th, 2009, 05:10 PM
App-10 ECU-31
Elon-38 Davidson-7
WCU-7 Vandy-42
UTC-31 Glenville St-21
Wofford-17 USF-35
Furman-38 Presby-17
Citadel-10 UNC-45
GSU-45 Albany-20
Sammy-24 UCF-27

ericsaid
August 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I don't think GSU will overlook UA. From what I hear GSU's players are counting down the hours until kickoff. I think and hope we will see a team that is more mentally prepared than any team we've seen in the post-triple option era. I don't think we're going to play at or right below the level of whatever team we are facing this year.

App beat the PFL champions last year 56-7 with backups. GSU should handle Albany with ease, I see GSU possibly ending up no. 2 in the Socon this year if they can end up on the other end of those one point losses from last season.

ericsaid
August 25th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I'm an App fan and have been for a while now but ECU is loaded this year with most of the starters back who dominated Pat White(A poor mans Armanti Edwards in my opinion, not the other way around, and Noel Devine), and i'm sure an offensive line that is bigger and overall better than ASU's. They also lucked up and beat Va Tech last year but they won none the less.

I don't see ASU making it a game unless App's oline can take some significant strides in their speed and just overall ability. The match-up in the trenches will not bode well for whatever quarterback is playing regardless if it is Armanti. No quarterback no matter how good can throw while their on their back.

I think Samford has the best chance to pull an upset over UCF. They have a good defense as witnessed last year and one of the best runningbacks in the conference. They also have one of the biggest if not the biggest olines in the SoCon.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 25th, 2009, 07:50 PM
App beat the PFL champions last year 56-7 with backups. GSU should handle Albany with ease, I see GSU possibly ending up no. 2 in the Socon this year if they can end up on the other end of those one point losses from last season.

Albany is not a PFL team, and is a good bit better than Jacksonville is, as the game last year proved.

Also, I think you are underestimating your chances against ECU. I really do. For the past few years I've heard the same thing from you guys in the preseason - our OL is crap, blah blah blah, Armanti is going to have a heart attack from running all over the backfield, blah blah blah. I'm not buying that again. xwhistlex I just hope AE is going to be 100% for running and passing.

SoCon48
August 26th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Ahhh it's about time. Nothing makes me happy quite like football season.

Davidson @ Elon - Not even gonna be close. I'm gonna love beating them down into the ground. 42-10 Elon.

ASU @ ECU - Don't think it matters how healthy AE will be, ECU will win. If AE is healthy, ECU will win by 3 or less points. If he isn't, ECU wins by 13+.

WCU @ Vandy - Vandy will win, but Western will make some plays at the end of the game to help try to build some momentum. Vandy 38-13.

Glenville State @ UTC - UTC will win 24-14 and start the season off right...with their only win of the year.

Wofford @ South Florida - Wofford gives USF a run for the money, but Matt Grothe and George Selvie will be too much and will put the Terriers away in the 4th. 28-17 USF.

Presby @ Furman - FU wins, 27-10. All will be right in Greenville, at least for the day.

Citadel @ UNC - Andre Roberts will have a big day for the Bulldogs. Unfortunately, that'll be the lone bright spot. UNC wins 31-7.

Albany @ Georgia Southern - Hatch Attack gets off the ground early and GSU will build an early lead that it won't let go. GSU 34-17.

Samford @ UCF - I agree with FCS. Samford's got all the right tools to pull an upset over a lower-tier C-USA oppenent. Great defense, great RB and as the old saying goes, if you can stop the run and run the ball against your oppenent, you will most likely win. Samford pulls the upset 20-14.

I'm puzzled at why Elon takes so much glee in whipping up on a non scholarship team????????

OL FU
August 26th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I'm puzzled at why Elon takes so much glee in whipping up on a non scholarship team????????

When a school deserves said whipping, glee is justifiedxlolx

gophoenix
August 26th, 2009, 06:47 AM

To me, at least, it is because they won't man up and play in the SoCon.

And I think it is because in 2000 they were 10-0 and their fans were all over the I-AA and SoCon message boards of the time talking about how they were the best football team in NC, how they could beat App, how they could beat A&T, ECU, G-W, Elon or any number of other good teams that actually play each other....

OL FU
August 26th, 2009, 06:57 AM
To me, at least, it is because they won't man up and play in the SoCon.

