PDA

View Full Version : It's Official

KJ Eagle
December 9th, 2005, 03:15 PM
The new Head Coach at Georgia Southern is Brian Van Gorder.

AppFootballAlum
December 9th, 2005, 03:17 PM
The new Head Coach at Georgia Southern is Brian Van Gorder.

Congrats and good luck - I assume GSU fans are happy with the selection

Cocky
December 9th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Is the 400K plus salary for real? If so the bar has been raised quite a bit for the top of I-AA. I hope some was left for the asst.

Maverick
December 9th, 2005, 03:22 PM
He hasn't lost any playoff games yet!!! Just Kidding!!! Congrats on the new hire, the defensive problems should be solved pretty quick. However, like so many others, I wonder about his offensive plans for the team. When you get that please share it with us.

ButlerGSU
December 9th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I loved the fact that he said he wouldn't want to be anywhere except where the expectations are excellence.

goasu984Life
December 9th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I loved the fact that he said he wouldn't want to be anywhere except where the expectations are excellence.
Then why did he go to Jacksonville?

Baldy
December 9th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Then why did he go to Jacksonville?

Hey, Jax is 9-3, then again he's leaving so......

Best VanGorder quote:

"Professionally, I am looking for a place that is committed to excellence. I believe we all know that Georgia Southern is committed to this goal. It is a region of the country that my family loves and Statesboro is a place I would like to raise my children."

goasu984Life
December 9th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Yeah, but Jacksonville doesn't really have "expectations of excellence." Yes, they are having a good year, but they also have had some really bad ones in the not-so-distant past. That was my only point.

BTW, will he get a warm reception, being a former UGA assistant?

nick9c
December 9th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Hey, Jax is 9-3, then again he's leaving so......

Best VanGorder quote:

[i It is a region of the country that my family loves and Statesboro is a place I would like to raise my children."[/i]

Now that's scary!

Maverick
December 9th, 2005, 03:49 PM
He won't be a former UGA assistant until he loses!!!

soweagle
December 9th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Now that's scary!

Why? The schools systems are pretty good and the crime rate is low. If you like the small town atmosphere then it is a good place to live. If you like the big city life then it would suck. I wish I lived in Statesboro as opposed to the small town I live in where the school system is horrible.

Baldy
December 9th, 2005, 03:51 PM

I don't care if he was a former al-Qaeda assistant. He's ours now and the sky is our only limit.

goasu984Life
December 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
He won't be a former UGA assistant until he loses!!!
Point taken

soweagle
December 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Yeah, but Jacksonville doesn't really have "expectations of excellence." Yes, they are having a good year, but they also have had some really bad ones in the not-so-distant past. That was my only point.

Erk was a former UGA assistant. Most GSU fans don't hate UGA the school or the team but rather the fans of UGA that look down on GSU for being in I-AA.

goasu984Life
December 9th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Erk was a former UGA assistant. Most GSU fans don't hate UGA the school or the team but rather the fans of UGA that look down on GSU for being in I-AA.
Gotcha

Baldy
December 9th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Now that's scary!

Yeah, for all you clowns in the SoCon. ;)
There's a new sheriff in town. :nod:

Small but not too small of a town, good school system, pretty good weather, Savannah and the beaches are only 45 minutes away. Hey, what's not to love? :rotateh:

goasu984Life
December 9th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Woah, woah, woah! He's won as many games as a head coach at Georgia Southern as I have. Hold off on that talk for a minute.

Maverick
December 9th, 2005, 03:56 PM
He's from a private school whose mascot is a purple knight! Sounds a little high-toned to me!! What kind of guy is this coach to want to live were there might be poor folks?? I am sure some of them fine paladins do have a tendency to look down their noses at place like Statesboro with all that the Greenville-Spartanburg area has to offer!! Just be careful Nick9c, it is real painful to fall off a high horse!!! :eyebrow: xlolx

Griz Grunt
December 9th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I don't care if he was a former al-Qaeda assistant. He's ours now and the sky is our only limit.

I won't say it...I won't say it...I won't say it...:smiley_wi

pete4256
December 9th, 2005, 04:02 PM

All of that is coachspeak--we all know that.

As for the second, Eagle fans are delirious with joy right now. Many of them are closet UGA fans (shhh . . . don't tell anyone I said so).

goasu984Life
December 9th, 2005, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=pete4256]All of that is coachspeak--we all know that./QUOTE]
Trust me. I know. I did my post-graduate work in coachspeak.

pete4256
December 9th, 2005, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=pete4256]All of that is coachspeak--we all know that./QUOTE]
Trust me. I know. I did my post-graduate work in coachspeak.

I hope no one's dumb enough to think his press conference was anything but.

Bronco
December 9th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Will he keep the option?
I would guess yes because the fans like it and recent recruits were brought in to run it.

goasu984Life
December 9th, 2005, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=goasu984Life]

I hope no one's dumb enough to think his press conference was anything but.
Nah. I have been around enough coaches to know how the first press conference goes.

Random Coach: "This is the greatest place in the world to be."

A couple of years later: "I'm leaving."

PantherRob82
December 9th, 2005, 04:12 PM
now if you can just get a new ad! :hurray:

SoCon48
December 9th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Yeah, for all you clowns in the SoCon. ;)
There's a new sheriff in town. :nod:

Small but not too small of a town, good school system, pretty good weather, Savannah and the beaches are only 45 minutes away. Hey, what's not to love? :rotateh:
What's not to love? Umm, gnats and 'necks. :cool:

straightshooter
December 9th, 2005, 04:47 PM
And what's not to love about Boone? No gnats, but as many 'necks as the Boro has gnats to make up for it.

