PDA

View Full Version : New Texas State Coach

KiddBrewer
December 9th, 2005, 10:33 PM
How soon should Texas States coach be fired?

yosefcity
December 9th, 2005, 10:38 PM
That looked like something out of Bobby Lambs playbook.

catamount man
December 9th, 2005, 10:41 PM
There's not ENOUGH ass kissing in the world to make his players forget this game. Baliff "Lamb'ed" it for sure. Sheesh! :asswhip: GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Kill'em
December 9th, 2005, 10:47 PM
How soon should Texas' coach be fired?
Funny you should mention this. I missed the play because I was watching the sports report on Georgia Southern's new head coach.

ASU Kep
December 9th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Damn, I was about to create a "And the Bobby Lamb Award goes to..." post on the smack board. Guess it wouldn't be as original as I thought it would've been. :D

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Bailiff is the next Grady Little (on a smaller degree, obviously). Get your team as close as possible to the championship...then make a stupid decision to lose the game. Bailiff has lost the confidence of all his players. I would not want to be a part of that team anymore if I were at TXST.

MarkCCU
December 9th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Bailiff is the next Grady Little (on a smaller degree, obviously). Get your team as close as possible to the championship...then make a stupid decision to lose the game. Bailiff has lost the confidence of all his players. I would not want to be a part of that team anymore if I were at TXST.

once again i agree with you. you blow a game this big, especially with national coverage and there will be reprecutions. come Monday, i contend that there will be some big doings goins on down in Texas..

Rule #1 Don't Mess with Texas :smiley_wi

ngineer
December 9th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I was dumbfounded. I have never seen such a decision in my life---except when Ara Parseghian played for the tie against Michigan State in 1966 (dating myself here!). And ever since that game I lost all respect for Parseghian. I hear the Judge calling...."Bailiff!!!" I really feel sorry for the Texas State players. Both teams played their hearts out. I can only say that I won my bet with my wife--I picked UNI by 3! :D

skinny_uncle
December 10th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Losing in the playoffs should not cost a coach his job. If it did, there would be only one coach in IAA keeping his job each year. Just getting there is probably a good reason to keep a coach.

JohnStOnge
December 10th, 2005, 01:09 AM
LOL! As I said on another thread...it's got to be tough for Texas State fans. The guy built a team good enough to compete for the national championship after the program had never even made the playoffs, yet he did something like that when advancing to the championship game was on the line.

I think the fact that Texas State fans were booing when they came out and started kneeling says it all. You KNOW his players didn't want to do that. that was insane.

To me, you have the advantage when you're in a tie game with a little over a minute left, in possession with three time outs while the opponent doesn't have any under circumstances where your offense has moved the ball well. You have at least a chance to score and control the clock so that the other team either has no time left or not enough to do anything. You do not have the advantage when you go into overtime in a game where both offenses have moved the ball like that. You're basically looking at a 50:50 proposition at best.

blackfordpu
December 10th, 2005, 01:37 AM
How soon should Texas' coach be fired?

He led them to their most successful season ever, he will not be fired. Mark my words!

December 10th, 2005, 01:46 AM
LOL!John, really be frank with us. Do you think it was a mistake not to take some shots at getting a score at the end of the 4th quarter for TXST? BTW, are you a Bobcat Cowboy? :smiley_wi :p xlolx xlolx xlolx

darussian12
December 10th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Bailiff is not going anywhere anytime soon...hes loved too much here and while some people are going nuts about this and demanding him be fired these are the same people that just found out about TX State football and became fans 2 weeks ago and have no clue whatk ind of turnaround he has brought....i dont agree or even comprehend why in the world he didnt take a shot at the win during reg but hey im not the coach and neither is anyone on here...the players might not have wanted to take the knee but each and every single one of them will play their hearts out for him next year...some of you have no clue what bailiff brings to this team....and for god sakes he make it to the semi finals in his second year at a school that has had like 3 winning seasons before this...get a grip and get ready to see him back in the playoffs next year again :-)....and these same bandwagon fans calling for his head will be the same ones that wont turn out for a single game until the playoffs come around again...they have no clue!!

GoGSU
December 10th, 2005, 06:49 AM
after TX State graduates their 28 or so seniors, they will be back to the armpit of the Southland Conf. anyway...

