PDA

View Full Version : Attn: McNeese State Fans

AshevilleApp2
August 17th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Any of ya'll coming to Boone on the 12th of September? It would be good to meet for a couple of pre or post game refreshments.

BobcatJH
August 17th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I do not think you will want to share a post game refreshment after they beat you guys by 3 touchdowns.

McNeeserocket
August 17th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Any of ya'll coming to Boone on the 12th of September? It would be good to meet for a couple of pre or post game refreshments.

I expect McNeese to bring no less than 100 fans, and I would not be surprised to see 500 MSU fans. The only thing that might impact that number would be if a hurricane is impacting Louisiana or North Carolina. Although, last year Hurricane Gustav was threatening Louisiana (and made good on her threat) around the time for McNeese to travel to North Carolina to play the Tar Heels. I and several hundred others made that trip inspite of the Hurricane threat in Southern Louisiana. Many of us were stranded trying to get home after that game, as the airports were closed all across Southern Louisiana. Those of us who made it back on Sunday night had to drive from Houston to Lake Charles and points east against an evacution order for our home towns. We were only allowed to enter Southern Louisana if we had airline tickets proving we were arriving home from the North Carolina game.

I and a good friend will be traveling to the game and will arrive Thursday evening in Charlotte before traveling to Boone on Friday. I expect most McNeese fans to arrive on Friday and leave on Sunday or Monday. I look forward to meeting any and all friendly Appst. fans!

MSU_77
August 17th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I'll be there! Arrive on Friday and leave on Sunday. There should be several hundred McNeese fans there.

GeauxColonels
August 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Ahhh, this is killing me. I have to fly into Charlotte on SUNDAY the 13th for a conference in Asheville. Typically these conferences are Thursday and Friday with Saturday as a free day. That would have been PERFECT for me. But this one is Sunday through Wednesday. I really wish I could have gone to this game.

jonmac
August 17th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Ahhh, this is killing me. I have to fly into Charlotte on SUNDAY the 13th for a conference in Asheville. Typically these conferences are Thursday and Friday with Saturday as a free day. That would have been PERFECT for me. But this one is Sunday through Wednesday. I really wish I could have gone to this game.

Hey, just fly in day earlier, early Saturday morning.

McNeese75
August 17th, 2009, 11:34 AM
4 of us will be driving in Saturday morning from Little Switzerland so let us know where to go for those refreshments xnodx

AshevilleApp2
August 17th, 2009, 11:41 AM
4 of us will be driving in Saturday morning from Little Switzerland so let us know where to go for those refreshments xnodx

I'll be driving in Saturday myself from Galax Virginia, a nice way to wrap up a vacation. I'll be staying at a Best Western in Boone and walking to the game. We can 1) meet where ya'll will park, 2) meet where some ASU AGS'ers will be tailgating or 3) meet at a bar.

All options are fine with me.

McNeese75
August 17th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I'll be driving in Saturday myself from Galax Virginia, a nice way to wrap up a vacation. I'll be staying at a Best Western in Boone and walking to the game. We can 1) meet where ya'll will park, 2) meet where some ASU AGS'ers will be tailgating or 3) meet at a bar.

All options are fine with me.

We are probably going to need some help here as I have no idea where we can or will park, where the ASU AGS'ers will be or the name of the bars of choice so any additional info that ASU fans can provide will be appreciated by all. :)

AshevilleApp2
August 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
We are probably going to need some help here as I have no idea where we can or will park, where the ASU AGS'ers will be or the name of the bars of choice so any additional info that ASU fans can provide will be appreciated by all. :)

ASU AGS'ers, please step up as far as tailgating spots.

As far as bars go there are a few on King Street, the main street downtown, that I tend to hit before games. Murphy's, Boone Saloon and Macadoos come to mind. There are probably many others, but those are between the stadium and where I usually park.

biggie
August 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Best General parking for tailgating is probably where we park. On the corner of Rivers and Waters Streets, gravel parking lot, $10 (maybe $15) to park. Black Cat/Murphy's/etc just a few steps away, though we mostly stick with parking lot beverages.

There are other places (like church parking lots, etc), but not sure how much tailgating goes on at those.

On a big game/1st home game like this most lots will fill up by 11am to Noon. Some will starting pulling in a 8-9am.

AshevilleApp2
August 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Best General parking for tailgating is probably where we park. On the corner of Rivers and Waters Streets, gravel parking lot, $10 (maybe $15) to park. Black Cat/Murphy's/etc just a few steps away, though we mostly stick with parking lot beverages.

There are other places (like church parking lots, etc), but not sure how much tailgating goes on at those.

On a big game/1st home game like this most lots will fill up by 11am to Noon. Some will starting pulling in a 8-9am.