And I think it is because in 2000 they were 10-0 and their fans were all over the I-AA and SoCon message boards of the time talking about how they were the best football team in NC, how they could beat App, how they could beat A&T, ECU, G-W, Elon or any number of other good teams that actually play each other....

That really happenedxeekxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

Texcat34
August 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM

No, it did not, I have already addressed this on a different thread. gophoenix apparently makes up rumors from 10 years ago to get Elon motivated to play a non-scholarship school. There is nothing quite like making up your own bulletin board material just to get angry to play Davidson. Maybe you should save some of that venom for the Demon Deacons the following week, the Fighting Christians might need to conserve their energy against my lowly Wildcats. Just remember tough guy, that only a few decades ago Elon COLLEGE was NAIA and despite their NAIA national titles, would be laughed at on this message board.

Yes, Davidson went undefeated in 2000 (against some admittedly shaky competition) but please tell me one person from Davidson that ever claimed that we could "beat App, Elon, and ECU." during that era? Preposterous. If you let me know who they are I'd love to punch them in the mouth and knock them back to reality. Yeah, we did have a chip on our shoulder for having the longest winning streak (18) in college football and the three best seasons in Davidson history in 1998, 1999, and 2000. WHO WOULDN'T? We had NEVER had any national recognition for football until then. Now we are considered arrogant? But I believe you are fabricating these claims that so-called "Davidson fans" felt they were ready to beat fully funded FCS teams or ECU. Give me a break. We had enough trouble beating Georgetown and Morehead State that season (that was not meant as a slight to the Hoyas or Eagles). And by the way, you can blame the "highly respected" xsmhx CHARLOTTE OBSERVER for placing Davidson as the "best football team in NC" (with tongue in cheek) in their top 16 poll during the final few weeks of 2000. Their final poll said #1. Davidson..it's ALWAYS been a football school. They were obviously kidding.

We finished around 29th or 30th or something to that effect in the "Also receiving votes" portion of the poll in 2000. That being said, let's say in an alternate universe we had finished higher and been rewarded with a 1st round game in sunny Missoula or Boone...we would have gotten annihilated and we knew that both sides of our line would have been blown off the ball. Thus, we settled instead for beating Georgetown 41-17 to finish off our 10-0 season, the students rushed the field, tore down both goal posts and for ONE night Davidson partied like an actual football school..then we turned back to focusing on basketball.

I fully expect Elon to beat the ***** out of us, but all of this "LET'S MURDER DAVIDSON, LET'S PUNISH DAVIDSON, LET'S PUT THEM IN THEIR PLACE" talk from the rest of you SoCon fans seems a bit unwarranted. Considering the non-stop criticism of Davidson "selling out" the SoCon and playing in the "unworthy of FCS" Pioneer League....give us some credit for stepping up to play a nationally ranked, full scholarship team on the road for our opening game...after we lost a 4 year starter at QB and are fielding a very young team.

The anti-sports factions of the administration decided to drop scholarships almost 20 years ago and it has taken us nearly 2 decades to finally achieve a level of stability with our football program. We are taking baby steps, we are headed up to Princeton in 2014 and renew a four year series with Georgetown next year. I head a rumor that we may try to play at the Citadel soon as well, we shall see. Believe me, an ENORMOUS number of alumni and former players hate that we don't play in the SoCon and would love to return someday. I doubt it will happen unless a sugar daddy like Jerry Richardson comes along or if Title IX is ever condemned as a "weapon of mass destruction" by the United Nations...perhaps we can hold Steph Curry hostage and steal his signing bonus? We shall see.

My former teammates and I are looking forward to watching Davidson's first game against a SoCon team in over 20 years. We aren't expecting much on the field but I would anticipate us to play hard and put up a respectable fight.

We haven't played since 1954, but I would like to point out that Davidson is 16-1 all time versus the Fighting Christians from Burlington. We completely dominated Elon during the Great Depression, perhaps that is where all this hatred stems from? Or wait, does this have to do with basketball jealousy and that national recognition that came along with our NCAA tournament run? xcoffeex

FYI, The Wildcats are also 14-6 all time versus South Carolina...but who isn't? We are 2-0 all-time against Auburn and 15-11-4 against Wake Forest. We were absolute hell during the 1930'sxnonox

See you in Burlington next week, thanks for all of the support "fellow" SoCon members.

