PDA

View Full Version : Weekly NEC Pick'em Contest

Original_RMC
August 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
For you NEC Football Fans please let me know if you are interested in doing a weekly NEC Pick'em Contest.

This contest is just for fun

I will post the games slated for the 1st week and so on.
I will post that weeks schedule and you just have to pick the winner.

So for Example, I will post a new thread for Week 1 and post the games:
Albany @ Georgia Southern
Bryant vs. Southern Connecticut
CCSU @ Lehigh
Duquesne vs. Bucknell
Monmouth @ Colgate
RMU @ VMI
Sacred Heart vs. Marist
SFPA @ New Hampshire
Wagner vs. Stonehill

You post who you think will win outright and maybe offer a little comment for each pick (some people will do that)

I will collect your picks and then post the results.
I will keep a running total of everyone weekly wins and losses.

Good Luck

Dane96
August 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Albany @ Georgia Southern- Giddy up on the season, but I am more skeptical of our O-Line than others. That, plus the heat...puts this in the hands of the Gnats...I mean GSU. GSU by 2 TD's.

Bryant vs. Southern Connecticut- SOCO wont be as easy as it was back when I mixed it with lime....Bryant by 4

CCSU @ Lehigh- I dont know what to make of either team...but I do know that CCSU is hungry and will try to smash it down Lehigh's throat...and likely can. CCSU by 3.

Duquesne vs. Bucknell- tight game...and I think the Dukes are one year away. Bucknell by 3

Monmouth @ Colgate- What a game this will be...but I think Sinisi is the difference. Monmouth by 6.

RMU @ VMI- Perplexed by this because RMU has been "building back up" for years...and I am not sold on VMI at al. If I have to pick....I take VMI at home.

Sacred Heart vs. Marist- Sacred Heart is young and back...the Heart by 10

SFPA @ New Hampshire- Quoting Wildcats, "U UGLY...WHAT WHAT U UGLY...U-G-L-Y and you aint got no alibi, U UGLY..." New Hamshire by 4 Dozen or more....

Wagner vs. Stonehill- Wagner loses this game...and I am on the Bat phone to the Albany AD to get us out of the NEC. Wagner by 8.

dgreco
August 20th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Albany @ Georgia Southern - too long of a trip for albany against a tough team, should be close though.
Bryant vs. Southern Connecticut - should win, and should be close, hopefully they are not trying to prepare for Hofstra all preseason
CCSU @ Lehigh - just a hunch
Duquesne vs. Bucknell - Duquesne barely pulls it out at home
Monmouth @ Colgate - think Monmouth is just a little better, nice sized line with a great back
RMU @ VMI - two close teams, taking the home team
Sacred Heart vs. Marist - if they build on last year it should be a good win for SHU
SFPA @ New Hampshire - it will be a game up until the coin toss
Wagner vs. Stonehill - they can't lose two years in a row to stonehill, can they?

89Hen
August 20th, 2009, 05:28 PM
CCSU @ Lehigh
Duquesne vs. Bucknell
Monmouth @ Colgate
RMU @ VMI
Sacred Heart vs. Marist
SFPA @ New Hampshire
Wagner vs. Stonehill

Original_RMC
August 20th, 2009, 07:27 PM
You don't have to make your picks now...LOL...I was just looking to collect the names of those interested...i won't count these picks now.
I'll post the upcoming games Monday of game week

Dane96
August 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Keep these picks recycled...just bump the thread later.

Original_RMC
August 21st, 2009, 08:58 AM
I added Dane96-dgreco-89Hen so far and I put down your very early picks

Seahawks Fan
August 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM
CCSU @ Lehigh
Duquesne vs. Bucknell
Monmouth @ Colgate Hawks should get off to a good start.
RMU @ VMI
Sacred Heart vs. Marist
SFPA @ New Hampshire
Wagner vs. Stonehill We better win this game!

LUHawker
August 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM
CCSU[/B] @ Lehigh- I dont know what to make of either team...but I do know that CCSU is hungry and will try to smash it down Lehigh's throat...and likely can. CCSU by 3.

Based on what? Lehigh has a very stout defense, particularly against the run. This isn't the same LU team that the Danes surprised a few years ago. Lehigh by 12. As I've told Ace in the Hole several times now. Lehigh over CCSU " Mark it down!"

Dane96
August 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
Because CCSU runs the ball well. Yes, Lehigh only gave up 109 on the ground per game...but against teams like CCSU with power rushing attacks...I expect them to give up in the 140-160 range and look to control the clock. CCSU goes for about 230 a game.

They put up big numbers at NDSU and at Georgia Southern...and I dont expect that to change against Lehigh.