Thanks. I usually take the cheap way and park in a top secret free space I found a couple of years back. It's not really conducive to tailgating though, due to it's proximity to the Sheriffs Department. :)

Apps03
August 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
ASU AGS'ers, please step up as far as tailgating spots.

As far as bars go there are a few on King Street, the main street downtown, that I tend to hit before games. Murphy's, Boone Saloon and Macadoos come to mind. There are probably many others, but those are between the stadium and where I usually park.

Durham Park (gazebo by the tennis courts) is our tailgating spot. Hill St. lot is close to that, although I don't know if that is open parking or not. We have about 25-30 and would love to have any Cowboy fans that want to stop by. We realize that some visiting fans may not have the best interaction with some of our fans so we usually try to go over the top with our hospitality to hopefully help compensate.

crossfire07
August 17th, 2009, 12:55 PM
My grandson and I are flying into Charlotte Thursday, driving to Boone and leaving Sunday. We have been looking forward to this trip / game for awhile now. We will be there early and hit some of these tailgating spots.

FormerPokeCenter
August 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'm flying to Charlotte on Friday, heading to Boone and flying out late Sunday...

Any suggestions on restaurants after the game and maybe a bar where a 40-something guy could drag a date around the dancefloor without looking too outta place?

AppStsGr8
August 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
We're in the stadium lot right in front of Frank & Belk dorms. For any of you who prefer a no-alcohol tailgate, let me know. We'll be glad to throw in some Cokes for you. Our tailgate crew is mostly App students who were in our church youth group and ranges from 10-40 on any particular game day.

GeauxColonels
August 17th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hey, just fly in day earlier, early Saturday morning.
I'd love to, but since it's a work trip, my hands are tied.

crossfire07
August 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
is that "stadium lot" reserved parking?

mountaineertider
August 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
those dorms are on what street?

Those dorms are at the back of the "Stadium Parking Lot", farthest away from the stadium. Frank is in the back corner of the lot. (and Belk usually has some good lookin ladies come out of it [it's an all female dorm])

appirishmen
August 17th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I'm flying to Charlotte on Friday, heading to Boone and flying out late Sunday...

Any suggestions on restaurants after the game and maybe a bar where a 40-something guy could drag a date around the dancefloor without looking too outta place?

for restaurants.....you could try pepers. its in the shopping center off 321 across from the car dealership. there is usually a wait after games though. there are a few places in blowing rock, but i usually go to pepers. for tailgating...im not sure what there is for away fans..but i know that the student lots always fill up by 830/9 on the first game and the stadium lot is reserved. if can get to park on rivers st.....that is where the best tailgating is....but you have to get there real early. there might be some spots in greenwood lot....but with the new stadium they might have changed that. you can just walk around and im sure there will be many fans that will talk to you. most are nice and friendly.

PantherRob82
August 17th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I do not think you will want to share a post game refreshment after they beat you guys by 3 touchdowns.

That's quite the leap....xnonono2x

ASU_MBA
August 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM
You can also park behind the Broyhill Inn near the baseball field for free....it is a 10-15 minute walk through the woods to the stadium but a good and free place to tailgate....usually a lot of visitors park there...TJ Courman's family used to put out a big spread for the fans in the area....too bad he graduated. I have season tix but not a Yosef member so I usually park up there, I am young and don't mind the walk. Any Cowboy fans are welcome to come by....probably going to do an oyster roast and drink some beer starting at 11am.

SideLine Shooter
August 17th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Good luck on the restaurant unless you leave the game at halftime. After the game it will be at least an hour wait. Usually 1.5 hour wait.

AppStsGr8
August 17th, 2009, 08:19 PM
is that "stadium lot" reserved parking?

Yes. The stadium lot is some of the Yosef parking. It's great since it's, as you might expect, right by the stadium.

If you enjoy walking, Broyhill Inn is a good option. The problem is that there's no such thing as flat in Boone. You can also park at one of the lots farther away and Appalcart (town bus) or walk to the stadium.

We'll make sure you're well hydrated and rested for the short walk from the bottom of the stadium lot to the top for the game.

McNeese75
August 17th, 2009, 10:05 PM
for restaurants.....you could try pepers. its in the shopping center off 321 across from the car dealership. there is usually a wait after games though. there are a few places in blowing rock, but i usually go to pepers. for tailgating...im not sure what there is for away fans..but i know that the student lots always fill up by 830/9 on the first game and the stadium lot is reserved. if can get to park on rivers st.....that is where the best tailgating is....but you have to get there real early. there might be some spots in greenwood lot....but with the new stadium they might have changed that. you can just walk around and im sure there will be many fans that will talk to you. most are nice and friendly.

xrolleyesx I am sure we will be fine walking around. We survived our vists to Paulson and The Tub xlolx

PantherRob82
August 17th, 2009, 10:07 PM
xrolleyesx I am sure we will be fine walking around. We survived our vists to Paulson and The Tub xlolx

you've never met (bad)App fan, have you? ..............xwhistlex

McNeese75
August 18th, 2009, 12:26 AM

I'm sure I've seen worse xeyebrowx

neersnbeers
August 18th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Swing by River's St.. Jacked up Black Chevy Duramax with lots of flags flying, beef brisket and plenty of brews.

