PDA

View Full Version : TXST Receiving Major Gift?

TexasTerror
August 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Our friends in San Marcos will be announcing a major gift at their football opener against Angelo State on Sept. 5. Any idea what's going on? Is this another nice check from some of the "players" who have been involved in the past as far as donations go?

Join the excitement as Texas State opens the west side complex at Bobcat Stadium - and makes a major gift announcement.

http://www.ua.txstate.edu/MovingOnUp.html

BobcatSymphony
August 18th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Not sure if any of us TxSt members are in the know on this one, but if someone is, my money is on them having to keep it hush hush.

bobcatalum05
August 18th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Not sure if any of us TxSt members are in the know on this one, but if someone is, my money is on them having to keep it hush hush.

I know what it is but I have to keep it hush hush because they threatened to kill my first born if I leak the info.

In all seriousness, I dont know jack.

TexasTerror
August 18th, 2009, 07:25 PM
They announced this a few weeks before the game. What are the odds that it leaks into the public? I know of a school that kept quiet a $35-50M gift for a month!

BobcatSymphony
August 19th, 2009, 06:59 AM
They announced this a few weeks before the game. What are the odds that it leaks into the public? I know of a school that kept quiet a $35-50M gift for a month!

But at the same time, the admin is trying to build more buzz around the San Marcos area, both campus and communities, to entice people to come out to games.

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2009, 08:12 AM
But at the same time, the admin is trying to build more buzz around the San Marcos area, both campus and communities, to entice people to come out to games.

And this is the game to entice people to come out...Angelo State. Probably the "hardest sell" on the slate. Though, it is the season opener. What attendance did you guys have for your last sub-Div I opener?

chrisattsu
August 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM
And this is the game to entice people to come out...Angelo State. Probably the "hardest sell" on the slate. Though, it is the season opener. What attendance did you guys have for your last sub-Div I opener?

2008 -- Angelo State -- 13,952
2007 -- Abilene Christian -- 12,726
2006 -- Tarleton State -- 15,388

centexguy
August 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
It may just be the "official" announcement and appreciation of the $1 million gift the Fields made a few months ago to Texas State. I looked at the latest TSUS BOR meeting minutes from June and there was no mention of any other major football donations to Texas State, and normally you'll see them listed there before they are made public. Of course, someone may have made a major contribution since then.

FormerPokeCenter
August 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM
After much digging and investigative sleuth work, I've determined what the gift is:

A Bronzed Knee Pad for the trophy case ;)

McNeeserocket
August 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM
After much digging and investigative sleuth work, I've determined what the gift is:

Now that is funny!xbowx

BobcatJH
August 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM
That is funny, but you could have at least said a platinum knee pad.........

xbowx

lancerTXST
August 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM
ouch

txphi592
August 19th, 2009, 07:02 PM

I would wager to say that 60% of the attendees will not know the difference between Angelo St. and Nichols St, SE LA, etc.

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Someone on BFs.com said that they had a presser today for a $6M gift to TXST athletics. No name. No info available just yet...

If someone knows anything, please post.

El Gato
September 4th, 2009, 06:17 PM

xoopsx

That was actually quite funny. Nice.....I hate remembering that...

katstrapper
September 4th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Angelo State is no pushover. They are always big and come to play.

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2009, 09:34 PM
TXST knows about not overlooking D2 squads.

They have played within one score the last few times, sandwiched around that loss two years ago... ;)

slycat
September 4th, 2009, 11:13 PM
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/09/05/0905texasstate.html

This afternoon, Texas State President Denise Trauth is set to announce the largest donation ever to the school's athletic department, $6 million, courtesy of Houston businessman and Texas State graduate Jerry Fields and his wife, Linda. The Fieldses are co-chairs of Texas State's Pride in Action fundraising campaign, and the new westside stands will bear their names.

"My wife and I happen to believe we'll leave a footprint at Texas State. ... I think my giving will end the day I die," he said.

The Fieldses, who also support academic programs at Texas State, have contributed more than $9 million to the school.

And for more logic on why the school wants to move up even if its to the Sun Belt.

Wood Selig, Western Kentucky's athletic director, said, "We had been successful, even won a national championship in 2002. But we realized that the return on our investment was not all that great at the I-AA level."

Selig said that after the switch, the team exponentially increased its season-ticket sales, jumping from 1,800 to 9,100.

"The surprise was the national notoriety and attention. We're going to have half of our games televised this year and 53 million homes for our game against Tennessee," Selig said.

"You're on TV, you're on (ESPN's) 'SportsCenter,' on the ticker. ... You're part of the mainstream of college football."

centexguy
September 4th, 2009, 11:42 PM
That's a very nice donation, and it shows they are serious about going FBS along with UTSA. Is that $6 million helping to pay for the current upgrade to the stadium?

slycat
September 5th, 2009, 09:51 AM
That's a very nice donation, and it shows they are serious about going FBS along with UTSA. Is that $6 million helping to pay for the current upgrade to the stadium?

I wouldn't be surprised. The $17 million spent to build it was mostly from the school pocket, so it would need to be paid back. The increased student fees and profit from the new club seat and suites pays for it too.

This will just help ensure the next phase of the expansion occurs.