OL FU
August 26th, 2009, 10:34 AM
No, it did not, I have already addressed this on a different thread. gophoenix apparently makes up rumors from 10 years ago to get Elon motivated to play a non-scholarship school. There is nothing quite like making up your own bulletin board material just to get angry to play Davidson. Maybe you should save some of that venom for the Demon Deacons the following week, the Fighting Christians might need to conserve their energy against my lowly Wildcats. Just remember tough guy, that only a few decades ago Elon COLLEGE was NAIA and despite their NAIA national titles, would be laughed at on this message board.

Yes, Davidson went undefeated in 2000 (against some admittedly shaky competition) but please tell me one person from Davidson that ever claimed that we could "beat App, Elon, and ECU." during that era? Preposterous. If you let me know who they are I'd love to punch them in the mouth and knock them back to reality. Yeah, we did have a chip on our shoulder for having the longest winning streak (18) in college football and the three best seasons in Davidson history in 1998, 1999, and 2000. WHO WOULDN'T? We had NEVER had any national recognition for football until then. Now we are considered arrogant? But I believe you are fabricating these claims that so-called "Davidson fans" felt they were ready to beat fully funded FCS teams or ECU. Give me a break. We had enough trouble beating Georgetown and Morehead State that season (that was not meant as a slight to the Hoyas or Eagles). And by the way, you can blame the "highly respected" xsmhx CHARLOTTE OBSERVER for placing Davidson as the "best football team in NC" (with tongue in cheek) in their top 16 poll during the final few weeks of 2000. Their final poll said #1. Davidson..it's ALWAYS been a football school. They were obviously kidding.

We finished around 29th or 30th or something to that effect in the "Also receiving votes" portion of the poll in 2000. That being said, let's say in an alternate universe we had finished higher and been rewarded with a 1st round game in sunny Missoula or Boone...we would have gotten annihilated and we knew that both sides of our line would have been blown off the ball. Thus, we settled instead for beating Georgetown 41-17 to finish off our 10-0 season, the students rushed the field, tore down both goal posts and for ONE night Davidson partied like an actual football school..then we turned back to focusing on basketball.

I fully expect Elon to beat the ***** out of us, but all of this "LET'S MURDER DAVIDSON, LET'S PUNISH DAVIDSON, LET'S PUT THEM IN THEIR PLACE" talk from the rest of you SoCon fans seems a bit unwarranted. Considering the non-stop criticism of Davidson "selling out" the SoCon and playing in the "unworthy of FCS" Pioneer League....give us some credit for stepping up to play a nationally ranked, full scholarship team on the road for our opening game...after we lost a 4 year starter at QB and are fielding a very young team.

The anti-sports factions of the administration decided to drop scholarships almost 20 years ago and it has taken us nearly 2 decades to finally achieve a level of stability with our football program. We are taking baby steps, we are headed up to Princeton in 2014 and renew a four year series with Georgetown next year. I head a rumor that we may try to play at the Citadel soon as well, we shall see. Believe me, an ENORMOUS number of alumni and former players hate that we don't play in the SoCon and would love to return someday. I doubt it will happen unless a sugar daddy like Jerry Richardson comes along or if Title IX is ever condemned as a "weapon of mass destruction" by the United Nations...perhaps we can hold Steph Curry hostage and steal his signing bonus? We shall see.

My former teammates and I are looking forward to watching Davidson's first game against a SoCon team in over 20 years. We aren't expecting much on the field but I would anticipate us to play hard and put up a respectable fight.

We haven't played since 1954, but I would like to point out that Davidson is 16-1 all time versus the Fighting Christians from Burlington. We completely dominated Elon during the Great Depression, perhaps that is where all this hatred stems from? Or wait, does this have to do with basketball jealousy and that national recognition that came along with our NCAA tournament run? xcoffeex

FYI, The Wildcats are also 14-6 all time versus South Carolina...but who isn't? We are 2-0 all-time against Auburn and 15-11-4 against Wake Forest. We were absolute hell during the 1930'sxnonox

See you in Burlington next week, thanks for all of the support "fellow" SoCon members.

Nice rant and strong convictions. I respect thatxthumbsupx

Now fund your program and get back in the SoCon for Football. :p

OL FU
August 26th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Seriously, I do respect Davidson for maintaining a football team. In todays world it would be very easy just to drop football and say to heck with trying. Kudos for not doing that. xthumbsupx

But now to the SoCon fans wanting Davidson whipped. Remember you generally own the league in the second most popular sport. So we are pissed you don't play football so that we can have some bragging rights in the first most popular sport. xnodx

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM

I don't think they were saying that they were the best team in IAA, but they were on the board with the same kind of exuberance that San Diego fans had on here in 2006.