KiddBrewer
August 18th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Ill be doing my tailgating that day in the Raley Lot, but i will be down for walking around if yall decide on a good place to meet. I enjoy meeting fellow AGS'ers!

Just reading through the thread......a couple good resturants you could try to get into (with some wait, ofcourse) after the game are Mountain House and Bandana's. Mountain House is on 321 in Boone. It will be on your right as you enter Boone, probably a mile or a little less past the "BOONE" sign (yea the one that says Home of Appalachian State BACK TO BACK TO BACK national champions :) ). Bandana's is up 105. You will turn left at the Wendy's if you are coming from Charlotte (right if you are leaving the game). Mountain House has good southern food. Bandana's is a BBQ joint with pretty good chicken tenders i must say.

As for a bar to wet your whistle at pre/post game. Both times, all will most likely be packed out. If you are on the younger side, I would recommend Macado's (on King Street, Hwy 421, in Downtown Boone....go to the end of 321 if youre coming from Charlotte and turn left, then look on your left) It is not really a bar per say, more of a resturant where people go to get trashed. If youre looking for some strange (aka college girls/babes/women) you can check out the row of bars that will be on your right as you enter from charlotte on 321, across the street from the basketball arena and school. Im positive they will have some kinda "party" at all three there that night to make sure the strange, and guys alike, act like fools. you will however have to deal with a handful of douchebags, but that goes without saying.

If you are on the older side and dont really feel like dealing with idiots after the game, you can check out Peppers, like someone else said, or Portofinos. Both are relatively laid back places were people go to drink and hang out. Shouldnt have too much trouble there.

Links/Directions

Portofino's
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&resnum=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=portofino's+boone&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&cid=0,0,12996885223038284443&ei=9U6KSuPYJ9LjlAfz0Yk4&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1

Macado's (GO BY THE ADDRESS, NOT THE "A")
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Macado's%20Boone&fb=1&split=1&resnum=1&sa=N&tab=vl

Mountain House
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Mountain%20House%20Boone&fb=1&split=1&resnum=1&sa=N&tab=vl

Bandana's
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&q=Bandanas%20Boone&fb=1&split=1&resnum=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il&start=0

Klondike/Parthanon/Flip Side (where you will find the women)
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&q=Klondike%20Cafe%20Boone&fb=1&split=1&resnum=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=vl

p.s. if youre comin up hwy. 421 to boone, let me know and ill give you directions from that way.

look forward to meeting yall!

KiddBrewer
August 18th, 2009, 02:08 AM
as for parking.....bring your boxing gloves and be ready for a fight!xnodx:D

you can go to http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&q=36.219764%2C%20-81.692501&fb=1&split=1&resnum=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I dont know the name of the building, but they have a shuttle that comes by all the time, like every 10 minutes on football game days that will take you to the campus! and its free, but youll probably need to get there kinda early.

hope that helps somebody.

AshevilleApp2
August 18th, 2009, 06:29 AM

Go take a knee! xlolx

AshevilleApp2
August 18th, 2009, 06:30 AM

We all have class and dignity. :p

AshevilleApp2
August 18th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Peppers is a good choice. And a friend of mine manages it, so I'll plug it shamelessly.

The Mellow Mushroom has pretty good pizza and is located on Rivers Street. So it's convenient to where most of the tailgating will be happening.

Another restaurant not mentioned yet is the Daniel Boone Inn. It used to have good food and plenty of it. They serve family style. It's near the intersection of 321/421 (King Street).
http://www.danlbooneinn.com/

McNeese75
August 18th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Go take a knee! xlolx

xlolx

Touchdown Yosef
August 18th, 2009, 09:11 AM
If you are looking for parking get there early and you can find a spot. I always like the lot on the corner of river st. and water st. There are also several pay lots on Howard St. I think Harmon lot off King St. will also have spots. All cost money of course. I would also say look for a spot on the side of River st. but I think they changed the rules this year and students and can leave their cars in these spots overnight which will make sure they are all full before Saturday morning. The parking lot at Hardee's also sells spots and its at least a flat walk each way. There are also a few spots in the morning at Stick Boy Bread Co. and I believe Earth Fare.

It all depends on how early you get there. There are spots if you can beat the students out of bed and get there before the out of towners like me get there. I park in Raley now but before that I did a big loop looking for spots starting on howard st, then going down to water st. coming back on river st.