BigApp
December 9th, 2005, 08:24 PM
And what's not to love about Boone? No gnats, but as many 'necks as the Boro has gnats to make up for it.

Well, Boone DOES have a few real dentists. Unlike the ones in Statesboro, actual dentists aren't located on the hammer & nail aisle at the True Value hardware store.

Kill'em
December 9th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Will he keep the option?
I would guess yes because the fans like it and recent recruits were brought in to run it.
He is not giving up too much information, but the Atlanta Journal Constitution did quote him saying "I have some definite feelings about offense. The option will be a part of it. I don't know that it will be what its been in the eyes of Georgia Southern. It will exist, but we are going to be a little bit more multiple in what we do.

I don't know what to think about this.

ButlerGSU
December 9th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I've always thought we should keep the Option but pass more to keep D's honest. I'm excited about next season. Georgia Southern needs some work on D and I think he will give it to us.

blukeys
December 9th, 2005, 08:33 PM
He is not giving up too much information, but the Atlanta Journal Constitution did quote him saying "I have some definite feelings about offense. The option will be a part of it. I don't know that it will be what its been in the eyes of Georgia Southern. It will exist, but we are going to be a little bit more multiple in what we do.

I don't know what to think about this.

Spread Option Here We come!!!

MarkCCU
December 9th, 2005, 08:41 PM
I give him 4 good seasons...i mean c'mon. Best of luck to the man, I hope he does the job well.

Kill'em
December 9th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Spread Option Here We come!!!
We run the spread option, unless you refer to Urban Meyer's version.
For what it's worth, we called ours the spread option a lot longer than he did :smiley_wi

GaSouthern
December 9th, 2005, 11:21 PM

just what the doctor orderd!!! xprost2x

EagleMike22
December 10th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Don't want to start any rumors. but has any of the gsu faithful heard about the possibility of van gorder bringing on uga qb coach mike bobo as oc? just heard about this possibility form a reliable source (the same one that told me about the hiring of van gorder thursday afternoon before any announcement)

claydus
December 10th, 2005, 03:35 AM
This guy won't stay long. I guarantee it. Sam Baker and the Boosters will find a way to run him out of town after 2 seasons. He'll just resign after the 2 season and let an assistamt take over while he takes a Div IA HC position. Freaking stepping stone

Oh how I wish PJ could make a return.... really how do coaches spend a salary like PJ has??

jwfgeol
December 14th, 2005, 01:50 PM
GSU just got some love on sports talk here in Knoxville. They were interviewing Mike Huguenin of the Orlando-Sentinel about coaching hires and he talked about how the Georgia Southern job was alot better job than many I-A positions. He eluded to saying that it's better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond.

Kill'em
December 14th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Glad we're getting positive exposure outside of Georgia. I don't see BvG going anywhere, if he's successful (meaning at least 1 N.C.) he'll still be in Statesboro for a while. Remember how much money he is making at GSU. This is more that a lot of I-A coaches make.

Eagle_77
December 14th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Kill'em,
Has there been anything offical as to what he is being paid and if so what is it? Is it base salary or possible salary with the incentives?

Kill'em
December 14th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Kill'em,
Has there been anything offical as to what he is being paid and if so what is it? Is it base salary or possible salary with the incentives?
Check your p.m. inbox.

Saint3333
December 14th, 2005, 08:45 PM

Yeah I hear Sam Baker has vision...tunnel :rolleyes:

Nice signature, Hater.

Cat79
December 14th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Congrats to the Georgia Southern fans on the new coach. We hope to play you guys again.

Go Cats!! Go Texas State!!

Kill'em
December 14th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Me too, maybe next time will be at "Our House."

GaSouthern
December 15th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Me too, maybe next time will be at "Our House."

in front of 22K+ screaming fans in the semi's!

GSU1-A
December 17th, 2005, 01:13 AM
My brother is a UGA graduate and was the one who immediately called to tell me who our (GSU) new coach was. First thing he said was "You lucky sob". I was at GSU for the 89 and 90 championships - what a great feeling!!! I hope he brings us back to the gameplan of building up our program and playing more 1-a teams. Actually, if we ever go 1-A I think we should start a new conference- Furman, App State, Ga Southern, Montana, Delaware, UNI, New Hampshire. I can Guarantee this conference would beat up on the Big East, C-USA, MAC, and any other so called "mid-major" division 1-a football! (I'm just naming the ones I think would always give one heck of a show!- Youngstown State too for thier past glory)

Anyway, GO EAGLES and the congrats Appy- I guess GSU and Furman can welcome you to the Southern Champions Club.. AHAHAH. ;)

Kill'em
December 17th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Posting on a I-AA website with I-A in your name. :nonono2:

Kill'em
December 17th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I'm sorry, welcome to the board :)

JohnStOnge
December 17th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Actually, if we ever go 1-A I think we should start a new conference- Furman, App State, Ga Southern, Montana, Delaware, UNI, New Hampshire. I can Guarantee this conference would beat up on the Big East, C-USA, MAC, and any other so called "mid-major" division 1-a football! (I'm just naming the ones I think would always give one heck of a show!- Youngstown State too for thier past glory)

;)

I hope you're not serious about the geographical distribution of that conference.

Also, I don't think it's a given that a conference of former I-AA powers is going to be real good in I-A. That's mostly what the Sun Belt is. True...the Sun Belt teams didn't enjoy the level of success of the programs named but Arkansas State, Troy, North Texas, ULM, and Florida Atlantic were all solid, playoff caliber I-AA programs. Middle Tennessee had some glory years in I-AA as well. All but North Texas made it to the I-AA semis at least once.

Kill'em
December 17th, 2005, 09:26 AM
It would make for a competitive conference, however, the road schedule would kill Monatana. Talk about frequent-flyer miles.