What OL FU says is true, though. You guys have bullied everyone around in basketball and it's nice to even the score on the gridiron. xcoolx

gophoenix
August 27th, 2009, 06:48 AM

As for the smack by Davidson fans: yes it did Happen. If you can go pull up the ESPN SoCon, ESPN I-AA and the old I-AA scribe board that pre-dates this one, you'll see it plain as day. The burden of proof is on you since you're calling me a lair. I'll even given you a hint, find the URL and go to archive.org and they'll usually have 10 years worth of archives on websites. but hey, cry and lie all you want xthumbsupx

Now, why don't you guys man up and participate with the rest of the conference?

gophoenix
August 27th, 2009, 06:50 AM

It absolutely did on the ESPN SoCon board, ESPN I-AA board and that old Scribe board. Sure, it wasn't all Davidson fans, but it was enough to get the App and A&T posters on those sites at the time all riled up.

Woof
August 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Davidson @ Elon - Elon has something to prove after last year's Liberty game and will probably take advantage of their in-state rival who will be without Steph Curry xlolxxlolxxlolx. Could get ugly. Flaming Pigeons 45- Curry-less Cats 3.

Appalachian State @ East Carolina- ECU is unpredictable. Mountainqueers are big enough and fast enough to make this a nail biter. Partying Pirates 41- Appy's 35

Western Carolina @ Vanderbilt - Vandy takes care of business. 34-10

Glenville State @ UT Chattanooga - Who is Glenville State ? Would hope the Mocs can handle themselves in this one. Chatty 24- GS who 7

Wofford @ South Florida - As much as I'd like to see us make this close, we are too beat up and very young. S. Fla will be big and fast. Not a good match up for us. Praying we make it thru with no injuries. SFU 41- Mighty Terriers 17

Presbyterian @ Furman - FU rolls against a discombobulated PC squad. Lilacs 34- Blew Hose 7

The Citadel @ North Carolina - UNC is supposed to be better. El Cid is missing a running game so UNC will key on Cadet Roberts. Tarheels 42- Bull pups 17.

Albany @ Georgia Southern - Don't know a lot about the Danes, but Eaglets have some talent and should be motivated. GSU wins 35-21

Samford @ Central Florida - . Sammy will play em tough in the 1st half, but CFU pulls away in the second. CFU 31- Sammy 14

Just my xtwocentsx

Let's get ready to rumble xhypedxxhypedx

blueballs
August 27th, 2009, 11:40 AM
It absolutely did on the ESPN SoCon board, ESPN I-AA board and that old Scribe board. Sure, it wasn't all Davidson fans, but it was enough to get the App and A&T posters on those sites at the time all riled up.

... and App had a very strong team in 2000. They took the eventual National Champion GSU down to the last 10 seconds at Paulson (it was a tremendous game) and lost in the semis at Montana in OT.

ElonPride
August 27th, 2009, 12:25 PM
No, it did not, I have already addressed this on a different thread. gophoenix apparently makes up rumors from 10 years ago to get Elon motivated to play a non-scholarship school. .

It's no rumor. That actually did happen.......

Texcat34
August 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM
As for the smack by Davidson fans: yes it did Happen. If you can go pull up the ESPN SoCon, ESPN I-AA and the old I-AA scribe board that pre-dates this one, you'll see it plain as day. The burden of proof is on you since you're calling me a lair. I'll even given you a hint, find the URL and go to archive.org and they'll usually have 10 years worth of archives on websites. but hey, cry and lie all you want xthumbsupx

Now, why don't you guys man up and participate with the rest of the conference?

Ok gophoenix, fine, I'm sure we can all testify that every fan base has idiots that make ridiculous claims and get overly excited or obnoxious for no reason. However, I don't have the time or desire to look at obscure postings on archived message boards from almost 10 years ago. In fact, during that time period of 1997-2000 I was too busy going to class, labs, and playing football during our winning steak to even be aware of the existence of such darnfangled internet message boards, much less critique their posts.