Good luck, feel free to PM me closer to game time and I will be happy to send you directions but most of the businesses mentioned can be found on Google maps and familiarizing your self with town (it won't take much) will go a long way.

BobcatJH
August 18th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Go take a knee! xlolx

Now that is some great smack!!
:D

Obviously, I was not serious about the 3 touchdown spread, but I do think McNeese has a realistic chance of winning this game. Does anyone remember how close they played UNC last year????

AshevilleApp2
August 18th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Obviously, I was not serious about the 3 touchdown spread, but I do think McNeese has a realistic chance of winning this game. Does anyone remember how close they played UNC last year????

There's no question that they can give us a game. I expect one.

McNeese72
August 18th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Yeah, and I wish we had some of those offensive linemen and defensive lineman back from last season. Also, having Quinten Lawrence and Steven Whitehead back would be nice, also.

But this is a different season and a different team. We will just have to see how the young guys step up.

Doc

P.S. Damn, looking at the first scrimmage, we have some good freshmen running backs. And one of them broke McNeese's 40 yard record held by Quinten Lawrence.

McNeese First Scrimmage Pictures (http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/fs8152009.asp)

FormerPokeCenter
August 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Asheville App, LOL...that's a great line ;) Even if my SLC brother was trying to talk up my Cowboys. I don't care who you are, that right there was funny!

Doc, is it the Wiltz kid, or the kid from North DeSoto who broke Lawrence's 40-yard dash record? That's freakin scary....

If you guys saw the McNeese/North Carolina game, Quentin Lawrence was the guy who took the punt 70-yards to the house easily outsprinting NC's punt team...

biggie
August 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Since we are getting into the teams, you mention McNeese's one (or 2) players with tremendous speed. Is the Def or Off based on speed or what scheme? I know mostly ours is.

FormerPokeCenter
August 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM
We've got an awful lot of question marks. We run a spread offense and a 4-2-5 base defense and get out of that occasionally...

We lost virtually our entire offensive line, Stephen Whitehead, an 4.3 All-American receiver/kick returner and Quinten Lawrence, who had 4.2 speed, to an injury just four games into the year. Whitehead is a free agent for the Saints, while Lawrence was drafted, despite the injury, by the Chiefs.

We've got kid at QB, Derrick Fourroux, who runs our scheme very well and the SLC offensive player of the year at tailback, Todd Pendland, who gained 1400 yards last year. Other than those two, we've got major question marks. Whitehead and Lawrence were our top two receivers...

We've got some steady role players back, but I don't know if we'll be able to effectively replace the production we got out of SW and QL...Our Tight End, Wes Mangum, has good size, speed and hands....He's a steady performer....The returning receivers we have a steady guys, but I don't know that we'll have the flash and blistering speed we had before...

On defense, we were porous last year, and only have four starters back...Wev'e got some depth issues at linebacker, with our two best currently out nursing injuries that may or may not be resolved before the season starts....In the secondary, we lost Marcus and Darrick Brown, who are both in NFL training camps. We've got some guys we think might end up being pretty decent, but most long-time Cowboy observers think this is a rebuilding year...

It's all going to depend on how our young kids and a few transfers step up....

I don't think we're anywhere near as good as our preseason ranking..We're picked to finish fourth in our conference....

I just hope we're competitive in this game....

McNeese75
August 18th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Since we are getting into the teams, you mention McNeese's one (or 2) players with tremendous speed. Is the Def or Off based on speed or what scheme? I know mostly ours is.

As a general rule McNeese does recruit speed so the overall team speed should be pretty good. But, as mentioned before, there are a lot of unknowns coming into this season.

McNeese72
August 18th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Asheville App, LOL...that's a great line ;) Even if my SLC brother was trying to talk up my Cowboys. I don't care who you are, that right there was funny!

Doc, is it the Wiltz kid, or the kid from North DeSoto who broke Lawrence's 40-yard dash record? That's freakin scary....

If you guys saw the McNeese/North Carolina game, Quentin Lawrence was the guy who took the punt 70-yards to the house easily outsprinting NC's punt team...

Nope, it was the Jarvaris Murray, the true freshman, I think, from North Desoto High School. Both the other two freshman RB's, Marcus Wiltz and Champlain Babin, looked pretty fast two. We no longer have a depth problem at TB. Pendland didn't play much in the scrimmage and the number two, Elrick Jones was held out because he was dinged up. The freshman Rb's took over and looked impressive. Murray had 88 yards on 8 carries, Babin had 61 yards on 7 carries, and Wiltz had 39 yards on 10 carries.

The rumor I heard was Murray ran a 4.3 breaking Q's record of 4.31 but I could be wrong with the numbers.