TexasTerror
December 10th, 2005, 07:30 AM
after TX State graduates their 28 or so seniors, they will be back to the armpit of the Southland Conf. anyway...

We shall see...

They are going to be smack-talking all summer long about how they're going to be at the top of the SLC, but I think loads of folks are going to tank them in the preseason polls to the 5th spot...

Kill'em
December 10th, 2005, 09:20 AM
From the reaction I saw, the players were angry about the decision to play for overtime. The way they move the ball and the field position they had would have made it a easy choice to go for the throat right then. Then again, I'm not a coach.

ngineer
December 10th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I don't see Bailiff losing his job over this. He's done a great job of rebuilding the program..BUT, pull another stunt like that and I could see walking papers. :asswhip: :spank: xidiotx

Anovafan
December 14th, 2005, 03:06 PM
When I watched GSU lose, I said you know, I bet Sewak gets fired, and I was right. When I watched TX St. lose, I said you know, that guy just made I-AA look really bad. No way he gets fired after the great turn-around this year, but a coaching move like that makes I-AA look inferior to I-A (which it is not!). That was possibly the worst coaching decision I have ever seen in person and he deserved to lose. I feel bad for the kids, they played tough and deserved a chance to pull it out in regulation.

DinoDex200
December 14th, 2005, 03:16 PM
They replaced him! But, they figured they better get a guy with the same philosophies on dangerous situations:

http://www.planet-familyguy.com/pfg/images/characters/mort_tn.jpg

:)

LacesOut
December 14th, 2005, 03:58 PM
So did he ever explain the rationale behind his decision to play for OT?? (I'm sure it's been posted, I must have missed it)

Kill'em
December 14th, 2005, 07:17 PM
When I watched GSU lose, I said you know, I bet Sewak gets fired, and I was right. When I watched TX St. lose, I said you know, that guy just made I-AA look really bad. No way he gets fired after the great turn-around this year, but a coaching move like that makes I-AA look inferior to I-A (which it is not!). That was possibly the worst coaching decision I have ever seen in person and he deserved to lose. I feel bad for the kids, they played tough and deserved a chance to pull it out in regulation.
There was one Coach's decision that, although I only saw it on T.V. was still worse than that. Can the App. St fans help me with this one? xlolx

DinoDex200
December 15th, 2005, 10:44 AM
There was one Coach's decision that, although I only saw it on T.V. was still worse than that. Can the App. St fans help me with this one? xlolx

GO FOR 2!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

EagleCrusade
December 15th, 2005, 11:13 AM
GO FOR 2!!!

DING DING DING DING DING!!
http://www.barthle.com/asu%5Ffootball/multimedia/video/#furman2002

Kill'em
December 15th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I'm sorry to rub that in Furman's face but that is the worst coaching blunder of all time.

goasu984Life
December 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM
I'm sorry to rub that in Furman's face but that is the worst coaching blunder of all time.
If it's not No. 1, it is definitely close to the top of the list.

Eaglegus2
December 15th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Per Blueballs,

Baliff should win the Coach of the Year Award.

Contrary to the Texas State fans, Baliff will not take a knee when he accepts the award.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I-AA Fan
December 15th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I completely agree with the decision & think it was a smart thing to do. Maybe a little lack of trust in the kicker ... but UNI's defense was taking over the game, the offense had just driven for the tying score and Wingart was not going to miss anything afer the initial botched XP. Neally was clearly overly-excited & did not see (or misjudged the speed of) the DB coming accross, (or thought he had more on the ball than he actually did) and threw the INT. How do you blame a coach for that? Neally forgot where he was on the field ... he could have taken the knee inside the hatch mark, but he did not.

DinoDex200
December 15th, 2005, 02:57 PM
I completely agree with the decision & think it was a smart thing to do. Maybe a little lack of trust in the kicker ... but UNI's defense was taking over the game, the offense had just driven for the tying score and Wingart was not going to miss anything afer the initial botched XP. Neally was clearly overly-excited & did not see (or misjudged the speed of) the DB coming accross, (or thought he had more on the ball than he actually did) and threw the INT. How do you blame a coach for that? Neally forgot where he was on the field ... he could have taken the knee inside the hatch mark, but he did not.

