PDA

View Full Version : MSU Bobcats Show Positives on Both Sides of Ball

CrazyCat
August 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Scrimmages always bring a mixed bag, but Rob Ash was pleased with what he saw after MSU's first scrimmage of fall camp...

Rob Ash saw positive signs on both sides of the ball during his team's first scrimmage of the fall on Saturday, a controlled session that covered nearly 100 plays in Bobcat Stadium.

"Our defense is pretty good," Ash said after his that unit forced three turnovers and harassed MSU quarterbacks throughout the day. "I'm happy with that. They're quick, fast, they made plays today. Jody Owens pulled the ball away one time, (Jeff) Price made an interception... A lot of guys played hard and played well."

http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=fb&nid=19992

Not as ugly as it looked: While the Bobcats’ revamped passing offense didn’t shine during the first scrimmage Saturday, head coach Rob Ash said it had mostly to do with “protection issues.” Even with defenders in his face most of the day, first team quarterback Mark Iddins completed 9-of-15 passes for 75 yards. “When we had a pocket and were able to throw I thought our quarterbacks did a pretty decent job,” Ash said.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/bobcat-blog/?p=1292#more-1292

http://www.msubobcats.com/upload/gal2_200908161250452308.jpg
photo courtesy of MSU athletics

GOKATS
August 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I didn't make the scrim yesterday, but I did hit a couple practices this week. The Cats didn't go full pads until Fri. afternoon (1st day of two a days) and practice was interupted a couple times by lightning/hail so I left. The 'D' looks real solid, but losing Briggs at CB for the season with an ACL (an injury he suffered prior to fall camp) hurts. The 'O' is looking much better than last year (which sucked due to key injuries) and I think we'll be ok after a few more days practice. Right now Iddins is winning the QB battle. I'll hit a couple practices this week and I will make the scrim on Sat. which should be a better indicator of how things are progressing.

Go 'Cats!!

bpcats
August 17th, 2009, 01:12 AM
The impressions that I'm getting so far on this team:

The front seven is going to be very good at bringing pressure. Dane Fletcher should have a monster year, especially with Brad Smith on the other side who can develop into a Dane clone.

Our DT recruit that we picked up after Baylor went with a local will be playing a lot.

Mason will probably take over as starting running back, but we will be platooning pretty heavily depending on game situations.

We have upgraded our talent at wide receiver but since most of them are new to the system there will be a lot of miscommunication during the game.

Our left tackle Miller is having a hard time replacing the big shoes left by Saucedo. It will probably take him half a season to round into form. The rest of the line is solid.

I think that our coaches are going to go with the steady hand at quarterback (Iddins) who is more composed in the pocket, but is not as explosive as Kempt....our latest incoming freshman recruit (McGhee) will combine the best of Iddins and Kempt in the years to come.

Our safeties are going to be busy covering up for our young inexperienced corners.

The Spartans are going to shut down our offense on Sept 5th.