Doc

AppMan
August 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Here are some links to sites that will be helpful to your trip to boone and ASU. Stop by the Justice Lot spaces 1 & 2 and say introduce yourselves. No alcoholic beverages at our tailgate, but plenty of good sweet tea, soft drinks, H2O and food. If you get to town early enough (10 AM) you can probably park at Hardees or across the street at the old Library resturant for a fee and walk about a 1/2 mile to the stadium.

http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/tailgateattherock/index.html

http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/tailgateattherock/tailgatezones.html#C

For lodging and places to eat:

http://visitboonenc.com/lodging.htm

http://visitboonenc.com/chamber-portal.htm?display=Area%20Restaurants&category=54

My preferences: Breakfast - Mountain House, Steak - The Peddler, Japanese - Makoto's, Seafood - Mike's Inland Seafood (off 421 on Jefferson Road turn at Hardee's) - close second is Port Christopher's (on 321 near The Peddler), Italian - Pssghetti's in Blowing Rock, Deli type sandwich - Peppers, Mellow Mushroom or Macado's, BBQ - Woodlands in Blowing Rock, Ribs - Bandana's on Hwy 105, Wings - Beef O Brady's in Wal Mart Shp Ctr, Sports Bar - Geno's (a lot of smoking goes on there), Mexican - Los Arcoiris, Burgers - old fashion Sonny's in downtown Blowing Rock been in business over 30 years small place - quickie Back Yard Burgers on 321. If you are headed out 321 there are a ton of good resturants in Blowing Rock including Outback, Sledgehammer Charlie's, and one of my favorites Knight's On Main.

It goes without saying, no visit to Boone is complete without a visit to the Daniel Boone Inn. But get there early!

http://www.danlbooneinn.com/

Hope you enjoy your visit and drive safely!

james_lawfirm
August 18th, 2009, 09:05 PM

Not sure about a music bar, others may be more help there. But Makoto's Japanese Steakhouse has been a post-game tradition for my family for the last 15 years & I've been a regular there since grad-school in '83.

As for looking too outta place - you might try Canyon's Rest. in Blowing Rock. But, leave the cowboy boots & hat at home. Although you may see an occasional pair of boots around Boone, they're rare. You'll more likely see hiking boots. I understand that when Coach Moore moved up here from Texas, he let 12 expensive pair of boots just sit in his closet because he wanted to blend in. I've NEVER seen him in a pair of boots.

If you're up in the Greenwood lot (the one ABOVE the stadium), come see us. Love to treat y'all to a beer & whatever we're grilling. We'll be in the Black & Gold!

IS IT KICKOFF TIME YET???

james_lawfirm
August 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
You can also park behind the Broyhill Inn near the baseball field for free....it is a 10-15 minute walk through the woods to the stadium but a good and free place to tailgate....usually a lot of visitors park there...TJ Courman's family used to put out a big spread for the fans in the area....too bad he graduated. I have season tix but not a Yosef member so I usually park up there, I am young and don't mind the walk. Any Cowboy fans are welcome to come by....probably going to do an oyster roast and drink some beer starting at 11am.

MBA:
If you're strolling through Greenwood lot, drop by. My space is something like 274. Love to treat a peer to a beer & whatever's on the grill. (My MBA's from '85.)

james_lawfirm
August 18th, 2009, 09:10 PM

FTR, Kidd Brewer is MUCH friendlier than Paulson. Although, perhaps not for GaSo fans & players.

msupokes1
August 18th, 2009, 09:23 PM
In the secondary, we lost Marcus and Darrick Brown, who are both in NFL training camps.

We're picked to finish fourth in our conference....

Marcus and Darrick Brown graduated two years ago and were not on the team last year as Marcus was playing for the cardinals and Darrick for the Raiders.

We were picked to finish second in the conference not fourth.

McNeese75
August 18th, 2009, 10:05 PM
FTR, Kidd Brewer is MUCH friendlier than Paulson. Although, perhaps not for GaSo fans & players.

xlolx We actually had a really nice experience at Paulson (but we are not conference opponents and were not wearing Gold and Black of course). We were headed to the game from Savanna in 2005 and I was telling the wife of a friend that we might run into a few over zealous Eagle fans or D%$kheads as I referred to the possible individuals. When we drove through the parking lot there were a few students that started walking up to the car and hollering and she looked at me and and said "D%$kheads?" and I just laughed. We drove on and met the Eagle fans we had befriended in Lake Charles two years earlier and as I said the experience was very nice.

ASU_MBA
August 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
MBA:
If you're strolling through Greenwood lot, drop by. My space is something like 274. Love to treat a peer to a beer & whatever's on the grill. (My MBA's from '85.)