I assume that since you were in the Elon band that you might had a bit more free time for such pursuits on the internet, thus I apologize if the excessive exuberance of some of the lunatic fringe of Davidson's base during our 2000, 10-0 season offended you so badly that it still haunts you to this very day. I'm sure our team will feel your wrath on September 5th all of the way from India as you poke needle pins into the Davidson Wildcat voodoo doll you acquired in Mumbai. Hopefully it will not impact their ability to cover man-child Terrell Hudgins.

I make no apologies in our pride for bringing Davidson football back from near-death to developing a modicum of respect during our consecutive 8-2, 8-3, and 10-0 seasons. Yes, we got excited about having the longest winning streak in NCAA football and found it humorous that the Charlotte Observer briefly listed us as the #1 college football team in the Carolinas. Believe it or not, Powerade even did a print and radio ad featuring Davidson football during the summer before our 10-0 season.

However, anyone intimately associated with our football program (including the players and most reasonable alums) was/is well aware that although our program has improved dramatically over the past 11 years or so...that we cannot seriously compete with the fully-funded FCS programs of the SoCon, much less ECU or even Duke or Rice for that matter. The next time we have a successful season I will do my damndest to monitor all message board traffic on the internet to make sure random Davidson fans do not offend the sensibilities of the rabid trombone section of the Elon band. Hell hath no fury.

As I have mentioned, a lot of Davidson people and former players desperately want us to return to SoCon football. However, 1) financial limitations (and 35k a year price tag for tuition), 2) Title IX issues (if Steph Curry gave us his signing bonus and we went full scholly, we would then have to create a women's softball, golf, ice skating, snowboarding, gymnastics, and underwater basket weaving team in order to comply..and we'd have to probably cut men's golf, track, and wrestling in the process..yes, I'm exaggerating but you get the picture), 3) a large(r) basketball budget relative to the rest of the SoCon, and 4) an administration terrified that recruited, scholarship football players would drag down the uber-nerd academic profile of the school....are all significant obstacles to ever returning to full scholarship football.

However, the recent development of the Davidson Trust, which has eliminated the use of loans in demonstrating 100% of financial aid to students could be a great tool in attracting football talent. Essentially, if you demonstrate need, tuition is loan-free, football player or otherwise.

I'm not saying a return to the SoCon will NEVER happen, the world of FCS and FBS football is constantly in flux and if the SoCon ever imploded and App State, Ga Southern, Chattanooga, etc. ever left the SoCon for FBS or another FCS conference...then perhaps if the SoCon was suddenly a bunch of relatively small private schools (Furman, Wofford, Citadel, Elon, etc..) then PERHAPS you could see a significant push in that direction. However, we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves.

Besides, Davidson was recently placed #8 in the U.S. News rankings of national Liberal Arts colleges (I am NOT bragging).

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/liberal-arts-rankings

If you examine who our peers are on the list, (Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, Wesleyan, Clairemont-McKenna, Vassar, Washington and Lee) it's absolutely f-ing amazing that we even play our "watered down/pathetic" version of FCS football in the PFL. THANK YOU DAYTON RULE!xthumbsupx and congrats to Colgate (#19 on the list) for being a great combination of academics/athletics that Davidson can still strive for. I'm not sure if the rest of the SoCon knew this but I heard a rumor that our basketball team went to the Elite in 2008 and finished #9 in the nation xlolx

http://members.cox.net/swimdad25/davidson%20rankings2.png

We are taking small steps in the right direction, raising money/upgrading facilities, and improving our schedule and recruiting. Despite the travel, lack of historic and geographic rivalries, etc., we are perfectly happy with the Pioneer League for now and we share the pipe dream of the conference someday procuring an AQ. However, we are having enough trouble right now getting out of the middle tier of the Pioneer League to even consider a future 1st round playoff game in frigid Missoula. I digress...who's ready for the end of the dog days of summer?

gophoenix
August 27th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Ok gophoenix, fine, I'm sure we can all testify that every fan base has idiots that make ridiculous claims and get overly excited or obnoxious for no reason. However, I don't have the time or desire to look at obscure postings on archived message boards from almost 10 years ago. In fact, during that time period of 1997-2000 I was too busy going to class, labs, and playing football during our winning steak to even be aware of the existence of such darnfangled internet message boards, much less critique their posts.

