PDA

View Full Version : Columbia to decide on new HC soon

Tribefan
December 9th, 2005, 05:11 PM
http://www.columbiaspectator.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/12/09/4399333821844

Interesting. A D III HC and I-A Offensive coordinator are finalists.

Leopard's Claw
December 9th, 2005, 06:19 PM
actually isn't that big of a surprise....he comes up through the ranks in the Al Bagnoli (UPenn HC- also former mentor) format....Bagnoli had similar success to Priore's crazy numbers at Trinity when both were at DIII Union about 10 years ago.

Husky Alum
December 9th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I'd take the Trinity HC in a second. He's got a great reputation.

There was a show on CSTV on Trinity Football this year, I believe discussing the Trinity-Williams rivalry/game (which is a pretty big deal in New England), and the guy is very well liked and respected by his players and peers.

blukeys
December 9th, 2005, 08:38 PM

There was a show on CSTV on Trinity Football this year, I believe discussing the Trinity-Williams rivalry/game (which is a pretty big deal in New England), and the guy is very well liked and respected by his players and peers.

With all that being said and true, How does he get quality recruits to Columbia?????

The armpit (and I am being charitable here) of the Ivy League. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DFW HOYA
December 9th, 2005, 08:44 PM
With all that being said and true, How does he get quality recruits to Columbia?????

The same way Phil Estes did it at Brown: by outworking his competition. Prior to 2005, Brown had one co-Ivy crown in 50 years, the same as Columbia.

Tribefan
December 11th, 2005, 03:55 PM
http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/article.asp?intID=4750

Norries Wilson announced as the new HC.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 12th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Another story on Columbia's new HC:

Hartford Courant Story (http://www.courant.com/sports/college/football/hc-wilson1212.artdec12,0,5093681.story?coll=hc-headlines-collegefootball)

BTW, the Trinity College HC that Husky Alum talked about took the Stony Brook job.

Marcus Garvey
December 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM

I wouldn't. The NESCAC is so damn insulated for football, that the quality of football play and coaching is somewhat unknown. The few games I've seen among those teams were pretty sloppy and chippy.

There are plenty of D-III coaches capable of making the leap to I-AA however.

Marcus Garvey
December 12th, 2005, 11:43 AM
The same way Phil Estes did it at Brown: by outworking his competition. Prior to 2005, Brown had one co-Ivy crown in 50 years, the same as Columbia.

Yeah, but Brown has a HUGE advantage over Columbia: It's in Providence! Nice campus, good facilities which are relatively close to campus (just a few blocks). The stadium is only a few more blocks away. You can walk to the games as opposed to taking the IRT. Hell, players need transportation to practice at Columbia.

Anyhow, Mark Whipple began Brown's resurgence. Estes has taken the ball, and run for a TD so to speak.

ngineer
December 12th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Well, UConn's Norries Wilson is the new HC at Columbia. Is this good. I see it as someone looking to, hopefully, do a fix and then move on--unless he has some tie to Morningside Heights...Who knows anything about him???

colgate13
December 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Well, UConn's Norries Wilson is the new HC at Columbia. Is this good. I see it as someone looking to, hopefully, do a fix and then move on--unless he has some tie to Morningside Heights...Who knows anything about him???

The Bucknell folks should... if you see any!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Another story on Columbia's new HC:

Hartford Courant Story (http://www.courant.com/sports/college/football/hc-wilson1212.artdec12,0,5093681.story?coll=hc-headlines-collegefootball)

BTW, the Trinity College HC that Husky Alum talked about took the Stony Brook job.

Wilson becomes the 18th coach in Columbia's 135-year history. Not counting historically black colleges, it is believed Wilson and Indiana State's Lou West are the only black head coaches in Division I-AA. There are four black head coaches in Division I-A.

Is that true? Discounting HBCUs, there are only 2 African-American head coaches in I-AA? I can't explain it, but I don't think that's right.

Tribefan
December 12th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Last season UConn had the top rated offense in the BE, they had the leading rusher and Orlovsky was drafted in the 4th round by Detroit.

I think the consensus among UConn fans is that this a weird move, apparently he was offered the UMass job a while back and turned it down. So why would he take a dead end job in the Ivy league?

Marcus Garvey
December 12th, 2005, 03:09 PM
So why would he take a dead end job in the Ivy league?

Agreed. This is bizarre. I will not believe that CU is dedicated to fielding competitive teams (in any sport, not just football) until they actually begin winning. This guy looks like he has a future as a head coach at the I-A level. Taking this particular job seems, for lack of a better word, studid.