Thanks I will do that....My MBA is '03...I would love to say hello and meet a fellow grad.

feb18blacksunday
August 18th, 2009, 10:44 PM

When did ya'll move outta Justice lot?

Aho_Old_Guy
August 19th, 2009, 07:33 AM
In B-Rock check out Canyons (http://www.canyonsbr.com/viewcam.html) for the view and Woodlands (http://www.woodlandsbbq.com/) for the Burritalotta and cold beer.

FormerPokeCenter
August 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM
msupokes1 writes

<<Marcus and Darrick Brown graduated two years ago and were not on the team last year as Marcus was playing for the cardinals and Darrick for the Raiders.

We were picked to finish second in the conference not fourth. >>

Good point about the Brown brothers. Last year was a blur for me because I was dispatched to work on Gustav and Ike and only saw a couple of games. I appreciate the gentle correction. As to the pre-season picks, there are a wide range of picks from a wide range of sources, none of which have us at the top of the heap.

The bigger point is that since we weren't picked to win the conference, we shouldn't really be where we're at in the national polls...

Too many questions in too many places to have this sort of optimism this early wihtout having proven anything...

Moreover, I'm from the Doc school of preseason postings ;) I just hope we can keep it competitive.

DX Man
August 19th, 2009, 10:31 AM

Of course they have a chance. The reason they were invited is because they are a quality program.xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
August 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM
When did ya'll move outta Justice lot?

We were in Justice (Lower) Lot in 2007; in 2008, we were in Raley; & this year we got moved to Greenwood. So, we've been all over.

Not sure we'll like Greenwood. But, it's expensive to park in the Stadium Lot. If we don't like Greenwood, we may just bite the bullet next year & shoot for the Stadium Lot. We'll see.

AppStsGr8
August 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM
We were in Justice (Lower) Lot in 2007; in 2008, we were in Raley; & this year we got moved to Greenwood. So, we've been all over.

Not sure we'll like Greenwood. But, it's expensive to park in the Stadium Lot. If we don't like Greenwood, we may just bite the bullet next year & shoot for the Stadium Lot. We'll see.

Yep, stadium lot is expensive and well worth the cost IMO. We've been fortunate to be in the stadium lot each year and APPsolutely love it. If you're at all able to swing the increased Yosef donation, both you and Yosef will be glad you did.

McTailGator
August 19th, 2009, 07:14 PM

No doubt the Defense is a speed based unit.

5 DB's that can fly and hit, and some linemen that are smallesh and built for speed rushing and pluging holes to stop the run.

The 2 LB's are runners and one of the 5 DB's will play close and almost look like a 3rd LB.

I think you will see a LOT of speed on both sides of the ball with ANY McNeese team.

BUT, they are YOUNG...

McTailGator
August 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I'm flying into Atlanta from London on the Wednesday before the game for a meeting with one of my contractors there on Thursday. I will be driving up on Friday afternoon.

feb18blacksunday
August 19th, 2009, 08:22 PM

I think you'll like Greenwood, we'll be in stadium lot in front of Winkler with the Peppers gang.

feb18blacksunday
August 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=AshevilleApp2;1385409]Peppers is a good choice. And a friend of mine manages it, so I'll plug it shamelessly.

Thanks for the plug.We'll be in stadium lot in front of Winkler with the Peppers gang. Come on by.

appsfan
August 19th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'll be in my space in Duncan #132 by 10am and Cowboy fans are welcome to stop by for some pre-game conversation and an adult beverage. As far as after gaem food, other places in Boone not mentioned that I like is Casa Rustica (Italian Food on Hwy 105) and Red Onion. Over in Blowing Rock, Twigs is a good place ( a bit upscale and they have a decent bar too for 40 somethings...) I am looking forward to a good game.xthumbsupx

KiddBrewer
August 19th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I'll be in my space in Duncan #132 by 10am and Cowboy fans are welcome to stop by for some pre-game conversation and an adult beverage. As far as after gaem food, other places in Boone not mentioned that I like is Casa Rustica (Italian Food on Hwy 105) and Red Onion. Over in Blowing Rock, Twigs is a good place ( a bit upscale and they have a decent bar too for 40 somethings...) I am looking forward to a good game.xthumbsupx

your post made me think to mention "Canyon's" in Blowing Rock, if it hasnt been mentioned already!

This is a nice laid back place about 15 minutes out of Boone back toward Charlotte. It will be on your right as you leave. Great Views, Good Food, and possibly a live band...