When you have supposedly the most NFL ready QB in I-AA under center, you don't do something that chicken$h!t. It was a bad call, and nobody's defense ever thought about taking over that game...

bandl
December 15th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Did you happen to watch the whole game and see how unflappable Nealy was UNTIL OT?? Maybe it was his coach's lack of faith in him and the rest of the offense that made Nealy think "WTF" in OT, causing him to zone out and throw that interception.

As someone said on the thread earlier...give the kids a chance to win it, with one of the best QB's in I-AA and 3 timeouts.

windwalker
December 15th, 2005, 03:02 PM
If it's not No. 1, it is definitely close to the top of the list.

The "Super Safety" has to be close also...

EagleCrusade
December 15th, 2005, 03:56 PM
The "Super Safety" has to be close also...

That wins dumbest play by a player. The coach had the right idea. The player had no idea.

The ASU/FU game was a pure coaching decision.
FSN color commentator Ethan Hawke: 'I don't think I would've gone for 2 there'
FSN's Bob Rathbun: 'why would you? squib kick and go home!'

DinoDex200
December 15th, 2005, 04:07 PM
That wins dumbest play by a player. The coach had the right idea. The player had no idea.

The ASU/FU game was a pure coaching decision.
FSN color commentator Ethan Hawke: 'I don't think I would've gone for 2 there'
FSN's Bob Rathbun: 'why would you? squib kick and go home!'

Ethan Hawke?! :lmao:

I know, you meant Ethan Horton.

Speaking of Mr. Hawke, one of my favorite "Norm McDonald doing Larry King" on SNL lines:

"If you only see one movie this year, it has to be...Gattaca!

Pete's Weekly
December 15th, 2005, 06:06 PM
When you have supposedly the most NFL ready QB in I-AA under center, you don't do something that chicken$h!t. It was a bad call, and nobody's defense ever thought about taking over that game...

Suppose (I repeat suppose) Nealy is all you say he is:

Does it make more sense to drive 30 yards, or 60? What you are proposing makes no sense. Good, great, or greatest ... 30 yards always makes more sense. The risk of a TO is too great (as Neally found out in OT). Or, if you have to punt, the risk of a big return. UNI had TO's remaining as well. As good as Nealy is ... Sanders had a 78% completion ratio, and over 400 yards passing that day. His last drive was about 3 minutes, and he was hitting the long ball the entire 4th quarter. In my opinion ...the correct call was made. Again, you are blaming the coach for a sensless INT.

Why aren't you upset that Nealy was trying to make something out of nothing, when he could hve downed the ball in the middle of the field?

DinoDex200
December 16th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Suppose (I repeat suppose) Nealy is all you say he is:

Does it make more sense to drive 30 yards, or 60? What you are proposing makes no sense. Good, great, or greatest ... 30 yards always makes more sense. The risk of a TO is too great (as Neally found out in OT). Or, if you have to punt, the risk of a big return. UNI had TO's remaining as well. As good as Nealy is ... Sanders had a 78% completion ratio, and over 400 yards passing that day. His last drive was about 3 minutes, and he was hitting the long ball the entire 4th quarter. In my opinion ...the correct call was made. Again, you are blaming the coach for a sensless INT.

Why aren't you upset that Nealy was trying to make something out of nothing, when he could hve downed the ball in the middle of the field?

Wrong...UNI had 1 timeout remaining, and if they felt it was worth it, they would have used it when Tx. State was bleeding the clock. The risk of a TO at any point in a game is great...maybe they should take a knee everytime they had the ball because the D might force a turnover? It's a pu$$y call...he played not to lose...and you usually don't win in those situations. You are assuming, in all those situations, that your team cannot get it done. That is not what a coach should think at this point in a season. What makes more sense, scoring with little to no left so UNI can't answer, or playing in a scenario where each team can answer the other's score until one is stopped? 99.9% of coaches with 3 TO's, and a dynamite QB don't take 3 knees.

And ultimately, the judgement of how wise or foolish a controversial decision is can usually be judged by the outcome of the game. Since Texas State is playing for the National Title in Chattanooga, we can determine that...oh...wait...