And you are smoking some good stuff if you think a Coen coached team was "suprised" by Albany. You got beat...period. Quite frankly....from that day forward, I would take Albany (and I suspect other non-homers would as well) at least 50% of the time against Lehigh and just about anyone in the Patriot League. Same said of CCSU and Monmouth.

The days of beating top NEC teams handidly are over. A 12 pt prediction may happen...but is slightly based on homerism more than anything.

JMG1MON
August 22nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Count me in. I'll post my picks for week 1 closer to game time!!

seahawkfan2007
August 24th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Count me in. I'll post my picks later this week.

LUHawker
August 24th, 2009, 08:16 AM
And you are smoking some good stuff if you think a Coen coached team was "suprised" by Albany. You got beat...period. Quite frankly....from that day forward, I would take Albany (and I suspect other non-homers would as well) at least 50% of the time against Lehigh and just about anyone in the Patriot League. Same said of CCSU and Monmouth.

The days of beating top NEC teams handidly are over. A 12 pt prediction may happen...but is slightly based on homerism more than anything.

Dane96 - I think you are getting your panties in a bunch. When I wrote "surprised" I meant that Albany was quite good and better than what Lehigh was expecting. Don't always presume some sort of slight.

You are entitled to your opinions and predictions surrounding comments about winning at least 50% or more and yes the gap between the PL teams and the NEC has shrunk dramatically. That being said, that does not make my prediction or opinion a 'homer' pick.

I'm picking Lehigh based upon how they finished out the season last year, how they looked in the spring and a bunch of other factors like: a seasoned QB, a much stronger RB corp, an experienced and deep defense and a complete squad of Andy Coen recruits running his system.

The good thing is, we won't have to wait much longer to revisit this discussion. xpeacex

As a side note, an experienced Albany defeated Lehigh in a monsoon in Andy Coen's coaching debut back in '06, by 2-3 points. Hardly the sound whipping you might be suggesting.

downbythebeach
August 24th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I'm in

BobbyMo
August 24th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I'm in. Thanks for doing this O-RMC.

Original_RMC
August 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
No Problem...I hoping this sparks some great NEC threads through the year and also helps others learn about the NEC since some team will be getting that auto bid in 2010.

Go...gate
August 24th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Colgate struggles in its openers and is seeing some new faces in the line-up, so Monmouth definitely has a good shot to win. I think the night game thing will be novel at the beginning but will have no effect on the outcome. Colgate, 23-20.

Original_RMC
August 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM
So Far 9 members are in

danefan
August 25th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I'm in too.

WWII
August 25th, 2009, 12:58 PM
i'm in

aceinthehole
August 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
You know I'm in!

Raider Dane
August 27th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Sign me up...... by the way, I'll take Albany in a squeaker over the Cincinnati Bearcats on opening day 2011

bobcat7
August 27th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Add me to the list. Thanks for this excellent distraction. I'm sure everyone is appreciative.

Original_RMC
August 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I will post the 1st week games on Monday

Bulldog Fan
August 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM
CCSU @ Lehigh
Duquesne vs. Bucknell
Monmouth @ Colgate
RMU @ VMI
Sacred Heart vs. Marist
SFPA @ New Hampshire
Wagner vs. Stonehill

ngineer
August 29th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Dane96 - I think you are getting your panties in a bunch. When I wrote "surprised" I meant that Albany was quite good and better than what Lehigh was expecting. Don't always presume some sort of slight.

You are entitled to your opinions and predictions surrounding comments about winning at least 50% or more and yes the gap between the PL teams and the NEC has shrunk dramatically. That being said, that does not make my prediction or opinion a 'homer' pick.

I'm picking Lehigh based upon how they finished out the season last year, how they looked in the spring and a bunch of other factors like: a seasoned QB, a much stronger RB corp, an experienced and deep defense and a complete squad of Andy Coen recruits running his system.

The good thing is, we won't have to wait much longer to revisit this discussion. xpeacex

As a side note, an experienced Albany defeated Lehigh in a monsoon in Andy Coen's coaching debut back in '06, by 2-3 points. Hardly the sound whipping you might be suggesting.

Actually, 1 point. 16-17.xreadx

Original_RMC
August 30th, 2009, 06:50 AM
CCSU @ Lehigh
Duquesne vs. Bucknell
Monmouth @ Colgate
RMU @ VMI
Sacred Heart vs. Marist
SFPA @ New Hampshire
Wagner vs. Stonehill

I have you down and marked down your picks but remember your official picks will need to be posted in a new thread I will create on Monday.

BucBloc
August 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I will be in also