BEAR
August 19th, 2009, 09:25 PM
xeekxxeekx Wow all that food, fun and football is making me wish APP would invite the Bears for a game! I need a vacation anyway! xlolx

McNeese75
August 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
xeekxxeekx Wow all that food, fun and football is making me wish APP would invite the Bears for a game! I need a vacation anyway! xlolx

xrolleyesx What about the Luau in Hawaii you should be going to :D

SideLine Shooter
August 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Leave the Bears at home and come to Boone for a good old SOCON Rumble. It would probably be more fun anyway. There is always a good party on game days.xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxnodx

BEAR
August 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Leave the Bears at home and come to Boone for a good old SOCON Rumble. It would probably be more fun anyway. There is always a good party on game days.xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxnodx

My ears are bleeding....you have no idea how offensive that was! xeekx xlolx

What about the Luau in Hawaii you should be going to

It's all about the jack...and I don't have it. xbawlingx

FormerPokeCenter
August 20th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions....I hope you guys can indulge me with one more question...

Since the outdoorsy stuff is great around Boone, are there any hiking trails near campus that an out of towner can get to and explore early Saturday morning and still make it back to campus for tailgating and the game?

Also are there any river outfitters nearby that might rent a canoe or kayak for a couple of hours?

Thanks in advance for the help ;)

AtlantaMountaineer
August 20th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I'm flying into Atlanta from London on the Wednesday before the game for a meeting with one of my contractors there on Thursday. I will be driving up on Friday afternoon.

Make sure you get out of Atlanta before 3PM on Friday afternoon or you will had another hour on to your trip. I will be driving up from Atlanta myself for the game though no definite plans yet.

AshevilleApp2
August 20th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions....I hope you guys can indulge me with one more question...

Since the outdoorsy stuff is great around Boone, are there any hiking trails near campus that an out of towner can get to and explore early Saturday morning and still make it back to campus for tailgating and the game?

Also are there any river outfitters nearby that might rent a canoe or kayak for a couple of hours?

Depending how far you want to travel there are several options. The profile trail at Grandfather Mountain is fairly strenuous and costs money. Grandfather is also 15 or so miles from Boone.

A bit closer to Boone you can find several options for hiking at Moses Cone Park on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

http://www.brptrails.com/brp2940.htm

There is (or was) an outfitter called Wahoos Whitewater Rafting that may rent you a canoe or kayak. I don't know for sure though.

Another option for boat rentals is at Price Lake, which is also on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Moses Cone Park.

http://foreverlodging.com/foreverinfo.cfm?PropertyKey=74&ContentKey=2416

To get to the Parkway take Highway 321 (Blowing Rock Road in Boone) South towards Blowing Rock. The Parkway entrance is probably 5-6 miles down 321. Go south on the Parkway to access the places I've suggested.

Skjellyfetti
August 20th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Here are a couple of my favorite hikes.

Rough Ridge is on the Blue Ridge Parkway at mile marker 302.

On a clear day it has a spectacular view:
http://blueridgeblog.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341c831253ef00e553c38ee98834-800wi

Here's a map of the parkway and the surrounding area:
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/map4.htm

Another option is Hebron Rock Colony. This will take you to the headwaters of the Watauga River. There are lots of huge boulders, waterfalls, etc. Fun place to explore.

To get to Hebron Rock Colony, take Highway 105 south from Boone. Turn left at the Hound Ears Club on Old Shulls Mill Road. This road has several roadside swimming holes that you can stop at if you wish. Old Shulls Mill Road turns left, but continue to follow it until you pass a church on your left. Turn right on Old Turnpike Road, which is gravel. Continue until you reach a sharp turn to the right; this is where you'll park. There might be a few cars there to help in locating it. The trail leading to Hebron Rock Colony is on the right side of the road. It is on a steep, downward sloping hill, and coming back up will be strenuous for some. There isn't too much to see along the way, but the hike is definitely worth it.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1768502/hebron_rock_colony_near_boone_north.html?cat=16

Very pretty place:
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS330US330&q=hebron+rock+colony&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=yVqNSrGTHpG6NYCzobkK&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

And, like AshevilleApp said, I think Wahoo's Adventures and Price Lake would be your best bet as far as renting a kayak or canoe. Here's the link for Wahoo's Adventures:

http://www.wahoosadventures.com/wa/

FormerPokeCenter
August 20th, 2009, 10:12 AM
You guys are incredibly helpful.

With info like that, who needs a travel agent? This is the kinda stuff that makes FCS what it is..... Thanks.... I just hope your Mountaineers treat my Pokes that kindly on September 12th ;)

Touchdown Yosef
August 20th, 2009, 10:25 AM

I'd make the trip out to Linville Gorge if you have the time and don't mind a strenuous hike. Take in the falls like all the tourists and then Wiseman's view and then hike down the Babel Tower trail. It is a truly amazing place and some great hiking all through the gorge. Its about 30-40 mins from Boone.

Short hikes along the parkway are great as well. I also like Rough Ridge and hiking at Grandfather is always fun. Cascade falls in another good one right off the parkway. You really can't go wrong.