I assume that since you were in the Elon band that you might had a bit more free time for such pursuits on the internet, thus I apologize if the excessive exuberance of some of the lunatic fringe of Davidson's base during our 2000, 10-0 season offended you so badly that it still haunts you to this very day. I'm sure our team will feel your wrath on September 5th all of the way from India as you poke needle pins into the Davidson Wildcat voodoo doll you acquired in Mumbai. Hopefully it will not impact their ability to cover man-child Terrell Hudgins.

I make no apologies in our pride for bringing Davidson football back from near-death to developing a modicum of respect during our consecutive 8-2, 8-3, and 10-0 seasons. Yes, we got excited about having the longest winning streak in NCAA football and found it humorous that the Charlotte Observer briefly listed us as the #1 college football team in the Carolinas. Believe it or not, Powerade even did a print and radio ad featuring Davidson football during the summer before our 10-0 season.

However, anyone intimately associated with our football program (including the players and most reasonable alums) was/is well aware that although our program has improved dramatically over the past 11 years or so...that we cannot seriously compete with the fully-funded FCS programs of the SoCon, much less ECU or even Duke or Rice for that matter. The next time we have a successful season I will do my damndest to monitor all message board traffic on the internet to make sure random Davidson fans do not offend the sensibilities of the rabid trombone section of the Elon band. Hell hath no fury.

As I have mentioned, a lot of Davidson people and former players desperately want us to return to SoCon football. However, 1) financial limitations (and 35k a year price tag for tuition), 2) Title IX issues (if Steph Curry gave us his signing bonus and we went full scholly, we would then have to create a women's softball, golf, ice skating, snowboarding, gymnastics, and underwater basket weaving team in order to comply..and we'd have to probably cut men's golf, track, and wrestling in the process..yes, I'm exaggerating but you get the picture), 3) a large(r) basketball budget relative to the rest of the SoCon, and 4) an administration terrified that recruited, scholarship football players would drag down the uber-nerd academic profile of the school....are all significant obstacles to ever returning to full scholarship football.

However, the recent development of the Davidson Trust, which has eliminated the use of loans in demonstrating 100% of financial aid to students could be a great tool in attracting football talent. Essentially, if you demonstrate need, tuition is loan-free, football player or otherwise.

I'm not saying a return to the SoCon will NEVER happen, the world of FCS and FBS football is constantly in flux and if the SoCon ever imploded and App State, Ga Southern, Chattanooga, etc. ever left the SoCon for FBS or another FCS conference...then perhaps if the SoCon was suddenly a bunch of relatively small private schools (Furman, Wofford, Citadel, Elon, etc..) then PERHAPS you could see a significant push in that direction. However, we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves.

Besides, Davidson was recently placed #8 in the U.S. News rankings of national Liberal Arts colleges (I am NOT bragging).

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/liberal-arts-rankings

If you examine who our peers are on the list, (Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, Wesleyan, Clairemont-McKenna, Vassar, Washington and Lee) it's absolutely f-ing amazing that we even play our "watered down/pathetic" version of FCS football in the PFL. THANK YOU DAYTON RULE!xthumbsupx and congrats to Colgate (#19 on the list) for being a great combination of academics/athletics that Davidson can still strive for. I'm not sure if the rest of the SoCon knew this but I heard a rumor that our basketball team went to the Elite in 2008 and finished #9 in the nation xlolx

We are taking small steps in the right direction, raising money/upgrading facilities, and improving our schedule and recruiting. Despite the travel, lack of historic and geographic rivalries, etc., we are perfectly happy with the Pioneer League for now and we share the pipe dream of the conference someday procuring an AQ. However, we are having enough trouble right now getting out of the middle tier of the Pioneer League to even consider a future 1st round playoff game in frigid Missoula. I digress...who's ready for the end of the dog days of summer?

xlolxxlolxxlolx

You're going down the band path now? You're too funny. The SoCon schools (except Wofford) give out more band scholarships than Davidson does scholarships for football.

Also, please leave the basketball off of it. No one cares until the winter. This is football and you guys chose not to man up years ago. Last I saw, the basketball team and Curry weren't suiting up fort the football game next week. Did you hand the elite-8 banner in the football stadium too?!? :D

As for the rest of the attempted smack, it cracked me up! Good job Mr. Non-Scholarship Football xthumbsupx

elon77
August 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Feel better now?xbangx

Texcat34
August 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Feel better now?xbangx

Yes, thank you for your concern.

OL FU
August 27th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, thank you for your concern.

BTW I like the helmetxnodx