As far as rivers Wahoos is great and they can set you up. You may want to give them a call before you come. They can take you any number of places like the New River over in Ashe County or Wilson's creek.

If you do go do some hiking I recommend stopping at the Ham Shoppe and packing their sandwiches for lunch.

jonmac
August 20th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I will 2nd the Rough Ridge overlook trail. Fairly easy hike and lots of rocks to have fun on at the top and the view, as seen in jelly's post, is awesome.

msupokes1
August 20th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I really wanted to make the trip but I am heading to Canada the next week for a duck and goose hunt so my wife told me I had to choose. So instead I will be teal hunting in the morning here in Houston and BBQing and watching the game on TV as the Fox station in Lake Charles will be airing the game.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Boone Fork Trail (http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/nc/trail_187.php)

A good 'flatlander' trail - only a couple miles long xeyebrowx

Okay xlolx it's about 5 miles 'easy to moderate'. You could jog it in less than an hour if that's yer thang.

It's also easy access off the BRP. From Boone go south on Blowing Rock Road (Hwy 321 - the 'main drag') about 6 miles. Turn right (South) - then turn left -did I mention SOUTH ? - on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Go 8 miles or so and Price Park will be on your right. Can't miss it. (Unless you go north on the Parkway - LOL.) It's easy to find the trail head at the 'comfort station'

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/Back_at_the_Ranch/Appalachian/Price_Park.jpg

james_lawfirm
August 20th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I really wanted to make the trip but I am heading to Canada the next week for a duck and goose hunt so my wife told me I had to choose. So instead I will be teal hunting in the morning here in Houston and BBQing and watching the game on TV as the Fox station in Lake Charles will be airing the game.

You choose hunting over FOOTBALL??? Are you nuts?

Do you ever go snipe hunting down there in La.?

McNeese75
August 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
You choose hunting over FOOTBALL??? Are you nuts?

Do you ever go snipe hunting down there in La.?

Not sure what kind of snipe hunting you are talking about but down here we really do have snipe :D

http://www.brimfieldfcc.org/images/snipe.jpg

Now I grew up hunting snipe with a burlap bag so you can imagine my suspicion when I was asked to go when I first moved here xconfusedx xlolx

james_lawfirm
August 21st, 2009, 09:05 AM
Not sure what kind of snipe hunting you are talking about but down here we really do have snipe :D

http://www.brimfieldfcc.org/images/snipe.jpg

Now I grew up hunting snipe with a burlap bag so you can imagine my suspicion when I was asked to go when I first moved here xconfusedx xlolx

No *****? Who knew?

From the banter on this board, you fellers (McNeese State fans) ought to find a great welcome up in Boone. Though, perhaps not so much on the turf, the tailgating should be great!

Looking forward to it.

FormerPokeCenter
August 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM
I've always wanted to go Snipe Hunting, but it always seems to come right in the middle of Cow Tipping season, so I'm always too busy to go ;)

McTailGator
August 21st, 2009, 10:38 AM
Make sure you get out of Atlanta before 3PM on Friday afternoon or you will had another hour on to your trip. I will be driving up from Atlanta myself for the game though no definite plans yet.

I'll actually be just north of the traffic in Woodstock, so it will be OK.

Atlanta has weird traffic. It appears that everyone that lives north of town, works south of town, and vice versa.

AppStsGr8
August 21st, 2009, 12:17 PM
I've always wanted to go Snipe Hunting, but it always seems to come right in the middle of Cow Tipping season, so I'm always too busy to go ;)

Ahhhh, cow tipping. Now there's a sport! It's easier in the mountains since the legs on one side of the cow are always shorter than those on the other side.

Seriously, can't wait to host y'all both to fine tailgating and fine football. Of course, I hope App wins comfortably - wouldn't want you to feel too much at home :)

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks to all the incredibly friendly Mountaineer fans who offered suggestions for experiencing Boone. What a wonderful place. I tried Linnville Gorge. Absolutely beautiful...

My experience in Boone was amazing. You guys have a beautiful facility and the probably the best fans I've experienced anywhere.

I've got a new OOC team to root for ;)

ASUG8
September 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I wasn't there, but I'm glad you had a positive experience (except for the game part xbawlingx). Not everyone has a bad experience in Boone. xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
September 14th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks to all the incredibly friendly Mountaineer fans who offered suggestions for experiencing Boone. What a wonderful place. I tried Linnville Gorge. Absolutely beautiful...

My experience in Boone was amazing. You guys have a beautiful facility and the probably the best fans I've experienced anywhere.

I've got a new OOC team to root for ;)

You guys have the greatest fans and a darn good football team. I'm like you, I have a new OOC team to follow and pull for unless we meet again. Best of luck in your conference play.

A photo of some of the fine MSU fans I met in Boone.